The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Storm Atronach needs major love

Joy_Division
Joy_Division
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
For 200 ultimate, this is what you get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mr815VxEwI

That Mammoth was still at 60% health after the Atronach's 18 seconds of damage! The Storm Atronach is a stationary summon that can be killed, CCed, or avoided that did here about 3,250 DPS. Light attack spam gets this character 5,000 DPS. My liquid lightning DoT gets me over 4,000 DPS ... and it's an AOE. This is not an ultimate by the literal definition or when comparing it to the ultimate so many serious sorcerer players consider, Overload.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0IASTY-04k

Completely obliterated in 5 seconds. Using only 132 ultimate. And I have nothing on this character speced for Overload: I've seen PvE DPS specs get their criticals to hit for nearly 50K, twice what I am doing here.

I am very disappointed in this patch intended for class balance and adjustment, that I have to play my sorcerer the exact same way as I do now in Live.

If I am asked to do the new trial, I have to slot two toggles, use two swords to devote to an Overload bar, and basically play like every other sorcerer has been doing since the release of 1.6. Boring. Shouldn't a new patch devoted to balance make me excited to play the game and try new things?

When I PvP, if I do not want to rely on Overload because of the large number of reflect builds, I have to go outside my class to get an ultimate because Storm Atronach is so bad and Negate is only useful in large group fights. I think it is very poor game design when players have to look outside their classes just to slot an ultimate that is worthy of that name (look at your templar players nodding in agreement).

ZoS, you made a concerted effort in this patch to make pets more interesting and viable. You do this with every patch. Why has the Storm Atronach been allowed to be relegated to such an uninspiring status? Even with this patch, I know you tried in giving the Storm Atronach a break free after 4 seconds of being CC'ed and resuming it's channel 2 seconds after interruption. But wait a minute. What other 200 ultimate ability can I simply make stop working for any length of time by using a generic CC skill or an interrupt? I guess Meteor before this DLC...but now that's getting changed. The fact that the Atro can be CCed at all is another sign it's a regular ability and not an ultimate. And nothing has been done to address its damage as a single target DoT that is less than my regular AoE DoT. There is a reason why other sorcerer players commented on my guide to Maelstrom arena that I was playing class ineffectively, sub-optimally, or downright wrong for not using Overload.

My suggestion:
  1. Do NOT nerf Overload. You have made the class such that it relies on it for DPS and it wouldn't be fair or fun to nerf it because Storm Atronach is so bad. Rather provide alternatives.
  2. Make Storm Atronach a regular ability (drop the stun and tone the damage to what is deemed acceptable) and replace the uninspiring and poorly designed Bound Armaments toggle that sorcerer DPS has to slot because the magic it provides is too large to pass up. It fits right in with the need that sorcerer players like myself who wanted to play a summoner, but do not want to be tied to toggles and have to babysit "pets." We needed summons like in previous Elder Scrolls games that are of the fire and forget variety, that do useful and interesting things just upon being casted and then go away after a short duration.
  3. This, of course, would mean we need to replace the Daedric Summoning ultimate. Yes! Let us summon something worthy of that title. Like this guy:

256?cb=20131209035913

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdU4V3bNn-g

Edited by Joy_Division on February 10, 2016 12:10AM
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Atronach isn't just damage though, and certainly not single target damage. I'll admit it's not the greatest but it's also not the worst ult we have. Negate needs way more attention. As a side note your atronach benefits the same way all pets do, the more magicka you have and also points into thaumaturge and elemental expert both increase it's DPS. If you go with daedric prey it also increases it damage. As far it dying it can use your wards and it can even be healed.
    :trollin:
  • Father_X_Zombie
    Father_X_Zombie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea....storm atronach is very weak, i wish the damage was buffed up a bit. the duration too mabye.
    GT: AK x Zombie

Marcurio Avidius - Breton Sorcerer - The Flawless Conquerer - General
    Raven Avidius - Imperial Nightblade - Stormproof
    Cicero Avidius - Imperial Templar - First Sergeant
    Audens Avidius - Breton Templar - Stormproof
    Jimi Hendrix - Redguard Dragonknight - Stormproof
    Leliana Artaine - Breton Nightblade - Stormproof
    Brutus Decinus - Imperial Sorcerer - Stormproof AD
    Wait aren't you DC - Dark elf Nightblade EP
    Achilleus Infernium - Breton Dragonknight
    Claudia Aurella - Imperial Warden
    DC NA XB1

RIP XB1 NA Chillrend 2015-2017
    Home to emp farmers and roleplayers
    Put out of its misery by Brian Wheeler

• Armann
    Armann
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why they allow the Storm Atronach to be CC'd in the first place. Replacing it with another Daedra could also work especially if they ever release spellcrafting so fire, frost and storm atronachs are available to all classes.
    EU megaserver | XboxNord Nightblade | Ebonheart PactImperial Dragonknight | Ebonheart PactDunmer Sorcerer | Ebonheart PactDunmer Warden | Ebonheart PactOrc Necromancer | Daggerfall CovenantAltmer Templar | Aldmeri Dominion
  • Zaryc
    Zaryc
    ✭✭✭
    Armann wrote: »
    I don't understand why they allow the Storm Atronach to be CC'd in the first place. Replacing it with another Daedra could also work especially if they ever release spellcrafting so fire, frost and storm atronachs are available to all classes.

qwegogmvylm6.jpg

Sorry, I had to do this :p
  • Armann
    Armann
    ✭✭✭
    Zaryc wrote: »
    Armann wrote: »

qwegogmvylm6.jpg

Sorry, I had to do this :p

giphy.gif
    EU megaserver | XboxNord Nightblade | Ebonheart PactImperial Dragonknight | Ebonheart PactDunmer Sorcerer | Ebonheart PactDunmer Warden | Ebonheart PactOrc Necromancer | Daggerfall CovenantAltmer Templar | Aldmeri Dominion
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atronach isn't just damage though, and certainly not single target damage. I'll admit it's not the greatest but it's also not the worst ult we have. Negate needs way more attention. As a side note your atronach benefits the same way all pets do, the more magicka you have and also points into thaumaturge and elemental expert both increase it's DPS. If you go with daedric prey it also increases it damage. As far it dying it can use your wards and it can even be healed.

Are you suggesting that it would be better for me to use 200 ultimate and devote additional resources and mana to keeping it alive for 18 seconds for modest damage and the off chance that an unintelligent enemy might target it instead of using 132 ultimate to eliminate the enemy altogether in 5 seconds? Of course I *could* do that, but why would I?

Now here's the thing.

You don't come out and say it, but you seem to be implying that the point of my post is incorrect and that the Storm Atronach ultimate is at an acceptable place (even if it's not great). OK, can you provide some evidence outside of anecdotes and the sort of fast and vague incomplete theory-crafting you offer? How many of the top Maelstrom Arena Leaderboards use Storm Atronach instead of Overload? Should be SOME right, because, as you say, the atronach is not single target damage and there are many enemies in the arena. And the atronach can drawn off potential aggro, surely useful right? So who uses it? Anyone?

I used it. And my best time is not in the top 100. Is this a L2P issue on my part because I'm not a skilled player who does not know how to make a good build with Atronach? Possible. I have a PvP build that is neither devoted to pets or DPS. Or is this a L2P issue on my part because I insist on using a terrible ultimate because I find sleeping on a bed of nails more enjoyable than the Overload-toggle style sorcerer? Judging from the commentary I received from my Maelstrom guide from players who were actually on those Leaderboards, it's the latter.

How many builds on sites dedicated to people showcasing or bragging about their characters are devoted to the Storm Atronach? You might think Thelon, the "Unholy Herdsman," devoted to pets. But even he, who has taken pet theorycrafting farther than probably anyone else, does not use Storm Atronach! In the most challenging encounters he has recently posted on his channel, he's using Overload and Meteor for his ultimates.

Whenever someone uses Storm Atrnoach in PvP, my raid leader literally laughs and tells us to regain ultimate. I do not think it is at all an acceptable state of affairs that someone's ultimate that costs 200 points can even be considered a joke that elicits mockery. The Atrnoach can potentially be useful in a duel situation as it can prompt an opponent to move, but this is stretching the definition of useful as meteor - especially now on the PTS as it cannot be reflectable - is a potential fight winner. As is, of course, Overload.

Who is using Storm Atronach and - winning - in competitive situations? A class ultimate should not be a niche ability. Or something that I'd only slot for a potential in solo PvP. To be honest, I hope I am wrong and I can play some other way. Maybe I just missed the DPS specs out there who pull top numbers with atronach. Or those PvP guilds who PuGs fear because of their extensive use of atronachs. I'd be thrilled to L2Atronach.

Edited by Joy_Division on February 9, 2016 6:53PM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well to be fair you chose the aoe version of the attro for your showcase.

The problem all pets of the sorc class have is: They only scale with max magica and not spelldmg. On top of that you have an otherwise useless curse morph with no other means than buffing petdmg (just make it a snare getting progresively stronger 45 to 70% over 5s with the explosion in the end). Raise petdmg flatout by the amount buffed by curse atm.

IF (big if really) you build your character for pet dmg they can be pretty solid. However it´s simply a stupid design decision to have pets (and basically the whole skillline) scale differently from everything else (apart from curse all skills in deadric summoning are 100% magica based). You can never try things. You can´t mix and match. If go for pets of any form you have to fully commit to this. That´s the underlying problem in my opinion.

If you´d buff attronarch to a level where it´s worthwile on normal builds it would be stupidly op on a petbuild (edit: i should add that attro is only ever useful in duels).
    Edited by Derra on February 9, 2016 6:55PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• bikerangelo
    bikerangelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10/10 would trade storm atronach for radial sweep.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Are you suggesting that it would be better for me to use 200 ultimate and devote additional resources and mana to keeping it alive for 18 seconds for modest damage and the off chance that an unintelligent enemy might target it instead of using 132 ultimate to eliminate the enemy altogether in 5 seconds? Of course I *could* do that, but why would I?
    I never said any of that. I wouldn't use the Atronach in Maelstrom Arena personally. There are far better choices. If you choose to, bully for you. The Atronach like all ultimates is situational. It doesn't just do DPS.
    Now here's the thing.

You don't come out and say it, but you seem to be implying that the point of my post is incorrect and that the Storm Atronach ultimate is at an acceptable place (even if it's not great). OK, can you provide some evidence outside of anecdotes and the sort of fast and vague incomplete theory-crafting you offer? How many of the top Maelstrom Arena Leaderboards use Storm Atronach instead of Overload? Should be SOME right, because, as you say, the atronach is not single target damage and there are many enemies in the arena. And the atronach can drawn off potential aggro, surely useful right? So who uses it? Anyone?
    See that's just it. I didn't say it. I am not one to mince words either. I tend to say what I mean. The problem isn't that I implied anything. You inferred it. Incorrectly. Why is the benchmark of success or viability of an ultimate based upon Maelstrom Arena? There are other things to do in the game.
    I used it. And my best time is not in the top 100. Is this a L2P issue on my part because I'm not a skilled player who does not know how to make a good build with Atronach? Possible. I have a PvP build that is neither devoted to pets or DPS. Or is this a L2P issue on my part because I insist on using a terrible ultimate because I find sleeping on a bed of nails more enjoyable than the Overload-toggle style sorcerer? Judging from the commentary I received from my Maelstrom guide from players who were actually on those Leaderboards, it's the latter.
    You can use whatever you like as long it works for you. If the Atronach isn't working for you, don't use it. I was only stating that if any of our ultimates needed some love it would be Negate. You have more than just your class ultimates BTW. Sometimes I use Meteor, or Barrier, or even Clouding Swarm. I know that Dawnbreaker is popular by some. Not my preference, but if it works for others so be it.
    How many builds on sites dedicated to people showcasing or bragging about their characters are devoted to the Storm Atronach? You might think Thelon, the "Unholy Herdsman," devoted to pets. But even he, who has taken pet theorycrafting farther than probably anyone else, does not use Storm Atronach! In the most challenging encounters he has recently posted on his channel, he's using Overload and Meteor for his ultimates.
    That's his choice. It is a part of my pet build, and it works great for me as a CC and AoE DPS. It's not that difficult to keep it alive either. You have to cast your ward anyway. And Combat Prayer buffs it too BTW. I don't' expect you would know that since you have already written it off as useless.
    Whenever someone uses Storm Atrnoach in PvP, my raid leader literally laughs and tells us to regain ultimate. I do not think it is at all an acceptable state of affairs that someone's ultimate that costs 200 points can even be considered a joke that elicits mockery. The Atrnoach can potentially be useful in a duel situation as it can prompt an opponent to move, but this is stretching the definition of useful as meteor - especially now on the PTS as it cannot be reflectable - is a potential fight winner. As is, of course, Overload.
    Again I don't personally use it PvP, but I have used it in the past. Unlike your raid leader I can see it's value in PvP. You drop the Atronach on flags and instantly stuns all the casters around the flag and then does damage to them AoE, and unlike other AoEs they tend to focus on the pet as the new threat. If you cast against other players it has a similar effect of causing a stun and it's fairly large so they tend to hit it instead of you. Those are just a couple of scenarios. I'm sure someone more creative than me can come up with more.
    Who is using Storm Atronach and - winning - in competitive situations? To be honest, I hope I am wrong and I can play some other way. Maybe I just missed the DPS specs out there who pull top numbers with atronach. Or those PvP guilds who PuGs fear because of their extensive use of atronachs. I'd be thrilled to L2Atronach.
    Again, it's not always about top numbers. You really need to move away from myopic thinking.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    Well to be fair you chose the aoe version of the attro for your showcase.

The problem all pets of the sorc class have is: They only scale with max magica and not spelldmg. On top of that you have an otherwise useless curse morph with no other means than buffing petdmg (just make it a snare getting progresively stronger 45 to 70% over 5s with the explosion in the end). Raise petdmg flatout by the amount buffed by curse atm.

IF (big if really) you build your character for pet dmg they can be pretty solid. However it´s simply a stupid design decision to have pets (and basically the whole skillline) scale differently from everything else (apart from curse all skills in deadric summoning are 100% magica based). You can never try things. You can´t mix and match. If go for pets of any form you have to fully commit to this. That´s the underlying problem in my opinion.

If you´d buff attronarch to a level where it´s worthwile on normal builds it would be stupidly op on a petbuild (edit: i should add that attro is only ever useful in duels).

I saw her in Orsinium yesterday and she had 22,751 HP. I can only assume her magicka pool barely reaches 30k. Of course the Atronach isn't going to do much damage with such low magicka.
    Edited by eventide03b14a_ESO on February 9, 2016 7:13PM
  • zerosingularity
    zerosingularity
    ✭✭✭✭
    I slot Storm Atro on my spam bar... for the resource regen passive!

Obviously Overload or Meteor on my back bar.
    NA-PC

Kaineth - Stamina Nightblade (Weakest Player Ever!)
    Elena Stormwood - Magicka Sorcerer (vMA no Death 12/21/15 Score 401148)
    Sheila Feyrondas - Magicka Dragonknight Tank (Frost staves are gonna be fun!)

*Disclaimer* I fail at emotional communication, so assume what I say is NOT meant to be offensive.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @eventide03b14a_ESO

If you are going to call me out for implying stuff you didn't say, you should not do the same to me. I did not write Atronach off as useless - indeed if I use it (as plainly admitted), then there is no question that your inference is wrong. Yet you wrote it anyway. I said it needed a buff.

Am I wrong? You say it works great for you yet do not use in an instance ZoS designed for leaderboards because you claim there are far better choices [!]. That's pretty damning. No, Maelstrom isn't the only instance and it's not always about the numbers, but numbers drive the competition in this game and if very few sorcerers are using Storm Atronach in the new Trial and hardly any of the most prominent PvP guilds are dropping Atrnoachs on Castle Flags (err, they use Negate), then that indicates that my thinking is perhaps not so myopic
    Edited by Joy_Division on February 9, 2016 8:26PM
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @eventide03b14a_ESO

If you are going to call me out for implying stuff you didn't say, you should not do the same to me. I did not write Atronach off as useless - indeed if I use it (as plainly admitted), then there is no question that your inference is wrong. Yet you wrote it anyway. I said it needed a buff.

Am I wrong? You say it works great for you yet not use in an instance ZoS designed for leaderboards because you claim there are far better choices [!]. That's pretty damning. No, Maelstrom isn't the only instance and it's not always about the numbers, but numbers drive the competition in this game and if very few sorcerers are using Storm Atronach in the new Trial and hardly any of the most prominent PvP guilds are dropping Atrnoachs on Castle Flags (err, they use Negate), then that indicates that my thinking is perhaps not so myopic

That paragraph was barely coherent. I took what you had said and I parsed it. I thought I was rather clear about pointing out your logical fallacies. Obviously it didn't work. I see no point in carrying on this pointless debate.
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cost of attro should be reduced to like 50. OP?

It does lightning damage, slow aoe or only single target. Its only significant damage is the damage it does on impact. Otherwise it acts as a defensive unit, but because the cost is too high (not to mention it takes an ulti slot) it isnt useful. It doesnt move.

Then look at batswarm which can have its cost reduced to under 50, is a character centered AoE AND makes you invisible or heals you, and does massive damage.

><
    Edited by Cathexis on February 9, 2016 8:43PM
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's his choice.

ywie2.jpg
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a stamina sorcerer I am inclined to agree that storm atronach is pretty weak. If it was immune to cc it would be better and with significantly more health. Then maybe I could you it for area denial? Hmm nah it will still only be useful for the regen passive.
  • Mumyo
    Mumyo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    is this a joke?
    Edited by Mumyo on February 9, 2016 10:00PM
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like sorcs need buffed? Am i in some alternate reality here?
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like sorcs need buffed? Am i in some alternate reality here?

not sure if you've ever used atro before but its garbage. It almost never does anything except act as a meatshield.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mumyo wrote: »
    is this a joke?

Go cry in your templar topics.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Birdovic
    Birdovic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1st: Combine Greater and Charged Atronach into 1 Morph

2nd: Turn the 2nd Morph into a Frost Atronach which behaves like regular seen Frost Atronachs with all their attacks, but on Summon roots up to 6 People for 3 seconds, and chills / slows the rest in a Radius similar to Nova from Templar . This Version would allow the Winterborn set be more useful because there is almost NO Frost based Abilities at all. Also results in a really interesting Ult because its "Alive" and fights aside you like the other summoned stuff.

3rd: Make both Morphs immune to CC
    Edited by Birdovic on February 9, 2016 10:33PM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1st: Combine Greater and Charged Atronach into 1 Morph

2nd: Turn the 2nd Morph into a Frost Atronach which behaves like regular seen Frost Atronachs with all their attacks, but on Summon roots up to 6 People for 3 seconds, and chills / slows the rest in a Radius similar to Nova from Templar . This Version would allow the Winterborn set be more useful because there is almost NO Frost based Abilities at all. Also results in a really interesting Ult because its "Alive" and fights aside you like the other summoned stuff.

3rd: Make both Morphs immune to CC

Would sign up for that.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use it on my back bar (mobility bar) on my stam Sorc. The regen is the main reason. The aoe stun can be helpful, but I forgot about it after that.
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i feel they need to lower the ulti cost a little and allow it to scale with either spell damage or weapon damage (maybe even both?) and negate defo needs a cost lower for how lame it is, but thats for another day.

and the synergy for storm is quite pathetic, so short if they don't tone the cost done they will need to boost the duration of this as well.
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• KenaPKK
    KenaPKK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Overload and Atro are just fine from a PvP perspective. Atro is good, and Overload is op af. Idk about PvE though.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC original dueling and general PvP community guild
    Now the hub of competitive dueling and the joined PvP communities of NA and EU/PC

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atro is only useful in 1v1 pvp. I would take just about anything else over attro as it is.

I would love to see attro become a regular pet ability, then it could actually have utility.
    Edited by Cathexis on February 9, 2016 11:31PM
    Praise Malacath.
  • NativeJoe
    NativeJoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to run a pvp pet build with 56k magic (sub 300 champ points) , and it was pretty effective pre-50% damage nerf and EVERYONE having vigor. I built it because I was tired of meteor being reflected and killing myself with my own spell power haha, So I'd pet explode for 16-22k, keep my twilight focused on my target (even hit if the opponent was going into stealth or dodge rolling) and atronoch for when people got to crafty and I'd run around it, letting others cast their ultimates into it instead of me. Sypher even acknowledged and complemented me on the non-cookie cutter build that actually got him solo a few times.

After the 50% damage nerf, and they moved vigor down so everyone who has done a week of pvp has vigor... the pets just didn't burst enough to kill. Next patch they remove the explosion so pet builds have zero burst damage potential. And with atronoch being CC able and meteor now being unreflectable there is ZERO reason to use it. Please note that "pet" gear has not been available since VR12 ~necropotence. (besides stamina set pet summons which don't go off max mana but weapon damage, and are incredibly hard to get a proc off of, and those are melee range pets so they have to run to the enemy or chase them to get any dps whatsoever in)
    Edited by NativeJoe on February 9, 2016 11:36PM
    650cp+ Sorcerer 100+ days /played
    Broken'Stick North American Server
    https://www.twitch.tv/trixytricks
  • SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't allow you to get new toys while we, rest of the classes, are so much weaker in comparison..

joke aside, while I can't give you any input on sorc balance I can share your sentiment on not enough new and exciting things for some classes. Whithout a combat thief guild skill bar, almost any change on weapon lines. It's a bit dissapointing. Hopefuly the Dark Brotherhood dlc is different.
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disclaimer: My perspective is PvE centric

There's some misinformation going on in here, thought I'd clear it up...
    Derra wrote: »
    They only scale with max magica and not spelldmg.
    No, the Atronach scales with both Spell Damage and Magicka, as an ultimate should. This is easily testable by obtaining your normal strike strength/zap strength, downing a spell pot, and casting it again.
    dsalter wrote: »
    and the synergy for storm is quite pathetic, so short if they don't tone the cost down they will need to boost the duration of this as well.
    25% damage increase for your buddy for 8 seconds isn't good? If they're a strong dps (assume: 20-25kps) it adds 40-50k damage from them alone, just as much damage as some ultimates do normally.

Atronach vs Overload is not an apples to apples comparison. It's like comparing Standard to Werewolf. Atronach vs Meteor is closer; Both are initial strike plus avoidable bonus damage. Here's some test numbers of Greater Storm Atro vs Ice Comet.

Gearing is Julianos/Willpower 3 Spell Glyphs/Kena 1 piece/ Maelstrom Sharpened staff/ 501cp 100EE/ 66Elfborn/ 7 Divines Thief. Both parses are buffed with Surge, Combat Prayer, and Elemental Drain. Greater Atro was buffed with Daedric Curse.
    gcBxfmp.png
    I had real difficulty getting a one-skill kill with Ice Comet. I either had to crit on the direct damage and a good number of the dots, or nearly every dot, as pictured. Mammoths often lived through it with 2-10k health, assuming they did not charge out of the Ice dot. Stating average cast strength in full spell gear as 110-120k HP, then, is reasonable. Mammoths have 133.1k.

5q2Xbk4.jpg
    The Atronach, on the other hand, readily defeated the Mammoth. It used 16 of its possible 23 Zap strikes, and was alive for 8 seconds past the death of the Mammoth. With my crit (65%) and the average Zap strength, it'd be fair to say that an Atronach cast does 175k or so with my stats. Daedric Prey was worth 50k of that number; removing its damage buff would bring the skill's total damage down to par with Ice Comet.

Now, there are differences of course. Meteor is vastly superior in AoE situations, and it also scales much better with Champion Points. Elemental Expert and Thaumaturge will both increase its damage under the current PTS system; Only Elemental Expert increases the Atronach's damage, and only the initial strike. The Zap skill is impossible to buff directly with CP. Neither Ele Expert, Thaumaturge, Mighty, Elfborn, nor Precise Strikes managed to increase its value. The Atronach, like all pets, is locked to 1.5x crit damage.
    On the other hand, it's much harder to get out of range of the Atronach's bonus damage; targets which don't disable it through death or cc are likely to take the entire duration. It's also possible for your teammates to increase its damage or survivability, through synergizing or directly buffing it with Combat Prayer/Ele Drain/ Siphon Spirit (the health regen does apply to pets)/ Barrier/ etc. Haven't tested everything that could possibly land on it.

It's hard for me to say which one is better, I'd have to take it on a challenge-by-challenge basis, which I frankly don't care to do. Because it has vitality and entity presence, you'd have to take care of *when* to cast the Atronach. Dropping it during the poison or World Shaper phase of Sanctum would be a bad idea, for example. If Zeni were to buff it, I'd say it'd be pretty straightforward. Make CP matter to Daedra!

And no, I wouldn't use it in vMA either. But, an ultimate doesn't need to be universal for it to be useful o:)
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sheer fact that Atronach scales off Elemental Expert makes it essentially useless for stamina sorcerers, along with Overload, Meteor, and pretty much everything else except for werewolf. Just as well stamina sorcerers have such great non ultimate options... Oh that's right, we don't.