The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Rapid gear decay

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like, right now, gear decays in about 4 - 8 hours. Which, honestly sounds fine, at least on paper. Gear still feels squishy. But, it was really nice to be able to play the game again; stagger up to a merchant, and not have to completely cough up all my earnings just to get my armor passives back online.

4-8 hours? You are very lucky then.

Before all the memory leaks, etc. that were introduced yesterday, and when I wasn't getting hit by rollbacks, I lost around 50% decay in an hour - that is an improvement, along with not as bad (although multiple quest rewards are still useless with this gold wasting) costs, but still..... :P

Although there are now bigger issues.

Yeah, more's the pity.

I was talking about post patch. I saw 25% decay in about an hour and extrapolated out... take that for whatever the associated risk is.

That said, before that I was seeing 25% deterioration in 15-20 minutes. So, this is an improvement there.

I'm not thrilled with the system as is, but it's more livable than it was.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    esoone wrote: »
    Lost 11% on my boots wich were just crafted wile chatting with friends. Gues next time we have to chat in group inside a dungeon because thats only thing they fixed maybe then only loose 9 or 10% wile chatting.

Okay, that needs to be /bugged whenever it happens, because that's a separate issue, and there's no way that's "working as intended."
  • Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    Dying causes 10%
    That's what it says on loading screens. It actually seems to do 1-2% on each armour piece and around 8-10% more on one armour piece.

I'm pretty happy with the fixes so far, around a 25% reduction in costs, enough that gold drops are then positive, and less damage on monster that you do less than 100% damage to (ie group kills). Other than that the only thing needed is to stamp out the bugs.
  • SootyTX
    SootyTX
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I have to say for non-weirdly bugged players (i.e. those impacted by the group craziness) I think the patch has pretty much eliminated the excess costs we've been seeing. I've been deliberately doing stuff with other people since the patch (which is rare for me, people tend to annoy....yes I know its a MMO, but I'm here for the massively, not the multiplayer, predominantly).

One example, after 2 informal slaughterfests (solo delve with other people around) plus the public dungeon in Grahtwood grouped with a templer and around a bunch of other players spamming aoe hits and buffs left and right, my little sorc had a repair bill of 128g. Previously that would have been 3x or 4x as high.

Just wish we could hammer down what's driving these weird super-rapid-decay bugs now :(
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm experiencing much slower decay and smaller repair costs. Bank has grown 15000G since 1.1.2's release. Yay!
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, did they change the sturdy trait on armor and shields? I'm pretty sure it wasn't "avoid decay on defeat" before, but rather "avoid decay"

Or was it?
    Edited by Blackwolfe5 on May 24, 2014 9:30PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, did they change the sturdy trait on armor and shields? I'm pretty sure it wasn't "avoid decay on defeat" before, but rather "avoid decay"

Or was it?

It always said, "chance to avoid decay on defeat", and apparently always applied whenever there was a chance for decay.

Which... could be a hint that the decay on XP gain isn't intended behavior... except now it is. :|
  • SootyTX
    SootyTX
    ✭✭✭

Or was it?

It always said, "chance to avoid decay on defeat", and apparently always applied whenever there was a chance for decay.

Which... could be a hint that the decay on XP gain isn't intended behavior... except now it is. :|

LoL starkerealm (btw, is that starke-realm or starker-realm when i say it in my head?). I'm pretty sure its just a bug that is working in our favour for once.

Everyone else watching this thread - PLEASE continue to /bug any weird super rapid decays you get (in as accurate detail as possible, because otherwise there's really not much point). It's great that we got a huge improvement from the group fix and the overall reduction in cost, but some people are still seeing odd issues and those will obviously need some chasing down.

I'm gonna get off my soapbox now - we did good here people (passes a beer to @Arwyn) :smiley:

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌ - please pass my thanks on to the devs that fixed the group bug(s) and added the cost reduction....and remind them there's still a couple of odd things going on for some players.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SootyTX wrote: »
    LoL starkerealm (btw, is that starke-realm or starker-realm when i say it in my head?). I'm pretty sure its just a bug that is working in our favour for once.

Usually I have capitalization to help with parsing it, not sure why I didn't do that here.

It was a play off the old Chris Carter TV series. I'd rolled up a character named Starke in Fallout 2, and then used that as the save file name. I can't remember why I then turned around and used it as a web name, probably just because I liked the way it sounded, and wasn't usually taken, but... here we are.
    Edited by starkerealm on May 26, 2014 2:26PM