The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO PvP Update [Updated June 2022]

• casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rich wrote:
    it is very, very slow because it requires a lot of, you know, rewriting and reworking of a lot of backend things, but the team's working on it, and hopefully in the near-ish future, we'll be able to talk a little bit more about that and what the plans are.

I take this to be saying "we want to make bigger PVP improvements but we have to fix performance first, and are working on that." Hearing that more, and hearing it directly and not in random interviews that most players won't see, would go a long way to making the PVP community feel like ZOS actually wants us to keep playing.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Kordai
    Kordai
    ✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    Rich wrote:
    it is very, very slow because it requires a lot of, you know, rewriting and reworking of a lot of backend things, but the team's working on it, and hopefully in the near-ish future, we'll be able to talk a little bit more about that and what the plans are.

I take this to be saying "we want to make bigger PVP improvements but we have to fix performance first, and are working on that." Hearing that more, and hearing it directly and not in random interviews that most players won't see, would go a long way to making the PVP community feel like ZOS actually wants us to keep playing.

I mean performance has been, to put it politely, quite bad for quite awhile now. Don't forget that it was bad for a few years before they even started the tests, which were almost 2 years ago. Think most people are way past being comforted by platitudes at this point.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    Rich wrote:

Hearing that more, and hearing it directly and not in random interviews that most players won't see, would go a long way to making the PVP community feel like ZOS actually wants us to keep playing.

Absolutely!

Players are coming to this thread looking for updates. I would've liked to see that answer get cross-posted here by Rich or someone else who would show up on the Dev Tracker so players know there's an update.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    hmmmmm, I'm starting to have that: I've been duped by zos once again kind of feeling :'(

It's almost like this was a PR statement made after something stupid was said on one of the dev's streams that noone had any intention of following through with...
  • Stamicka
    Stamicka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The performance in Cyrodiil this patch is significantly worse than it was last patch. Not only does Blackreach no longer fill, but at 1 bar yellow, 3 bar red, and 1 bar blue, I had serious skill delay. I have never had skill delay with such low populations before. I understand that it could be awhile before we start seeing the improvements mentioned in this post, but worst case scenario I would expect the performance to stay the same while you’re working on this. Instead performance has worsened. What’s going on?
    Edited by Stamicka on April 17, 2022 6:01AM
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mmh "periodic updates" sounds now like "once a year update" 🤔

I'm looking into this thread now and then to see if there is an update but I guess we're playing the waiting game again.

But thank you @VaranisArano for the interview you linked, gives me a little bit of hope that we'll get some kind of update in the near future 👍
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • Feaky
    Feaky
    ✭✭✭
    Come on ZOS. Make due on some of your commitments. Performance is beyond bad. Half of zone chat is filled with people complaining about performance. You go minutes sometimes without being able to cast abilities. Slow bug, crashes, etc.

Please fix this game! Its been years and it only seems to get worse.
  • SechsPistole
    I wonder if the new server and new netcode will be available this year? Or can I safely uninstall the game and look again in 5 years to see if something has changed about the cruel asynchronicity? I've only been waiting 8 years for the game to play well and be on the same level as almost all games today.
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened to the weekend events? What is the status?
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing prevents ZOS coders from rewriting the game code as a separate project the research & development dept.
    The code can then safely be tested on the PTS.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing prevents ZOS coders from rewriting the game code as a separate project the research & development dept.

This should have been branched from the main and been underway for 2 years already.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭

Spaguetti code prevents anything to anybody XD but cant say more since im tired of being banned for just pointing facts. No, dont expect anything serious... Some good artists, some good mods (some very fast lol) and worse leadership and analyst team I never seen in a project. Good luck, I just want my money back for not being able to play the game I bought
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    coletas wrote: »

Spaguetti code prevents anything to anybody XD but cant say more since im tired of being banned for just pointing facts. No, dont expect anything serious... Some good artists, some good mods (some very fast lol) and worse leadership and analyst team I never seen in a project. Good luck, I just want my money back for not being able to play the game I bought

Speaking from long experience you are completely correct.
    The actual question is do the want to unspaghetti it or just cross their fingers. I know what I've had to do to unspaghetti code.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "In the meantime, we’ll consider additional ways to keep Cyrodiil and Battlegrounds interesting and exciting (for example, potentially special rulesets or weekend events)..."

We're going into May now... Surely he did not mean Whitestrake's Mayhem.
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    blktauna wrote: »
    coletas wrote: »

Speaking from long experience you are completely correct.
    The actual question is do the want to unspaghetti it or just cross their fingers. I know what I've had to do to unspaghetti code.

After all this years you know the answer as me. In my country is something like "milking the cow until no more milk". While its profitable and somebody pays a bad milk, not a problem that the marketing team cant solve in the future.

Spaguetti code is only solved firing the (un)resposible people and begin from zero. You cant refactor over a bad architecture. Is faster, more secure, and more timeable to begin from zero... And well... I wouldnt save anything but assets (altought they are pretty deprecated nowadays).

I dont know the contracts with MS, but i doubt it will happen, and I doubt Phil Spencer wants to put their sign in a game developed like this one.

There are extremely good and competent people there (and with a really good musical taste by the way hahaha), like Teffeau... And I doubt people like him is failing. Sorry, but for me, is a leadership problems and people who thinks that MySQL/Maria and python can be great for an mmo like this. MS should know to make a team... Is easy... Take the people that acomplish with quality in the group plans. Fire the ballasts. The fastest, the better.
  • SechsPistole
    It's just embarrassing that you've waited 8 years and still not gotten that ridiculous spaghetti code fixed. Really every game I know meets the basics. ESo is an exception. Most people already cry when they can't play cyrodil, but there are players in the Imperial City and BG that run incredibly asynchronously and are therefore unplayable. What do you think when the spaghetti code gets fixed?
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh man, checked in on the thread when I saw some new posts, thought maybe zos had something for us...

what the fool am i :)
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh yeah, perfectly analogy about milking the cow...
    giphy.gif?cid=790b761132b0c3a873225bca98a66d292f4f767476fa45ec&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
    Edited by geonsocal on May 1, 2022 11:21PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well maybe the upgrades 2 days from now will have the unintended benefit of fixing the lag even though they say it won't), then we can all just go have fun. Here's to wishing!

Edited by Gaeliannas on May 2, 2022 1:39AM
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, it's safe to assume that based on the Bethesda twitch banning of any mention of PvP or Cyrodiil (There is video evidence on youtube.) that this was just a fluff piece.

Activity like that is much akin to the reason this post came about and the damage control was being done in the first place.

Great to see nothing is being done. So glad so many of us spent so much time and money on it.
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, it's safe to assume that based on the Bethesda twitch banning of any mention of PvP or Cyrodiil (There is video evidence on youtube.) that this was just a fluff piece.

Activity like that is much akin to the reason this post came about and the damage control was being done in the first place.

Great to see nothing is being done. So glad so many of us spent so much time and money on it.

In my experience, the replacement of the server hardware today really helped Cyro performance. Many other players have noticed a significant improvement.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only improvement I noticed in pvp was a steadier fps number. Blackreach, primetime.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blktauna wrote: »
    The only improvement I noticed in pvp was a steadier fps number. Blackreach, primetime.

I noticed an increase in responsiveness overall, I got to enjoy fights that would have had 3-4 second delays on every skill before, but now I was able to cast skills on demand, LA weave, ani cancel. It felt great tbh!
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I'm out of the loop. I don't have much time to keep up on things lately. What server hardware replacement are you referring to? Was there a post I missed where ZOS actually communicated with the player base?
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    malistorr wrote: »
    Sorry I'm out of the loop. I don't have much time to keep up on things lately. What server hardware replacement are you referring to? Was there a post I missed where ZOS actually communicated with the player base?

Yes, it’s the post just under this one titled, “PC NA Datacenter Hardware Replacement” lol
    Edited by MentalxHammer on May 4, 2022 4:27PM
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never was out on that main page. I get an email saying there is an update to this thread and a link which takes me immediately into this post where I don't see all the others. Ignoring the negativity and moving on... I'm very happy there is progress. I used to be a PC NA player and even though they said this won't help performance, it should mean only good things. I can't believe they were running the game on 10-year old servers! This is coming from the Head Network Administrator of a phone and internet company. I was hired at my current gig and immediately replaced all the servers in my 1st year. All SSD and no more spinning hard drives. Of course we had big performance improvements. I'm wondering why ESO won't. But hey, at least it's progress! I'm Xbox now and looking forward to a hardware refresh there as well. Although based on the comments it sounds like it's months away at best. And it sure would be nice to get an update to the January post explaining progress on the whole "changing the code" thing. They said it could take a year or more. How is progress going and are you actually doing this ZOS?
    Edited by malistorr on May 4, 2022 4:39PM
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible they didn't want to make any statements about possibilities in performance improvement in case there wasn't?

I think by now, many would find it hard to believe that updating 10 year old hardware wouldn't have an impact. Perhaps Matt and co. were playing it safe. Happy accident?

I look forward to when they finally get their hands on the hardware for console. If current reports are true and not a placebo effect, this could be truly amazing and a huge stepping stone for moving in the right direction.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got an email saying that there was an update (post) from Matt and I clicked on the link and it's not working. I came here and the post is gone... The only part I can see in the email notification is:

"Hey everyone, we wanted to pop in and let everyone know while we don’t have any substantial changes or updates to share at this time, we’re still here, we see
    Edited by malistorr on May 5, 2022 8:07PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey everyone, we wanted to pop in and let you all know while we don’t have any substantial changes or updates to share at this time, we’re still here, we see your concerns and questions, and wanted to let you know that we are still working on the things we mentioned in January. Thank you all for your patience and we’ll provide a larger update when we have some new information to share, including the previously mentioned weekend events we know you are anxious to hear more about.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    There we are... I'll be the 1st to say that I'm disappointed that there is NOTHING to say 4-months later other than ""we are still working on the new things we mentioned in January". That doesn't cut it. ZOS can and should include more detail than that. What is the estimated amount of time ZOS thinks that the PVP and/or game rewrite will take? When did the work start? Did it start? Is there actually a firm date when you expect the work to be done or is it going to be "We'll fix it when it's done". I'm sorry but I don't care about any new content or weekend events when the base game is so broken. Fix bugs in PVE and PVP and make what you have work correctly. I suppose I should say thanks for the update, but the update literally said nothing. [snip]

Maybe in a year or so I'll check and see if there has been any progress. Make the console hardware refresh top priority other than fixing bugs and fixing PVP performance. Pretty disappointed with ZOS management and their choices. I've been buying ZOS/Bethesda games for decades and this is how your actions (and inaction) have made me feel.

Edit for Bashing.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 6, 2022 3:24AM