The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

User interface and quality of life problems! ESO 2.0 is good... let's make it better.

• AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minimap: It's annoying to have to constantly stop and open the big map to tell where things are and the landscape, rather than being able to glance at the corner of the screen and still be aware of the game world during a quick look. Frustration = annoyed customers = less favorability towards the game = lower player counts.

Yes, please, this! So much this! Preferrably yesterday!

• Adhal
    Adhal
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with most, however I wanted to point out the first person for slider has been in game since... 1.4 or 1.5
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Adhal wrote: »
    Agree with most, however I wanted to point out the first person for slider has been in game since... 1.4 or 1.5

That is true, I think 1.3 actually, though I had been referring to when the third person one arrived, not the first :).
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭
    Adhal wrote: »

That is true, I think 1.3 actually, though I had been referring to when the third person one arrived, not the first :).

Sounds right @Attorneyatlawl. I'd really like to see a positive @ZOS comment on this whole thread...
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked with some google-fu. It was even earlier than I remembered, actually arriving in live version 1.2.0 for the first-person field of view slider.

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All of these things were true over a year ago.

They are still true.

And to make things worse the addon functionality was strangleholded to make a lot of things not possible for those of us who prefer them because they would be considered too valuable as functions (seeing an enemy's stamina or magicka bar, for instance), when it would've been much simpler to implement them into the base UI and let us toggle what we want and don't want on or off.
    Edited by Carde on March 30, 2015 3:42PM
    Member of the Psijic Order PTS Group
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SCREEN CLUUTER = I do not want it. I love the min UI and I want to keep that way! I do not want to be forced to used. I do not care if a so called "standard MMO" (aka WoW clone) has it or not. ESO is it's own game!

Combat log: = NO!
    Scrolling combat text: NO!
    Minimap: NO!
    AH =NO!
    Edited by k9mouse on March 30, 2015 3:53PM
  • Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    k9mouse wrote: »
    SCREEN CLUUTER = I do not want it. I love the min UI and I want to keep that way! I do not want to be forced to used. I do not care if a so called "standard MMO" (aka WoW clone) has it or not. ESO is it's own game!

AH =NO!

Ahhh, makes sense, then. Thanks for deciding how I should play the game!
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

AH =NO!

Yes, eso is a game, though I wouldn't have thought that was a debate? The rest of your post may be in the wrong thread, however, because forcing your screen to show these features was never talked about, and no one ever even mentioned changing the game itself either. Your playstyle is not the only one, so instead of complaining about potential improvements for most people, how about backing them up to have the options implemented so they too can play how they want like you can already?

By the way, a user interface isn't a game. It just helps tell you what is happening in the already-existing game that's currently occurring right now ;).

✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Carde wrote: »
    All of these things were true over a year ago.

They are still true.

And to make things worse the addon functionality was strangleholded to make a lot of things not possible for those of us who prefer them because they would be considered too valuable as functions (seeing an enemy's stamina or magicka bar, for instance), when it would've been much simpler to implement them into the base UI and let us toggle what we want and don't want on or off.

Yep. I saw, interestingly enough, the same resistance from random people about adding third person camera options and how it was pointless , would waste mythical "dev time", and ruin the game, somehow, even though the same people demanded overhead options for chat bubbles. They now come into threads about other game-improving options being asked for and post the same unrelated complaints out of the context of any existing discussion therein, like clockwork.

✭✭✭✭

AH =NO!

If anyone truly wants to be a minimalist, the play with the hide UI function on. Even if you don't want to go that far, there are already options to show or hide action bars, health bars, alliance indicators, chat bubbles, NPC glow, and many more. Even many of the addons that already provide some of these UI enhancements have options to turn off the portions you'd rather not see.
    Daggerfall Covenant (PC-NA)

The Order of Mundus | Nightfighters
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Daveheart wrote: »

AH =NO!

If anyone truly wants to be a minimalist, the play with the hide UI function on. Even if you don't want to go that far, there are already options to show or hide action bars, health bars, alliance indicators, chat bubbles, NPC glow, and many more. Even many of the addons that already provide some of these UI enhancements have options to turn off the portions you'd rather not see.

Health bars are a crutch. And alliance indicators. You should know what spells you hit them with anyway and tell from the environmental cues whether they're severely injured and retreating... and you can easily tell friend from foe by seeing who's attacking near you! ;) Just taking his argument to its logical endpoint. In reality, as you said, people turn on or off options to suit their preferences. The problem is that there are many missing options still, so they only work well for a small part of the playerbase so far.

✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't really like the battle recap that shows me what killed me and for how much it killed me for.

Mostly because its only being informative after I've already died and I'd prefer it was showing me stuff while I was alive.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really like the battle recap that shows me what killed me and for how much it killed me for.

Mostly because its only being informative after I've already died and I'd prefer it was showing me stuff while I was alive.

Yeah, it only shows a handful of things that actually happened, does so after the fact, and blobs them together to boot. It's not very useful compared to being able to see that kind of info concisely while actually playing for example. I think some people would be happy to see it removed, since it just adds to screen clutter :D.

✭✭✭✭✭

I kinda like it, because when I get wrecked in a dungeon and see that I took 3x my total health pool in one hit, I just...

53239-jerry-seinfeld-Im-out-gif-0qdn.gif
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Even better, you have no way of seeing why you got hit that hard ;).

✭✭✭✭✭
    100% with you.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    spoqster wrote: »
    100% with you.

Thank you for your comment! I've slacked on making a quick mock-up, but am aiming to get around to that today :).

✭✭✭✭
    While I think it is really lame that ESO just can't do it themselves, Foundry Tactical (FTC) addon will do a lot of what you are asking. I do think it is really stupid that we need add-ons to figure out how much damage we are doing, though.
  • rayeab16_ESO
    rayeab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    it is much better to have lots of OPTIONS to turn things on and off in a game.
    no matter how zen they want the UI to be, players will want info.
    RAIDers need info, their healers need to know who stepped in what, who's under any form of DoT/status effect. their tanks need to know how much mana their main and off healers still have. usualay in any game, the info is needed.

while its nice there are add ons for these things, you guys need to stop using them as a get out of argment excuse. (when i say *you guys* i mean the general forum going population)
    the next wave is comming...consoles. and they cannot use add ons.
    its much better to add in these options now, BEFOR they arrive and start getting angry that they cant turn these things on/off.

i personaly have never used add ons, because i dont need them. sure, there are nice ones for crafters and shard gathering and so on, but i havent got the need for them because i play in such a lazy-arse way that i dont need to be affective or have all skills ect. and i prefer not having to give up something i have become dependant on (after the maker of the add on moved to new games and gives up on the one im playing) i got sick of having to update add ons all the time with WoW, and those were just RP add ons and a bejeweled one for flying lol.

so i agree with nearly everything Attorneyatlawl is sugesting. the more info you can have (if you want it, turn it on) the better. if you dont want it, dont use it, dont turn it on. and when you start the game up for the first time, let it ask you if you want the standard, minimal UI or if you want the complex, information heavy UI on. that way you can change later.

oh, and whats your avatar Attorneyatlawl? it reminds me of a Cluster lizard from lex :)
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    While I think it is really lame that ESO just can't do it themselves, Foundry Tactical (FTC) addon will do a lot of what you are asking. I do think it is really stupid that we need add-ons to figure out how much damage we are doing, though.

While the API does allow for some game information, it doesn't provide actual buff timers or debuff information to the add-ons. They are done almost fully by artificial guesstimates based on when the button was pressed and how long the skill duration normally lasts for, a woefully inadequate setup that even third-party authors can't change :(.

@rayeab16_ESO I have no idea what the avatar is, I just chose it because it looked kind of like a dragon, and the Dragon Knight was the first character I made way back when in July 2013's Cyrodiil beta test. =) I originally had the classic "DPS" modified UPS styled logo as my avatar here, but unfortunately ZOS eventually disabled custom avatars and limited it to a library of pre-set ones.

baFKVti.png
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on April 1, 2015 7:09AM

✭✭✭
    Agreed on everything. Especially buffs and debuffs. At the very least they should come back as they were in beta, which would be very easy since it was already there before they gutted the whole API.
    Vokundein
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    @Hafjoldr - Oathsworn of Vokundein
    Ignorance is a curse.
  • Smiteye
    Smiteye
    ✭✭✭
    It's just like other stuff like those third person camera settings that took forever to come that could have and should have been there at launch given how normal it is to have them and needed for a game. Instead it took them almost a year to push the patch with basic stuff live like that. :( It's sad to see them still ignoring the need for simple game enhancing UI settings all this time later and no comment being made by @ZOS on the topic even.

Lets try this :D!

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom, @ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_JasonLeavey, any info on forthcoming improvements here? Sorry to sound whiney, but this really is a big problem in the game.
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So I'm all for more UI information and yes it should be opt in/out.
    Look at it this way...What's one of the first things ZOS asks if you have game issues?
    Have you checked your addons.
    If this information was incorporated into the game, wouldn't it eliminate some of the other possible issues with addons, making the game more stable overall?

Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Priority Personally Preferred Options For Core UI:

- Combat Log (include source)
    - Damage Numbers
    - Resource Numbers
    - UI Frame/Object position
    - Buff and Debuff icons (with improved visual and/or audio cues)
    - Inventory Filters
    - Loot Drop (just full on integrate that add-on into the build)
    - Quick slot bar with hot key cycling

An ESO without the above options, which I currently use add-ons for, is simply not complete. I'm traditionally not an add-on user (though I mod the crap out of Z other TES games), but ESO lacks volumes of options other games have had to allow me to fine tune the UI to a minimalist UI. Minimalist ≠ Incomplete
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Xendyn wrote: »
    So I'm all for more UI information and yes it should be opt in/out.
    Look at it this way...What's one of the first things ZOS asks if you have game issues?
    Have you checked your addons.
    If this information was incorporated into the game, wouldn't it eliminate some of the other possible issues with addons, making the game more stable overall?

Yep, that's an excellent point too, and one I've mentioned in the past: addons are done on a volunteer basis, and it's not at all uncommon for them to have bugs, in many cases those bugs being caused by improper documentation for addon developers by ZOS. Having the basic and standard feature set currently delegated to addons as a part of the base toggleable game options would ensure a stable baseline for ESO in general and certainly lower the support work load to boot.
    Obscure wrote: »
    My Priority Personally Preferred Options For Core UI:

- Combat Log (include source)
    - Damage Numbers
    - Resource Numbers
    - UI Frame/Object position
    - Buff and Debuff icons (with improved visual and/or audio cues)
    - Inventory Filters
    - Loot Drop (just full on integrate that add-on into the build)
    - Quick slot bar with hot key cycling

An ESO without the above options, which I currently use add-ons for, is simply not complete. I'm traditionally not an add-on user (though I mod the crap out of Z other TES games), but ESO lacks volumes of options other games have had to allow me to fine tune the UI to a minimalist UI. Minimalist ≠ Incomplete

I've had the exact same experience. I barely ever used interface addons in over 15 years of playing mmo's, until ESO where the default user interface is so lacking in basic and industry standard options and functionality that it would be quite literally unplayable and unenjoyable without them as a result for what I'd wager is the vast majority of current players. The default UI isn't minimalistic even, as it was marketed to be. It's just barren, unintuitive, and has a very large amount of extraneous decorative elements that crowd the screen in presentation while not adding anything of use in information, function, or intuitiveness.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on April 1, 2015 9:35PM

✭✭✭✭✭
    Very much voting for combat log. Especially because ZOS does not reveal such information to addons. The death recap is bad. It has wasted too much effort to icons, shows only few last hits and you need to die to see it. If you die, someone is quickly ressing and i can't see the info later.

For other features we have decent addons. but we have NO way to see afterwards what exactly happened in combat,

You HAD a perfect API for addons in beta, but crippled it before launch. So logically the feature needs to be in the core game. Please make the log text based, no icons needed, should hold thousands of lines and let us copy the text to clipboard. If you are still so feared of it's abuse, make the log open only out-of combat. You already have the log stored. Otherwise you couldn't show death recap. Everything was already working in beta with CLS addon and we submitted loads of bugs with it. What we have now is just crippling us - and ZOS too. @ZOS_GinaBruno , you will get better bug reports if we can have the combat log back.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @helediron, absolutely. Addons used to also even be provided actual buff info. Even as a stop-gap measure, which while hardly ideal for a lot of reasons already covered to have to rely on them, addons should at least have the api opened back up for them while official in-game options/toggles are worked on. Way back when, the main thrust of the argument by roleplayers against the idea of having functionality available (and some were even hard-line stanced against us even having the ability to go out and download it!) was that even having optional toggles for these functions would somehow destroy the game and add so-called "UI clutter". As we've since seen, they then demanded and were given, toggles for chat bubbles as one example, demonstrating that the argument put forward there was just a red herring and as you logically would expect, didn't somehow "kill the game". :)

✭✭✭✭✭
    Eep! I'm not an attorney though, I swear ;)!

Better call Saul!
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a poll recently to get a hint at how many people use addons. The results strongly suggest that ESO needs a UI upgrade, imho.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/157506/is-eso-console-ready-without-addons/p1