Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Master Crafting Writs: Some Questions

• ZOS_PhilipDraven
    ZOS_PhilipDraven
    ✭✭✭
    If we save crafting writ boxes and open them after patch, will they drop these master writs?
    Nope, sorry, no stockpiling.
    Philip Draven
    Lead Systems Designer
    Staff Post
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we save crafting writ boxes and open them after patch, will they drop these master writs?

Ach such a shame. But thank you sir for the clarification.

Khajiit will now spend her days 'cleaning' Wayrest Castle instead of stockpiling crafting writ rewards.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is actually good news, saves me the trouble of having to wait eagerly on patch day to finally open the boxes :)
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tradeskill mastery (which determines your odds of receiving a master writ from a top tier writ reward box) is meant to imply a long-term dedication to the craft. This varies from tradeskill to tradeskill.

For Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking, this means motif knowledge and overall completion of trait research. This does not include Crown-exclusive motifs or motifs for the 9 base player races. It focuses on motifs that take some effort to learn – like Xivkyn, or Minotaur, or Celestial.
    For Provisioning, this is instead your collection of known purple and gold recipes as they are a strong overall representation of dedication to craft.
    With Enchanting, we instead look at the total overall rune word translations you’ve completed on that character.
    And with Alchemy, we look at how many reagents from which you’ve completely learned all effects.

Over time, the contributing factors for this may expand as the associated tradeskill mechanics do.

I call bunk on the alchemy. I got one last night that I have no idea how to make, even after blowing through limited materials and trying to look up possible combinations on Google. Anyone know how to make a Damage Health poison with Gradual Ravage Health, Ravage Health and Ravage Stamina?
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SilentRaven1972,
    I call bunk on the alchemy. I got one last night that I have no idea how to make, even after blowing through limited materials and trying to look up possible combinations on Google. Anyone know how to make a Damage Health poison with Gradual Ravage Health, Ravage Health and Ravage Stamina?

This is already a known issue, from the Update 13 patch notes, "Known Issues" (and I guess we're hoping it will be fixed before release):
    Crafting & Economy
    Master Writs
    • All Master Writs currently award a single voucher when completed instead of the expected amount. To account for this issue, the Master Writ Vendor is currently selling everything for one voucher each.
    • In rare cases, it is possible to receive an Alchemy Master Writ that requires an impossible combination of effects.
    • Alchemy Master Writs that require poisons cannot currently be completed.
    • Sealed Provisioning Master Writs do not indicate all of the items that need to be crafted to complete them. Once accepted, the associated quest correctly lists all of the requirements.
    Edited by Pyr0xyrecuprotite on January 5, 2017 5:05PM
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tradeskill mastery (which determines your odds of receiving a master writ from a top tier writ reward box) is meant to imply a long-term dedication to the craft. This varies from tradeskill to tradeskill.

For Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking, this means motif knowledge and overall completion of trait research. This does not include Crown-exclusive motifs or motifs for the 9 base player races. It focuses on motifs that take some effort to learn – like Xivkyn, or Minotaur, or Celestial.
    For Provisioning, this is instead your collection of known purple and gold recipes as they are a strong overall representation of dedication to craft.
    With Enchanting, we instead look at the total overall rune word translations you’ve completed on that character.
    And with Alchemy, we look at how many reagents from which you’ve completely learned all effects.

Over time, the contributing factors for this may expand as the associated tradeskill mechanics do.

@Bel_Shezzar

I question whether Motif knowledge should be a factor affecting the drop rate of Master Crafting invitations from equipment writs.

IMO the acquisition of Motif pages is more of an indication of dedication to particular types of adventuring rather than any particular dedication to equipment crafting, that is apart from the Glass motif.

My main crafter, who gets first pick of all the Motif pages I acquire in the game, has for example:
    Glass Style 14/14
    Xivkyn Style 0/14
    Minotaur Style 2/14
    Celestial Style 0/14

This shows my dedication to doing craft writs, and acquiring Glass style motif fragments. It also shows that I have not done any of the adventuring activities that drop Xivkyn and Celestial pages, and that I did nearly all of my questing in the Gold Coast before Minotaur motif pages became a quest reward.

I do not buy motif pages from the crown store, and very rarely from guild traders. I am dedicated to enjoying the fruits of my own labours, whether it be adventuring or crafting.

Using Motif knowledge also introduces a pay-to-win element into the equation. I may be wrong, but I think I remember some, if not all, of the three motifs given as examples of those requiring "some effort to learn” being on sale in the crown store when they were first introduced to the game. Minotaur style is obtained from the DB DLC, meaning people who have not paid $$$ to have access to that DLC would be at a disadvantage when it comes to dropping Master Crafting writ invitations.

Furthermore, Motifs have been becoming increasingly irrelevant in the game recently. I’m sure many players have lost any motivation to acquire complete Motifs in the past few months. They’re no longer of much use. For example, nine out of my own ten characters currently use an ill-matched mix of dropped and crafted sets concealed beneath costumes. I sure most people are the same now. The only character I have equipped in one single Motif style is my main crafter, and that’s because it’s just for show. He never does anything but crafting (assiduously, just about every day, for the past 18 months or more).

PC EU
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you get a master writ as a reward from a regular crafting writ, is this something you can bank and complete on a different alt?
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    @SilentRaven1972,

This is already a known issue, from the Update 13 patch notes, "Known Issues" (and I guess we're hoping it will be fixed before release):
    Crafting & Economy
    Master Writs
    • All Master Writs currently award a single voucher when completed instead of the expected amount. To account for this issue, the Master Writ Vendor is currently selling everything for one voucher each.
    • In rare cases, it is possible to receive an Alchemy Master Writ that requires an impossible combination of effects.
    • Alchemy Master Writs that require poisons cannot currently be completed.
    • Sealed Provisioning Master Writs do not indicate all of the items that need to be crafted to complete them. Once accepted, the associated quest correctly lists all of the requirements.

D'oh! And here I've been driving myself totally crazy with this thing! Thanks, now I know I can drop it.
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
  • Immortal_Dark410
    Immortal_Dark410
    ✭✭✭
    If you get a master writ as a reward from a regular crafting writ, is this something you can bank and complete on a different alt?

they did say there trade-able I believe
    Retired Guild Leader Of AMAZING DEALS OF TAMRIEL
    Retired Guild Leader Of AMAZING DEALS OF NIRN
    (ALL FACTION TRADE GUILDS)

PC NA SERVER
    DC - DARKDROGO | ORC | STAM DK | LVL 50 | CP 930
    AD - DARK-GEARLT-OF-RIVIA | ALTMER | MAG SORC | LVL 50 | CP 930
    EP - DARK-ABYSS | DUNMER | MAG TEMP | LVL 50 | CP 930
    DC - REAPERS-CLOACK-OF-YASSASEEN | BRETON | MAG NB | LVL 50 | CP 930
    AD - DARK-SLADE-WILSON | KHAJIIT | STAM NB | LVL 50 | CP 930
    AD - THE-LAST-DRUID-OF-PARANOR | ALTMER | MAG DK | LVL 50 | CP 930
    AD - GALADRIEL-LADY OF LIGHT | IMPERIAL | STAM SORC | LVL 50 | CP 930

CONSOLE PS5 NA SERVER AS WELL
  • ProbablePaul
    ProbablePaul
    ✭✭✭✭

It's usually when someone asks a question like this that they prevent it from happening. Probably not gonna happen.
    Bosmer Melee Magicka Nightblade
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bel_Shezzar

I question whether Motif knowledge should be a factor affecting the drop rate of Master Crafting invitations from equipment writs.

IMO the acquisition of Motif pages is more of an indication of dedication to particular types of adventuring rather than any particular dedication to equipment crafting, that is apart from the Glass motif.

My main crafter, who gets first pick of all the Motif pages I acquire in the game, has for example:
    Glass Style 14/14
    Xivkyn Style 0/14
    Minotaur Style 2/14
    Celestial Style 0/14

This shows my dedication to doing craft writs, and acquiring Glass style motif fragments. It also shows that I have not done any of the adventuring activities that drop Xivkyn and Celestial pages, and that I did nearly all of my questing in the Gold Coast before Minotaur motif pages became a quest reward.

I do not buy motif pages from the crown store, and very rarely from guild traders. I am dedicated to enjoying the fruits of my own labours, whether it be adventuring or crafting.

Using Motif knowledge also introduces a pay-to-win element into the equation. I may be wrong, but I think I remember some, if not all, of the three motifs given as examples of those requiring "some effort to learn” being on sale in the crown store when they were first introduced to the game. Minotaur style is obtained from the DB DLC, meaning people who have not paid $$$ to have access to that DLC would be at a disadvantage when it comes to dropping Master Crafting writ invitations.

Furthermore, Motifs have been becoming increasingly irrelevant in the game recently. I’m sure many players have lost any motivation to acquire complete Motifs in the past few months. They’re no longer of much use. For example, nine out of my own ten characters currently use an ill-matched mix of dropped and crafted sets concealed beneath costumes. I sure most people are the same now. The only character I have equipped in one single Motif style is my main crafter, and that’s because it’s just for show. He never does anything but crafting (assiduously, just about every day, for the past 18 months or more).
    I am inclined to agree with this. Up until now, motifs have been solely cosmetic. Giving them a practical application defeats that purpose. Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking should be based on research, nothing more.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭

@Bel_Shezzar

Glass Style 14/14
    Xivkyn Style 0/14
    Minotaur Style 2/14
    Celestial Style 0/14

You know, its funny. I have spent hunreds of hours on my main character grinding the daylights out of all possible motifs. Usually if there is 1 or 2 pages left and it refuses to drop for weeks, i end up purchasing them from guild stores.

I do not mean to brag, but ALL motifs on my main character have been grinded like hell. Except for Pact and Covernent ones (i traded and sold some Dominion copies and purchased what i needed), i managed to grind all motifs currently ingame except grimharlem and stahlrim (sorry, i do not spend crowns on motifs).

You have no idea, what its like to spend hours and hours and more hours every day doing the same repeatitive quest (for example Abah's Watch motif or Ancient Orc) looking and hoping for drops. Sometimes you get lucky and 2-3 pages drop, and even more luck when you find someone within minutes in zone chat to trade for what you need. Sometimes you get absolutely nothing for days or over a week.

And between you and me, i still use the blue racial motifs, for exampel Imperial Heavy (well ok its not Blue but its been in the game since launch) is still more desireable to me than any of the "exotic" ones, so is Dumner light and medium armous, but thats just me. So basically just for the sake of achievments, since i am a completionist, or at least i consider myself one.
    Edited by ZoM_Head on January 6, 2017 10:21AM
    mDKs still need a lot of love!
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bel_Shezzar

So, if I've all the motif knowledge, all achievements regarding to craft trade, does it guarantee me as master writ drop or at least what are the chances?
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • Arkadius
    Arkadius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Master writs are tradable on PTS.
  • pragreal
    pragreal
    ✭✭

Currently on the PTS this is exactly what is happening. My old, stockpiled boxes are dropping Master Writs just fine. One char had about 65-70 boxes (all gotten before I fired up the PTS, have done no writs yet on the PTS) and ended up with about 4 Master Writs. Is this behaviour only on the PTS or will this be patched before go live?

Pragreal
  • pragreal
    pragreal
    ✭✭

As of now, as long as you don't accept the quest that pops up when you get a Master writ, it goes into your inventory and can then be banked and retrieved by another alt and used like normal. I've not tried trading but the devs have explicitly said that will work and other's have said mailing works as well.
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_PhilipDraven Is it intended for Survey maps to give the new furnishing materials? So far they do not.
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 1900+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1200+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • Grumble_and_Grunt
    Grumble_and_Grunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    baratron wrote: »
    @ZOS_PhilipDraven Is it intended for Survey maps to give the new furnishing materials? So far they do not.

Any confirmation on this? Seems counter intuitive if it's intended that they do not? Especially with the emphasis on rewarding crafters more with Master Crafting Writs etc then removing the possibility to obtain the new furniture related crafting materials from the nodes from surveys.

I hope this is not the case and that this is either a bug or misinformation from @baratron here (no offence :p) would make the lacklustre surveys more lucrative if we could drop the materials, it only makes sense that we should. Otherwise the only means to obtain these mats would be mind numbing farming over and over considering the sheer amount of these mats everyone will get through to craft items for their homes.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_RichLambert
    PC EU
    Fix Powerful Assault
    #3Qbiken
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just picked up a few surveys on PTS, got 1 new material in average from one spot. Seems chances are about the same or a bit better than farming in the world, though too small numbers to rely on them.

• Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Read this. ^ Opened all my saved writ boxes. Then I read this:
    pragreal wrote: »

Currently on the PTS this is exactly what is happening. My old, stockpiled boxes are dropping Master Writs just fine. One char had about 65-70 boxes (all gotten before I fired up the PTS, have done no writs yet on the PTS) and ended up with about 4 Master Writs. Is this behaviour only on the PTS or will this be patched before go live?

Pragreal

Ohh ZOS. This is why I can't trust you. :(

I hope there's a Dev response to this thread.
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any confirmation on this? Seems counter intuitive if it's intended that they do not? Especially with the emphasis on rewarding crafters more with Master Crafting Writs etc then removing the possibility to obtain the new furniture related crafting materials from the nodes from surveys.

I hope this is not the case and that this is either a bug or misinformation from @baratron here (no offence :p) would make the lacklustre surveys more lucrative if we could drop the materials, it only makes sense that we should. Otherwise the only means to obtain these mats would be mind numbing farming over and over considering the sheer amount of these mats everyone will get through to craft items for their homes.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_RichLambert

I haven't had much time to play recently, so my crafting characters on the PTS have something like 8 Consumables Surveys and 15 Materials Surveys. I collected 3 Materials Surveys (iirc 2 Clothier and 1 Woodworking) and obtained only Raw Ancestor Silk, Rubedo Hide Scraps and Raw Ruby Ash. No Bast or... Er, I forget the name of the wood furniture-making material.

Given that the furniture mats seem to drop on average every 3-5 normal nodes, I thought 3 full Surveys was enough. But if you like, I can collect the rest of the Surveys as well.
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 1900+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1200+ CP

Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50

NA-only characters:
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • pragreal
    pragreal
    ✭✭
    Pandorii wrote: »

Read this. ^ Opened all my saved writ boxes. Then I read this:
    pragreal wrote: »

Pragreal

Ohh ZOS. This is why I can't trust you. :(

I hope there's a Dev response to this thread.

As of 2.7.1 the old writ boxes will still drop Master Writs. I would also like to know if this behavior is a bug and will be fixed or if the earlier dev statement was incorrect.

Pragreal
    Edited by pragreal on January 10, 2017 9:38PM
  • TTMighty
    TTMighty
    ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get a bit more granular on this information?

For example, on the trait research, how is the drop rate affected by the known traits? IE: Is it an aggregate count of the number of traits known on the character? Or is it affected by the highest trait count on an item (say having 9/9 on light gloves would be better, worse, the same as having Sturdy researched on 9 items)

Many thanks, in advance
  • Fudly_budly
    Fudly_budly
    ✭✭✭✭
    the balance on PTS is in the rewards that Rolis gives. My "8 perfect roe requiring" provisioning Master Writ got me 5 "rolis bucks" but alchemy and enchanting only got me 2 each. equipment master writs I read got 12 "Rolis bucks" Balance... consumables will require 10x the master writs to buy anything from Rolis. But hey, a crafting table for your home only costs 35 "rolis bucks" so you only need 18 Master crafting writs... Oh, by the way, Some enchanting Master Writs require Hakeijo runestones.
    Rule #1: RL trumps gaming.
    Rule #2: True immersion is RL.
    Rule #3: RL lag is wonderful.
    Rule #4: People matter. Pixels do not.
  • Fudly_budly
    Fudly_budly
    ✭✭✭✭

Given that the furniture mats seem to drop on average every 3-5 normal nodes, I thought 3 full Surveys was enough. But if you like, I can collect the rest of the Surveys as well.

Not even close... my farming test revealed more like 1 in 10-15.
    check it out:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3673742/#Comment_3673742
    Rule #1: RL trumps gaming.
    Rule #2: True immersion is RL.
    Rule #3: RL lag is wonderful.
    Rule #4: People matter. Pixels do not.
  • Grumble_and_Grunt
    Grumble_and_Grunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for getting back to me @baratron, if you could check that'd be great, but no real rush, sure I'll find out myself when EU gets their char copies. @Soella mentioned them dropping from his/her surveys so could have just been poor RNG. Either way I saw your comment and was scratching my head so thought i'd ask :p
    PC EU
    Fix Powerful Assault
    #3Qbiken
  • Annalyse
    Annalyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had any new materials drop from any of the multiple surveys that I have done so far. I was starting to think it was a bug so I'm glad to hear that some people have gotten them, but still upsetting that they drop so little. So far I can safely say that I get a higher drop rate on nirns from surveys than I do on the new materials.
  • Auricle
    Auricle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we can't stockpile the writ boxes (officially), but can we stockpile the survey maps to get the new furnishing crafting materials when the update drops on live?

Also, does anyone else think the crafting costs for some of these writs and furnishings is kind of ridiculous? Gold mats aren't that plentiful in-game. Is there any plan to increase the drop rate on those, or decrease the amount of legendary tempers required for master writs?
    Edited by Auricle on January 11, 2017 11:31PM
  • slpatonrwb17_ESO
    slpatonrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven

A Masterful Glyph - Create an 'epic' glyph of 'Potion of Speed'.... ???

That would be epic...
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for getting back to me @baratron, if you could check that'd be great, but no real rush, sure I'll find out myself when EU gets their char copies. @Soella mentioned them dropping from his/her surveys so could have just been poor RNG. Either way I saw your comment and was scratching my head so thought i'd ask :p

So, it seems to be extremely poor RNG.

6 Alchemy Surveys and 4 Enchanter Surveys gave 13 Alchemical Resin and no Mundane Runes.
    Proof: https://www.twitch.tv/baratrongirl/v/114363662

1 Blacksmithing Survey, 5 Clothier Surveys, 4 Woodworking Surveys, 1 Enchanting Survey gave precisely ONE Furniture crafting item: 1 x Bast
    Proof: https://www.twitch.tv/baratrongirl/v/114362479

Please excuse friends in the background. I don't pretend to be a professional streamer, so you get to hear whoever I'm talking to on Teamspeak or Skype as I play.

NA-only characters: