The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

[PSA] Jewelry Crafting Rebalance

Billium813
Billium813
✭✭✭✭✭
As I'm sure everyone is aware of by now, ZOS will be altering Jewelry Crafting in the up coming patch. I thought I would mention some stuff that people can do to be prepared and get the most out of the update. If there's stuff I missed, let me know!
  1. Make sure you refine all of your unrefined jewelry Dust. ZOS is doing away with jewelry crafting grains. Existing jewelry crafting plating will be converted into 10 platings and every jewelry crafting grain will become a plating. You want to make sure you refine all of your Platinum Dust to get as many grains and plates as you can before they x10 with the update! After the update, refining jewelry Dust is going to produce plates at the current, slow rate.
  2. Open all Jewelry Crafter's Coffers. Any grains/plates opened before the update will be worth x10 more then after the update.
  3. Save all Sealed Jewelry Crafter Writs. They are reasonably expensive at the moment to do for most players; plates cost too much and are too valuable to use. After the update though, the market is going to be absolutely flooded with Platings... Plus, you are gonna want Writ Vouchers for the new Grand Master Crafting Stations!
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on October 13, 2023 3:29AM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t understand #1. Any grains you get now from refining will be converted to platings during the update. You will get a plating when you would have gotten a grain when refining after the update. As long as the refining rate remains the same, you will get the same thing in the end either way.

What am I missing here? Do we have any proof refining rates are changing?
    Options
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    I don’t understand #1. Any grains you get now from refining will be converted to platings during the update. You will get a plating when you would have gotten a grain when refining after the update. As long as the refining rate remains the same, you will get the same thing in the end either way.

I think what OP means is to refine all your dust to grains/plate because dust by itself isn't getting a boost.

I would add use up all of your jewelry surveys so that you have the maximum grains/plates before the update.
    PS5/NA
    Options
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think what OP means is to refine all your dust to grains/plate because dust by itself isn't getting a boost.
    What do you mean by boost?
    Lets say I refine 1k dust now get 5 chromium grains 8 zircon grains 10 iridium grains 15 terne grains.
    This then gets converted to platings. on U40

Or I wait to refine and get the same amount of platings directly.

The refine rate staying the same would mean my chance of getting a grain now equals my chance of getting a plating in the future. It's possible they've decreased (or increased) the drop rate, but I've seen no evidence of this.
    Options
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I would add use up all of your jewelry surveys so that you have the maximum grains/plates before the update.

I'm still not understanding - why does dust need a boost? If I refine 2000 raw dust now and get 10 grains, they automatically become 10 platings next update. If I refine those 2000 dust next update, I get those 10 platings directly. The refining rate is not changing, so the end result is the same.

As for surveys, doing them now means you'll miss out on the fix to Plentiful Harvest, which is currently bugged so it gives a 0% chance to double your node at Stage 1 and 40% chance at Stage 5. Next update it will work as advertised.

Here are some quick refining results on PTS to illustrate my point about refining:

With 3/3 extraction but not Meticulous Disassembly:
    1k pewter dust: 10 terne platings, 12 iridium platings, 8 zircon platings, 9 chromium platings
    1k copper dust: 15 terne platings, 19 iridium platings, 4 zircon platings, 4 chromium platings
    1k silver dust: 14 terne platings, 11 iridum platings, 4 zircon platings, 3 chromium platings
    1k electrum dust: 13 terne platings, 12 iridium platings, 10 zircon platings, 3 chromium platings
    1k platinum dust: 13 terne platings, 15 iridium platings, 7 zircon platings, 5 chromium platings

Observed rates per refining (10x raw mat consumed per refining):
    13% terne
    13.8% iridium
    6.6% zircon
    4.8% chromium

Per tmbrinks' data, pre-Meticulous Dissassembly rates for grains from refining were as follows:

14.92% terne
    12.59% iridium
    7.42% zircon
    4.83% chromium

With 3/3 extraction and Meticulous Disassembly:
    1k pewter dust: 13 terne plating, 14 iridium plating, 10 zircon plating, 6 chromium plating
    1k copper dust: 14 terne plating, 11 iridium plating, 14 zircon plating, 5 chromium plating
    1k silver dust: 15 terne plating, 16 iridium plating, 8 zircon plating, 3 chromium plating
    1k electrum dust: 10 terne plating, 16 iridium plating, 12 zircon plating, 5 chromium plating
    1k platinum dust: 15 terne plating, 15 iridium plating, 5 zircon plating, 5 chromium plating

Observed rates per refining:
    13.4% terne
    14.4% iridium
    9.8% zircon
    4.8% chromium

Per tmbrinks' data, refining rates with all extraction passives + MD are as follows:

16.88% terne
    14.00% iridium
    8.42% zircon
    5.66% chromium

I've clearly gotten lucky on some draws and unlucky on others, since I've only done two sets of 500 refinings, but these are not far enough apart to suggest to me that there has been a change to refining chances. If someone with more expertise in math can weigh in, I would appreciate it.
    Options
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the rate of dust to grains (or I guess after 40 plate) going to stay the same?
    PS5/NA
    Options
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is the rate of dust to grains (or I guess after 40 plate) going to stay the same?

Yes, as far as PTS rates suggest - see my numbers above.

That's why the end product is the same.
    Options
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DO NOT collect your surveys before the patch.

Plentiful Harvest has been bugged for years on Live. Only giving an estimated 40% chance.

With the "fix" to level 1 in the patch notes, the full 50% chance is now actually being applied.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
    Options
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic, as it's crafting related.

Thank you for your understanding
    Options
    Staff Post
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    #3 is good advice. i dont see how #1 or #2 help.
    Options
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    DO NOT collect your surveys before the patch.

Plentiful Harvest has been bugged for years on Live. Only giving an estimated 40% chance.

With the "fix" to level 1 in the patch notes, the full 50% chance is now actually being applied.

I am collecting them anyway. The increase in drops is not enough to offset the anxiety of building up a gigantic survey backlog.
    Options
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've thought about #1 and #2 and it should make no difference doing them now or after the patch.

The only possible issue would be a bug in the patch, like maybe coffers give a smaller amount of platings after the patch than they're supposed to.
    Options
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should we deconstruct any gold jewelry we have that we're not currently planning to use before U40 to try and get the most return?
    Options
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should we deconstruct any gold jewelry we have that we're not currently planning to use before U40 to try and get the most return?

Doesn't matter.

You decon now, you get a grain, which then converts to a plating.

You decon later, you get a plating.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
    Options
  • adirondack
    adirondack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite part of this change is seeing the completely insane prices for jewelry crafting writs.

It’s like golden karma.
    Ray
    Options
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've thought about #1 and #2 and it should make no difference doing them now or after the patch.

The only possible issue would be a bug in the patch, like maybe coffers give a smaller amount of platings after the patch than they're supposed to.

#2 will make a bit of a difference. The grains will still become plates and even out, but as far as I'm aware the double drops and whole plates won't happen after. Those extra grains will add up and if you're lucky enough to get a whole plate before the update it'll convert to 10
    PS4 EU
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my advice for the upcoming jewelry rebalance is dont do anything that consumes tempers before patch lol

so dont do jewelry writs, dont upgrade any jewelry until after patch

and dont delete those blue jewelry writs, those will be incredibly valuable post patch
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options