The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should Magic-users do more damage with Staves than when Dual-Wielding?

Uriel_Nocturne
Uriel_Nocturne
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
As the title states, should Magicka-users using Staves do more damage/heal more damage when using Staves than a Magicka-user Dual-Wielding Swords?

Let's see if we can get enough support to get this ship righted.
Edited by Uriel_Nocturne on January 7, 2016 3:13PM

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

Should Magic-users do more damage with Staves than when Dual-Wielding? 376 votes

Yes, Sorcerers using Staves should do the most damage with their Spells.
69%
Nestorrfennell_ESOHuggalumpmwd419_ESOEzarethjosh.lackey_ESOvailjohn_ESOJoy_Divisionold_mufasaUriel_NocturneNajjynnavelopolcakb14a_ESOMojmiragabahmeatshieldb14_ESObloodenragedb14_ESODaveMoeDeeGreevirKovaThatNeonZebraAgaincavakthestampede 260 votes
No, it's perfectly reasonable for Sorc's using Dual-Wielding to do more Spell damage.
19%
sabresandiego_ESOSolarikenDazmilan09BarbzillaJsmallsHoaxssewallb14_ESOXsoruslolo_01b16_ESOeserras7b16_ESOAra_ValleriaWitarAenlirdreamfarerZiakaKenaPKKShareeShunravijakobandersen84prb18_ESOianock 73 votes
N/A, I don't care either way.
11%
MorbashNyteshadeJusticiarbrandonbirg_ESObloodravnb14_ESOCinnamon_SpiderIruil_ESOValveAllPlayAndNoWorkSeptimus_Magnamousekime111rwb17_ESOroguestrike01ub17_ESOSkiseronyStilliansrfrogg23TendrakenolsborgultimbaHeindrichbountyspiter 43 votes
  • americansteel
    americansteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    any magic class using STAFF should do more spell damage.
    NO LONGER PLAYING ESO

POOR SERVER PERFORMANCE
    LAG
    LOAD SCREENS
    DONE
  • robkrush
    robkrush
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    N/A, I don't care either way.
    Shouldn't there be an option for them to do the same damage?

Traditionally speaking magic users use staffs but in this game magic power is not dependent on weapon type but influenced by runes one can put into their weapon. I think it makes sense that a warrior could only utilize one weapon rune regardless of how many wrapons they equip. That woulds mak choosing a weapon fall back on to what type of skills you wanted to use rather than boosting your magic. Of course then sword and board would be the obvious choice so.... Idk.
    Edited by robkrush on December 23, 2015 9:43PM
    PS4-NA-DC
    PSN: robkrush

The game's central concept of "PvP in PvP areas and be safe in safe areas" needs to stay the way it is.
    ZOS, 1-12-2016
  • SSlarg
    SSlarg
    ✭✭✭
    all the way back to dungeons & dragons

the spell casters were Always the most powerful.
    PS4 NA PSN - SSlarg
    Currently Looking To Buy:
    NoThInG
  • ostrapz
    ostrapz
    ✭✭✭
    Not limiting this to sorcs, dw shouldnt b betterthan a staff for magicka. An all ep character on xb1? I thought i was the only 1 not playin all factions lol
    Xbox 1 NA
    Stamblade: Grand overlord
    Stamsorc: Major
    Magplar: Centurion
    551k vma
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's odd to slot a Stamina based weapon to increase Spell Power. Especially if your weaving Light/Heavy Attacks while casting.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's perfectly reasonable for Sorc's using Dual-Wielding to do more Spell damage.
    Destro staves should be buffed, ATM all the skills are pretty lame and passives underwhelming. That being said, it's a good thing that dual wield gives me more raw damage. Gives more options for builds and play styles and there is a very real trade off. That increased damage comes at the cost of being able to heavy weave weapon attacks with other skills. Sorcerer in particular is most affected by this, because they dont have awesome class skills that can be spammed whilst having dual wield equipped such as whip, sweeps, or swallow soul/concealed weapon. As such, the best Sorcerer builds use staves in PvP anyways. In PvE destro staff is a must with dual wield only being used for executes and overload.

So for these reasons, I think the system is fine as is. Dual wield being relevant to magicka builds gives the game variety and and allows for different builds to be viable. I don't wanna see magicka builds all using only one weapon, that would be lame. But once again, I firmly support destro staffs being buffed in a meaningful way.

A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Losing the ability to weave at range is plenty of reason to use a staff.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SSlarg wrote: »

I loved playing my Mages/Wizards in D&D. They were/are my favorite Class.

I still play regularly, and my Wizard kicks seven kinds of ass. XD
    ostrapz wrote: »
    Not limiting this to sorcs, dw shouldnt b betterthan a staff for magicka. An all ep character on xb1? I thought i was the only 1 not playin all factions lol
    I agree completely.

And; LOL! If it isn't Ebonheart, then I don't play it. :D

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

• UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps Zenimax could make a seperate base damage stat for weapons? Like for example a metal weapon and bow with 800 base damage gives 600 to spell damage and vice versa for Staves?
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on December 23, 2015 9:56PM
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All mag damage should be maxed with a destro staff. When they crapped on Cycle of life it was supposedly because doing magic DPS with a magic resto stick made "no sense". It is quite ironic that two swords makes more sense for them.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • zerosingularity
    zerosingularity
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kinda beating a dead horse here. You are gonna find a high % of votes will be for staves>swords for spell damage, or at least equal in damage. If not then a buff to the destro skill-line to make staves more appealing for DPS. (So templars still get high damage with their Puncturing Sweep spam)

Also, mages with swords, tanks with staffs and skirts. One of these got fixed, when will the other.
    NA-PC

Kaineth - Stamina Nightblade (Weakest Player Ever!)
    Elena Stormwood - Magicka Sorcerer (vMA no Death 12/21/15 Score 401148)
    Sheila Feyrondas - Magicka Dragonknight Tank (Frost staves are gonna be fun!)

*Disclaimer* I fail at emotional communication, so assume what I say is NOT meant to be offensive.
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OH F@WK YES!

Not only that, but any MAGICKA build should do more dmg with a staff than any other weapon type. This goes for more than just destro... Resto staves too! Staff=magick!
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there's any single issue in the game where ESO's developers are SO far out of touch with the players. This isn't just a "balance" issue, it's also an aesthetic issue that monkeys with the player's sense of immersion.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Eleusian
    Eleusian
    ✭✭✭
    Gandalf carried a staff and sword at the same time kickin butt , I want that option !
    PS4 NA
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I answered staves, but ideally I'd like to see the same spell damage regardless of weapon equipped, for the sake of diversity.
  • ajwest927
    ajwest927
    ✭✭✭
    It make no sense that a melee weapon can give up spell damage?
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never understood the concept that two swords, meant for melee attacks/skills, would provide a passive Spell Damage bonus. Maybe a passive should be introduced/reworked with Destro/Resto staves that provides the same level of spell damage that 2H/DW provides and leave melee weapon passives to melee/stamina classes.

The way it works now closely resembles a battlemage, sort of what a Stam Sorc is (imo). I'd much prefer carrying around a staff.
    Rogue's Gallery (EP)(NA)(XB1)

Proud Member and Officer
    We’re recruiting for our ESO (Xbox One) Chapter
    ESO Application: Apply Here
    Homepage: http://www.roguesgalleryguild.com/
    TF Guild Page: http://tamrielfoundry.com/groups/rogues-gallery/
    Character List
    "Varyn Wryn" cp427 Nord Templar (Magicka DPS/Healer)
    "Maelis Artorius" cp427 Redguard Dragonknight (Stamina DPS)
    "Arius the Shade" cp427 Khajiit Nightblade (Stamina DPS)
    "Astalor Bloodsworn" Level 7 Altmer Sorcerer (Magicka DPS)
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not just sorcerers ANY spellcaster should do this.
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's silly not to!! Even Mannimarco has a staff! You don't see him duel wielding!

tumblr_n3dj0uOH6C1qfqxj7o1_500.png
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Guffel001
    Guffel001
    Lets not forget about the fact that you have 2 weapons dw and just 1 staff so you can use one set piece more . Thats why staff should deal even more (spell-)damage
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully @Wrobel is paying attention to this thread and hopefully this is part of their future "balance" initiative. Given that DW already gets an additional crafting set bonus, also having it give more Spell Damage just doesn't make sense. Sure it's TWO weapons, but they're STAMINA weapons- which doesn't make sense for Magicka builds; a Magicka-based weapon should do more Spell Damage than a Magicka character using Stamina weapons.
    Edited by ADarklore on December 24, 2015 12:08AM
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Telel
    Telel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SSlarg wrote: »

A khajiit doing their J.R.R Tolkien impersonation called.

He wanted to remind you Gandalf used a sword more than he used magic missile.
    Character: Telel
    Class: Night Blade-Werewolf-viking-ninja-catgirl-mallet wielder
    Past times: Refusing to go full magika spec, hitting things with a big hammer, sniping, and speaking in khajiit
    Also: Gelel the Derp Knight, Altsel the streaker, and Filafel the temp temp.

Khajiit has a twitch stream! https://twitch.tv/telel_khajiit feel free to come see how truly unskilled Telel is.
  • Spearshard
    Spearshard
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not opposed to a mage duel wielding, but it should be a magica based weapon, at least have it make sense.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    CyrusArya wrote: »
    Destro staves should be buffed, ATM all the skills are pretty lame and passives underwhelming. That being said, it's a good thing that dual wield gives me more raw damage. Gives more options for builds and play styles and there is a very real trade off. That increased damage comes at the cost of being able to heavy weave weapon attacks with other skills. Sorcerer in particular is most affected by this, because they dont have awesome class skills that can be spammed whilst having dual wield equipped such as whip, sweeps, or swallow soul/concealed weapon. As such, the best Sorcerer builds use staves in PvP anyways. In PvE destro staff is a must with dual wield only being used for executes and overload.

So for these reasons, I think the system is fine as is. Dual wield being relevant to magicka builds gives the game variety and and allows for different builds to be viable. I don't wanna see magicka builds all using only one weapon, that would be lame. But once again, I firmly support destro staffs being buffed in a meaningful way.

This.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Hopefully @Wrobel is paying attention to this thread and hopefully this is part of their future "balance" initiative. Given that DW already gets an additional crafting set bonus, also having it give more Spell Damage just doesn't make sense. Sure it's TWO weapons, but they're STAMINA weapons- which doesn't make sense for Magicka builds; a Magicka-based weapon should do more Spell Damage than a Magicka character using Stamina weapons.

Oh, the devs are aware of the issue. Last time I saw someone from ZOS pitch in on this, they said (again) that it's working as intended. Because ranged vs. melee. They simply can't wrap their heads around the fact that (i) there's no pure ranged in PvP (gap closers and all), (ii) there's no pure ranged in PvE (I can't exactly spam Elemental Ring from 18m away - ironically, that's a melee-range destro staff skill) and (iii) the whole ranged vs. melee "risk vs. reward" argument doesn't hold any water.
    Edited by daemonios on December 24, 2015 12:38AM
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't light attack weave with dual swords so there is a tradeoff in terms of balance.
    If this were not the case, and in fact Staves increased spell dmg as dual swords do, then I think we would find sorc DPS OP threads all over the place....
  • NecrosIX
    NecrosIX
    ✭✭
    Hybrids are already weak with the soft cap removal. I don't think they need less reasons to go hybrid. I do agree that the range of gap closers are too long though. In PvE they are fine. Maybe nerf them in PvP?
    Edited by NecrosIX on December 24, 2015 2:52AM
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    any magic class using STAFF should do more spell damage.

What this guy said. Like if sorcerers get more magic damage with staffs then I want DKs to block more with shields and Nords to deal more damage with 2H weapons and Argonians to deal more damage with bows and DW and of course Templars to heal more with restoration staffs and deal more damage with 2H.
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's silly not to!! Even Mannimarco has a staff! You don't see him duel wielding!

tumblr_n3dj0uOH6C1qfqxj7o1_500.png

Well that's cause his staff alone can bring the dead back to life let alone his magic.
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stupid poll.
    Why sorcs only?
    Think it should be class independen mechs.
    Stamina weapons passives should not affect spell dmg stamina weapon base dmg should not add to spell dmg more then magika weapons and vice versa.