The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Improvements for Stamina-Based Skills and Passives

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
Many of you have asked what we’re doing to make skills, passives, and builds based on stamina more viable and as attractive as the magicka-based options. Below is a first look at some of the improvements we’re making to stamina-based skills and passives. As with all our balance efforts, this is an ongoing process and there will be more to come. We look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Bow: Poison Arrow
  • Poison Arrow’s damage-over-time has been increased by 50% overall.

Bow: Snipe
  • Snipe’s cast time will be reduced from 3 seconds to 2 seconds.
  • Snipe’s maximum range will be reduced from 40 meters to 35 meters.
  • Snipe’s minimum range will be reduced from 20 meters to 10 meters.

Dual Wield: Flurry
  • The damage for Flurry’s final hit will be increased by 10%.

Medium Armor
  • With the Wind Walker passive, medium armor will reduce stamina costs by 2% per piece equipped.

Two Handed: Cleave
  • Cleave’s damage-over-time will be increased by 25% overall, and scale as the ability ranks up.

Two Handed: Uppercut
  • Uppercut’s damage will be increased by 10%.
  • Uppercut’s global cooldown after use will be reduced by 50%.
Jessica Folsom
Associate Director of Community - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Denaia
    Denaia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see somechanges BUT I don't think that the current changes will suffice. The damage increase is too low to make stamina worthwhile and heavy armor is still as *** as it was before. Besides that I don't think 2% stamina cost reduction for medium armor will do much.

It's a start, but sadly not enough for my liking.
    Options
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There needs to be a way for stam users to regen stam over long boss fights. Magicka users heavily rely on equilibrium and stam users have no such option. Evil hunter only works on fighter guild targets. As a stamina focused sorc, I have zero stam regen options for boss fights. Whirlwind regen is only significant in aoe situations and the damage is terrible above 25%hp. The 2h passive relies on killing blows. We need a way to manage stamina or you need to buff basic light/ heavy melee attacks because we are forced to use them because out of stamina.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
    Options
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW color me SHOCKED there is MORE Stamina reduction cost on TOP of the 20% you already get from melee weapons WOW. Medium Armor is going to rock.
    Edited by Shaun98ca2 on June 20, 2014 6:11PM
    Options
  • Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    With bow at Veteran Ranks, my gut feeling is:
    Medium Armour change looks good.
    Snipe is probably good at pvp, but would still be usually only used once in pve so probably still not worth using.
    Poison Arrow is for spell interruption/off-balance, situationally, when the CC breaking of dots doesn't matter. This change won't change that.
    Options
  • Tiberius_
    Tiberius_
    ✭✭✭
    I like to see progress on this front, but as others have stated, there is still a long way to go.

One of the things that makes magic-based skills so much better is not simply their damage, but also their utility

Really all the skills with interesting effects are magicka-based. DK pulls, sorc teleports, NB invis, DK spell reflect... All are magicka based. (I know sword and shield has a reflect skill, but it's not nearly as good as the DK reflect skill, since the 1H-shield skill has to be recast after each reflected spell)

The point is you can make stamina builds much more appealing by adding useful stamina-based utility skills.

Edit: fixed some typos
    Edited by Tiberius_ on June 20, 2014 6:15PM
    Options
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who do you think is gonna be the 1st idiot to complain Light Armor gets a 3% cost reduction per item versus Mediums 2% per? lol
    Options
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiberius_ wrote: »
    I like to see progress on this front, but as others have stated, there is still a long way to go.

One of the things that makes magic-based skills so much better is not simply their damage, but also their utility

Really all the skills with interesting effects are magicka-based. DK pulls, sorc teleports, NB invis, DK spell reflect... All are magicka based. (I know sword and shield has a reflect skill, but it's not nearly as good as the DK reflect skill, since the 1H-shield skill has to be recast after each reflected spell)

The point is you can make stamina builds much more appealing by adding useful stamina-based utility skills.

You know Stamina builds can still use that same utility that Magicka users use right?
    Options
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of you have asked what we’re doing to make skills, passives, and builds based on stamina more viable and as attractive as the magicka-based options.

First a Templar update, now this! A fantastic trend. Thank you again.

Options
  • shad0w18
    shad0w18
    ✭✭
    /nerdgasm

Edit:
    Wish they would look at increased initial damage for Flurry, too. Oh, and Blood Craze. Scale back the bleed DoT and more upfront damage. The DoT is already abysmal is is really only for pulling out NBs out of stealth :open_mouth: And bump Sparks by +1 and/or 2 sec.

Hurray for the start of the Great Stamina Revolution!
    Edited by shad0w18 on June 20, 2014 6:24PM
    Shadowstalk, Dominion-US VR6
    Vamp DW/Bow Stamina Build
    NA Auriel's Bow Veteran-1
    Options
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You have to be careful with this though because you could give magicka builds some very nice stam dumps. With a stam build, I like having utility skills cost magicka.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
    Options
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im thinking Reverse Slash needs 15% base damage increase then maybe slight cost increase as well.
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty disappointed to see nothing for Heavy Armour in the first announcement.
    I guess I'll wait longer. :(

Some nice little tweaks though, keep looking into it.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • Matuzes
    Matuzes
    ✭✭✭
    Question: Wind Walker give 1/2% per piece or 2/4% per item equipped?
    Snipe change is good, but rest ... its joke i hope. How poor skill changes to poor skills makes them better? Flurry 10% damage increase its like 20-30 more damage, and you needed so much time to show us this?
    Matuzes - Imperial Nightblade
    Headhunters
    Options
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snipe change is good, but rest ... its joke i hope. How poor skill changes to poor skills makes them better? Flurry 10% damage increase its like 20-30 more damage, and you needed so much time to show us this?

Windwalker will give 2% per piece cost reduction.
    Options
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Something else I feel strongly about is that medium's crit passive should be both physical AND spell crit. If you want to use stam weapons, you basically have to use medium armor, and if you use medium armor you need to focus on physical crit class abilities to complement your dps. Problem is Sorc have no physical crit class abilities so I'm basically locked out of any non-weapon ability means of damage. It really limits build potential.

Adding spell crit to medium will not affect magicka builds at all. They'll still prefer light armor for the other magicka passives. All this will do is help stam/med builds immensely and that is the point of these changes.

Please consider.
    Options
  • NerfEverything
    NerfEverything
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And just like that NBs become the most powerful class in PvP by far.

It sucks that it is going to be nearly impossible to balance PvP and PvE since Zen refuses to separate PvE and PvP stats like every other MMORPG that has figured out how to balance them.
    Options
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »

Windwalker will give 2% per piece cost reduction.

OOPs I see what your asking its probably 1/2
    Options
  • shad0w18
    shad0w18
    ✭✭
    And just like that NBs become the most powerful class in PvP by far.

It sucks that it is going to be nearly impossible to balance PvP and PvE since Zen refuses to separate PvE and PvP stats like every other MMORPG that has figured out how to balance them.

I don't understand this comment why it was directed at NBs only, considering every class has access to all these skills :confused:
    Shadowstalk, Dominion-US VR6
    Vamp DW/Bow Stamina Build
    NA Auriel's Bow Veteran-1
    Options
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of you have asked what we’re doing to make skills, passives, and builds based on stamina more viable and as attractive as the magicka-based options. Below is a first look at some of the improvements we’re making to stamina-based skills and passives. As with all our balance efforts, this is an ongoing process and there will be more to come. We look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Medium Armor
    • With the Wind Walker passive, medium armor will reduce stamina costs by 2% per piece equipped.

• Cleave’s damage-over-time will be increased by 25% overall, and scale as the ability ranks up.

Nothing about fixing 1h & s? Nothing about nerfing stick and skirts? No fixes to why heavy armor is absolutely useless? You guys are useless, zenimax
    Edited by Ragnar_Lodbrok on June 20, 2014 6:33PM
    Options
  • grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. thanks for the update.

- I like the poison arrow change: overall, all the dots need more love (duration, amount, stacking mechanics etc..)

- Medium armor Wind walker passive: 3% would have been better..maybe..We'll see.

- Two handed: uppercuts changes are interesting. More burst damage.. In line with people expectations..

Do you have plan to change the overall stamina mechanics? soft caps, attributes bonus, weapon damage scaling/increase?
    Options
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Medium Armor

Nothing about fixing 1h & s? Nothing about nerfing stick and skirts? No fixes to why heavy armor is absolutely useless? You guys are useless, zenimax

Didn't you already quit seven times over? This is just their first set of ideas as stated in the OP.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Rude and Insulting comments]
    Edited by ZOS_LeroyW on June 20, 2014 6:47PM
    Options
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Medium Armor

So you rather they NOT implement these fixes till they address the issues YOU stated NEED to be fixed?
    Options
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grizzbi wrote: »
    Interesting. thanks for the update.

- I like the poison arrow change: overall, all the dots need more love (duration, amount, stacking mechanics etc..)

- Medium armor Wind walker passive: 3% would have been better..maybe..We'll see.

- Two handed: uppercuts changes are interesting. More burst damage.. In line with people expectations..

Do you have plan to change the overall stamina mechanics? soft caps, attributes bonus, weapon damage scaling/increase?

Wind Walker COULD be 2/4 % ON TOP of the 20% you get from weapons
    Options
  • Tiberius_
    Tiberius_
    ✭✭✭

Yes... fantastic idea! Just increase the effect that stamina pool size has on damage, and that will make stamina much more desirable.
    Options
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes... fantastic idea! Just increase the effect that stamina pool size has on damage, and that will make stamina much more desirable.

ACTUALLY it would be nice if points into Magicka/Stamina/Health game more of a boon for putting points into the pool, like points in Stamina increasing Weapon Damage(if it does I have NO idea).

A person with 50 points in Stamina SHOULD be different than a person with 50 points in Health and slots Stamina enchantments.
    Edited by Shaun98ca2 on June 20, 2014 6:54PM
    Options
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raise Armor caps so that heavy is not punished for making blue armor....

Raise Armor 10% it should give more then Leather lol....

Heavy needs blocking increased to 30 at the min..... Blocking and taunting is crazy with more then 3 mobs are on you... taunt damage can be reduced to make this more fair....

Scrap health reduction or do something with it ... its next to worthless.... I would rather have bonus health with the health cap increased again ...Maybe a bonus to healing ..... Maybe a smaller endo regen or something

Change Immovable so that you have to have 2-5 pieces of heavy armor on....

On medium I think it is fine maybe a 10% damage bonus thrown in there also... keep in mind these guys are going to be weak to magic damage....

PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
    Options
  • Cogo
    Cogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Medium Armor

Thanks a lot for the update Jessica! A lot of us are really happy about the communication with us. :)

As a DK, heavy tank, who uses 2 pieces of medium armor, for just this stamina ability. Please do not increase it more. It works, even at Vet levels.
    We tanks, just need to control our stamina use, instead of being used to always have it.

I can not speak for any other build, then my tanking role.

That said, there might be worth too look at as a general skill for all kinds of builds. This I have no opinion of.

Medium armor stamina skills work fine for tanks.

With food buffs, gear traits, enchants, mondus stone effects and potions. Stamina for tanks, even at vet level works great. The "Fix" is learning stamina control.
    Edited by Cogo on June 20, 2014 6:57PM
    Oghur Hatemachine, Guild leader of The Nephilim - EU Megaserver
    Orc Weapon Specialist and Warchief of the Ebonheart Pact - Trueflame Cyrodiil War Campaign
    Guildsite: The Nephilim

"I don't agree with what you are saying, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"
    -Voltaire

"My build? Improvise, overcome and adapt!"
    Options
  • Cogo
    Cogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Pretty disappointed to see nothing for Heavy Armour in the first announcement.
    I guess I'll wait longer. :(

Some nice little tweaks though, keep looking into it.

I am curious.

For heavy tanks, there is NO problem with heavy armor.

This is a serious and nice question, so please take it as such.

What is the problem about heavy armor for other builds then Tanks?
    Oghur Hatemachine, Guild leader of The Nephilim - EU Megaserver
    Orc Weapon Specialist and Warchief of the Ebonheart Pact - Trueflame Cyrodiil War Campaign
    Guildsite: The Nephilim

"I don't agree with what you are saying, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"
    -Voltaire

"My build? Improvise, overcome and adapt!"
    Options
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »

Medium Armor

Didn't you already quit seven times over? This is just their first set of ideas as stated in the OP.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Rude and Insulting comments]

Name one post where I said I quit. Hope you got a 3 day ban with your moderation
    Options
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »

Medium Armor

So you rather they NOT implement these fixes till they address the issues YOU stated NEED to be fixed?

Id rather they include fixes to 1h and S (which is broke beyond broke to nerfs) and to heavy armor which is atm completely worthless. Basically all they are doing is showing love to medium armor builds. ZOS hates tanking.
    Options