The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Do people talk to people in TESO?

• nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said hello and chatted ingame yesterday, and i was called a pedobear and that my eggs were going dry so i wouldnt ever get to have children. True story.

This. While I sympathize with those who want to have a real conversation and/or roleplay, I have to wonder if you ever pay attention to the real conversations happening in /yell, /zone, and /say. Most of it is full of bigotry and trolling. I can't even understand the complaints about WTB/WTS spam in chat. I would much prefer that to what I read otherwise.

If you really want to have roleplay and/or conversation, you're going to need some way of finding eachother. Chat bubbles will never be enough. You either need to find a guild of like-minded people or beg ZOS to implement the survey they talked about that could place you in phases with roleplayers.

Lastly, I really caution against the assumption that people that don't respond to /say or really anything but a whisper are being rude. If toggleable bubbles were implemented, I would be one who would turn them off. It'd take more than a passing 'hi' in /say to get my attention in that case.
  • Rhylanna
    Rhylanna
    ✭✭
    No chat bubbles please, saw a pretty disgusting conversation in zone yesterday, just imagine that in chat bubbles. People have no shame, they think any attention is good. Really I don't care where you put your body parts just keep it to yourself. There are always people who abuse everything and spoil it for the rest. If I see chat bubbles I think comic book. Just my opinion.

Why couldn't you just turn them off? Just curious because I've seen a lot of responses like this.
    Fatewalkers NA server, primarily Daggerfall Covenant, 30+ (mature, working folks with kids, dogs, etc!), casual, PVE oriented, small but growing!
    Antique Ordinatus Populus NA server, technically with Aldmeri Dominion but have members in all alliances, 40+ (even ++++!), mature, casual (fun people who sometimes forget what they're doing...or maybe that's just me :p ) antique-ordinatus-populus.enjin.com
  • qwertyburnsb16_ESO
    qwertyburnsb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Use to chat quite a bit in zone which I thought kind of covered /say as anyone next to me would see zone chat as well. The gold sellers though have spoilt that option lately, mainly due the fact I am duty bound to report and ignore which happens so frequently.

Pity there isn't a local push to talk voice option?
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rhylanna‌ /say is only proximity based as opposed to /zone which accounts for everyone in the same phase in a given zone. /say will only generate responses if you're around a lot of other people and if those people haven't turned it off. I tend to think /zone is better for asking game related questions since you reach a wider audience. I do typically answer questions in /zone...well until the trolling makes my eyes bleed and I switch to a tab without /zone.
    Edited by nudel on April 18, 2014 10:38AM
  • Rhylanna
    Rhylanna
    ✭✭
    GaBacon wrote: »
    well sometimes i have all chat turned off except a couple of guild chats.

I hear ya. The chat tab I usually use has almost everything except zone chat, so I see guild, say, tell, and group. Sometimes I'll flip back to the one with zone if it's unusually quiet, but I generally don't stay long...

Fatewalkers NA server, primarily Daggerfall Covenant, 30+ (mature, working folks with kids, dogs, etc!), casual, PVE oriented, small but growing!
    Antique Ordinatus Populus NA server, technically with Aldmeri Dominion but have members in all alliances, 40+ (even ++++!), mature, casual (fun people who sometimes forget what they're doing...or maybe that's just me :p ) antique-ordinatus-populus.enjin.com
  • Rhylanna
    Rhylanna
    ✭✭
    nudel wrote: »
    @Rhylanna‌ /say is only proximity based as opposed to /zone which accounts for everyone in the same phase in a given zone. /say will only generate responses if you're around a lot of other people and if those people haven't turned it off. I tend to think /zone is better for asking game related questions since you reach a wider audience. I do typically answer questions in /zone...well until the trolling makes my eyes bleed and I switch to a tab without /zone.

Another game I play has an advice channel but, as you would probably expect, it rarely gets used. I agree though that zone is better for asking advice, certainly more general advice, I just wish there weren't so many trolls to ignore and spammers to report. Ah well, sigh, that's the reality of it all. At least we have the forums! :)
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh, i really must have chatbubbies. Yesterday i was in a dungeon and someone asked me with /say where the boss was. I didn't even notice it until i got my shard and killed a boss and left the dungeon. I whispered afterwards, being the good guy i am.

Had i a chatbubble i could react right away.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @qwertyburnsb16_ESO‌ As nice as push to talk VOIP sounds in theory, it would be absolutely atrocious in practice. Trust me as someone coming from a lot of FPS games, the crappy chat you're seeing now in /zone would transfer completely to VOIP. It's less problematic in small server populations in FPS games as you can simply mute a few offenders. Multiply the number of mutes needed on your average server of 30 players to a megaserver even with phasing. Hundreds of voices all shouting '***' at the top of their lungs.

Think of how often you have to report/ ignore gold sellers. You'd have to mute normal players at about the same rate.
  • qwertyburnsb16_ESO
    qwertyburnsb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    nudel wrote: »
    @qwertyburnsb16_ESO‌ As nice as push to talk VOIP sounds in theory, it would be absolutely atrocious in practice. Trust me as someone coming from a lot of FPS games, the crappy chat you're seeing now in /zone would transfer completely to VOIP. It's less problematic in small server populations in FPS games as you can simply mute a few offenders. Multiply the number of mutes needed on your average server of 30 players to a megaserver even with phasing. Hundreds of voices all shouting '***' at the top of their lungs.

Think of how often you have to report/ ignore gold sellers. You'd have to mute normal players at about the same rate.

On reflection, you're correct. Especially where local areas are crowded out.

I'll stick to TS3 and Vent surfing which how most people really communicate in mmo's. It's a pity game studios can not incorporate these voice comm software into their games for easy invites to chosen players in groups.
  • Pretext
    Pretext
    ✭✭
    Nope we don't talk to anyone, not a shriven soul, especially not you. :D
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhylanna wrote: »
    No chat bubbles please, saw a pretty disgusting conversation in zone yesterday, just imagine that in chat bubbles. People have no shame, they think any attention is good. Really I don't care where you put your body parts just keep it to yourself. There are always people who abuse everything and spoil it for the rest. If I see chat bubbles I think comic book. Just my opinion.

Why couldn't you just turn them off? Just curious because I've seen a lot of responses like this.

One reason being, the next step would be a requirement in a dungeon group or large scale pvp by a leader or guild so you can see what they are saying. That's what will happen, then it wouldn't be a choice for me to have them off.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rhylanna wrote: »

One reason being, the next step would be a requirement in a dungeon group or large scale pvp by a leader or guild so you can see what they are saying. That's what will happen, then it wouldn't be a choice for me to have them off.

You make it sound like its a problem to actually communicate with your party ingame..
  • thjudgeman1142ub17_ESO
    Chat in this game seems to be an after thought... I have little use for it outside of passing on some info when I see people stuck in quests... even then I have to whisper to them.
  • moXrox
    moXrox
    ✭✭✭
    This game feels like playing a single player game on the EU - Servers.

There is almost no communication, only quick grouping for dungeons and a after that a short bye bye and thats it. Everyone is on the run to level up quick......

When you write a /say in the chat most people dont even read the chat and run away.

THIS IS TERRIBLE................................for what playing an mmo, the people are the main reason you want to play such a game.

I have chat bubbles activated ingame with an addon and for what ? useless if nobody talks around you.

Edited by moXrox on April 18, 2014 2:03PM
    Music Channel:
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCQHvIypA0v70w4uu_ej8wyg/featured
    Tolkien Fantasy Music, Medieval, Pagan & Nordic Music Style
  • StuppyJoe
    StuppyJoe
    Not sure how you think chat bubbles would help. Mostly, I turn them off because they obscure the npc chat.
  • StuppyJoe
    StuppyJoe
    Rarely. The social aspect of eso is dead. I say this even as a solo player. I just cancelled my account because the social aspect is so bad.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ya I'm constantly on my guild TeamSpeak, so I talk to people a lot.

Also use guild chat.

Zone is turned off in my main chat tab and /say is often ignored.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    Many players turn off zone chat immediately, based on not wanting to see the garbage that is often spewed there. Many people also routinely ignore /say as well. In the current world of mass market MMOs, many people are very uninterested in talking with strangers on the internet. They play for the persistent world, and to group with family or RL friends, not to interact with strangers. And yes at the beginning the majority of the players want to level as fast as possible given limited playtime, so they run as much as possible to be as efficient as possible in terms of XP/hour.
  • demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some people don't like to approach others because of past experiences. Someone on here once said they got anti social from dealing with the wow community. I guess it doesn't help too that half the people on zone chat are ill mannered animals.
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    Elvent wrote: »
    MaxBat wrote: »
    I don't mean shout to the zone. You know: "I've got gold to sell .... MUWAHAHAHAHA!!!" 500 times 500. I mean, talk to the player next to you.

I like to RP and I see all these people running through the world. Running, not walking. Like the can't get to the next spot fast enough. Still, I've tried to talk to people but they don't respond - or they just run away. By talking, I mean speaking to them, not shouting to the zone. But either they don't get it or they just are interested in talking.

Does anyone else talk to people?

No chat bubbles, nothing to grab your attention, most people are looking at their character and their screen and surroundings, not the chat box besides there's so much spam and talk in there it's hard to keep up with it.

This has happened to me before...somebody asking me for help even calling my name and they were beside me jumping up and down trying to get my attention but I figured it was just somebody acting silly so I went on my way.

I didn't realize anything until a few minutes later when there was no chat and all of a sudden I got a whisper telling me that "I'm rude" and I asked why and he told me to scroll up and sure enough there he was asking me, would have been easier to just see the bubble above his head to grab my attention....

There is nothing at all wrong with chat bubbles if it's able to be toggled off/on.

I don't want to see bubble chat (or maybe make it an option). It would really break the immersion.

That said, it's also unrealistic to not be able to notice if someone is talking to you right on front of you without looking at the chat..

I'm sure there are many ways to help to see someone speaking: sounds or little signs. They just need to find the right balance between unobstrusive and noticeable.
  • grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    demendred wrote: »
    Some people don't like to approach others because of past experiences. Someone on here once said they got anti social from dealing with the wow community. I guess it doesn't help too that half the people on zone chat are ill mannered animals.

And it's not only about chat..those ones who stand on top of you near the chest in hope that you'll break a lockpick..

Or all the ones who just let you die against a pack of mob to get the quest item you were fighting for.

Also Res shards are never used.

And if you're a healer like me, everyday you save guys who just let you deal with the result of their mistakes and don't even say a word..

• demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    grizzbi wrote: »
    demendred wrote: »

And it's not only about chat..those ones who stand on top of you near the chest in hope that you'll break a lockpick..

Or all the ones who just let you die against a pack of mob to get the quest item you were fighting for.

Also Res shards are never used.

And if you're a healer like me, everyday you save guys who just let you deal with the result of their mistakes and don't even say a word..

Had you partied with me, I would have kept your butt from taking any damage, hell, I would die so healers don't lol. Plus, if you did die, better believe your getting a rez from me. Healer dies, everyone dies. People are too dim to figure that out. Its a shame you can't place a symbol above ones head. Makes staying by healer when the battle heats up better. For now, look at target health bars and stay close by.
    Edited by demendred on April 23, 2014 5:27PM
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    The chatbox isnt very inuitive or "user friendly" but they know about it, I'm sure they will work on it once the botter situation is under control.
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »
    Two points... first, every single MMO has had chat bubbles.
    This is quite simply not true. I feel that your arguments would carry more weight if you avoided blanket statements like this that, you must be aware, one or more of your readers will be able to disprove through their own experience.

@Sue_D_Nim Of course it is not true, but that is not the point. My point is that just because a bucket full of other MMOs do it does not mean that it is a fresh and current idea.

P.S. I see where you got confused. I missed the word "that" when I restated the quoted text.

I see your meaning now. Thanks.
    ... Second, if you ever thought that gold sellers and trolls in Zone could get obnoxious, just wait until you start seeing these insightful missives floating above every other head in the cities and dungeons.

To my great sorrow, I'm already seeing this happening in in-game marketplace areas. Not floating above their heads, no, but in /say. /Say was my last hope for tuning out the trade spammers while retaining the ability to talk to people near me.

That's when I think, "Thank God we don't have chat bubbles." Then when I'm out in the field, seeing a bunch of people running around ignoring each other in their grinding and zerging zeal, when I start to feel lonely and wonder why I'm playing an MMO instead of a single player game, when /say is quiet as a tomb and nobody will respond to me, that's when I think, "I wish we had optional chat bubbles."

The key word is optional. A lot of people are just screaming "no chat bubbles!" without seeming to realize that it won't harm a hair on their head to have such a feature as long as it's optional.

Yes, I agree that chat bubbles are cartoony. Somebody (possibly in one of the other hundred threads discussing them) pointed out that there are alternatives, some of which might be a lot less objectionable.
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    MaxBat wrote: »
    I don't mean shout to the zone. You know: "I've got gold to sell .... MUWAHAHAHAHA!!!" 500 times 500. I mean, talk to the player next to you.

I like to RP and I see all these people running through the world. Running, not walking. Like the can't get to the next spot fast enough. Still, I've tried to talk to people but they don't respond - or they just run away. By talking, I mean speaking to them, not shouting to the zone. But either they don't get it or they just are interested in talking.

Does anyone else talk to people?

I do. Doesn't mean they talk back. Usually, they run away too fast. It's as though something awful will happen if they stand in one spot for more than a few seconds. Kind of like those disgusting aversion training experiments with the bunny in the cage with the electrified floor, where they zap him if he stands still long enough to eat; he soon starves to death because he's afraid to stop jumping around.

The only ones who ever stand still have their head in their bag or map, and I clearly can't talk to them.

I ran up to help with an anchor just now. After we finished, one of them stood still just long enough to do a /cheer emote. I thought that was a great opportunity to make some remark about having missed all the fun. By the time I typed it out (and I'm a fast typist), all that was left of the other players were tiny figures disappearing over the hills.

@ArielleJureaux , I know you're in my faction. All we need is to get to the same place at the same time.

@SpasticSpringbok , @MaxBat, @LoneWalker , anybody else who needs somebody to remind them that they're not alone: feel free to send me a friend request (with attached note, please, so that I don't automatically decline it as friend spam) and we'll show those mutes how you play an MMO. ;)
    The thing you need to understand is that not everyone likes to role play.
    I didn't think the OP's question was really about roleplaying. You can talk to people without roleplaying. I've been in a couple of PuGs where we will all exchange a few words after killing the boss, before going our separate ways. It may be fleeting, but it's the difference between an MMO and a single-player game. None of us were RPing.
    Try walking across Auridon and see how much time that would take you.
    I have, quite a few times. What difference does the time make? I'm not in a hurry. Of course, that won't apply if I only have a half-hour of game time. I use fast travel when I need to, and I walk when I want to. I get infinitely more enjoyment out of the game world when I'm not rushing around.
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • mcatchlovb16_ESO
    mcatchlovb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even look at chat much. It's all WTS spam