The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Rapid gear decay

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's true. I was going to write "double gold drops in overall" but then I thought "what about the bots"

Gonna have to rethink that, can't always think about what would benefit bots. Doubling gold drops in the world would help, as well as decreasing repair cost (by 50% at least) and decreasing the rate that gear deteriorates. (all this coupled with fixing the cases of rapid decay). On top of that, allowing crafters to repair gear.

Unless of course, the group dynamics are what's causing the increase in costs, at which point, "what about the bots?" transitions into, "the bots are actually causing this; laughing all the way to the bank, and then taxing the hell out of us for ZoS not cleaning up it's code."
    Options
  • Arwyn
    Arwyn
    ✭✭✭
    Now im in the vet areas Im seeing a pattern, if im in a phased zone with many people fighting my bill is high, in an open area with next to noone around and my bill is very low.

I have sent this info to support, never know I might get a support person with a link to the devs.....
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arwyn wrote: »
    Now im in the vet areas Im seeing a pattern, if im in a phased zone with many people fighting my bill is high, in an open area with next to noone around and my bill is very low.

I have sent this info to support, never know I might get a support person with a link to the devs.....

So we actually are getting punished for the bots existing.

I don't have any words. No words.
    Options
  • kasain
    kasain
    ✭✭✭
    ESO employees the bot companies. We all know this. Heck back in he day when asked will ESO be a sub game or box game, buy and play forever free, they never gave an answer.

You saw the uproar of people with sub, could you imagain if that CEO guy said pay extra for imperial or buy a horse from our shop on top of subs? And the bots make resources scare. ESO shop will open up with many repair kits, and items that in effect are due to things they know are working just as paned. They want to maximize money from players, bots help them, PERIOD.
    Options
  • cris13crossb16_ESO
    cris13crossb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I havn't read this whole thread so this might have been mentioned before (apologies if it has) but there is a really annoying bug with items actually breaking.

Quite often when questing i will get a pop up in the top right corner saying my gear is damaged (or broken) i check my gear and it is all fine, lowest durability piece is like 40/100. I also check my character panel and make sure my armor value is the same as the total of the tooltips for the gear (which it always is).

5 mins later i get the pop up again so check my gear, that piece that was 40/100 is now 0/100. How on earth can a gear piece loose 40% durability in 5 minutes.

And this only happens with questing, in a dungeon i can die 5 times in a run that takes an hour, my gear might have lost 5 durability, no more.
    Edited by cris13crossb16_ESO on May 18, 2014 12:38PM
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I havn't read this whole thread so this might have been mentioned before (apologies if it has) but there is a really annoying bug with items actually breaking.

Quite often when questing i will get a pop up in the top right corner saying my gear is damaged (or broken) i check my gear and it is all fine, lowest durability piece is like 40/100. I also check my character panel and make sure my armor value is the same as the total of the tooltips for the gear (which it always is).

5 mins later i get the pop up again so check my gear, that piece that was 40/100 is now 0/100. How on earth can a gear piece loose 40% durability in 5 minutes.

And this only happens with questing, in a dungeon i can die 5 times in a run that takes an hour, my gear might have lost 5 durability, no more.

That's the bug. I think the highest decay rate I've heard of before was 50% in 30m, but, yeah, that's the bug. Death usually only clips about 2-5% of an item's condition.
    Options
  • tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the bug. I think the highest decay rate I've heard of before was 50% in 30m, but, yeah, that's the bug. Death usually only clips about 2-5% of an item's condition.

0% within 23 mins.

Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

0% within 23 mins.

Or... you know, that.
    Options
  • redwoodtreesprite
    redwoodtreesprite
    ✭✭✭
    So how about a positive sledgehammer fix, eh? Just disable all decay other than a set percentage if a character dies. And while at it, don't have /unstuck count as dying?
    Options
  • Aaron0505
    Aaron0505
    At lvl 10 made myself full set of light armor and went about my normal quest/delves (not much fighting there, instances all cleared out by bots) and leveled to 14. At about lvl11 paid about 400g for repairs, lvl12 around 850g, and another bill when I flipped to 13 of 1100g. At the time I had gold of just under 3k. Refused to pay, and played last level with mostly broken equipment/naked.
    As vamp sorc, I really don't take much dmg, I avoid 3+ mobs and most of the time, between frags and siphon, most stuff is stun-locked.
    Kind of absurd to have to pay that much for repairs. Guess if I was sporting gold trimmed cashmere I could see that, but this is itchy homespun...

Feel as if I'm being penalized for playing.
    Options
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please fix this. Now that I'm in VR zones, I would like to group up more, but I just can't afford it. I'll see people in zone chat wanting to group up to do dolmens and world bosses, and I think to my self that sounds fun and I need the XP. Then I check my gold and realize that I can't afford it because I end up losing gold whenever I group. So I'm forced to solo quest.
    Options
  • Arwyn
    Arwyn
    ✭✭✭
    aipex8_ESO wrote: »
    Please fix this. Now that I'm in VR zones, I would like to group up more, but I just can't afford it. I'll see people in zone chat wanting to group up to do dolmens and world bosses, and I think to my self that sounds fun and I need the XP. Then I check my gold and realize that I can't afford it because I end up losing gold whenever I group. So I'm forced to solo quest.

This is the problem ZoS, you are making people not group together in an MMO. GJ!
    Options
  • Arwyn
    Arwyn
    ✭✭✭

Reply from support, Theyre glad the game is now working correctly for me..... Jesus wept.

Explained it was only that zone but the brick wall is still firmly in place.
    Options
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I wonder if sometimes the extra isn't being caused by bots underground.
    Options
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it seems youtube cut off a few minutes of my video ... sigh, I will have to re-upload it.

Youtube has a 15m limit on it by default.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    babylon wrote: »

I wonder if sometimes the extra isn't being caused by bots underground.

That's exactly what I'm thinking.
    Options
  • Zeeed
    Zeeed
    ✭✭✭
    Just to say how my situation looks.
    Last 7 days i been farming VR10 public dungeon on my vr10 char cause... I like the Pain train.
    Gear goes from 100% to 0% without dying in 25-30 minutes.
    That is 2300gold just there. All in all those runs give me 2k profit with 2k repair/full inventory of white/green items for sale ect...

This is *** up as its like 50% of my gold grind goes for repairs !!!! Even without dying.....

I guess i wont be running in grind groups no more as i did not knew that grouping makes your gear brake faster WTFFFFF
    Edited by Zeeed on May 19, 2014 10:54AM
    Options
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to do virtually all of Coldharbour and the finale to the main story naked...it was doable as a VR1 with little dying, but now it is started to get a tad challenging..

I will say however, in dungeons I did not lose any durability - and I was doing neglected dungeons for hours yesterday. After I left, I started to decay again. :(
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
    Options
  • ahstin2001nub18_ESO
    unfortunately they didnt get rid of the teleporting resource farming bots, so they dont have to even be under the ground. the tutorial zone was literally streaming (or streaking) with them.
    I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone.

Martin A. Treptow
    1894-1918
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know if this is still happening on the PTS?
    Options
  • Bulwyf
    Bulwyf
    I also would like to know if those on PTS are seeing any positive changes to the insane costs for repair bills.
    Options
  • danreckerpreub18_ESO
    A few fun facts:
    I am now halfway through VR1, medium / heavy armor skill is maxed, light is 48.5... so quite close to max there as well.

Since level 32, I have been making myself 3 heavy, 3 light training pieces to wear during combat, I have my medium armor skill tree maxed, so I have been playing basically naked.

I keep a set of green quality / white enchants on hand for bosses / random dungeon runs.

I have discovered that when going back to farm materials in lower level zones, I experience absolutely no armor decay whatsoever, I can go for 3 hours without seeing even a bit of decay.

When I start earning experience...? My armor falls to pieces. Armor appears to be decaying based on experience gain

It's gotten to the point where I just deconstruct my old training sets, and make new ones... Once i'm maxed, I plan on continuing the practice - I'll be keeping a set of white medium armor, and only using the green for difficult encounters. As it stands, my provisioning food gives me more stats then armor would, and I have enough trait gems / researched items to make some rather nice set gear.

Taking the half hour to go find the set crafting stations I want is actually worth the time, given that I no longer have to spend 2.5x my income from quests / trash loot keeping my gear from falling to pieces.

Edit: My guess as to why armor decays SO fast in dungeons, is due to the experience modifiers they implemented to counter exp grinding. Gear decays based on the exp you would have gained, without the ~90% nerf, so shredding even a few packs will devastate your armor
    Edited by danreckerpreub18_ESO on May 20, 2014 1:50PM
    Options
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it also has to do with how many people are around you, and it doesn't seem to matter if you are actually grouped with them. Last night I did some questing, 3 manned a dolmen, soloed a public dungeon, was out for about 2 hours. Repair bill: 500 gold. If I do one dolmen with a ton of people, even if not grouped, my repair bill is larger than that!
    Options
  • SootyTX
    SootyTX
    ✭✭✭
    Bulwyf wrote: »
    I also would like to know if those on PTS are seeing any positive changes to the insane costs for repair bills.

THIS is what we need information about. If anyone on PTS is able to comment on the gear decay changes there it would be a huge benefit to everyone else.

To all - the devs have acknowledged there are gear decay issues with groups - informal and formal, this is why you see bumps in dungeons etc, and this is what's changed on PTS.

@Arwyn‌ - good observation on your part, shame the CS guy wasn't able to follow the logic of what you were saying :neutral_face:
    Options
  • SootyTX
    SootyTX
    ✭✭✭
    I think it also has to do with how many people are around you, and it doesn't seem to matter if you are actually grouped with them. Last night I did some questing, 3 manned a dolmen, soloed a public dungeon, was out for about 2 hours. Repair bill: 500 gold. If I do one dolmen with a ton of people, even if not grouped, my repair bill is larger than that!

This the the biggest issue with the system atm, and is included on the PTS patch notes - we simply don't know atm the degree of the changes and whether or not it completely eliminates the problem or we'll still have some weirdness at crafting stations/vendors etc. I'm personally thinking the crafting station decay is actually due in some bizarre way to other players dropping group buffs etc in the vicinity.

Atm I'm cautiously optimistic but frustratingly data starved

Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, and that's the other part of the issue. If you're in an area where bots are actually fighting, you'll get raked over the coals for it. It's like ZoS wants to punish into silence on the subject by slagging our gear.
    Options
  • Borondir
    Borondir
    The decay is in cyrodiil even faster. Do some quests there, fight some monsters and you armor will brake. You don't need even to be hit by the monsters. Armor decay when you die is ok but repair costs for fighting is insane.
    Options
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I could see small, slow decay when you get hit (I mean small, less than 1 point) - wear and tear and stuff. But to be, say, sitting somewhere in peace, but there's bots around killing stuff, and have your gear start to decay is just silly.

BTW, do set bonuses stack? For instance, if I made all my gear at one set-crafting station, that only has a 3-set bonus, would 6 pieces give me a double buff or no?
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I could see small, slow decay when you get hit (I mean small, less than 1 point) - wear and tear and stuff. But to be, say, sitting somewhere in peace, but there's bots around killing stuff, and have your gear start to decay is just silly.

BTW, do set bonuses stack? For instance, if I made all my gear at one set-crafting station, that only has a 3-set bonus, would 6 pieces give me a double buff or no?

No.

And, if you're in combat, and the bots are in combat, then it thinks your all working together and the group multiplier kicks in. Also sometimes if you're in combat and the bots are teleporting in your general vicinity and the game thinks they're in combat.
    Options
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well at least doing Vet content naked has been an interesting task....
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
    Options