The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do people talk to people in TESO?

• demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is an add-on right now for chat bubbles. I know its not what some would like, but a start
    http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info136-SimpleChatBubbles.html
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I never chat not even on the forums.... B) I think most of the time I am immersed in the story and the scenery. But honestly I don't want to hold someone's hand because they are lonely. I get enough interaction with real life people. But if I want to chat in game I will.
  • Dysturbed
    Dysturbed
    ✭✭✭
    between gold spammers and the barrens chat i only keep group or guild chat going normally
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Audigy wrote: »
    TraviZ wrote: »
    I try to talk to nearby people with /say but I never get a response until I /whisper them in which case they respond "Oh, sorry, didn't see the /say chat!" IT IS ANNOYING. Please, Can I have a chat bubble feature?

Chat bubbles can be disabled too, just like the chat box now. So you would still not get an answer of people who don't like to talk in that "world of warcraft" slang. ;)

The issue right now is only that "say" doesn't work 100% of the time. It should be very visible if someone is close to you, barely visible if you are a few feet apart of each other.

But as I said, people who have the chat disabled now will also have chat bubbles disabled, so you still wont be able to make conversation with those even if they add bubbles.

I think if there were chat bubbles everybody would turn them on because they're so useful and everybody is used to them in every single MMO that has had them and the 5 or so people that say chat bubbles ruin their immersion will leave them off.

Chat bubbles are a much popular, needed and wanted feature and it makes the world look more alive seeing people talk, at the moment everybody just looks like random NPCs running around and you see people talking in /say but no idea where they are...

I've seen this many times people talking in /say and tried scrolling over each person to see who it was but couldn't even find him!

It's an obvious needed feature and should be optional. You can say it's not needed but you would be wrong unless you don't care about the future success of the game then you're right, it's not needed.
  • LoneWalker
    LoneWalker
    ✭✭
    So much stuff to see and pay attention in this game I sometimes miss the "Say" chat! I confess... well if I notice a friendly conversation start I'll sure respond!
    Edited by LoneWalker on April 15, 2014 7:04PM
  • Adlerson
    Adlerson
    Ironically enough by far the most talking and RP I've gotten have been when a group of random people have been farming bosses. It forces people to hang out together and if you get with a group of nice people it can actually be a lot of fun.
    Of course, that'll disappear when that farm avenue gets closed...
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    No I never chat not even on the forums.... B) I think most of the time I am immersed in the story and the scenery. But honestly I don't want to hold someone's hand because they are lonely. I get enough interaction with real life people. But if I want to chat in game I will.
    One wonders why, then, you pay $15 a month to play with other people.
    No flaming here, nor baiting. Just an honest inquiry.
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll talk in dungeons occasionally but am going to rp when at full level. Speech bubbles are a must.
    Edited by greylox on April 16, 2014 7:30AM
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• Fina
    Fina
    ✭✭✭
    Not enough. I'm in 2 guilds with 500 people and they barely talk. Out of those 1000 people, I think 10 people talk in guild chat.

The other guilds I'm in, which have fewer people, also don't have much going on in the guild chat. Mostly just "WTS!!, WTB!!, LFG!!, Hello everyone, and Good Night."

I'm actually having trouble finding a friendly social guild in which I can actually have a conversation with other people about the game and form groups together.

Also, I wish a least *some* quests were difficult enough that it be necessary to have a partner to complete it.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish people didn't talk, judging by the content of chat at times, but yeah people talk ALL the time, even with tells. This same thread comes up every time in every MMO. Maybe OP wants a chat room?
    Edited by mutharex on April 16, 2014 8:01AM
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »
    One wonders why, then, you pay $15 a month to play with other people.
    No flaming here, nor baiting. Just an honest inquiry.

I'm also one of those solo gamers. I even solo roam in PvP ... it's very rare I join a group and only then if the moons are aligned correctly and a shooting star flies over a rainbow.

I play MMO's for the persistent world. I can put far more hours into them than in single player games.

I like having other players around I just don't want to group up. I don't need to group up. There is more than enough to keep me going on my own.

I've done the "hardcore" PvE thing in games like UO and Everquest and I got burnt out. Did the "hardcore" PvP thing in DAoC and WAR and got burnt out.

I just prefer to toddle along at my own pace in peace and relax.
  • YourNameHere
    YourNameHere
    ✭✭✭
    MaxBat wrote: »
    I don't mean shout to the zone. You know: "I've got gold to sell .... MUWAHAHAHAHA!!!" 500 times 500. I mean, talk to the player next to you.

I like to RP and I see all these people running through the world. Running, not walking. Like the can't get to the next spot fast enough. Still, I've tried to talk to people but they don't respond - or they just run away. By talking, I mean speaking to them, not shouting to the zone. But either they don't get it or they just are interested in talking.

Does anyone else talk to people?

It's all about the person really. I started playing MMOs when such things as TS and Skype weren't around. Now, a fair amount forgoe in game chat all together and use a chat program.

Personally, I moved my zone and yell to another tab, keeping say and guild in my first one.

I can't talk for other people, but I assume they just want to quest and level and not talk (silly this being a social game) and RP is out there, but on a megaserver it could be happening on a shard/instance you aren't in which makes it frustrating.

Why I found likeminded people in my guild for conversation, RP, and fun.
    NA Megaserver / RPer
    Alinyssa Gaethar - AD || Raahni-do - AD || Wind-In-Tree's-Shadow - DC
  • Morthur
    Morthur
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Morthur on April 28, 2014 12:23PM
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morthur wrote: »
    Guess that's what you get for using single player TES fans as beta testers instead of MMO veterans that would recognize these sort of design flaws after about 15 minutes of game play).

I was one of those beta testers. Im a TES player and an MMO player. And I gave PLENTY of feedback on this, started up whole entire threads multiple times, Got alot of people to give feedback on things like this.

The feedback was given. They just didnt listen to it. Only response that was given was a launch run down of the game where they specificaly said

"No plans for Chat Bubbles"

After all of that.
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Morthur!

What a shame...Guild Wars 2 had the right idea by listening to their players instead of blatantly ignoring them, and added optional chat bubbles soon after launch because a lot of people pleaded for them. Regardless of whatever specific 'vision' ArenaNet had for GW2's UI, art, layout, etc., they still listened to their players, and gave them the option.

There have been countless threads pleading for optional chat bubbles on ESO's reddit page, official forum, petition pages, miscellaneous websites, since July 2013. And still, "no plans for chat bubbles". Not even a "we understand that there is a strong demand for optional chat bubbles, and even though it's not high on our priority list at the moment, we hope to implement this feature in a month/two months/three months" notice to at least acknowledge us. All the /feedbacks, forum threads, and petitions simply go ignored, because optional chat bubbles don't fit the vision of a 'single-player-but-is-actually-supposed-to-be-a-multiplayer-I-think' Elder Scrolls game.
  • scruffycavetroll
    scruffycavetroll
    ✭✭✭
    without chat bubbles it can be hard.

Buuut muuhhh immmerrrshionnss?!?!

• MysticAura
    MysticAura
    ✭✭✭
    I talk to people when I group, on zone, or in guild chat. I don't tend to talk to people that just run up to me and say hi because..well think about it. If you were at the mall and a perfect stranger ran up to you and said hi, I'm pretty sure you'd feel uncomfortable at the least. You don't know them, or what they want.

I like that other people are running around doing things, it adds more life to the game. Some people are very nice and good to get to know, over time.

Please no chat bubbles, this isn't a comic book, it would totally destroy the feel of the game for me. I guess having the option for those who really want it couldn't hurt though.

As for running instead of walking. When I want to look at things I run to a place I think is pretty or interesting, and stop to look around or explore. When I'm done I run to the next interesting looking place. I wish I had this much stamina rl, I'd do the same and save so much time in a day.
    Edited by MysticAura on April 17, 2014 2:49PM
  • xshadowclawzz12
    The thing you need to understand is that not everyone likes to role play. Actually most people don't. "Running, not walking. Like the can't get to the next spot fast enough" ofcourse people will run and not walk ! Do you know how much time it would take if you were to always walk? Do you always walk? If you do I don't even know what to say. Try walking across Auridon and see how much time that would take you. It's only natural that people run.

That people don't talk to you is a bit rude, but not everyone wants to chat and there for running off is just the easiest thing to do.

I barely see people using the zone chat for other things than WTS/WTB, "gold-sellers" spamming the chat down and occationally people requriting for their guild or group because they want to do a dark anchor or kill a world boss. But rarely an discussion. Discussion happens in your guild chat or group chat. Why woul people use /say when you can just do /group?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvent wrote: »
    I think if there were chat bubbles everybody would turn them on because they're so useful and everybody is used to them in every single MMO that has had them and the 5 or so people that say chat bubbles ruin their immersion will leave them off.

Two points... first, every single MMO that has had chat bubbles. Maybe it is time for something different and maybe ESO will come up with that new way of doing it that does not involve chat bubbles like every other MMO.

Second, if you ever thought that gold sellers and trolls in Zone could get obnoxious, just wait until you start seeing these insightful missives floating above every other head in the cities and dungeons.

My guess is that many fewer than "everyone" would turn them on. I'm not an immersion freak, ESO's user interface is way to scaled back for my tastes. I would very much like something better for chat than the chat box. I am exactly the person you think would turn them on and leave them on. I would turn the stupid bubbles off and forget the feature existed.
    - a way to stop chat fading, its so annoying, still happens even though I have locked it

Locked only locks the window, not the content.

Considering that there is no way to timestamp the chat so you can tell when something new comes in, fading is pretty much required for old content in the window. The text lighting up when something new comes in after a long period of quiet is the only way I will even have a chance to notice it.
    Edited by Elsonso on April 17, 2014 5:26PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • scruffycavetroll
    scruffycavetroll
    ✭✭✭
    i'd like chat bubbles. a toggle option hurts no one, and will still leave your ui clear if off.

it really helps knowing who's speaking to you in your direct vicinity, keeps your eyes up on the action instead of looking down at the chat window.
  • StuppyJoe
    StuppyJoe
    I try. Sometimes, rarely it works and for the most part those that interact with me are experienced mmo players. The guild system is not conducive to socialization in this game, ditto trade as trading opportunities are so limited.

Game killer for me. Another week or so and I'm out.
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said hello and chatted ingame yesterday, and i was called a pedobear and that my eggs were going dry so i wouldnt ever get to have children. True story.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• StuppyJoe
    StuppyJoe
    It's not that the people aren't out there. We are. I'm sociable even in my trade guilds (i.e., all of the damn things). Most of the time, it's a monologue. I've learned from WoW not to be deterred by that. Here's hoping that this game allows genuine social guilds soon, or finds some other way to encourage it. I really really want to like this game. Just not there yet.
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    Two points... first, every single MMO has had chat bubbles.
    This is quite simply not true. I feel that your arguments would carry more weight if you avoided blanket statements like this that, you must be aware, one or more of your readers will be able to disprove through their own experience.
    Edited by Sue_D_Nim on April 17, 2014 4:58PM
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • StuppyJoe
    StuppyJoe
    Not sure how you think chat bubbles would help. Mostly, I turn them off because they obscure the npc chat.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »
    Two points... first, every single MMO has had chat bubbles.
    This is quite simply not true. I feel that your arguments would carry more weight if you avoided blanket statements like this that, you must be aware, one or more of your readers will be able to disprove through their own experience.

@Sue_D_Nim Of course it is not true, but that is not the point. My point is that just because a bucket full of other MMOs do it does not mean that it is a fresh and current idea.

P.S. I see where you got confused. I missed the word "that" when I restated the quoted text.
    Edited by Elsonso on April 17, 2014 5:27PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Reymas
    Reymas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not really, there's very little going on in/say or /yell outside of scheduled RP events. Simple Chat Bubbles addon is not adequate. We need real chat bubbles ASAP (but have them toggled OFF by default).

Like this: http://i.imgur.com/EuLtLbB.jpg
    Edited by Reymas on April 18, 2014 9:57AM
    Honor, Duty and Piety for Morrowind
  • Rhylanna
    Rhylanna
    ✭✭
    I will sometimes make comments or ask for help in /say and sometimes, very rarely though, get a response. However, whenever I do see something in /say, I always make it a point to respond.

I'd also love to see OPTIONAL chat bubbles in this game. I have never played an online game with one and I think it sounds like it might be rather cool. And if it turns out it's not what I expected, I could just turn them off!
    Fatewalkers NA server, primarily Daggerfall Covenant, 30+ (mature, working folks with kids, dogs, etc!), casual, PVE oriented, small but growing!
    Antique Ordinatus Populus NA server, technically with Aldmeri Dominion but have members in all alliances, 40+ (even ++++!), mature, casual (fun people who sometimes forget what they're doing...or maybe that's just me :p ) antique-ordinatus-populus.enjin.com
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No chat bubbles please, saw a pretty disgusting conversation in zone yesterday, just imagine that in chat bubbles. People have no shame, they think any attention is good. Really I don't care where you put your body parts just keep it to yourself. There are always people who abuse everything and spoil it for the rest. If I see chat bubbles I think comic book. Just my opinion.
  • GaBacon
    GaBacon
    ✭✭
    well sometimes i have all chat turned off except a couple of guild chats.