The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Center third person camera, please

• Sev
    Sev
    ✭✭
    Corithna wrote: »
    The manner in which the camera functions has been a mainstay of the entire TES series and isn't likely to change here.

Oh really?
    Both Oblivion and Morrowind had centered camera. Skyrim was the one where they changed it.

I can't claim to have played every elder scrolls game, but Skyrim was definitely the first time I encountered an off-centre camera.

• Venater79
    Venater79
    I'm glad with that 20 years of experience and I hope, You agree with the cancelled account
    Edited by Venater79 on May 19, 2014 7:00AM
  • Monyan
    Monyan
    ✭✭
    If my voice counts I would like to vote against the change. As it's now it's perfect for me.
    Hail Sithis!
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    The biggest problem I find with the current setup is that kiting left is favoured over right.
    It's quite noticeable in PvP that your opponent will almost inevitably move to his left in a fight.

The vertical position is also an issue on sloping terrain where sometimes you can't get the target centred without finding your view obstructed by long grass.
    It would be nice to have a release and lock mode similar to the freelook camera mode.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • jonathanjahnzb14_ESO
    jonathanjahnzb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I fully support this topic. bugs the hell out of me
  • Decadent1
    Decadent1
    Soul Shriven
    There is no reason to have it off center!

No, it doesnt look cool. No, there is no added functionality.

Why just not decide to force every1 play with inverted mouse or some other *** like that?
  • McUsher
    McUsher
    ✭✭
    Why not just decide to give every kid a cooky, if they want to? :stuck_out_tongue:
    Are you still old school or yet unprogressive?
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer to have an option to either center the camera or have it the way it is now, myself. I would actually prefer a centered third person view, but I don't consider it a vitally important issue.
  • Niliu
    Niliu
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with centering the camera in ESO, but I will admit it was a little disconcerting to go back to SWTOR from ESO.
    Gimme back my sweetroll or so help me
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, all. We've moved this post from the Support section to the General Discussion section. Thanks for your continued feedback!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't even noticed there was something 'wrong' with the camera
  • Venater79
    Venater79
    Hey admin! could You do something for the camera, or your power is only for moving the posts? :)
  • Delte
    Delte
    ✭✭✭
    A slider option like they have in Eve Online when you are walking in the captains quarters would solve everyone's problems with the camera. Where it has settings from Left to Right shoulder and the middle setting being directly behind the character.
  • granty2008cyb16_ESO
    please please please bring the centered camera this is a must have i also said this in beta ! @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Edited by granty2008cyb16_ESO on June 16, 2014 3:18PM
    Meh!
  • SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have also been irritated by the forced angle when zoomed in third person. In Socom: Confrontation, they had both and you would change the camera angle in the settings menu. The side angle looks pretty awful on a horse.
  • Maleficus
    Maleficus
    ✭✭✭
    We should have more camera options, wider FOV in both third and first person. Centered or over the shoulder camera angles etc...
  • grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Give us more options over this. I would myself choose the centered view whatever is the zoom level.
  • Venater79
    Venater79
    I already cancelled my subscription because this parrot mode is just simply distracting, and annoying for me... I feel sorry about the game, i miss it, and zeni miss that couple houndreds of other customers as well
  • Lunerdog
    Lunerdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How hard can it be to give people the choice of centered or offset ?

If people could choose for themselves there'd be no complaints, wake up Zen.
  • ebondeath
    ebondeath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play in third person and while I don't mind the camera being off-center during general gameplay, I would like a centered camera option so I can take better screenshots of my characters.
    ╔═════════════⌈Alannah Corvaine⌋══════════════╗
    Rise, rise! To freedom, rise! Arise, ye Breton sons and daughters.
    Ride, ride! To freedom, ride! Truth and glory to the brave!
    ╚═════════════⌊VR 12 Breton NB⌉══════════════╝
  • Venater79
    Venater79
    I know zeni, you could know better what the customer want, but trust me! I will subscribe again only when i can set middle (CLOSE DISTANCE -mention only for idiots ;-) ) camera view :-)
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think this is another example about "Choices"... Give us the choice to play with our pov where we want it, set it and lock it perhaps...

I remember playing Marrowind and getting sick (physically) and having to stop... then it dawned on me it was the 1st person pov, changed that, and all was good.

With the current state of the game, I find in fights that I need to think more about where the cursor is or I swing at the air, being a DW Nightblade, this normally means I become a floor decoration, were I able to choose, I would have mine centered, removing one more excuse I can use for why I died again...
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • rbenkepub19_ESO
    rbenkepub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    They can't center the camera in 3rd person mode. If they did, your character would block the target crosshairs in the center of the screen. Try slowly zooming out from first person mode to full third person mode and note how the camera shifts as you go. It only centers when you're so far out that your character doesn't block the crosshairs.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are three things about this issue that just bug the snot out of me.

1.) Any time I'm anywhere near any sort of obstruction - A wall/tree/tent/tarp/etc, and turn to interact with lootable containers or just look around, - my aspect wildly shifts all over the place from 3rd person to 1st person to near 3rd person and back to over the shoulder. It's a real PITA when trying to get that one little 5 pixel area to interact with on a container to open the damed thing.
    It's ESPECIALLY bad since they shortened the 'reach/grasp' distance because now I HAVE to be right up on top of things to access the 'search/take' menu for stuff, or just not bother.

2.) The viewpoint retical is above my line of sight enough that I can't access the 'search/take' menu until I'm so close to an object on the ground that I have to look down at it, and for sacks that means looking almost at the ground contact area of the sack. When I want to look at the next object I have to pan the whole view around way too much trying to access that small sweetspot on the next object.

3.) The interface is kind of annoying. I don't get motion sickness, I'm used to the viewpoint moving around in computer games, but there's just way too much real estate being gyrated through while I access stuff. It's nuts. A lot of the issue is that any input is a macro maneuver. Any step I take my 'toon walks 3 paces forward. Any time I jump the 'toon bounces off an invisible and huge hitbox interface and deflects sideways.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • Venater79
    Venater79
    They can't center the camera in 3rd person mode. If they did, your character would block the target crosshairs in the center of the screen. Try slowly zooming out from first person mode to full third person mode and note how the camera shifts as you go. It only centers when you're so far out that your character doesn't block the crosshairs.
    Let US decide is that problem for us PLEASE ok????
    Edited by Venater79 on June 17, 2014 9:17PM
  • Maleficus
    Maleficus
    ✭✭✭

Um yes you can, you raise the camera height above the characters head.. It has been done in many games...
  • Komma
    Komma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just so I wont make another post on this subject I will post here....Could one of the mods please at least inquire about this issue. Would love to have the option to stay centered in 3rd person view for many reasons. Is this even something they have looked at? Would like at least a response so we can know how they feel. Or have they said somewhere else and I missed it. Would like an actual quote from a dev please.
    Kohma Kozzy-cr160-Stamblade
    Komma-cr160-Magicblade
    Komma the Great-cr160-Stam DK
    Kommah-cr160-Mag DK
    Komma Kozzy-cr160-Mag Templar
    Kommuh Kozzy-cr160-Stam Templar
    Komma the White-cr160-Mag Sorc
    The Tazmanian Devil-cr160-Stamsorc
    OTG
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Komma wrote: »
    Just so I wont make another post on this subject I will post here....Could one of the mods please at least inquire about this issue. Would love to have the option to stay centered in 3rd person view for many reasons. Is this even something they have looked at? Would like at least a response so we can know how they feel. Or have they said somewhere else and I missed it. Would like an actual quote from a dev please.

Necroing a thread isn't the best way to get a response from a developer.

For those of you who haven't taken a film class: truly centered cameras look awful on widescreen. It weakens the perspective on your character and creates an aesthetically jarring look. Placing the character slightly off-center balances the screen and gives your character a stronger position.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Komma
    Komma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkfall is centered along with most if not all games I have played. If Aventurine can do it anyone can~

Also they frown on 100 post on the same topic. I would rather post in the relevant post than make my own chest beating one. I am not looking for a dev response. Hoping for a mod response.
    Kohma Kozzy-cr160-Stamblade
    Komma-cr160-Magicblade
    Komma the Great-cr160-Stam DK
    Kommah-cr160-Mag DK
    Komma Kozzy-cr160-Mag Templar
    Kommuh Kozzy-cr160-Stam Templar
    Komma the White-cr160-Mag Sorc
    The Tazmanian Devil-cr160-Stamsorc
    OTG
  • Troponin
    Troponin
    ✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    What? Just zoom out all the way to get the full view.. Mouse wheel scroll?
    Because zooming the camera into trees i a forested area is a great way to play.

Hmmmm.

I agree, this is an oft-asked for change which Zenimax resolutely refused to accept back in beta, I don't see it happening now.

Yes!! You have to zoom in sometimes to get passed tree canopies and it's annoying that you're off centered when you do.