Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

SWTOR all over again?

• Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robocles wrote: »
    The SWTOR model penalizes you if you don't sub... pretty severely. This doesn't, it just gives subs a buff. If you think xp boosts and a bit more gold is P2W in this game, not sure what to tell you.
    Agreed, ZOS don't seem to be really interested in subscribers, the benefits you get are pretty dismal in terms of value for money in comparison to what you get if you don't pay.

Except you don't get dinged for any new content... but, yeah, we'll have to see.
  • staticstorm
    staticstorm
    ✭✭
    SWTOR is the worst F2P, followed by LOTRO, maybe you should take a look at The Secret World, B2P, and hope we get something like that.
    There's precious little difference between B2P and F2P, B2P isn't a sustainable business model, the revenue they get from the boxes alone will be entirely insufficient to cover more than power costs I expect.
    GW2 would be the model or TSW. cash shop items + box sales + DLC prices.
    Edited by staticstorm on January 21, 2015 5:41PM
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is 100% FtP... the only difference is you have to buy the Box as the first pay gate...

100% File Transfer Protocol ? did u happen to mean F2P ?

Free to play sorry I dont use the l33t speak

sorry that's how companies use it as FTP means something else.

FtP is different then FTP... F2P is stupid
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once people recognise the distinction between B2P and F2P, things may actually calm down around these here' ways.

This is F2P because all the PC USERS have already bought the game... its JUST LIKE LoTRO... you get bonuses for buying the game then its F2P... its the first paygate to play its WORSE then F2P

Umm. There is definitely a difference between F2P and B2P. F2P regardless of sub or not. Youll have access to every new addition of content. B2P only those holding a sub or those willing to buy the DLC out right will have access to the new content.

Anyone denying the difference are either fearmongering or struggle with understanding why they are different.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Emencie
    Emencie
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played SWTOR after it went F2P. I kept paying the monthly subscription just like I did before it went F2P. The maturity of the community was no different before or after the F2P conversion. Since I was still paying a monthly sub, I was never affected by the annoyances of F2P. Based on my experiences in SWTOR after it went F2P, it's really hard for me to take the TESO doom and gloomers seriously. I will continue to pay a sub for TESO and I am predicting my gameplay won't be affected at all by anyone taking advantage of the F2P model.
    Here is my problem with it.

In the SWTOR F2P/sub model like this one. You needed the sub to get access to everything. But they also constantly added items, mounts, clothing, dyes, and more to the cash shop

the total amount of items they added each moth had a total purchasing cost easily over the "free" cash shop currency you got for being a sub. And you could never save up to get everything because they were producing cash shop Items too quickly. So if you wanted one of the new outfits, one of the new weapons and wanted to try out the new dye color this month you had to buy additional cash shop tokens on top of your sub!

When I looked at my SWTOR monthly Fee and realized I was closer to $30 a month since "F2P" had started I left. I feels like a scam to me.
  • staticstorm
    staticstorm
    ✭✭
    This is 100% FtP... the only difference is you have to buy the Box as the first pay gate...

100% File Transfer Protocol ? did u happen to mean F2P ?

Free to play sorry I dont use the l33t speak

sorry that's how companies use it as FTP means something else.

FtP is different then FTP... F2P is stupid

if you say so, its only stupid to ppl afraid to break grammar and use numbers in lettering
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Raaecl wrote: »
    The SWTOR model penalizes you if you don't sub... pretty severely. This doesn't, it just gives subs a buff. If you think xp boosts and a bit more gold is P2W in this game, not sure what to tell you.

Well its a beginning. From what ive read in the forums it seems that soul gems and potions will also be sold there.

Nowhere did ZOS mention health pots or soul gems. They are so freakin' easy to come by it's not even funny.

Yah they did. And yes they are.

It wasn't in the faq I read... I will defer if you provide me a link.

Hmm... in another thread someone posted this:

"You can spend crowns in the in-game Crown Store to get unique mounts, special vanity pets, a variety of fun costumes for your character, and convenience items like health potions and soul gems."

but now I can't find the exact quote in the faq, so maybe I am wrong, or this person misquoted, or it was changed.

Another example of a company that can't communicate. I just saw that one... I defer.

Please link it. Its quite early on so unless this person is actually in with the section of ZOS that will be charged with overlooking the Cash Shop. I suspect their misspeaking.
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWTOR was a great game when it had subscriptions, then they went F2P and all the in game purchases were frustrating. It just puts people off playing the game. Make the game buy to play but with expansion packs, so all players get an equal (and also the best) experience. Im sure most of us wont mind paying for the major updates and zones. There is no need for other in game purchases. The 10% buffs are just P2W.
    What do I win with an extra 10% XP buff while leveling? I love this ridiculous mantra the haters are spouting, you WIN NOTHING in the PVE side of the game and I have no time for PVP so ignore it.

Your OP though does have some sense .. both SW:TOR and ESO failed to even last 12 months on paid subs, that says something pretty bad about the games' appeal.
  • Raaecl
    Raaecl
    ✭✭
    Emencie wrote: »
    I played SWTOR after it went F2P. I kept paying the monthly subscription just like I did before it went F2P. The maturity of the community was no different before or after the F2P conversion. Since I was still paying a monthly sub, I was never affected by the annoyances of F2P. Based on my experiences in SWTOR after it went F2P, it's really hard for me to take the TESO doom and gloomers seriously. I will continue to pay a sub for TESO and I am predicting my gameplay won't be affected at all by anyone taking advantage of the F2P model.

In the SWTOR F2P/sub model like this one. You needed the sub to get access to everything. But they also constantly added items, mounts, clothing, dyes, and more to the cash shop

the total amount of items they added each moth had a total purchasing cost easily over the "free" cash shop currency you got for being a sub. And you could never save up to get everything because they were producing cash shop Items too quickly. So if you wanted one of the new outfits, one of the new weapons and wanted to try out the new dye color this month you had to buy additional cash shop tokens on top of your sub!

When I looked at my SWTOR monthly Fee and realized I was closer to $30 a month since "F2P" had started I left. I feels like a scam to me.

Exactly
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well its a beginning. From what ive read in the forums it seems that soul gems and potions will also be sold there.

Nowhere did ZOS mention health pots or soul gems. They are so freakin' easy to come by it's not even funny.

"You can spend crowns in the in-game Crown Store to get unique mounts, special vanity pets, a variety of fun costumes for your character, and convenience items like health potions and soul gems."

but now I can't find the exact quote in the faq, so maybe I am wrong, or this person misquoted, or it was changed.

Another example of a company that can't communicate. I just saw that one... I defer.

Please link it. Its quite early on so unless this person is actually in with the section of ZOS that will be charged with overlooking the Cash Shop. I suspect their misspeaking.

Check a couple posts up from that one. The link is there. It is the "ESO Plus Explained" article, not the faq.

edit: Here
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/2015/01/21/your-guide-to-eso-plus-premium-membership?_ga=1.143560693.1744955668.1421853829
    Edited by danno8 on January 21, 2015 5:49PM
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Check a couple posts up from that one. The link is there. It is the "ESO Plus Explained" article, not the faq.

edit: Here
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/2015/01/21/your-guide-to-eso-plus-premium-membership?_ga=1.143560693.1744955668.1421853829

If theyre stupid enough to paygate those. Theyll be making swift changes to that once the rest of the community gets a whiff of it.
  • Paske
    Paske
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well acording to ESO live pots in cash shop will be of lesser quality then player crafted.

Wait and see
  • Rescorla_ESO
    Rescorla_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

So in reality your problem with SWTOR was that Biowarw added items to their cash shop that compelled you to spend money above and beyond your monthly subscription amount on items that you did not NEED to succeed in the game but WANTED because it was a cool cosmetic item. There wasn't an actual problem with the game itself but instead the problem was the lack of willpower on your part that caused you to spend real life cash for cosmetic items.
  • Feidam
    Feidam
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the live stream and they clarified the announcement.

1. The game is buy to play.

2. DLC will introduce more content in addition to their normal patches.

3. The store will sell cosmetic items. Costumes, mounts etc. and convince items. Potions, should gems repair kits. All of the convince items are equal to what vendors sells, but weaker than player made consumables.

4.you have the option of the eso plus sub which grants 10% bonuses to xp, gold, inspiration gains, research time. No AP gain bonuses. As part of the eso plus they give you a kickback if you will of extra crowns.

5. All players who buy the game get 500 crowns. Old players get 100 crowns per month subbed prior to new system.
  • Emencie
    Emencie
    ✭✭✭✭

So in reality your problem with SWTOR was that Biowarw added items to their cash shop that compelled you to spend money above and beyond your monthly subscription amount on items that you did not NEED to succeed in the game but WANTED because it was a cool cosmetic item. There wasn't an actual problem with the game itself but instead the problem was the lack of willpower on your part that caused you to spend real life cash for cosmetic items.

You don't need anything to succeed in these games... In fact the phrasing "Need to succeed in the game" Seems sort of strange.

But in case you don't get it from there here is an example.

In the SWTOR F2P Model, to get new outfits for my character I have 2 choices. Go buy them from the auction house from someone who purchased it from the cash shop, or I need to purchase tokens, then buy the outfits I want on top of my subscription fee.

In the subscription model, Lets take WoW for example. I also have 2 choices. I can buy them from the auction house from someone who did the content and got the drop, or I can find what bosses the outfit drops off of, and go fight them to get my outfit.

I like one way more than the other primarily because I feel like we are all getting scammed in F2P. Once goods can be purchased for real money it starts to change the way the game feels and works. simply putting sell able items in the cash shop gives gold a real world value. Things start becoming worth money even though they are not sold for money. Also I personally have a big problem with the current F2P market which preys on addictive personalities to milk money out of a game they no longer produce content for, while still asking for a sub from players who simply purchase in game goods from the people that cant stop buying.

I personally don't like it when every action and inaction in my video game is reduced to dollars and cents.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now who do I believe? ESOs devs should be more transparent with us.

They did

And if anyone believes they are going to be selling the normal potions we throw away in the cash shop they are deceiving themselves.

The cash shop potions will either be tri-potions, or a new potion that has some advantage over normal potions. Or else no one would buy them.

Apparently the unique thing with them is they scale to the user's level, but cap out at a lower quality than the crafted ones.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWTOR is the worst F2P, followed by LOTRO, maybe you should take a look at The Secret World, B2P, and hope we get something like that.

Without the RSI or constant difficulty ramp ups, right?
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is a huge F2P B2P Spin zone . It's all the same garbage .
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    With Tamriel Unlimited, we are not changing the current rate at which your characters progress. That includes experience and AP gain rate, gold gain speed, what your character can equip, etc. The overall experience will be no different than the game you're playing now.
    Jessica Folsom
    Associate Director of Community - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • BalerionBlackDread
    BalerionBlackDread
    ✭✭✭
    Feidam wrote: »
    Just watched the live stream and they clarified the announcement.

1. The game is buy to play.

2. DLC will introduce more content in addition to their normal patches.

3. The store will sell cosmetic items. Costumes, mounts etc. and convince items. Potions, should gems repair kits. All of the convince items are equal to what vendors sells, but weaker than player made consumables.

4.you have the option of the eso plus sub which grants 10% bonuses to xp, gold, inspiration gains, research time. No AP gain bonuses. As part of the eso plus they give you a kickback if you will of extra crowns.

5. All players who buy the game get 500 crowns. Old players get 100 crowns per month subbed prior to new system.

Also, I believe they said crowns and items bought in the crown shop will not be sell-able and will not be trade-able, so another positive aspect to this.
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWTOR was a great game when it had subscriptions, then they went F2P and all the in game purchases were frustrating. It just puts people off playing the game. Make the game buy to play but with expansion packs, so all players get an equal (and also the best) experience. Im sure most of us wont mind paying for the major updates and zones. There is no need for other in game purchases. The 10% buffs are just P2W.

I would agree , but SWTOR at the end analysis is a single player game with a multi player lobby called the fleet.

ESO has its flaws but it's a true MMO. and the Freemium model for swtor only brought back the population. but the content did get crappy post change.
  • Miflett
    Miflett
    ✭✭✭

Exactly my thoughts.

• Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do I win with an extra 10% XP buff while leveling? I love this ridiculous mantra the haters are spouting, you WIN NOTHING in the PVE side of the game and I have no time for PVP so ignore it.

Your OP though does have some sense .. both SW:TOR and ESO failed to even last 12 months on paid subs, that says something pretty bad about the games' appeal.

both games were released at least a year before they should.

its like selling a car before every part has been assambled. it doesent work in the long run but software publisher don´t get that, and do not realise that they burn their reputation by doing so...
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You don't need anything to succeed in these games... In fact the phrasing "Need to succeed in the game" Seems sort of strange.

But in case you don't get it from there here is an example.

In the SWTOR F2P Model, to get new outfits for my character I have 2 choices. Go buy them from the auction house from someone who purchased it from the cash shop, or I need to purchase tokens, then buy the outfits I want on top of my subscription fee.

In the subscription model, Lets take WoW for example. I also have 2 choices. I can buy them from the auction house from someone who did the content and got the drop, or I can find what bosses the outfit drops off of, and go fight them to get my outfit.

I like one way more than the other primarily because I feel like we are all getting scammed in F2P. Once goods can be purchased for real money it starts to change the way the game feels and works. simply putting sell able items in the cash shop gives gold a real world value. Things start becoming worth money even though they are not sold for money. Also I personally have a big problem with the current F2P market which preys on addictive personalities to milk money out of a game they no longer produce content for, while still asking for a sub from players who simply purchase in game goods from the people that cant stop buying.

I personally don't like it when every action and inaction in my video game is reduced to dollars and cents.

Go play STO and tell me there arent things you need to pay for to succeed in the game with. Its a DPS race over there and the only means to access some of the items/gear is through playing through some of the largest HP Sponges youll ever lay eyes on. And the only means of getting through those HP Sponges is through very High DPS. Which is only obtainable through specific builds with specific items. Those specific items are quite often tied to their gambling mechanic.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With Tamriel Unlimited, we are not changing the current rate at which your characters progress. That includes experience and AP gain rate, gold gain speed, what your character can equip, etc. The overall experience will be no different than the game you're playing now.

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom: What stunned me the most upon hearing the P2P news was the disdain that transpired through the announcement. Despite numerous polls on the subject and most of your current suscribers feeling satisfied with the payment model, you still went along with the change.

From the press release:
    “Our fans are our biggest inspiration, and we’ve listened to their feedback on the entertainment experience they want,” said Matt Firor, Game Director of The Elder Scrolls Online. “We know that Elder Scrolls fans want choice when it comes to how they play and how they pay, and that is what they will get.

Elder Scrolls fans are right here and they didn't ask for this change.
    Wololo.
  • SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWTOR was never released for consoles, so no it's not the same.
  • Torquebow
    Torquebow
    ✭✭✭

But you are giving people the option to buy a xp potion from the cash shop correct? How does this not change character progression? I'm sorry I don't buy these statements from your company anymore.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me is the old saying.
    Vokundein
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    Torqbow - Thrall of Vokundein
  • Lukeh Shadyvale
    Lukeh Shadyvale
    ✭✭✭
    Torquebow wrote: »

But you are giving people the option to buy a xp potion from the cash shop correct? How does this not change character progression? I'm sorry I don't buy these statements from your company anymore.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me is the old saying.

XD No that is totally not option.
    With ESO+ you get a 10% increase n the XP you earn and goal you acquire, basically. a New(NON-ESO+) player will play what we played for the last few months at the same rate as we do now
    On March17th when we go to the new model if we do not cancel our ESO+ membership then we earn XP 10% faster, get 10% more gold each time we aquire (i.e instead of 68g from Rewards of Worthy we'll get around 75g but non ESO+ members still get 68g)

The cast shop DOES NOT SELL XP POTS, You get crowns with ESO+ which is the currency for the Crown Store and you can buy packs of soul gems, MP,SP & HP pots which will NOT be any better than the ones you can craft so Alchemists are still awesome.
    Non-ESO+ members will most likely beable to buy crowns at a cost of so much £/$.. Which they can use to buy stuff from crown store.

But there are no XP Pots and whoever mentioned that clearly did not read anything correctly.
    Lukeh Shadyvale | V14 Bosmer Templar | Ebonheart Pact | EU Nowhere
    Cyrodiil is only good for fishing.
  • Kraven
    Kraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So which is it? You guys should probably get together, you're contradicting yourselves.
    We want it to be in good shape before we hand it over to all of you on the PTS. We'll let you know when we have a better idea of when that will be, but in the name of being as transparent as we can, there is a possibility it will not be next week.

Wait...nevermind. Who am I asking to be open and transparent.

So when you made the above comment in the name of being as transparent as you can, how much of a delay were you already aware of the cash shop design was causing?

In the name of being as transparent as you can, why wait so long to make this announcement?

In the name of being as transparent as you can, was it specifically to gain another month of subs from existing customers knowing many would cancel when the announcement was made?

In the name of being as transparent as you can, exactly how full of *** are ZOS employees?

In the name of being as transparent as you can, are you really so naive as to believe that a cash shop won't have any effect on game play at all?

In the name of being as transparent as you can, exactly how little do you think of your customers? How many lies do you really think you can feed them before enough is enough? How long do you expect to keep any respect of players when you show a blatant disregard for them on a weekly basis?
    Matt Firor, "Charging a flat monthly (or subscription) fee means that we will offer players the game we set out to make, and the one that fans want to play. Going with any other model meant that we would have to make sacrifices and changes we weren’t willing to make.”

"The Elder Scrolls Online was designed and developed to be a premium experience: hundreds of hours of gameplay, tons of depth and features, professional customer support – and a commitment to have ongoing content at regular intervals after launch. This type of experience is best paired with a one-time fee per month, as opposed to many smaller payments that would probably add up to more than $14.99/month any way."

Paul D. Sage: "No, we don’t have any plans that I am aware of to change it in the future. You know the business model is what the business model is and it allows us to deliver high level content on regular basis right now. So there are no plans that I am aware of."
    V14 - IMPERIAL NIGHTBLADE - DPS/TANK
    V13 - BRETON SORCERER - HEALS/DPS
    V2 - REDGUARD DRAGONKNIGHT - MELEE DPS
    V1 - BRETON TEMPLAR - TANK/DPS

to be continued... Nevermind, no longer "to be continued"
  • The_Great_Maldini
    The_Great_Maldini
    ✭✭✭

Matt Fior said it in the live broadcast. Where did you think people were getting this information?