The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Official Feedback Thread for Nameplates

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for nameplates. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
  • Did you find the bars, names, and icons were clear and legible?
  • Was the size too big, too small, or just right?
  • Are there other options that you would like to have available?
  • Do you have any other general feedback?
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi.

The nameplates, bars, and icons are clear and legible, under optimum conditions.

The drop shadow is not dark enough. Would it be possible to put a semitransparent background behind the nameplate to improve readability? I am thinking just behind the text itself, not the entire area of the nameplate. Also, not a really dark background, definitely less than 30%. Just enough to pull it out from the background. (Edit:changed mind about background, bad idea) Even with the drop shadow, when it is muted due to not being the target, white text is hard to read in Orsinium against a snow background.

The size is a little odd. I was expecting them to be less noticeable (smaller) the further away they are. Instead, the text size seems to get bigger as the distance increases. (It does not actually get bigger, the surroundings get smaller)

When the UI is turned off (which I do for screen shots) the nameplates should also turn off.

BUG: Sometimes the foreground color is black in the nameplate text when targeted. Orzbara (musician) in Orsinium is where I saw this.

Edited by Elsonso on April 25, 2016 10:19PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • StopDropAndBear
    StopDropAndBear
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if I'm just missing it or what but there doesn't seem to be any way to display someone's Class on their nameplate, which seems like kind of an important detail to see?
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if I'm just missing it or what but there doesn't seem to be any way to display someone's Class on their nameplate, which seems like kind of an important detail to see?
    Agreed. Add-ons handle this with a class icon; hopefully that would be something that ZOS could easily add, since they already have the system set up for alliance icons.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like if guards and innocents would be treated as friendly NPCs until we engage combat because i like seeing the names of the enemies but i hate seeing all the names when i go into a town, neutral NPCs are treated as enemies so even if i change the friendly NPC to target only it doesn't affect them because they are treated as enemies even when you are not attacking or being attacked by them.
    Some of my favorite screenshots
    My opinions and posts are mostly on a PvE setting.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    someone post a picture as an example please,im at work :(
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an exmaple @Mojmir
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ra'Shtar wrote: »

cool thank you!! are you able to toggle them off? as in not see any of them.
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »

cool thank you!! are you able to toggle them off? as in not see any of them.

They are toggled off by default, you have to active them.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like if guards and innocents would be treated as friendly NPCs until we engage combat because i like seeing the names of the enemies but i hate seeing all the names when i go into a town, neutral NPCs are treated as enemies so even if i change the friendly NPC to target only it doesn't affect them because they are treated as enemies even when you are not attacking or being attacked by them.
    What would be better I think is if these Justice Neutral NPCs had their own, separate setting. There should be individual settings for:
    • Hostile Enemy NPCs (red)
    • Neutral Enemy NPCs (yellow)
    • Justice Neutral NPCs (white)
    • Friendly NPCs (green)
    • Hostile Players (red)
    • Friendly Players (blue)
    • Group Members (cyan)
    • Self
    I would also love to see these colour identifiers appearing in the health bar that you see in the "static" nameplate at the top of the screen (the Azurah add-on does this, but it would be great as a base UI feature).

Edited by Enodoc on April 25, 2016 11:18PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • randolphbenoit
    randolphbenoit
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you add an option to nameplate

[ ] Click to see the word "the" instead of the comma (,)

ex. Names like "Billy, Explorer" shows as "Billy the Explorer", "Candy, Master Thief" shows as "Candy the Master Thief"
    the NeXus Guild (NA-DC-Crafters) contact @randolphbenoit - Currently Allies to Fairy Tail of Tamriel (Social) and Brave Kore (DC PvP). https://twitter.com/randolphbenoit

Saltrice - (Salt tolerant rice) Saltrice, pronounced just like it looks is, in fact, a kind of rice that can grow in paddies of either fresh or brackish water.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Eewww
    Takes me back to DAoC days. Glad there is an option. I won't bother to test it but glad it's added for the many months, years it was requested for
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I want to be able to show a guild of my choice in my nameplate WITHOUT having to wear a guild tabbard.

Also, different colours for friends and maybe guildmates would be nice.
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removed
    Edited by Voxicity on April 26, 2016 12:12AM
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Woeler wrote: »
    I want to be able to show a guild of my choice in my nameplate WITHOUT having to wear a guild tabbard.

Agreed, can we represent our guild without having to wear the silky tabard? Also can we have a tabard that made from some other kind of material other than silk? Like leather, cloth or even some kind of metal overlay or scales? Something creative.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

See this is now looking a lot more like every other online RPG out there. A welcome change for sure
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • KrishakPanettier
    KrishakPanettier
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of Guild Name based on Tabard currently worn, have a drop down selection menu for your Guilds like when you choose to claim a resource for your guild in Cyrodiil. Also add a permission in Guild whether someone can display Tabard and guildname.
    Krishak Kringle aka KrishakPanettier, Templar (PSN:KrishakPanettier)
    -- PS4 NA --

PVP, PVE, and Trader Guild Leader
    Guild:
    - Rent-A-Zerg Mercs AD (one-time large AD PVP Guild - now PVP, PVE, dungeons, trials, and crafting)
    - Shadow Exiles AD (merged into RAZ AD)
    - Recruiting all levels, for help all in-game content. Not just PVP anymore. Not just AD.

Online:
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/RAZ.AD
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/ShadowExiles
    - Twitter: @ShadowExiles
    - www: www.shadowexiles.com
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I figure this is the quick and dirty way to do it. Otherwise, the player has to find the UI to set the guild, or set none at all.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have always had enemy players and NPC healthbars turned on, and I do not like the change to them (whether nameplates are turned on or off) - the healthbars are now really large even when nameplates are toggled off, and look as though they belong in a game circa 1996 rather than 2016, rather than the quite tidy bars that were there before.

Not sure quite how to explain it, but the bars themselves (and the text when you turn on nameplates) looks really very lo-res compared to the rest of the graphics, or like they've been added in MS Paint.

Sorry to be so derogatory, I just can't think of/don't know a better or more technical way of describing it. It's really ugly and since it affects the appearance of health bars even when nameplates are turned off, I would appreciate it if the whole thing was tidied up a bit so that at least the healthbars look like they do currently in live.

EDIT: It's getting late here now, but tomorrow I will take some screenshots on live and on PTS to demonstrate what I am talking about
    Edited by Epona222 on April 26, 2016 1:53AM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Vifen
    Vifen
    ✭✭✭
    Can we have a damage trail that not only shows damage done but also damage received? and that both can be toggled separately?
    PC EU

G Strongarm - 50 sorc
    Vifen Ah - 50 dk crafter
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (unable to play on the PTS)

Can anyone confirm if alliance rank symbols are included in nameplates? I'd like to see this added if not
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since it's a generally nameplatey thing, I hope this is also the right place for feedback on "resource numbers" (ie, seeing 25000 (100%) on your health bar and target frame).

I would like the following options for this, more than just "Number/Percent/Off", and split for Target Frame and Player Frame:
    • Off
    • Value (20000)
    • Value/Max (20000/25000)
    • Percent (80%)
    • Value (Percent) (20000 (80%))
    • All (20000/25000 (80%))
    Edited by Enodoc on April 26, 2016 11:16PM
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you find the bars, names, and icons were clear and legible?

Some of the chosen colours eg, our own health bar seem to fancy and do not fit in with the rest of the game

Was the size too big, too small, or just right?

Sizes feel way to big and floaty

Are there other options that you would like to have available?

Please allow us to remove our @username even when nameplates are toggled off. Seeing username under character name is unnimersive and also adds to the clutter and info overload

Do you have any other general feedback?

Please make everything be an option. Do not force changes especially visual ones on people. Also the Guild name, make it selectable from a drop down menu, instead of wearing tabards.
    Similarly, Is there perhaps a better way to give the role of NPCs rather than a <Fence>? Perhaps Just "Fence" or Fence or "the Fence" wwould be preferable.

Having ESO being different than other MMOs is a good thing. We want ESO to stand out!
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK I took some screenshots of health bars as they are on live and how they are on the PTS as I promised I would, I posted them on another thread though that was also specifically discussing the issue with health bars (not with the entire nameplate) so probably best if I just link to that thread here if that's OK (it's only a short thread and all my pics are on the first page!)

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/262203/new-intrusive-health-bar-is-ruining-my-immersion#latest
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • StopDropAndBear
    StopDropAndBear
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really can't say I care for the UserID display either, seems completely unnecessary to me.
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Since it's a generally nameplatey thing, I hope this is also the right place for feedback on "resource numbers" (ie, seeing 25000 (100%) on your health bar and target frame).

I would like the following options for this, more than just "On/Off", and split for Target Frame and Player Frame:
    • Off
    • Value (20000)
    • Percent (80%)

Although you expanded on it more than I did, I also suggested a similar setup in a thread.
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My toon looks amazing I don't want to use a tabard :(

lsTY9qi.png
    #MOREORBS
  • Annra
    Annra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not want to show everyone my userID.
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can any one post a pic of how to tell their rank now??
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »

I would like the following options for this, more than just "On/Off", and split for Target Frame and Player Frame:
    • Off
    • Value (20000)
    • Percent (80%)

Ugh. I would dislike that.
  • Hookgrin
    Hookgrin
    ✭✭✭
    UI On/Off needs to toggle nameplates on and off.

Would also like a keybind to toggle nameplates on and off. Nameplates are not something I want to use, but there may be times when being able to flip them on to find someone and then flip them back off might be useful.
    Edited by Hookgrin on April 27, 2016 2:10AM