The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

New Performance (FPS) Issues Hotfix

• alkoriak
    alkoriak
    ✭✭✭
    A good example of fps drop is when I start the game, my character in the bank of Wayrest, the fps is betweem 20 and 35 and stabilizes there unless I go to character screen or speak with NpC, then it drops quiclky. As soon as I go outside the bank the fps drops to +-10 and even lower and stays at +-10. This is with all addons (5) deleted. It still says version 1.2.4 though, still no response if it's normal or not...
  • Komma
    Komma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They did respond about that. It will read correctly in 1.2.6 on Monday.
    Kohma Kozzy-cr160-Stamblade
    Komma-cr160-Magicblade
    Komma the Great-cr160-Stam DK
    Kommah-cr160-Mag DK
    Komma Kozzy-cr160-Mag Templar
    Kommuh Kozzy-cr160-Stam Templar
    Komma the White-cr160-Mag Sorc
    The Tazmanian Devil-cr160-Stamsorc
    OTG
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Following the hotfix, my performance has improved significantly, but I have noticed some spots in specific PVE areas where my frame rate drops down and there is s sort of stutter or lag.

For example, in Darkshade Caverns and Cliffs of Failure, there are specific spots where my frame rate drops every time. Sometimes I need to relog to fix the frame rate, but when I come back to that same spot it drops again. I have been using /bug in-game to report these.
  • LrdRahvin
    LrdRahvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Eivar_ wrote: »
    you'd be wearing your armor backwards and your magicka potion would decrease your health.

^ Coming soon to an ESO patch near you!!!

Relive all the thrills and chills of this epic movie series (Now, How the Hell Does This Work Again? and it's sequels I Have No Idea What's Wrong, Do You? and I Think The Duct Tape Goes There)

:'(
    Edited by LrdRahvin on 9 July 2014 17:11
  • Alysta
    Alysta
    ✭✭
    I started having FPS issues (unrelated to PvP) immediately after the Craglorn patch (when they also introduced true fullscreen). Prior to that patch, as well as in beta, I had no framerate issues at all playing at High settings. I believe I noticed significantly sharper textures as well, but my framerate dropped considerably. I used to get 30+ FPS outdoors and 50-60 indoors, but since Craglorn those numbers have dropped by about half. No spikes or hiccups or anything, just a steadily low FPS. I had to lower my settings by a lot, and the game looks "muddier" as a result, and even at significantly lower settings I still don't see the FPS I did prior to 1.1.

I had hoped this would fix the issue, but it hasn't. This isn't game-breaking for me, just frustrating. The game used to look and run so nice. I know I am not the only one to experience this.
  • jambam817_ESO
    jambam817_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the anomalous FPS issues I had after the patch have been resolved, even tested it out in crafting areas in populated cities. I can maintain 50+ FPS and it eventually evens out to 60 if i stand in one spot for a few seconds. This is of course in crowded city crafting areas. before it would hang out in the 40s and stay there (after the last big patch of course.)

No longer get 40s FPS in interiors, steady 60 now as it should be. Same thing in Delves and Dungeons, prior i was seeing 40ish interior FPS in certain instanced areas, that has been resolved now.

PVE areas no longer suffer random drops from 60 to 40s. Pretty stable 60 all through my travels last night.

PVP I haven't tried more than once a few months ago. I don't expect that to be perfect though, CPU Draw Calls will always limit GPU functions in these types of games, huge PVP does this in every game I've played. GW2 still has crap performance in WvWvW unless you turn Player Character Detail to Low and Draw Distance to Low...

i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz
    GTX 780 SC
    16 gigs RAM
    SoundBlaster Fatlity 3D Recon Sound card
    crappy hard drives :)

Edited by jambam817_ESO on 9 July 2014 18:22
  • adino
    adino
    ✭✭
    Alysta wrote: »
    I started having FPS issues (unrelated to PvP) immediately after the Craglorn patch (when they also introduced true fullscreen). Prior to that patch, as well as in beta, I had no framerate issues at all playing at High settings. I believe I noticed significantly sharper textures as well, but my framerate dropped considerably. I used to get 30+ FPS outdoors and 50-60 indoors, but since Craglorn those numbers have dropped by about half. No spikes or hiccups or anything, just a steadily low FPS. I had to lower my settings by a lot, and the game looks "muddier" as a result, and even at significantly lower settings I still don't see the FPS I did prior to 1.1.

I had hoped this would fix the issue, but it hasn't. This isn't game-breaking for me, just frustrating. The game used to look and run so nice. I know I am not the only one to experience this.

I am having the same the issue. I don't know about the current hotfix (cancelled sub and plan to wait a month). I played the game on two machines. One high end the other a middle of the road laptop with a decent graphics card. The desktop I was able to run it on high and only had issues in cryodiil (before hotfix 1.2.5). Laptop everywhere. After talking to my friend he said he thinks my laptop is no longer a viable machine for the game after the 1.2.3 patch. Not even on lowest settings with everything turned off. I will check it in a month but that is his best guess and he is a "game designer" MA degree graduate so take that for it is worth.
  • Olgapeterson
    Although the hotfix made the game playable, it is far from fixed, as many have said.
    Before the hotfix, I was getting 1-3 fps. Now I'm getting 7-10fps. Although playable, it is not very enjoyable.
    I understand Zen is making "ongoing progressive" fixes, what we would like to know is how you plan (and you better) to reimburse your playing community for the time lost being unable to play and yet still paid the sub. Curious to know...
    Thank you nonetheless that the game is now playable, Zen. But please don't take your sweet time to actually fully fix it to where it was before patch 1.2.4.
    Yours truly,
    vyxin
    It's not the fall that take your breath away...it's the sudden stop at the bottom
  • Kaytlin
    Kaytlin
    ✭✭✭
    NO THE PROBLEMS ARE NOT FIXED!

The FPS issue is lessened, but it is not fixed. I run a high end I7 processor with a GTX-650 graphics card and 8GBYTEs of memory. The game continually crashes now, either it just freezes and you are greeted with an "Unknown error caused ESO to stop", or it crashes to a report screen. This happens only in AVA when large groups of people are present.

The game is NOT FIXED!

Hire a programmer who can actually fix the game. Even one programmer who knows what he or she is doing.

Being on fixed income it is not easy to justify paying $15.00 a month for a game that is UNPLAYABLE!

Caytlynne of Skye
    V12 EP Sorceress
  • WebBull
    WebBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

FPS fixed for me. Spent over 3 hours last night in Cyrodiil on Wabba in major battles. No FPS issue, no lag issues.......still a few skill not working issues.....but very happy with the hotfix.

• Bigpapa1278
    Bigpapa1278
    ✭✭
    Is anyone else still crashing every ten minutes in cyrodiil, it worked fine last night but now im crashing constantly, any suggestions?
    EP NA

Reign Supreme I VR16 Dragon Knight
    You So Salty I VR16 Night blade

Member of Haxus
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully we will defeat the dreaded Jygga-lag. :-)
    I don't comment here often but when I do, I get [snip]
  • PF1901
    PF1901
    ✭✭✭
    Kaytlin wrote: »

The FPS issue is lessened, but it is not fixed. I run a high end I7 processor with a GTX-650 graphics card and 8GBYTEs of memory. The game continually crashes now, either it just freezes and you are greeted with an "Unknown error caused ESO to stop", or it crashes to a report screen. This happens only in AVA when large groups of people are present.

The game is NOT FIXED!

Hire a programmer who can actually fix the game. Even one programmer who knows what he or she is doing.

Being on fixed income it is not easy to justify paying $15.00 a month for a game that is UNPLAYABLE!

Caytlynne of Skye
    V12 EP Sorceress

I agree - it's better but:
    (was stupid enough to start a new thread, hopefully it gets closed - so I just post what I wrote there):

"Creating this because I'd be interested to read people's opinion on this.

Was entering cyrodill this evening - auriel's bow eu, pretty big queue, so a lot of people it seems.
    Went to arrius keep which was still being fought over when i was on my way and then taken over by the enemy just when I arrived. I therefore assume lots of people around. When I was approaching the keep in stealth I noticed my fps dropping to 20-25 from a 90, although no folks were being on the screen at this moment. I was still able to enter the keep upon which I see two enemies on the screen, fps still being 20-25. Was then killed, rezzed at spawn, fps being back to good again.

Now it just happened again when approaching another keep - not really much of people on the screen but fps dropping again to about 25 (again assuming lots of people fighting there). Found it kind of odd. Tried to relog to see if fps would be back to normal after relogging, but failed to see the result because I ended up in glenumbra after the relog (?).

So while the fps issue surely has improved I still judge it to be a bit odd. I'll keep an eye on it and currently can't really say I experienced the same issue yesterday evening.

Anyway, would be happy to know other people's judgement."
    Edited by PF1901 on 9 July 2014 20:44
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The game is NOT FIXED!

Caytlynne of Skye
    V12 EP Sorceress

I'm on a pension myself. My machine runs the game pretty well flawlessly. My ancient i5 750 gets some clock, 3.2GHz from 2.6GHz, I have some real quick RAM now but that seems to be plenty, and my GTX 780 paints my 30" 2560x1600 display with very few problems. It's nice to get my 55 - 60 FPS with the game almost maxxed back, but even at the worst I could play pretty well.

It's true Cyrodill is sometimes slower but crashes are not what I experience.

"Hire a programmer who can actually fix the game. Even one programmer who knows what he or she is doing."

LOL. Maybe find someone who can have a look at your machine perhaps. The GTX 650 is certainly a bit weak and most of your problem.
    Edited by poodlemasterb16_ESO on 9 July 2014 20:57
  • Razour
    Razour
    ✭✭✭
    We at ZOS are constantly looking at ways to enhance security for The Elder Scrolls Online, especially when it comes to combating bots, cheaters, and spammers. We do so in an effort to maintain as fair and high quality a gameplay experience as possible for our players. In a recent round of client security enhancements, we made a change that interacted with some of the client’s gameplay systems in a way we didn’t anticipate. Specifically, this had to do with resource contention (when two or more threads of execution are trying to simultaneously access the same data) that could occur when performing certain security checks from multiple threads at the same time. Certain high-load combat scenarios are where you were most likely to encounter the issue.

Today’s hotfix included performance enhancements to these security measures that made improvements in average frames-per-second as well as frame-time stability. We will continue to monitor how these and other security enhancements effect performance, and will continue to make improvements.

Thanks for your patience and support as we work toward making The Elder Scroll Online the best game it can be!
    Thank you for the additional explanation - apart from being genuinely interesting it builds trust.
    ╔══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
    αӡѻυг
    ╠══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
    Bosmer Nightblade
    Clothier 50 | Wood Worker 50 | Black Smith 50 | Provisioner 50 | Alchemist 50 | Enchanter 50
    ^^^ Now Recruiting ^^^
    ╚══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The FPS drop over-time are STILL there. It is improved with the hotfix, but in no way fixed.

In large sieges with lots of players on screen (60-100+ players), i usually sit at 30-40 FPS (intel i7 3,8 ghz, GTX 780, 16gb ram, SSD HD etc), but over time, these identical battles will fall down to 17-20 FPS. That is a big drop, and makes the game unplayable.

THIS IS NOT FIXED. It used to be better before 1.2

At one time the game decided to go down to 6 FPS in cyrodiil and restarting the game was the only thing that helped.
    Edited by monkeymystic on 9 July 2014 23:03
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is anyone else still crashing every ten minutes in cyrodiil, it worked fine last night but now im crashing constantly, any suggestions?
    It's crashing every 10 minutes in PvE areas also, ever since the new hotfix.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Kaytlin
    Kaytlin
    ✭✭✭

The game is NOT FIXED!

Caytlynne of Skye
    V12 EP Sorceress

I'm on a pension myself. My machine runs the game pretty well flawlessly. My ancient i5 750 gets some clock, 3.2GHz from 2.6GHz, I have some real quick RAM now but that seems to be plenty, and my GTX 780 paints my 30" 2560x1600 display with very few problems. It's nice to get my 55 - 60 FPS with the game almost maxxed back, but even at the worst I could play pretty well.

"Hire a programmer who can actually fix the game. Even one programmer who knows what he or she is doing."

LOL. Maybe find someone who can have a look at your machine perhaps. The GTX 650 is certainly a bit weak and most of your problem.

Poodlemaster
    Rather than jump on the video card you might perhaps wish to consider that perhaps this might not be the problem. The game worked perfectly well prior to 1.2.3. Let that sink in a minute. I know that may be difficult considering your apparent lack of understanding where the problem truly lies.

Prior to 1.2.3 there were no problems such as this and I was able to run in ultimate mode with my poor GTX 650. I would love to have a GTX 780 but since I have a family to support I cannot justify the such a card when the 650 works just fine for every other game that is out there on the market today. Including ESO prior to patch 1.2.3.

My display is only a mere 1920 x 1280 so again, why would I need to switch to a 780?

Come to think of it you may have indeed hit on the problem, everyone run out and buy the high end video card from either video card vendor. You cannot run AvA in ESO without the high end video card, after all Poodlemaster says that's where the problem lies, and he certainly seems to know what he is talking about!

The game developers stated in the initial release of minimum specifications and recommended configurations components far below my meger computer. And since the game ran flawlessly from the early days of PTS testing until 1.2.3. you might be able to understand my frustration.

Since I worked in the electronics and computer industry during my working career you might wish to consider that maybe, just maybe I might also know just a little bit about computers. I build all of my own machines, repair to the component level including surface mount devices, so yes you are again probably right I might want to look for someone who can look at my machine, just like you looked at it, from the viewpoint of a user/novice!

All of these problems that most of the knowledgeable people have mentioned are as result of software changes implemented in patch 1.2.3. The developers have corrected some of these. I'm certain they will identify other "software related" problems and correct them, eventually. Eventually, however, is too long and people continue to flock away from the game due to the inaction of the development team.

Caytlynne of Sky
    V12 EP Sorceress
    Edited by Kaytlin on 9 July 2014 23:09
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The game is NOT FIXED!

Caytlynne of Skye
    V12 EP Sorceress

Poodlemaster
    Rather than jump on the video card you might perhaps wish to consider that perhaps this might not be the problem. The game worked perfectly well prior to 1.2.3. Let that sink in a minute. I know that may be difficult considering your apparent lack of understanding where the problem truly lies.

Prior to 1.2.3 there were no problems such as this and I was able to run in ultimate mode with my poor GTX 650. I would love to have a GTX 780 but since I have a family to support I cannot justify the such a card when the 650 works just fine for every other game that is out there on the market today. Including ESO prior to patch 1.2.3.

My display is only a mere 1920 x 1280 so again, why would I need to switch to a 780?

Come to think of it you may have indeed hit on the problem, everyone run out and buy the high end video card from either video card vendor. You cannot run AvA in ESO without the high end video card, after all Poodlemaster says that's where the problem lies, and he certainly seems to know what he is talking about!

The game developers stated in the initial release of minimum specifications and recommended configurations components far below my meger computer. And since the game ran flawlessly from the early days of PTS testing until 1.2.3. you might be able to understand my frustration.

Since I worked in the electronics and computer industry during my working career you might wish to consider that maybe, just maybe I might also know just a little bit about computers. I build all of my own machines, repair to the component level including surface mount devices, so yes you are again probably right I might want to look for someone who can look at my machine, just like you looked at it, from the viewpoint of a user/novice!

All of these problems that most of the knowledgeable people have mentioned are as result of software changes implemented in patch 1.2.3. The developers have corrected some of these. I'm certain they will identify other "software related" problems and correct them, eventually. Eventually, however, is too long and people continue to flock away from the game due to the inaction of the development team.

Caytlynne of Sky
    V12 EP Sorceress
    This machine, the 15 750, I built, well, almost 5 years ago. I run Linux usually but windose is where the games are, some 70+ Steam games, that also run pretty well flawlessly.

This game I like so much I am spending money, I don't really have, on making it better. Nice fast RAM, nice card and a killer Korean monitor. The rest of this month gets the $98 I have left on my credit card. I will eat OK ....

If you are running Ultimate with a GTX 650 on a 1920x1080 display then I have nothing more to say. Well one more thing, I don't get these crashes so perhaps my clean boot every time might have something to do with it.
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was actually dumbfounded that playing on wabbajack last night with guildies and my fps didn't drop, Things didn't render properly but my fps didn't drop. Was a huge change from the slide show from before. Still needs a lot of work though.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • sagitter
    sagitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The FPS drop over-time are STILL there. It is improved with the hotfix, but in no way fixed.

In large sieges with lots of players on screen (60-100+ players), i usually sit at 30-40 FPS (intel i7 3,8 ghz, GTX 780, 16gb ram, SSD HD etc), but over time, these identical battles will fall down to 17-20 FPS. That is a big drop, and makes the game unplayable.

At one time the game decided to go down to 6 FPS in cyrodiil and restarting the game was the only thing that helped.

Yes , this is what i've foud, when i started after release, in Cyrodiil fps was still better than this hot-fix. Lot of work must be done anyway to impreove perormance expecially in Cyrodiil, because it's sad to get 20 fps with an high end pc.
  • GuyB88
    GuyB88
    Soul Shriven
    getting 20 fps in all pve areas i dont even play pvp. am i the only one left having this problem in pve ??? if so i need help ive filled out 3 tickets with no help
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I just can't take anyone seriously that has to use CAPITALS or bolded text every single time they post.

Stop shouting buddy, we hear ya loud n clear!
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GuyB88 wrote: »
    getting 20 fps in all pve areas i dont even play pvp. am i the only one left having this problem in pve ??? if so i need help ive filled out 3 tickets with no help
    Same thing is happening to me in vr8 Rivenspire, right in beginning. Freezing every 5 mins. This started right after the last mini patch.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • adino
    adino
    ✭✭
    If you read their explanation of the source of the problem I think for those of you who are still having major issues must come to terms that it is a user (computer) problem. Their new security protocol is asking your cpu to do more. It is (if I understand it correctly) running sort of a background program while you are playing the game. I think this is to try to catch the invisible/speed botters.

It really shows how little we (the forum masses) really know. But then again how could we know, you know?

Anyways, hoping it gets better in a month...
  • PF1901
    PF1901
    ✭✭✭
    adino wrote: »
    If you read their explanation of the source of the problem I think for those of you who are still having major issues must come to terms that it is a user (computer) problem. Their new security protocol is asking your cpu to do more. It is (if I understand it correctly) running sort of a background program while you are playing the game. I think this is to try to catch the invisible/speed botters.

It really shows how little we (the forum masses) really know. But then again how could we know, you know?

Reasoning it must be people's machines is not the way to go.

Not wanting to sound like a show-off, I have a nice powerful rig not older than six month which surely should be able to handle those additional routines (or whatever you want to call it) without stuttering.

What obviously needs to be done is further optimising / tweaking the code involved. The situation has improved but it's not fully fixed. Plain and simple.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running around Coldharbour this morning and everything was going great. Well until I decided to ride my horse in the Hollow City. Once I got from the wayshrine to the crafting tables and stopped, my fps dropped from 60 to 25 and my game started using memory like mad. It used over half a gig of additional memory just sitting there for 15 seconds. It just kept using memory until I logged out and the fps never recovered after getting off my horse and just standing there...ugh...
  • Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    The OP mentions that the primary performance issue is fixed, it does not say all the performance issues are fixed. Other Developer posts say they are still working on things. It is therefore too early to say all problems must be your PC.
  • tino.antoninieb17_ESO
    I

I really dont know much about computers but i dont percieve this as problem on client side. If it is fact that now game asks for better rigs then better rigs today will perform better then those which are not that good. I read on forums that guys with much better rigs can't come close to performance of my rig. If that so than obviously buying better rig is not solution for this issue/s.
    All that what i say may be totally illogical unless u take in consideration that some guys are experiencing problems caused by bugs. Even so if ESO now asks for better performance then ZOS should go out with new minimal system requirements and they havent.
    TIll moment that ESO goes out with new minimal requirements i think u should stop talking about how much your / his rig is over threshold coz threshold is minimal configuration with which u should get decent performance. Basic performance ( fps issue ) is not even connected with your settings coz in lot of situations when u push down settings - u will still have same or similar problems.
    ZOS had and has problems with fixing ESO performance . That is it . Problems after hotfix are lesser but still exist. Till last guy is served with expected performance - ESO has problems.

NOTE : i know it looks nice on the paper when u send message - " i have great rig" - but in this case it will not contribute to solution of problem this thread is dealing with .
  • rotiferuk
    rotiferuk
    ✭✭✭

So how would this cause frame-rate issues? The GPU deals with graphics (or should do) not the CPU. When my frame-rate drops my GPU usage also drops and my CPU usage increases but never maxes out. There is no bottle-neck, my CPU and GPU are in the same performance bracket.

EU Server.
This discussion has been closed.