The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Do people talk to people in TESO?

• FlameStar
    FlameStar
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly just haven't worked out how to chat to anyone yet :P
  • TraviZ
    TraviZ
    I try to talk to nearby people with /say but I never get a response until I /whisper them in which case they respond "Oh, sorry, didn't see the /say chat!" IT IS ANNOYING. Please, Can I have a chat bubble feature?
  • jmido8
    jmido8
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, no. This game has really killed the social aspect of the game by making it more immersive. Zenith don't really want you socializing with other players either, addons for nameplates and chat bubbles are apparently not doable with our current tools.

I'v tried chatting with surrounding players but no one ever responds. If I sit their using /yell several times, someone may finally notice and answer back.
    Edited by jmido8 on April 5, 2014 11:05AM
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TraviZ wrote: »
    I try to talk to nearby people with /say but I never get a response until I /whisper them in which case they respond "Oh, sorry, didn't see the /say chat!" IT IS ANNOYING. Please, Can I have a chat bubble feature?

Chat bubbles can be disabled too, just like the chat box now. So you would still not get an answer of people who don't like to talk in that "world of warcraft" slang. ;)

The issue right now is only that "say" doesn't work 100% of the time. It should be very visible if someone is close to you, barely visible if you are a few feet apart of each other.

But as I said, people who have the chat disabled now will also have chat bubbles disabled, so you still wont be able to make conversation with those even if they add bubbles.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never know if someone is trying to talk to me because I filter every option for the chat. I go to extra measures to use an AO to remove almost every element and enemy tell from the HUD.

I RP all of my characters and I would absolutely adore the opportunity for them to talk to others. This is why a sophisticated in-game VOIP needs to be implemented. Not a general zone voice chat but a VOIP with proximity activation and directional volume control.

I would be glad to speak in passing. Just as if you were talking to any other NPC within the game world. That is exactly as I see every rendered character on the screen... just another NPC.
    You RP. You want to talk to strangers. But you turned off the only available way of meeting new people... This is highly counterproductive. ESO may never get voice chat, will you wait for it forever in a very silent world or adjust to the system you have?
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    With /say it's hard to tell who's speaking to whom. I think the people who asked for the chat bubbles option had a point; I'll give them a try if they're ever implemented.
  • Morana
    Morana
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that the world is far too silent, and it's hard to communicate because you just don't have any clue that someone around you is saying something. I'm used to ignoring the noise in my chat box, so I absolutely would not see if someone was talking to me in /say.

A chat bubble/floating text pops up in front of me... oh hey! Nice to meet you! Where did you get that stunning helmet?

Optional chat bubbles that are off by default. Everyone is happy and gets their level of immersion.

PS. VOIP, for me, is highly immersion breaking.
  • Pretext
    Pretext
    ✭✭
    I think this is the most important area for Zenimax to work on. How can you call it a multiplayer game when players find it hard to talk to each other or even phase together?
  • Willow
    Willow
    ✭✭✭
    FlameStar wrote: »
    I honestly just haven't worked out how to chat to anyone yet :P

hit enter and type /say

type your message and hit enter.

the above will place your text in the say chat for people to see that are close to you.

if you want to go back to zone chat type /zone

• Willow
    Willow
    ✭✭✭
    Pretext wrote: »
    I think this is the most important area for Zenimax to work on. How can you call it a multiplayer game when players find it hard to talk to each other or even phase together?

I love the way chat is set up now. I do not want to see a bunch of text. If they do anything to it I hope it all has options added so we that like the chat as it is now can keep it that way.

• SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morana wrote: »
    Optional chat bubbles that are off by default. Everyone is happy and gets their level of immersion.

PS. VOIP, for me, is highly immersion breaking.
    I'm afraid that I might be polar opposite on this topic, my dear. I share your discontent for that horrid chat window. Having to stop and type out what you want your character to say is by far less immersive for me that simply saying what my character is trying to convey.

Chat bubbles don't offer any means of an acceptable medium for me as I'm still having to stop... and type.

Sometimes, a funny encounter will take place and my character want's throw out a one liner for comic relief. By the time I remove myself from being immersed in the game world and my character to type out my comment, the timing window has expired and the punchline is for not.

I understand that some are more comfortable with certain ways than others. I'm glad that there are guilds, forums and places to go to find those of common interests.

Edited by SeñorCinco on April 5, 2014 2:54PM
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking, I use walking as an indicator someone is open to chatting in-character in the world. If I see someone walking instead of running, I will keep an eye on /say or emotes incase they want to interact.
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes, a funny encounter will take place and my character want's throw out a one liner for comic relief. By the time I remove myself from being immersed in the game world and my character to type out my comment, the timing window has expired and the punchline is for not.

I understand that some are more comfortable with certain ways than others. I'm glad that there are guilds, forums and places to go to find those of common interests.

This is what I notice as I get further and further into gameplay. Even using chatspeak, it takes a minute to toggle from /say to /zone or back and forth - and then type what I say. But this has also been a problem in other MMOs I've played. Pause too long to chat, in this game, and you could die by an Alit.

Still - as the OP - I'm starting to have more and more conversations. I do think some people struggle with the chat window and how it works, myself included. While the in-game help system is useful for some very basic orientation, I find myself having to figure out some of the more critical game mechanics myself.

When I originally posted the OP message, people were rushing through the game. Every person I saw running, running, without a second to talk. In the last 24 hours, I've noticed more and more conversations taking place between avs, probably as people relax and the "new game" feeling starts to wear off.

Also, as someone else suggested, emotes really do help get someone's attention. Pointing is good, waving is probably more polite. :smile: Last night I was in a bank and I pointed at someone and asked about their armor. They were like, "How did you do that?" I introduced them to emotes and when I left they were dancing in the lobby.

Edited by MaxBat on April 5, 2014 4:40PM
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    MaxBat wrote: »
    When I originally posted the OP message, people were rushing through the game. Every person I saw running, running, without a second to talk. In the last 24 hours, I've noticed more and more conversations taking place between avs, probably as people relax and the "new game" feeling starts to wear off.

Also, as someone else suggested, emotes really do help get someone's attention. Pointing is good, waving is probably more polite. :smile: Last night I was in a bank and I pointed at someone and asked about their armor. They were like, "How did you do that?" I introduced them to emotes and when I left they were dancing in the lobby.

Walking is indeed a good sign. I wal 99% of the time, while in town and more than half of the time I'm just in the game world.

I have a small set of emotes programed to a hot key on my controller. I have my core six characters in play and a different set of emotes per the given character's personality profile.

Four of the six are favor the dark side of morality. There emotes consist of pointing, laughing, rude gesture and the ole "you're dead" animation of raking the thumb across the thorax.

It's not that I am unsociable as a person but my character may not give a skeever's ass about anyone... but themselves. Every one of my characters are their own entity. I'm just a third party along for the ride. Kind of like a spiritual advisor. I do not live vicariously through them nor do I place myself in their shoes.

... just in their head from time to time.
    Edited by SeñorCinco on April 5, 2014 4:51PM
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No nameplates option or guild nameplates mean a poor community. Everyone looks like an NPC and you don't learn people's names. It damages the community aspect hugely but even though they'd be optional, the small vocal group of lpeople who only played skyrim cry foul at the concept of letting people choose in a game about choices. With everyone being a nameless zombie you feel solo even when there are tons around you.
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭
    the small vocal group of lpeople who only played skyrim cry foul at the concept of letting people choose in a game about choices. With everyone being a nameless zombie you feel solo even when there are tons around you.
    I don't see the TES fanbase as being small, by any means. I play the game as if every character rendered as just another NPC, no matter if it's an AI or living being in control.

The characters are not nameless. I don't need everyone walking around with a sign like they are looking for someone at the airport. Every rendered character, NPC or not, has their name clearly displayed when you look at them.

The game is open to a vast array of play styles. I see no reason why anyone would object to something that is optional and has no adverse effect on them or their gameplay. If one wishes to fill their screen with numbers, auras, tags and tells then I am glad they have the option to do so. Even more so when I have the option to turn them all off.
    Edited by SeñorCinco on April 5, 2014 5:41PM
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should make an audible /greetings voice command. Random variations like in character creation. "Well, hello there", "Greetings my friend", "Do I know you?", ect. Some kind of audible cue where you know another player is trying to talk to you.
  • infoub17_ESO22
    It would be great if you even could talk to people in ESO. I can't whisper, zone or say in chat. *** joke of a game. Support sucks ***.
  • Raapnaap
    Raapnaap
    ✭✭
    It's extremely easy to miss a conversation since the chat system in this game is annoying to use, hidden while playing, and most of all, there are no chat bubbles.

This has nothing to do with roleplaying, making it easier to have a (random) conversation with fellow players is a pretty big part of playing an online game, especially an MMORPG.

My wishes for the chat system are 'simple':
    - Chat bubbles for all chat types, and all optional (enabled by default to help newer players). Chat bubble text is color coded like in the chat window.
    - More chat customization options. Unless I missed it, I'd very much like time stamps so I can see how long ago messages were sent (to help me figure out when I missed something), as well as more visual customization to the chat GUI, for example I'd like chat to never vanish when in combat mode.
    Edited by Raapnaap on April 8, 2014 4:11AM
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    without chat bubbles it can be hard.

This. If i read the chat i don't know who is saying what. If you stand close to me and use /say it is gone within seconds.

Chatbubbles (optional for those who don't want) is a real must here. That way i can look at the playscreen (which i usually do so i miss a lot of chat) and see who is saying what.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    without chat bubbles it can be hard.
    In the 12 years I've been playing MMOs I've never, ever enabled bubbles and have spent days and weeks of my life happily chatting away.

Right now though in ESO, Zone chat is useless, full of RMT spam and crafters trying to hawk their goods in the absence of an AH.

Worse, Zone is full of French and German instead of chats in those languages being isolated to the Zone channels defined for them, that simply adds to the screeds of text scrolling by I don't have any interest in.
  • Sallakat
    Sallakat
    ✭✭✭
    I miss the chat all the time! Even when guildies are talking in the /g1 I miss that most of the time. Also I never seem to be able to see who logs into the guild or who joins the guild which is pretty damn bad. The fadeout in the chat surely is bad too. And trying to hover over a character to figure out what their name is.. well that doesn't work at all tbh.
    Rebuilt - Aldmeri Dominion

Kaia Linnea - templar
    Ruusu - sorcerer
    Aino - nightblade
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I definitely agree with you guys about optional chat bubbles! in fact, the lack of this option is the one thing that is keeping me from enjoying this game as much as I know I could. The world feels so lonely, isolated. There is literally no legitimate argument against optional chat bubbles.

A lot of people would use them, a lot of people wouldn't - the point is that the option would be there. For RPing, for dungeon parties - hell, just to know what is going on around you, or at least feel like you're actually playing an MMO, not a single player game with a convenient chat room on the side of your screen.

I understand that the Elder Scrolls series is known for being a single player game, and that's what we love most about it, but why bother making it an MMO if we can't get the feel of playing a multiplayer game? Toggle on/off chat bubble options for each chat would be perfect - players could just customize the settings however they want.

Also, chat bubbles don't have to look "cartoonish" - it all depends on how well they are designed.
    EuLtLbB.jpg
  • demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think most people have their chat logs closed. I try to reply to questions in say. Reply to someone who is asking me something, ect. Have not run into any RPers yet.
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    I made a new chat tab just for local chat (/say and /yell). I keep it up all the time. I wish it wouldn't fade away, but it does show up every time somebody speaks near me.

I don't, therefore, find it difficult to follow conversations. I just wish more people would talk to each other. I've had several people run up to me and stop for a moment. I think "oh, he wants to talk or RP. I'll do an emote to show that I'm receptive to either one," but by the time I've typed out /wave he's already run away again. I hate feeling lonely in an MMO.
    Edited by Sue_D_Nim on April 15, 2014 5:43PM
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it would be cooler if the words came out in text from the mouths of the character rather than a chat room.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course we talk to people in the game.

Why just this morning I politely thanked someone for fighting a mob that was in the way of a treasure chest I wanted.

I think he was a bit confused though, he confused Nightblade with Ninja.

I'm only joking folks, I didn't ninja a chest someone was fighting for .... it's a sad day when you have to add this at the end of a post due to the amount of serious people that couldn't tell sarcasm if it slapped them in the face with a floppy kipper.
  • yvanbroeckpreeb18_ESO
    It really is sad but for being an MMORPG, which means it should mainly consist of some form of social interaction between eachother, noone is talking and noone cares except for us roleplayers it seems.
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    I try to, often.. But the lack of chat bubbles makes it so 95% of people miss the stuff I'm trying to say to them.

Roleplaying is very limited due to the absence of chat bubbles.
    KanedaSyndrome's Suggestions For Game Improvements
    The Fortuitous Collapse of the Wave Equation
    The Best Plans Require No Action
  • demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course we talk to people in the game.

Why just this morning I politely thanked someone for fighting a mob that was in the way of a treasure chest I wanted.

I think he was a bit confused though, he confused Nightblade with Ninja.

I'm only joking folks, I didn't ninja a chest someone was fighting for .... it's a sad day when you have to add this at the end of a post due to the amount of serious people that couldn't tell sarcasm if it slapped them in the face with a floppy kipper.

You're mean! Just as mean as I was when I walked by a player fighting a mob near a rune node, only to pluck it up, type /lol, and /say hahaha, look what I stole from you (mark item in chat)

I kid of course. And I agree with you, people can be really sensitive at times.
    Ah well, thats people for ya!
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.