The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

@name showing - poll

• Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Leogon wrote: »
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Anhedonie wrote: »
    You know, ZOS, people don't like forced stuff, but they really appreciate OPTIONS.
    I don't know of any example where you can control what someone else sees.
    I do, mounts.

And pets, costumes, pet and mount names, helmets, whether or not you're online, offline, busy, away...
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
    Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I clicked yes but I thought the update was gonna show Character names above the players not log in names . I don't want to see log in names . I would like an option to see character names above players heads just so I know what friends are nearby without having to put a cursor over them .
    Options
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your @name already shows when you type inside any guilds guildchat.. whats the big deal?
    :]
    Options
  • Annra
    Annra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Your @name already shows when you type inside any guilds guildchat.. whats the big deal?

I'm not in a guild!
    Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's k. just add hide option
    Elsterchen wrote: »
    Faunter wrote: »
    It has always been possible to find out anyone's account name if you're willing to look. [snip]

[edited for macro]

No, this statement is plain wrong. Ppl only had the possibility to see my account name if I allowed that person in my group or guild.

That statement is completely right.

You can find anyone's account name if you block them. That was always available, you can block anyone and you never had any control over who blocks you.

That's why my issue is not with MY @name showing, but with seeing other people's @name. It's ugly, cluttered and it serves me no purpose. Let me see just character names and titles, please.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
    Options
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Try being on console now you get the same treatment!
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
    Options
  • joker0137
    joker0137
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Its my name, so I don't mind if people know it.

Or would it be better if people just referred to each other as "hey you" or "that guy"?
    Just A White Line Nightmare

PS4 EU server
    Options
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    joker0137 wrote: »
    Its my name, so I don't mind if people know it.

Or would it be better if people just referred to each other as "hey you" or "that guy"?

Same argument as: Its my name and I do mind if people I do not want to know it, know it.

Or they could adress you with: hey [insert appropiate] charactername?[/insert appropiate] (*Duh*)

Or do you like it while you play your DK called "dragonkiller_masterboss-superstar" to be adressed "Peter"?
    Edited by Elsterchen on 28 April 2016 15:52
    Options
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    I don't want people to know my Username unless they are friends.
    Options
  • joker0137
    joker0137
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Most peoples online name is a jumbled mass off letters and numbers that you couldn't say even if you wanted too.

PS4 EU server
    Options
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Daraugh wrote: »
    You know, ZOS, people don't like forced stuff, but they really appreciate OPTIONS.
    I do, mounts.
    And pets, costumes, pet and mount names, helmets, whether or not you're online, offline, busy, away...
    Most of these things are part of the world, not part of the UI, and are therefore stored server-side (offline/busy/away are server markers anyway).

Edit: Hold on, how are you seeing pet and mount names?

Edited by Enodoc on 28 April 2016 16:21
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Gargath wrote: »
    I hope it will solve the situation when I'm organising a dungeon party from guildies I know from their names in chat, then when we are grouped I see in list a completely unknown names and I need to check in guild rooster who is who to even know that I wasn't grouped by accident with some random players :/ .
    Are you really suggesting everyone should live with the fact that their privacy is violated, because you find it easier to organize a PARTY now and then?
    Why "privacy is violated"? This is exaggerating. I'm in 5 guilds now and I do not know their over 2000 members who can see my account name. So what? Should I be feared of these unknown players because some of them may want to do something against me? Seems like conspiracy theory.

PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
    Options
  • theroyalestpythonnub18_ESO
    I voted it's k, but probably just should have said no. What's the reason for doing this in the first place?
    Options
  • Beerbong_Ginn
    Beerbong_Ginn
    ✭✭✭
    I think there should be the option to hide it. I personally don't mind, though.
    Helvius Inebriato - Imperial Dragonknight, Ebonheart Pact
    Belladonna Faleri - Imperial Sorcerer, Aldmeri Dominion
    Drinks-under-tables - Argonian Templar, Daggerfall Covenant
    Koh'rona gra-Beerchugger - Orc Nightblade, Daggerfall Covenant
    The Beerwench - Nord Warden, Ebonheart Pact
    Ican Hazbeer - Khajiit Sorcerer, Ebonheart Pact
    Yukan Hazbeer - Khajiit Nightblade, Ebonheart Pact
    Mama'Emeritus - Dunmer Dragonknight, Ebonheart Pact
    Mama'Meretrix - Dunmer Sorcerer, Ebonheart Pact
    Mama'Ignitus - Dunmer Templar, Ebonheart Pact
    Mama'Obscurus - Dunmer Nightblade, Ebonheart Pact
    Faeliinyth - Bosmer Warden, Ebonheart Pact
    Byress Ginerva - Breton Warden, Ebonheart Pact
    Twitch: www.twitch.tv/beerbong_ginn Twitter: @BeerbongGinn
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    I hope it will solve the situation when I'm organising a dungeon party from guildies I know from their names in chat, then when we are grouped I see in list a completely unknown names and I need to check in guild rooster who is who to even know that I wasn't grouped by accident with some random players :/ .
    Are you really suggesting everyone should live with the fact that their privacy is violated, because you find it easier to organize a PARTY now and then?
    Why "privacy is violated"? This is exaggerating. I'm in 5 guilds now and I do not know their over 2000 members who can see my account name. So what? Should I be feared of these unknown players because some of them may want to do something against me? Seems like conspiracy theory.

Fine for you, and you may post your @name in facebook, twitter and tell everyone you know or meet about it. If you wish you may tatoo this information on your forehead so everyone who sees you knows. While you are at it, tatoo your clearname right next to it, so you never need to introduce yourself again!

Its not about not having the option to show your @name, its only about the fact that some ppl like to know who they share this information with. This choice is not available and having no choice violates my personal right to decide who I share my private information with, hence it violates my privacy.

Edited by Elsterchen on 28 April 2016 21:21
    Options
  • Faunter
    Faunter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It has always been possible to find out anyone's account name if you're willing to look. [snip]

[edited for macro]

No, this statement is plain wrong. Ppl only had the possibility to see my account name if I allowed that person in my group or guild.

I personally didn't like that too, but i still had the choice to not join groups or guilds with ppl i don't know. This choice is no longer available.

I know alot of you think its fine to let everyone know who you are, where you live, what you eat, who you date etc etc etc. That is ok for me, if you wish to share this information so be it.

Why do you feel offended or find it so hard to understand that i like to keep my privacy and share my information with ppl I choose only ? After all its a personal choice, isn't it?

Why is it so hard to understand that I like to keep my characters seperated ? After all its a personal choice, isn't it?

This doesn't mean you should not be allowed to share this information, it just means it should be a personal choice.

The current design, is no personal choice anymore.

@Elsterchen I had originally posted an Add-On function you could write in your in-game chat with the /script command, and it would display anyone's account name if you moused over their character. It is possible to see anyone's account name at any time, and it always has been. A moderator edited the code out, because apparently it is considered a loop-hole macro and it's not supposed to work that way, but it currently does.
    Options
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

[edited for macro]

I personally didn't like that too, but i still had the choice to not join groups or guilds with ppl i don't know. This choice is no longer available.

I know alot of you think its fine to let everyone know who you are, where you live, what you eat, who you date etc etc etc. That is ok for me, if you wish to share this information so be it.

Why do you feel offended or find it so hard to understand that i like to keep my privacy and share my information with ppl I choose only ? After all its a personal choice, isn't it?

Why is it so hard to understand that I like to keep my characters seperated ? After all its a personal choice, isn't it?

This doesn't mean you should not be allowed to share this information, it just means it should be a personal choice.

@Elsterchen I had originally posted an Add-On function you could write in your in-game chat with the /script command, and it would display anyone's account name if you moused over their character. It is possible to see anyone's account name at any time, and it always has been. A moderator edited the code out, because apparently it is considered a loop-hole macro and it's not supposed to work that way, but it currently does.

So should i feel better bc you wrote a macro to violate everyones privacy? Or should I agree that its fine to officially violate everyones privacy bc you did it before?

its not ok, ... and as you said yourself NOT ALLOWED to use.
    Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[edited for macro]

So should i feel better bc you wrote a macro to violate everyones privacy? Or should I agree that its fine to officially violate everyones privacy bc you did it before?

Again, you can see anyone's @name by simply blocking them. You don't need to use any addon, any macro, anything. You don't have to ask permission, and you have no control on who will block you.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:

Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
    Options
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Abeille wrote: »

[edited for macro]

Again, you can see anyone's @name by simply blocking them. You don't need to use any addon, any macro, anything. You don't have to ask permission, and you have no control on who will block you.

... if I choose to make a remark in chat that might happen ... point is: if I CHOOSE to do that... .

Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abeille wrote: »

[edited for macro]

... if I choose to make a remark in chat that might happen ... point is: if I CHOOSE to do that... .

That's not the only way for them to block you. Someone can walk to you, press F to use the interaction wheel and block you. They can see your character's name when you pass by, go to their "ignore list", press E to add a person to the list and type your character's name on the box. They can even just send you a whisper using your character's name after you passed by them, and then right click on that name and click "ignore", even if you didn't reply.

I'm sorry, but you have been playing under the impression that you had any control over who sees your @name. You never had any.

Do I like that? Not at all. But it has always been like that in this game. Our @name was never private.
    Edited by Abeille on 28 April 2016 22:05

Meet my characters:

Options
  • Faunter
    Faunter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

[edited for macro]

Why are you taking this personally? I'm not here to debate your petty privacy concerns. I just made a point saying that the information is already out there, regardless of what you want to feel.
    Options
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    It's not the fact of messaging. It's half of our account login info. It should not be displayed.
    Like gamertags showing on console games? ;)

PC players crack me up, there's no greater risk to security here, the issue is that it will look stupid and there's no justifiable reason to implement this.

Give us what we want Zenimax, don't force feed us things that we will loathe.
    Options
  • joker0137
    joker0137
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    If your that scared of people knowing your name, then stay indoors

PS4 EU server
    Options
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

[edited for macro]

Why are you taking this personally? I'm not here to debate your petty privacy concerns. I just made a point saying that the information is already out there, regardless of what you want to feel.

Why are you making it personal? Fact is, this information is not handed to every player in sight on a silver plate.

Why is it necessary to change that?

Despite loss of immersion, security concerns, its making characternames fairly useless and it also makes some players feel uncomfortable. Why is THAT ok? All of this can easily be avaoidable by opting a choice to it. BUT THIS CHOICE isn't even an option at the moment.
    Options
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

[edited for macro]

Elsterchen I had originally posted an Add-On function you could write in your in-game chat with the /script command, and it would display anyone's account name if you moused over their character. It is possible to see anyone's account name at any time, and it always has been. A moderator edited the code out, because apparently it is considered a loop-hole macro and it's not supposed to work that way, but it currently does.
    @Faunter (@ZOS_CoriJ) Wasn't it essentially just the code that gets the target's account name? As in, the exact same thing that they're implementing in this update, using an API function that is specifically for that purpose? How is that considered a loop-hole macro?
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Daraugh wrote: »
    I do, mounts.
    Most of these things are part of the world, not part of the UI, and are therefore stored server-side (offline/busy/away are server markers anyway).

Edit: Hold on, how are you seeing pet and mount names?

You had asked which things a player has control over displaying to other players. Take an easy one, costumes. I could be wearing light armor, with a medium armor costume in pvp. How is that not hiding information for an advantage? What difference does it make if it's UI or part of the world? And why are people so eager to share and have other people share information with them that they clearly don't want to have on display?
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
    Options
  • Lucius_Aelius
    Lucius_Aelius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm on Xbox and my Gamertag is automatically displayed to everyone in every game I play so this is a strange discussion from my perspective, it's hard for me to imagine playing a game where my name didn't identify me. I even use my Gamertag as my forum name on multiple gaming forums, so again, I don't get why people are so concerned with their privacy, just have a solid password and you're good to go.

That said I don't really think it matters that much either way, and if people really don't want to have their names displayed then I don't see why it's an issue. Let there be an option to just show it or not, and everybody wins. If that's too much trouble for ZOS though then there's countless other things that are infinitely more important for ZOS to be working on, and this should only be made optional if it's relatively quick and easy for ZOS to do.

It's not like people are seeing your actual name, just your gaming name, and if that's really something you're so afraid for people to see then I question why you'd even bother gaming in the first place. It's really a non-issue as far as I'm concerned, and it helps people identify who is who when they play together instead of guessing what name goes with what character name, so that's a welcome change for all those people on PC who had trouble with that and I see no reason not to implement this change just because a few people aren't happy about their gaming name being visible.

I also picked my Gamertag years ago without this game in mind at all, so it was a happy coincidence that my name is so lore-friendly and perfect for this game (forced me to buy the Imperial Edition to make it work but whatever), and it'd be nice to see more lore-based names on other people by seeing their character names, which you can't do at the moment (on Console) without looking through various menus.
    Edited by Lucius_Aelius on 29 April 2016 15:10
    Daggerfall Covenant - Scourge (Xbox NA) - GT: Lucius Aelius - Lord - 648CP
    Lucius Aelius Aurelius - 50 Imperial Dragonknight - Centurion - Stam Tank
    Lucius Aelius Valerius - 50 Imperial Templar - Lieutenant - Mag Heal/DPS
    Lucius Aelius Regulus - 50 Imperial Nightblade - First Sergeant - Stam DPS
    Lucius Aelius Augustus - 50 Imperial Sorcerer - Corporal - Mag DPS
    Wags-His-Tail - 20 Argonian Sorcerer - Recruit - TBD
    Holds-The-Line - 40 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Carries-Extra-Gear - 4 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Guildmaster - Wardens of the Covenant
    Group Leader - xpThe Guildxp
    Trader - Secret Sauce
    Trader - Elite Dungeoneers
    Options
  • vortexman11
    vortexman11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Alot of people are going to require or ask for an @name change if this goes live. People have a tendency to use their real life surnames as their @name and not everyone wants that open to the public, especially in a PvP environment where there are crazy people that toss around personal threats (I don't, but its not uncommon)
    Guild of Shadows ~Elite~
    Învictus ~Council~

EP | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 50 | Former Emperor of Haderus & Chillrend |
    EP | Phobos | Altmer Nightblade | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Cheezus Sliced | Argonian Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 30 |
    EP | Eterno Tempesta | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 33 |
    DC | Vortexman | Dunmer DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 12 |
    DC | Divine Storm | Altmer Sorcerer | LvL 50 | Rank 04 |
    EP | Pocket Vortex | Bosmer Templar | LvL 50 | Rank 24 |
    EP | Vortexman | Redguard DragonKnight | LvL 50 | Rank 28 |
    EP | Fungal Growth | Argonian Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 26 |
    EP | Eternal Guardian | Bosmer Warden | LvL 50 | Rank 13 |
    and a few other random toons

Teaching by example > https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5479085#Comment_5479085
    Options
  • KingDuncanVII
    KingDuncanVII
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Epona222 wrote: »
    It's half of our login information, freely available for anyone to see.

A better option would be to have a login username that was never displayed anywhere, and a player name that could be displayed or not by user choice, without potentially compromising their account security if they did decide to display it.

I don't get it. How is knowing a person knows your username jeopardizing the security of your account? I'm not trying to be an ass, I really want to know. On this forum, I can see everyone's username but, that doesn't mean I can get into their account.

Is account hijacking common on PC or something?
    Edited by KingDuncanVII on 29 April 2016 15:33
    Playstation 4 - North American Server - Aldmeri Dominion - Champion Rank 430
    Magicka Altmer Nightblade | - Champion
    Magicka Regaurd Templar | - Champion
    Stamina Khajiit Nightblade | - Champion
    Options
  • ElderBugOffline
    ElderBugOffline
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    yes ofc
    im bored of ppl with weird symbols in their character names

so i cant whisper or invite them without knowing their @name
    Options