Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Make sure you WoWify the game

• mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hk11 wrote: »
    WoW sets the baseline for MMOs in my opinion. If a game doesn't offer the same features then it's not quite as good. I enjoy ESO a great deal, but I feel like it's missing a lot of stuff.

Barbers, transformation of item appearance, character services for rename/race/faction, etc.

WoW has a lot of things to do outside of leveling and dungeons. In that respect, I think wowifying the game would be a good thing.

As far as difficulty, I have yet to see anything in ESO as hard as organizing 25 people and then completing a raid with a large number of mechanics to overcome.

Ehr.. WoW is the baseline for hand holding and targeting LCD crowd.
    It's like saying that McDonalds is the baseline for a burger restaurant

Thanks but no, I rather avoid mediocrity if I can
  • hk11
    hk11
    ✭✭✭✭
    Khandi wrote: »
    cfurlin wrote: »
    wildstar

I stopped watching cartoons when I turned 12.

Yeah, you just sit around and play video games...

ESO is sooooooo lifelike! When I log on it looks like I'm looking into my backyard it's so real! >.>

In wow you have undead who can eat people for health. You can steal people's souls and store them in crystals, etc, etc, etc. WoW has a cartoony graphical theme, but the content is more "mature" than most other games. What other game has the /lick emote?
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭
    wildstar

ESO is sooooooo lifelike! When I log on it looks like I'm looking into my backyard it's so real! >.>

What's so awesome about not watching cartoons? I'm 45, and just caught up on the Dragonball series (original and Z); I enjoyed it quite well. Not so impressed by GT so far, but I did really like Battle of Gods - and I normally hate stuff with subtitles.

I showed my 55-year old husband the old Gargoyles series; he liked it as much as I do. My favourite name for my Khajit all across the ES series is "Severus Xanatos". I know it's not a proper Khajit name, I just dig it hard.

Animaniacs? I sort of MADE my kids watch that, so I could too, back in my 20s. I would also turn the channel to PBS for "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" specifically to avoid the Mighty Morphine Power Rangers. That silly kiddie game show taught me lots about geography!

Looking for other stuff to catch up on.

I love cartoons...I never said I didn't watch them @cfurlin made that comment. I was just pointing out the asininity of her comment :D

One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.

~Oscar Wilde

• Faolanhart
    Faolanhart
    ✭✭✭
    Get to veteran rank quests & then complain about the difficulty.
    I've managed to get through most of it so far but it hasn't been easy.
    The thing about difficulty that hardly anybody understands is that adding more enemies & making them huge damage sponges ups the difficulty but it also ups the repetition & boredom.

Personally I'd rather have "easy" content then content where I'm forced to group up & trudge through a bunch of boring damage spongey enemies.
    The boss fights are neat but I don't want the entire game to be like that.
  • Vlaxitov
    Vlaxitov
    ✭✭✭
    MMOs used to be hard.

Only someone who is used to bringing up last in any FPS deludes themselves that MMOs were ever hard.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wildstar

In wow you have undead who can eat people for health. You can steal people's souls and store them in crystals, etc, etc, etc. WoW has a cartoony graphical theme, but the content is more "mature" than most other games. What other game has the /lick emote?

That's the weirdest thing. It has a T for Teen rating. They changed the name of a Brewmaster Monk ability from "Drunken whatever" to "Dizzying whatever", because drunk-fighting isn't appropos for kids. They changed the dialogue of Ji Firepaw, because it wasn't politically correct for him to comment on a female's looks.

Yet it's a game about war and has racism inherently built into it. Um. Talk about the schizophrenic mind of the Politically Correct!

I guess in the confused PC mind, licking people is OK, just don't call them anything nasty. And fer gerd's sake - no refereces to smoking or drinking - even though Orgimmar bars have a hookah/bong on every table.

Disease-spreading habits are OK. But don't smoke in public or some PC jerk will yell at you about air pollution from his car as he's passing by. And hey, let's ban an entire breed of dog because they might bite someone - worry about terrorists getting water up their noses instead.

They even gutted Brewfest. non-alcoholic booze? If I were at an Okotberfest, I'd join the German crowd in chasing the whiny teetotallers out of town. Thinking of Kitchener, Ontario here, which used to be known as Berlin until WWI. If you've never been to their Oktoberfest, you've never been to Oktoberfest.

Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on 27 May 2014 15:30
  • dbennett707cub18_ESO
    wildstar

Is more wow like than any other game, and somehow twice as boring :(
  • Ulvich
    Ulvich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the main problem with WoW is that the level cap is too high, and is going to be higher soon.
    Imagine joining the game for the first time as a new player. You have to level 90 times (currently) before you are caught up with everyone else. And by the time you do that they have raised the cap to 100. And of course people will complain or get discouraged. So Blizzard made it easier to level.
    I sure hope ESO doesn't follow in the footsteps of WoW. This game has a lot of originality. Let's keep it that way.
    - Monster Slayer
    - Savior of Nirn
    - Adventurer Across a Decade
    - Hit Hard. Hit Fast. Hit Often
    - BETA Group: 85 b 9
  • hk11
    hk11
    ✭✭✭✭
    wildstar

Im going to give it a shot. I preordered so hopefully it's not TOO bad, but my expectations are not really high.

• mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wildstar

Im going to give it a shot. I preordered so hopefully it's not TOO bad, but my expectations are not really high.

Better that way, I tried the beta and it gave me more of a Allods Online vibe than WoW. And combat was just abysmal
    But hope you have fun
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wildstar

What's so awesome about not watching cartoons? I'm 45, and just caught up on the Dragonball series (original and Z); I enjoyed it quite well. Not so impressed by GT so far, but I did really like Battle of Gods - and I normally hate stuff with subtitles.

I showed my 55-year old husband the old Gargoyles series; he liked it as much as I do. My favourite name for my Khajit all across the ES series is "Severus Xanatos". I know it's not a proper Khajit name, I just dig it hard.

Animaniacs? I sort of MADE my kids watch that, so I could too, back in my 20s. I would also turn the channel to PBS for "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" specifically to avoid the Mighty Morphine Power Rangers. That silly kiddie game show taught me lots about geography!

Looking for other stuff to catch up on.

I love cartoons...I never said I didn't watch them @cfurlin made that comment. I was just pointing out the asininity of her comment :D

Yeah, I just couldn't be arsed to go back to find the original post. You're not the one I was criticising. Apologies for any confusion.

Hell, cartoons sometimes have more original stories than the crap Hollywood spews.

• isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wildstar

That's the impression I got, too.
  • Aoifesan
    Aoifesan
    ✭✭✭
    Prettiboi wrote: »
    Leveling should be fairly hard, only about 50% of population should be able to complete to max 50

VR content should be extremely hard, where only about 10% of the population should be able to complete it. Rewards for VR content should be the best gear possible to gear up all the elites who can complete it.

This should be the way. Making it this hard with great rewards will really make the Elitists and Pros in the game stand out. After all, they are the ones carrying the game and moving it forward.

Cater to the elitists, not to the casuals. There are tons of causal MMOs out there, GW2 being a great example. Paid subscription-based MMOs should cater to the elitsts.

Never read such nonsense in my life. If 50% of the population can't complete the game, they'll quit and that's money lost. Games are made to make money and so they are made for the majority not minority.

The "hardcore" 10% that want VR impossibly hard cannot on their own pay for the development of a game of this size. If you want "hardcore", find like-minded people and tell a company you'll be willing to pay $150pm for a few years for them to develop a "hardcore" game for you and your friends.

1) There is no completing the game in an MMO.

2) quitters never prosper and catering to quitters is like trying to build a business around the homeless being your key demographic.

3) Thanks for adding to the 'nonsense'
  • dbennett707cub18_ESO
    wildstar

I hope you enjoy it honestly. I had super high expectations and i got in early beta, and after 2 weeks I couldn't even force myself to log in anymore. I had an almost immediate dislike for the game which only got worse as I continued to play it, i tried every class to at least lvl 20 hoping there would be one I could enjoy, but meh. It somehow feels super skill-less, even in PvP, battlegrounds are meh, no real penalty for dying, just respawn and mindlessly run at enemies again.
  • Zerl
    Zerl
    ✭✭✭
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    MMOs used to be hard.

Only someone who is used to bringing up last in any FPS deludes themselves that MMOs were ever hard.

Whilst I agree that they were never "hard", the penalty for failure was considerably more harsh.

In (most) modern games, you simply have the inconvenience of travel and a gear repair cost. However in the older games, you were handed an XP loss (which at high level could potentially wipe a days worth of work).
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aoifesan wrote: »
    Leveling should be fairly hard, only about 50% of population should be able to complete to max 50

VR content should be extremely hard, where only about 10% of the population should be able to complete it. Rewards for VR content should be the best gear possible to gear up all the elites who can complete it.

This should be the way. Making it this hard with great rewards will really make the Elitists and Pros in the game stand out. After all, they are the ones carrying the game and moving it forward.

Cater to the elitists, not to the casuals. There are tons of causal MMOs out there, GW2 being a great example. Paid subscription-based MMOs should cater to the elitsts.

Never read such nonsense in my life. If 50% of the population can't complete the game, they'll quit and that's money lost. Games are made to make money and so they are made for the majority not minority.

The "hardcore" 10% that want VR impossibly hard cannot on their own pay for the development of a game of this size. If you want "hardcore", find like-minded people and tell a company you'll be willing to pay $150pm for a few years for them to develop a "hardcore" game for you and your friends.

1) There is no completing the game in an MMO.

2) quitters never prosper and catering to quitters is like trying to build a business around the homeless being your key demographic.

3) Thanks for adding to the 'nonsense'

Oh, go back to WoW and snob on LFR players, why don't you? They have raids for uberl33ts that slobs can't get into, because of folk like you with your unreasonable ilvl demands. No, I'm not going to go out and buy 560 gear just to run with you in a raid that drops 540 gear or some nonsense.

• isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zerl wrote: »
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    MMOs used to be hard.

Whilst I agree that they were never "hard", the penalty for failure was considerably more harsh.

In (most) modern games, you simply have the inconvenience of travel and a gear repair cost. However in the older games, you were handed an XP loss (which at high level could potentially wipe a days worth of work).

XP loss sucks. I hated it in the first two Diablo games, and I'm glad game designers got rid of that kind of idiocy.

American game designers, anyway. From what I understand, the Koreans are still into that kind of BS. Fortunately, I have no interest in anything from Korea.

Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on 27 May 2014 15:38
  • elblobbob14_ESO
    elblobbob14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

MMOs used to be hard. EQ1 and UO used to be hard

Sigh. See ya out there y'all.

Ya.. camping a cyclops for 2 days straight (alternating the camp with a friend), just to get a pair of stupid j-boots.. It's all yours buddy. I'll never go back to a grind like that again.

The thing I don't get is, none of the Elder Scrolls single player games are hard. That's the niche they captured. A game that is enjoyable, where the questing and exploration is the reward, not having to be uber-elite to win the game.

Why you came here, expecting something different, and then deciding to make a post bashing ESO because it's nothing like EQ1 baffles me.

Good luck finding your EQ1 clone, but it's not going to be here.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

MMOs used to be hard. EQ1 and UO used to be hard

Sigh. See ya out there y'all.

Ya.. camping a cyclops for 2 days straight (alternating the camp with a friend), just to get a pair of stupid j-boots.. It's all yours buddy. I'll never go back to a grind like that again.

The thing I don't get is, none of the Elder Scrolls single player games are hard. That's the niche they captured. A game that is enjoyable, where the questing and exploration is the reward, not having to be uber-elite to win the game.

Why you came here, expecting something different, and then deciding to make a post bashing ESO because it's nothing like EQ1 baffles me.

Good luck finding your EQ1 clone, but it's not going to be here.

Maybe he needs to look into what Korea has to offer. I hear their games are grindy, with XP loss and all that wonderful old-school garbage.
  • elblobbob14_ESO
    elblobbob14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Those are called exploiters, not elitists. .

I wouldn't go so far as to say all hard-core players are exploiters, but I also would have a hard time believing not a single V12 has ever exploited the game mechanics either.
  • Catflinger
    Catflinger
    ✭✭✭
    (and I've never even been in Ulduar myself. I don't think I can solo it, and I'm too shy to ask others to help me through it. Not in the WoW community, no way.)

As an aside, that's a real tragedy that you've never been in Ulduar. It is, hands down, some of the best PvE content in any game, ever made, period. It was best experienced back in the day at level, of course, but even now just going in there at level 90 and looking around, it's an awesome thing to behold. And it is mostly easily solo'able for 90's. One or two bosses require help and/or super skills, but most it is quite doable.

Heck, most of ICC is easily solo'able, especially on 10 Normal. Lootship is a PITA though.
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zerl wrote: »
    wildstar

I'm glad I'm not the only 1 who thinks this.

On a side note, Zeni... PLEASE FIX LAWN MOWING XP!

Yes, it's very hard to find rats in long swamp grass, for a quest my lizard Dragonknight has. Please mow the grass so I can see the little bitty rats better. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hell, I live in a place that claims to be rat-free and actually has a government sponsered Rat Patrol. We're legally obligated to call these guys if we so much as see anyting that even looks like a rat. It's almost a habit to put an arrow through any rats I see in ESO towns.
    Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on 27 May 2014 15:58
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    If you want hard go make up some crazy character combination...say a double bow DK! Problem solved, game is hard!
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a double bow NB. Is that supposed to be hard? I'm finding it to be near cake-walk. By my standards, at least.

Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on 27 May 2014 16:06
  • LIQUID741
    LIQUID741
    ✭✭✭
    phairdon wrote: »
    Thing is though; the increase in damage by veteran level mobs was unintentional. Getting 2 shot killed does not make the game fun just makes questing impossible.
    Increased difficulty would be fine if players could rely on finding groups to roam with. Then again do we want all veteran content to be playable by groups only?

This game has a group finder? Ive tried to use it...but it's completely pathetic with 0 incentive for the masses to use. 2014MMO that concentrated on voices rather than the broken gameplay, bots GONE WILD, no end-game, a pathetic excuse for a AH, and did I mention bots GONE WILD?
    Solid-Nightblade of AD
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a double bow NB. Is that supposed to be hard? I'm finding it to be near cake-walk. By my standards, at least.

You just wait my friend...just wait...You won't be able to do that if you plan on playing VR content or actually DPS in groups!
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real problem is a lot of people who just fundamentally don't like RPG games play MMORPGs for some weird reason.

They find questing boring. They hate leveling up. They hate exploring. They hate RPG games.

But they still play them for some weird reason. So instead of taking the time to actually enjoy the game (since they fundamentally hate everything about RPG games) they rush to try and get the game over with as fast as possible. Then get upset if they add new content that makes them play the game more.

I blame the advent of social media for it. They don't view Elder Scrolls as an actual RPG game that is about a journey through a fantasy world. They want it more like facebook with a mindless mini-game attached so they can plow through everything with minimal effort while chatting.

Edited by Jeremy on 27 May 2014 16:48
  • Milktray
    Milktray
    ✭✭✭
    [/quote]
    Elitists are the ones holding the torch, leading the way. First ones in, leading the charge to down the bosses, figure out the mechanics, and post them online so everybody else will be able to do it too. They are the ones who write the guides, give the tips that YOU ALL USE to your benefit. Without these elitists, you wouldn't be where you are today in-game. It is the elitists who SHAPE the game, give feedback to the devs, etc. Not the casuals. Remember this next time you think elitists are "but a tiny part".[/quote]

Umm .. you DO know that casuals isn't actually as large a part of the PB as you think? Given that many of us play for more than a few hours in one sitting, multiple sittings per day.

As for the guides, tips etc i think you'll find that gets posted by Casuals upwards and the feedback is given by more than just elitists ..

Like god knows how many other's i've spent more than my fair time beta testing, ESO, SWTOR, DDO: EU, CoH EU, AoC, GW, Rift etc etc etc and it by no way Elitists who Shape a game by feedback.

This is why people tell you to get off your high horses.

ZoS please understand everyone thinks and pronounces things differently, so please add to your 'rules' that things get removed if the Mod doesn't actually quite understand phrasing
  • Phantorang
    Phantorang
    ✭✭✭✭
    HandofBane wrote: »

Why don't YOU leave to your elite game? Afterall, people like you pay only a tiny part of the bill.

Elitists are the ones holding the torch, leading the way. First ones in, leading the charge to down the bosses, figure out the mechanics, and post them online so everybody else will be able to do it too. They are the ones who write the guides, give the tips that YOU ALL USE to your benefit. Without these elitists, you wouldn't be where you are today in-game. It is the elitists who SHAPE the game, give feedback to the devs, etc. Not the casuals. Remember this next time you think elitists are "but a tiny part".

Elitists are the ones rolling with multiple players on PTS looking for ways to abuse broken mechanics and failing to report bugs and exploits to the devs so they can get through content all the faster once it goes live. They are the ones responsible for things like the guild bank dupe making it live and failing to be stopped for several weeks. They are the ones responsible for Dark Talons/Bat Swarm abuse becoming so rampant some campaigns never saw a change of Emperor for a week or more at a time.

So yeah, get back to us when the elitists stop looking out for themselves first and actually give a *** about the game, balance, and what the devs actually do the improve the game for all players.

So nice! :) So called "elitists" use exploits to their advantage, and if exploits are possible, they will use them, they wont risk "falling behind" by not using them.
    Edited by Phantorang on 27 May 2014 18:54
    Fimbulwinter Recruiting true Vikings | Campaigns score | EU PC
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand the point of wanting the game to be more difficult. But for someone like me, I don't want the game to be overly difficult. I don't play this game to challenge myself. I have a mentally challenging job. I have a wife and lots of children, I think there were 6 of them last time I counted. 3 are off at college, but god, there's still 3 at home. I swear I'm going to die before I ever know the joy of using a bathroom in peace and quiet.

Granted, I'm too old and never was able to enjoy an MMO in my teens or free-wheeling college days, so I don't know what playing for 12 hours straight in a computer game feels like. But I imagine you get way too good at it and it gets boring, so I totally get what you're aiming for.

But hear people like me, too, people on the other side of the coin, people who get like maybe an hour or so a day to play computer games.
    I don't want to be overly challenged when i play a computer game.
    Yeah, I said it. I'm not ashamed. I want to kill something. I want it to be just enough of a challenge that it isn't too easy, but I want things to end with him bloody on the ground and me looting his steaming corpse.

Edited by Reivax on 27 May 2014 19:05