The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Center third person camera, please

Alisu
Alisu
✭✭
Please give us an option for center camera. In Skyrim it was possible to fix this obvious design flaw but this time, alas, no ini file to tweak with (for a reason, of course). I also know the sideways camera works for some, good for them, I'm not saying they should be taken that away from.

It's just that what works for one doesn't work for all, I get neck ache having to keep my head tilted to a side (yes, how else would I see both sides of my character since the mobs don't politely arriwe only from the right side of the screen) and some people get nausea from the camera movement.

You will argue that I could play in first person, that's actually what I do, and enjoy doing. The gameworld looks way better this way anyway (my personal view) BUT, the game forces me out of it every time I ride, swim, fish or any way there is an animation it wants to show me. The animations are nice, too, by the way, but from the maxed out zoom (the only way to get the character on the middle to not hurt my head) the visual effect is small. So, if center camera is impossibility, give us first person riding, swimming etc. Just, not the forced jump on the side on one wrong step to deep water as it is now. And my horse stays in stable.

If the sideways camera is for percieved advance in visibility in front of character fine, keep it as an option but, please, give us the option for center third person camera too. The game would look way more stunning that way.
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What? Just zoom out all the way to get the full view.. Mouse wheel scroll?
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • Alisu
    Alisu
    ✭✭
    That is indeed an option (which I did refer in my original post, actually) but it comes with some practical troubles.

First is the, well, zomm level. Not surprisinly, the totally zoomed out view also means the view is, well, totally zoomed out. So it's like taking away the front seat of a car and giving option to either drive, while the steering wheel is in the original place, from the other front seat, or from backseat. That might be poor example but it pretty much sums how the view options feel.

Second, is the act of mouse zooming itself. At least with my mouse, the zooming as far as possible takes many mouse wheel ticks, more than one brush of the wheel. So I have to move the wheel frantically, every freaking time the game decides to jump out of the first person view

Third is, even if I can do the mouse zooming, while i takes time, the harm has already happened, the disorienting "jump the camera who knows where when you accidentally step into a deep water". If this happens in midfight first I have to realise why my view suddenly went awry, then use time to wheel back, then try to figure what's happening to the fight.

The game is really pretty, and I enjoy the first person view which they have actually made working in this game. But the camera behaving unintuitively breaks the immersion every freaking time it jumps out from the first person view.
  • Shanna
    Shanna
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed the same. I tend to keep myself zoomed all the way out to avoid the problem, but an option to be closer in, and still centered, would be nice.
    This is all part of the game.
  • Seroczynski
    Seroczynski
    ✭✭✭
    This is not a design flaw. It has been used in many other games and some might even prefer it over the traditional center-view.
    “To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.” ― Homer J. Simpson
  • havredave
    havredave
    Soul Shriven
    This is not a design flaw. It has been used in many other games and some might even prefer it over the traditional center-view.

Yes, some might prefer it. Some might not. Having the option of adjusting it back to center for those who do not is a good idea. It's a small change, and doesn't affect anyone other than the person who set the option.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because zooming the camera into trees i a forested area is a great way to play.

Hmmmm.

I agree, this is an oft-asked for change which Zenimax resolutely refused to accept back in beta, I don't see it happening now.
    Edited by KerinKor on April 15, 2014 12:39PM
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which 'many other' games of this type has it been done in?
  • tdgeddesub17_ESO
    It can be frustrating to me as well. I have to be full zoomed out in order for center-character to be middle of the screen. When I am zoomed in a bit, the crosshairs are not in a natural character center position and sometimes affects my targeting. An option would be nice.
  • Alisu
    Alisu
    ✭✭

As I also stated in first post, I know it works for some and I'm happy they can play the game in the view they like. But something like camera angle should be an option. I'm not saying the view as it's now should be taken away, just give us a way to adjust it to center (and maybe even on the other side, for those who'd find that more natural)
  • Alisu
    Alisu
    ✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    Because zooming the camera into trees i a forested area is a great way to play.

Hmmmm.

I agree, this is an oft-asked for change which Zenimax resolutely refused to accept back in beta, I don't see it happening now.

If they are so intent on not giving it, how about compromising to the other way. Give us first person riding/swimming etc. I wouldn't mind playing the whole game in first person anyway, it's the discrepancy the game forces on me in every time it jumps to the third person side view from otherwise nicely immersive game which grates on my nerves.

I fear this has something to do with Beth giving them set of things they have to do same like in Skyrim to keep the feel similar, without taking into accord that in skyrim those who felt wronged by this design decision were able to easily fix it for themselves.

Why I do call it a design flaw? If design decision of the game makes it cause physical trouble, which could be avoided with fairly simple fix, yes, I think it is a flaw.
  • NorieleMG
    NorieleMG
    ✭✭
    I support this thread, the ability to actually look at your character and take up close screenshots would be really really nice.
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the side view but it would be easy to implement a Left, Right and Centre option and I'm all for choice. so I approve.
  • Big_Bob
    Big_Bob
    ✭✭✭
    One things for sure, having the model to the side makes for bad screenshots of your character
  • Randeth
    Randeth
    I would love the option to turn off the "slide over the right shoulder as I zoom in" setting. I never, ever want that view. Please just let us keep the reticle centered at all zoom levels.

Thanks.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agreed this is driving me nuts, its off center and causing me no end of deaths, and i just cannot play first person, it just feels wrong, i never liked it in morrowind and Skyrim either (first person)..
    KerinKor wrote: »
    Which 'many other' games of this type has it been done in?

Mostly Console Third person shooters... i know right this is an mmorpg..
    Edited by DanteYoda on April 15, 2014 1:49PM
  • Arisen
    Arisen
    ✭✭✭
    I just want to take epic closeups of my toon's face! So please, please add a centered camera feature. xD
  • Venater79
    Venater79
    the game is all about my character for me :) so i want to see her on the center, not an crosshair...if i need crosshair, I'm going for some FPS game, not MMO
  • Petron
    Petron
    Soul Shriven
    Options are good. I really dislike the "over the shoulder" third party camera. Some may like it bout I'd like the option to center... and I'm sure there are some that would prefer looking over the other shoulder.
  • ColeClark
    ColeClark
    I have always played over the shoulder. This style of play gives me vertigo, the game is not fun for me to play this way.
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suffer from motion sickness unless I play fully zoomed out. Mostly this a FOV issue, but the off-centre camera doesn't help either. I'd certainly welcome some more camera options. Choice is always good because what works for Player A might not for Player B, we are all different.
  • ijRoberts
    ijRoberts
    ✭✭✭
    I really didn't like the off centered 3rd person view, either. And supported all the threads for changing it.

These days, I don't even notice it. Guess I got used to it!

However, I would still support an option to have the character centered on the screen.
  • keylargo
    keylargo
    Please offer this option.
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A prefer it centered as well. At least give us the option to do so.
  • socomhdsb16_ESO
    I agree, bump!
  • Delte
    Delte
    ✭✭✭
    I would like the option to have a free camera option where I can centre the camera on my character and pan around it. This would help with screen shots as they stand now the screen shot is always looking skewed due to the character always being on the left of the shot.

What about a addition to the API so moders can make an add on to give us some ability to make cinematic vids by controlling our cameras ?
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see it as well. It would make targeting a bit more intuitive for my playstyle. Nobody should argue against more options!
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • anothername
    Ppl said I would get used to it. Well... I'm not. Lvl 47 and still not liking it. Theres a reason I add mods like center view fix for FO3. The center view option in TESO would be very much appreciated.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Add my vote.

I didn't like camera position in Skyrim and I don't like it here. It's unnatural and cuts off too much of the left view.

Every other 3rd person game is either centered or just slightly off shoulder but not like this.
  • ZIKE
    ZIKE
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been a ran of the traditional third person camera angle, but I've gotten use to how ESO has positioned it. Both options should be available. This in no way changes the balance of the game, so it shouldn't be a problem.

In a couple of the old closed beta's, I noticed they had the traditional third person camera angle and it seemed to work out nicely. However, old school Elder Scroll fans cried about it and you know how the rest of that story goes...
  • KhajiitiLizard
    KhajiitiLizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play in first person (I haven't bothered with pvp yet), I would just like it if the way I'm looking would be the way my character faces (when not in combat). It doesn't affect game play, it just annoys me.