Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Enchanting... I'm having issues?!

matronicon
matronicon
Soul Shriven
Hey guys ^^

This is my first forum post, yaaaay!

Okay. I need help. What do I do?!

I finally got to the V+ areas and decided that since my smithing has reached lvl 50, it's about time I began working on a new skill. For some reason, unbeknownst to me, I picked Enchanting. What a mistake. I quickly realised I wasn't finding any runes suitable for my level in my new areas, so I took a trip back to the DC, and went hunting in Glenumbra, Stormhaven, Rivenspire etc. I gathered together a few runes I could actually use, and settled down to try and figure this thing out. When I made a glyph, I noticed I would get a good amount of XP the first time I used a new rune and translated it, but after that... pittance! So I took a new direction and went monster bashing to gather up some looted glyphs to extract.. admittedly doing this did give me a little more XP each time, but still nothing spectacular.

I spent the next 8 hours hunting out runes all throughout the DC, and collected quite a good amount, and decided to try trading crafted glyphs with another enchanter to extract, as that seemed to work well in smithing... Oh how wrong was I?! Even though this guy was kind enough to not only make me glyphs out of runes one level higher than I was, he also used Jejota, Denata, and Rekuta to make their quality better than plain base, I only got about a level out of roughly 20 glyphs.

So, I'm now a third of the way into level 14, and I have already translated all of the runes I can up to this level. How am I supposed to level this damn skill if nothing gives you a decent amount of XP?!

A friend of mine has levelled both Alchemy and Provisioning to 50 within about 3 days, because creating potions/ food gives such a large amount of XP, especially when making higher level products. Why is Enchanting giving me next to nothing for all my hard work? Am I missing something major? Is it another bug? I don't understand... *waaahhhh*

I'm getting to the point where I'm contemplating giving up on enchanting altogether and going into provisioning or alchemy instead because this is driving me crazy, but I don't want to give up on it until I've tried every possible route to levelling it!

Sorry for the epic post, that may have been more of a rant than a question :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks in advance!!
  • skeletorz_ESO
    skeletorz_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Enchanting is indeed the longest and hardest grind of all the crafts. So much so that there are guilds built entirely around leveling enchanting. And I happen to be the guildmaster of one of them. Since we have private messages turned back on, if you want to send me one and tell me your account or character name, I'll send you an invite.

Edit: Oh wait... if you play on NA server, anyway.
    Edited by skeletorz_ESO on May 31, 2014 6:48AM
    “If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.” -- René Descartes
  • matronicon
    matronicon
    Soul Shriven
    Enchanting is indeed the longest and hardest grind of all the crafts. So much so that there are guilds built entirely around leveling enchanting. And I happen to be the guildmaster of one of them. Since we have private messages turned back on, if you want to send me one and tell me your account or character name, I'll send you an invite.

Edit: Oh wait... if you play on NA server, anyway.

Damnit! I'm on the EU server :( argh! Thank you anyway :(
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get yourself a gathering addon and start grinding runes.
    At least you are a high enough level that mobs shouldn't be a problem.

I started grinding seriously at VR1 a couple of weeks ago.
    Finally got to the point where I can craft my own glyphs - it was worth it.

There really is no substitute for making glyphs. Grinding glyphs to deconstruct is not an option - whites give almost nothing. If you have a companion you can deconstruct each other's high level glyphs for higher gain. Deconstructing your own is not so profitable.
    Creating glyphs with higher aspect will give you more gain so don't try to save those lovely blue and purple runes.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • Beastnas
    Beastnas
    ✭✭✭
    Enchanting is definitely the most difficult of the professions, but it can be leveled fairly efficiently if you work at it.

For farming a ton of Aspect and Potency runes, I've had a lot of success in the Veteran versions of the faction starter islands. Some great locations are the northwest part of Bleakrock Isle, central Bal Foyen, or north-central of Stros Mkai. Each crafting node is a static location, and respawns after a few minutes. Going in a circuit in one of these places will net you dozens of runes per hour.

I would recommend the HarvestMap addon to help with this: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info57-HarvestMapEsoheadMarkers.html

Keep trading with partners, go for blue and purple decons whenever possible, with the highest level potencies possible. Here: http://bit.ly/1tKCTIH is a great resource if you're interested in the hard numbers of what you'll get for crafting and extracting.
    Edited by Beastnas on May 31, 2014 9:32AM
  • Ellorienne
    I've been collecting glyphs and runes since 3days early access. My enchanter is level 29. I decided to start shifting some of my professions to my main, since she had a load of spare skill points. I levelled up alchemy and provisioning in a few hours (since I had all the herbs and food there already). Tailoring and Blacksmthing is taking a little longer, but I'm not far off being proficient enough in those to delete my crafting alts. My enchanting alt will, however, likely be sticking around forever, because there is no way I'll ever be able to level up any other character in enchanting within a decent amount of time. I really do hope that they improve the inspiration points for enchanting some time soon.
  • Kuratla
    Kuratla
    ✭✭✭
    I reached rank 40 Enchanting last week (which makes all glyphs in the game currently). It cost me hundreds of thousands of gold in buying runes and glyphs from guild stores and zones chat plus I had to make a secondary alt who also leveled up enchanting so I would have a consistent enchanting partner to deconstruct other's glyphs (which is the true exp comes from).

It wasn't easy or cheap. Used up a lot of resources (gold, skillpoints and time) but it got the job done.
    V14 Templar Argonian Healer, V12 DK Orc Tank, V2 Sorcerer High Elf DPS, V1 Templar Breton DPS, V1 Nightblade Bosmer DPS, and 3 low levels.

Check out my ESO journal["http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/66004/kuratla-s-eso-journal"]
  • Shiaxi
    Shiaxi
    ✭✭✭
    us enchanters do have to be kinda closet masochists to make the darned skill work.

like mentioned above.. you really need a partner to do this efficiently.

also it gets better if you can use the purple aspect glyphs; purple glyphs give a decent..ish amount of xp when crafted.
  • Food4Thought
    Food4Thought
    ✭✭✭
    To the OP, I feel your pain. I craft across all crafting lines on one character and enchanting is by far the furtherest from being leveled (still in the low teens) where everything else is in the 20s - 50.

I don't look at enchanting as a skill that I will level in a day, week, or even a month. As soon as I started I knew it was going into this one for the long haul and at my current rate, I might take 6 months to get it to 50 (if not longer).

But as I see it, the level skill is insignificant in the grand sceam of things. You can deconstruct anything regardless of craft level and that is where the XP for this line truly comes. As long as you keep at it you will get there.

And if it truly continues to be a pain to level, that just means more player will either abandon it or not take it up at all and this means if you get it to 40 you might actually have a crafting skill that is in high demand.

All I can really suggest is avoid using Ta or level 1 potencies for anything. For leveling purposes they give practically nothing. You are wasting your time and resources using this to make things and anything you can make with it you can pick up from a enchanting vendor for practically nothing.

Stick to using, Jejota, denata, and rekuta for leveling. And the same goes for level 2 - 5 potencies. Save the Kuta and Level 6 - 9 potencies for actually making stuff you want to use or sell. Hand those lower level stuff off to somebody you trust to make them for you and then deconstruct them.
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't look at enchanting as a skill that I will level in a day, week, or even a month. As soon as I started I knew it was going into this one for the long haul and at my current rate, I might take 6 months to get it to 50 (if not longer).

This. With knobs on.

As soon as I started getting into Enchanting I realised that it wasn't like the other crafts skills. That is, I think, where a lot of people begin to struggle. They expect the crafting experience to be the same across all of the different crafting lines. There is no reason why this should be so, there can indeed by easier crafts and harder crafts without breaking immesion. This is certainly the case with Enchanting.

I look upon Enchanting, my main's primary craft, as a long term project. I have no idea when I will max it out, but so far I have been able to keep up both with my own needs and those of my guildmates (for the most part).

My main also works on Clothing and Woodworking. Going up a skill level in those barely even registers as they are so simple to work through. Enchanting takes more effort and so each level feels like far more of an achievement.
  • Stonesthrow
    Stonesthrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stick to using, Jejota, denata, and rekuta for leveling. And the same goes for level 2 - 5 potencies. Save the Kuta and Level 6 - 9 potencies for actually making stuff you want to use or sell. Hand those lower level stuff off to somebody you trust to make them for you and then deconstruct them.

Agree with most of your post, but as for this part.. I would skip using Rekutas (purple) to level unless you have a ton for some reason. Use them for your own gear or to sell crafted gear with enchants. The purple to gold increase isn't significant enough in my opinion to worry about unless you min/max.

The greens and blues will get the job done… use the whites as skipping stones.

I haven't spent a dime and I'm a little over 40. Have enough saved up to probably get to 42 in my next swapping session. Here's how I do it:

I gather enough greens and blues (aspect) to do at least 50 glyphs. Potencies are a non-issue, they drop regularly and essences are everywhere. We pick a potency level… currently level 7… the put together a mail package and send all the matts to create the 50 glyphs to a friend doing the same back to me. She creates mine, I create hers… we both get inspiration… we mail… I crush, she crushes… we get a LOT of inspiration. Rinse and repeat when we have enough to do it again.

This works great because maybe I have ALL blues (wish) and she only has greens. She gets what she has available, and I get my blues.

Also works because maybe I farm twice as much… so I'm ready sooner… they are all my matts, so she can just make what I send to her and send em back without feeling obligated to go farm to make it "equal".

Just remember to clean out your bags and bank of runes to a mule before opening up your friends mail… lol
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Potencies are a non-issue, they drop regularly and essences are everywhere.

Am I the only one who has a problem finding the potencies? I've got a bank full of essence runes, and quite a few aspect runes. But I can't find usable (at my level) potencies to save my life. The last two glyphs I created were only possible because my hireling sent me some potencies. I almost never seem to find them in the field.
  • Sasky
    Sasky
    ✭✭✭
    Deconstruct is your best bet for leveling -- and with green or higher aspect.
    You get ~2.8 times as much experience from deconstructing compared to crafting.
    White to Green is a 300% jump in experience (4 times).
    Green to Blue is a 25% increase (5 times white)
    Blue to Purple is a 20% increase (6 times white)

(So if buying aspect, generally more cost effective to go with greens)

Side note: when you hit level 27/28, don't be surprised if the XP bugs out on you. It'll skip 27, but show you at 128k/247k experience. Over the whole progression, it's normal -- it just decided to show you 25 -> 29 all at once for whatever reason.
    Sasky (Zaniira, Daggerfall Covenant)
    Addons: AutoInvite, CyrHUD, Others
  • indytims_ESO
    indytims_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a pretty well-known fact that the crafts all advance at different rates. It's the weirdest thing I think I've seen in any crafting mechanic in any MMO, but... there it is. Provisioning took me about an hour to hit 50. Enchanting is at the other end of the spectrum, required a LOT more time and effort.

If there are guilds dedicated to Enchanting, I need to find one. Need to see if I can locate that Skeletorz guy in-game. :)
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's more productive to mail your friend your gathered runes to make glyphs to send back for you to deconstruct.
  • Blade_07
    Blade_07
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best way as many have already said is to swap glyphs with somebody else for deconstruction. I like to use the green aspect runes and then go with highest potency possible. Tried using blue aspect runes and didnt get even close to what I was getting with the green. Didnt make sense but the fact was that the green aspect gave us much more XP then the higher lvl blue did. I know, sounds crazy wrong but that was just the way it worked so I was kinda pissed I wasted all those blue aspects when the green gave us much more XP. lol, still pissed about it! Maybe we was both glitched or something....who fricken knows with this game.
    “Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope.”

• Food4Thought
    Food4Thought
    ✭✭✭
    Leveling enchanting will make anyone go crazy. Especially if you are pushing hard to get it leveled fast. This is one craft line that the harder you push the more your tires just seem to spin and not gain traction.

I would recommend taking this slow to maintain your sanity. I know I am. I've crafted and deconstructed every gryph that has crossed by path and I still haven't gotten enchanting out of the teens yet.
  • Misty1
    Misty1
    Soul Shriven
    I'm level 35 enchanting, it took a longtime to get there, I didn't buy anything to raise it. I farmed the runes and made glyphs and deconstructed them... until around level 20 something, then was so tired of how slow it was going that I finally decided to read some guides. The best advice I can give is; use an alt to help level it! Make an alt and use that alt for enchanting, make glyphs for alt to deconstruct and alt can make your main glyphs to deconstruct, the higher the level of the glyph the more exp gained. It still takes many hours of farming runes, but it is going way faster than it was. And use a harvest map, as others have suggested. Happy rune hunting! :D
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I been doing is using a VR6 character to gather glyphs at the VR zones and storing them in a bank for my level 39 crafting character which is currently at level 24 at enchanting. The XP still isn't as good as the other crafting skills. I haven't used many skill point to unlock the higher runes yet. I'm not part of any guild yet, but the crafting guilds seem like a good option.
  • Dweebert
    Dweebert
    ✭✭
    I turned one of my mules into and enchanter. It holds all runes I find and creates Glyphs which inturn my main crafter decons. Both can now make the V12 runes. And all I had to do was get my wife to run my mule through all the Glenumbra and stormhaven areas to get Skyshards to have the skill points to accomplish that. Also, mule carries all the runes, which their are a lot of them. Granted a lot are for Jewelry but they may come in handy at some point.Green Glyphs actually do give decent XP and they can be bought fairly cheap... Don't waste resources on TA's
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took me roughly two months to get enchanting leveled, and that included the full week of early access. The issue that makes it hard for new enchanters is that until they can invest some points in the skill tree, when you decon glyffs your rate of return for usable runes can be very low, plus if you decon runes that are very high over your current level you may get more xp but little else to use. It's a sort of catch 22. The best way is to pair up with two other people and committ to exchanging runes. There is a very valuable table you can follow here at Tamriel Foundry, which will help you see the amount of points you can get from each type of glyff and at each level. You'll get there - but yes it does take a lot of time investment.