Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Performance (FPS) Issues Hotfix

• pmn100b16_ESO
    pmn100b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fps seems to drop over time. Logged in and immediately went to big keep battle, got inside the keep walls with lots of effects/players and I was getting 25-30 fps. Continued playing for 30-45 minutes and the same big keep battles started giving me 14-20 fps. Just getting close to the keeps causes the drops and there was no way I was getting 30fps again. Maybe a relog would have sorted it but didn't have time to check.

Also, I play on a laptop so know when my gfx card is being taxed cause the fans spin like crazy around 60 degrees. Fans didn't spin up once, so isn't a graphical issue on my end as far as I can tell.
    Edited by pmn100b16_ESO on 8 July 2014 18:14
  • Sangeet
    Sangeet
    ✭✭✭
    The situation improved a bit, but is noways fixed, before the patch, i had 45 fps in large fights, now its from 5 up to 15
  • Sangeet
    Sangeet
    ✭✭✭
    My question is: Have you considered this issue fixed? Because it's clearly not. I should have 45 -60 fps in big fights (as I once did) and right now I drop to 12-20.

I dont think its fixed really, its better than 5 FPS, but there is still an issue.
  • ItsRejectz
    ItsRejectz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My FPS issue are kinda fixed. Dropping from 90 to 20 in big groups, where as recently it went as low as 4fps.
    But, it's still not as good as pre 1.2.3 where I never went below 40fps even in big groups.

So I'm happy it's been partially fixed for me, can't wait for it to be back to 100%
    Xbox EU - GT: o69 Woody 69o

VR16 Sorc: Vlad V Impaler
    VR16 Sorc: Yes it's Woody
    VR16 NB: Prince of Wallachia
    VR16 Templar: Sir Lancelot the Brave
    VR16 DK: I'm Better Than You

• ImBatman
    ImBatman
    ✭✭✭
    The main point is Zenimax DEFINITELY bought themselves some time with this patch. I'd say the reason people are seeing lower fps than pre-1.2.3 in battles is because the new lighting system may be more demanding on your computer. Maybe Zeni could add a toggle for the new effects or try and optimize it.
  • monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is still FPS issues, just not as bad as before (5 fps).

FPS still drops over time the longer you play...

This hotfix bought some time, but it did NOT fix the FPS dropping over time.

Cyrodiil is still a mess if you play for longer than 15-30 minutes, as 15-20 fps is not good enough when the normal fps in the same fights are 35-40
    Edited by monkeymystic on 8 July 2014 19:10
  • ImBatman
    ImBatman
    ✭✭✭
    There is still FPS issues, just not as bad as before (5 fps).

FPS still drops over time the longer you play...

This hotfix bought some time, but it did NOT fix the FPS dropping over time.

Cyrodiil is still a mess if you play for longer than 15-30 minutes, as 15-20 fps is not good enough when the normal fps in the same fights are 35-40

I played for hours after the hotfix last night and had no gradual drop on fps. 20fps in huge battles which I know are taxing on my system. But it always rebounded to my starting fps, which sits around 35-40.
  • Morticielle
    Morticielle
    ✭✭✭
    As I said in another thread, the fps drops are gone. But I encountered mass disconnects (3 times of which 1 had an rollback of about 15 min) and later on massive abilitiy lags which made playing very hard (still fps were good). I'am not amused. :(
    Lady Morticielle d'Aragòn |VR12| Sorcerer | PvP Rank 21 (Major Grade I) | EU-Megaserver | AD

Subscription cancelled due to the following facts:

- Zenimax implements more bugs from patch to patch
    - Zenimax does not care about the increasing instability of the game. People have more and more crashes Fix of memory bug decreased number of crashes considerably
    - Zenimax has still not fully fixed the fps drops they (!) implemented with patch1.2.3
    - Zenimax does nothing to fix the massive ability lags in PvP
    - Zenimax gives more attention to unnecassary 'content' like dyes for armors than fixing issues
    - In patchnotes Zenimax lies about bugs allegedly fixed
    - Zenimax has no plan as to how balance population in Cyrodiil campaigns
    - Support is ineffective and does not even speak in a way one can linguistically understand

• GTech_1
    GTech_1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like it may be time to look at addon based com traffic.
    "Other" MMOs (which shall not be named) had to forcibly limit addon based Player-to-Player com traffic to control client latency. This sounds like a prime target to me.
  • Horrum
    Horrum
    ✭✭✭
    PVE: Before the patch I was running 55-60 fps and post patch 25-45. It was horrible! :'( I tried the tweaks mentioned on the forums and nothing worked.

I then tried to remember if I had changed anything on my system today and realised I had downloaded Control Center. As unlikely as this was, I uninstalled it as well as ran a repair on the ESO launcher and am back at 55-60 fps consistently. I don't know whether or not it was the repair that fixed it, or the Control Center that was causing issues, but maybe this will help someone.
  • KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ALOT BETTER, Still I hit 12 FPS in a very large fight for a short period before returning to 25ish slightly lower than pre 1.2.3.
  • Quintal
    Quintal
    ✭✭✭
    Great, you have my sub!
    ''Subscription fee means that we will offer players the game we set out to make, and the one that fans want to play. Going with any other model meant that we would have to make sacrifices and changes we weren't willing to make.''
    -Matt Firor
    Nick Konkle no longer part of ZOS
    Maria Aliprando no longer part of ZOS
    Paul Sage no longer part of ZOS
  • lockleedub17_ESO
    lockleedub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Better performance, but still beneath the FPS rates pre 1.2.3.
  • Kaytlin
    Kaytlin
    ✭✭✭
    Frame rate is much better than 1.2.4 etc. but not as good as pre 1.2.3. Many rubberbanding problems, as well as "unknown error" disconnects. Game is at least playable now, which we couldn't say before this latest patch.
    Caytlynne of Skye
    V12 EP Sorceress
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    We at ZOS are constantly looking at ways to enhance security for The Elder Scrolls Online, especially when it comes to combating bots, cheaters, and spammers. We do so in an effort to maintain as fair and high quality a gameplay experience as possible for our players. In a recent round of client security enhancements, we made a change that interacted with some of the client’s gameplay systems in a way we didn’t anticipate. Specifically, this had to do with resource contention (when two or more threads of execution are trying to simultaneously access the same data) that could occur when performing certain security checks from multiple threads at the same time. Certain high-load combat scenarios are where you were most likely to encounter the issue.

Today’s hotfix included performance enhancements to these security measures that made improvements in average frames-per-second as well as frame-time stability. We will continue to monitor how these and other security enhancements effect performance, and will continue to make improvements.

Thanks for your patience and support as we work toward making The Elder Scroll Online the best game it can be!
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • DemonNinja
    DemonNinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    We at ZOS are constantly looking at ways to enhance security for The Elder Scrolls Online, especially when it comes to combating bots, cheaters, and spammers. We do so in an effort to maintain as fair and high quality a gameplay experience as possible for our players. In a recent round of client security enhancements, we made a change that interacted with some of the client’s gameplay systems in a way we didn’t anticipate. Specifically, this had to do with resource contention (when two or more threads of execution are trying to simultaneously access the same data) that could occur when performing certain security checks from multiple threads at the same time. Certain high-load combat scenarios are where you were most likely to encounter the issue.

Today’s hotfix included performance enhancements to these security measures that made improvements in average frames-per-second as well as frame-time stability. We will continue to monitor how these and other security enhancements effect performance, and will continue to make improvements.

Thanks for your patience and support as we work toward making The Elder Scroll Online the best game it can be!

Now that's the level of communication we should be getting ALL the time. Thanks for the update!
    @DemonNinja
    Aerilon Starsider - Best Sorcerer NA
    World Record Trial Team Member & Game Breaker of Days Past
  • UPrime
    UPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was CPU limited after all, good job ZOS and community.
  • Cyanhide
    Cyanhide
    ✭✭✭

Nice response, I am wondering though, now that you have identified the problem can we expect an improved version of this in the next patch? I mean I hear most people say it's a lot better, but still not the way it was. Pre-patch I mean.

• fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about for once telling us what caused it and why it only appeared in 1.2.3 and why since it was so localised to that patch it took so long for the cause to be identified?
    <The explanation I was hoping you might provide>
    Thank you, that's a great reply explaining what happened and why it suddenly appeared in 1.2.3.

Please let this be how you communicate going forward, if ZOS were more open as to the problems the game has and how you deal with them a lot of animosity would not happen I think.

Thank you.

• ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Cyanhide wrote: »
    Nice response, I am wondering though, now that you have identified the problem can we expect an improved version of this in the next patch? I mean I hear most people say it's a lot better, but still not the way it was. Pre-patch I mean.

We'll continue to work on performance improvements, yes. This certainly isn't the end of those efforts, and we're looking at other possible impacting factors beyond the specific one we called out as well. We can't promise improvements for everyone, but we can promise we'll continue to work on making ESO run more smoothly.

Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Cyanhide
    Cyanhide
    ✭✭✭
    Nice nice, ty for answering my question!
    Edited by Cyanhide on 8 July 2014 21:31
  • AdamBourke
    AdamBourke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was CPU limited after all, good job ZOS and community.

I don't think so, more of a timing issue. If it's limited by anything, it will be the bandwidth between the processor and the physical memory.

Basically, when two things want to use the same bit of data, you can't let them do it at the same time. Otherwise it can cause consistency errors, if one of them changes the data, does the other one get the old data, the new data, of a bit of both? So you have to stop one of the things trying to get the data, until the other one has finished.

I suspect what zenimax online did to fix the issue, was to tell the security bit to only access the data when it wasn't being used by the main game, or even not at all - perhaps by keeping a seperate copy of the data elsewhere that didn't affect things.

The bandwidth thing comes in because if you can access the memory faster, the other process doesn't have to wait as long for you to finish!

EDIT: I just wanted to add, that I'm really glad ZO decided to tell us this information!
    Edited by AdamBourke on 8 July 2014 21:33
    PS4 - EU

Please put the Eyevea/EarthForge wayshrines back on the map?
  • GTech_1
    GTech_1
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌

Miss Jessica,
    Thank you very much for the confirmation.
    If the information I provided on the GPU 'wait' was of assistance in finding the issue, I would simply say:
    You're welcome, glad to be of assistance. :)

By the way, the security measures you folks have instituted seem to have been highly successful. I seriously can't remember the last time I saw a bot or spammer.
    Well done.
  • kiralia
    kiralia
    My guild leader claims that if you use the launcher to uninstall the game, delete all left over eso things and then go to the website and redownload the launcher and do a completely clean reinstall that its a miracle cure. Some other guildies tried it at his suggestion and are claiming it to be true. I myself have not gotten around to trying it yet but perhaps some of you with extreme problems remaining might like to try it.
  • butterfly442
    butterfly442
    ✭✭✭
    Fixed would be..

Enter combat and it goes down.

Leave combat and it goes back to 60 fps.

It does not go back up.

But good job doing something. It only took 47 dog years to accomplish.

You guys are horrible at coding.
  • MrBeatDown
    MrBeatDown
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Hotfix made It at least 93% better than it was. Thanks a lot. I can play PvP again. I still think we should get like at least a free week for this. It was very horrible up until now. I can deal with these frames much better.
  • Sangeet
    Sangeet
    ✭✭✭
    Why not rollback ? FPS was very good before 1.2.3
  • pmn100b16_ESO
    pmn100b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fixed would be..

Enter combat and it goes down.

Leave combat and it goes back to 60 fps.

It does not go back up.

But good job doing something. It only took 47 dog years to accomplish.

You guys are horrible at coding.

Yeah I get the same, log into cryodiil, 60 fps (sync to refresh) at a keep spawn point. Play for 30-45 mins, spawn at same keep, 45ish fps. It never returns to 60 fps.

And this influences fps across the map. Keep battles will go from 30 fps to 15 fps. Bridge battles will go from 55 fps to 30 fps.
    Edited by pmn100b16_ESO on 8 July 2014 22:15
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This fixed it for me, for good it seems. FPS don't die miserably in large battles, and it goes back up to normal once all the players/effects are off the screen like before 1.2.3.

I should add... for now :no_mouth:
    Edited by demonlkojipub19_ESO on 8 July 2014 22:33
  • Lunawarlu
    Lunawarlu
    Soul Shriven
    I am still having fps drops in cyrodill, once I begin a battle with large groups involved, or when I break cc effects, then it drops to 4fps until I totally log out and restart the client. This is very enraging when it is in the middle of battle.
This discussion has been closed.