The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Arcanist abilities too flashy

• StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    starting this off by saying i dont even have Necrom or the Arcanist class so telling me to stop using certain abilities isnt gonna do anything here.
    does anyone else find that Arcanist abilities are too over the top and obstruct your view of whats happening around you? i find even some of the more basic combat to be needlessly difficult bc theres too much green swirls on my screen to see things like enemies or aoes when an Arcanist joins me in a fight. like ive never died from the aoes in the Bok-Xul world boss up until bc with the aoe cue brightness pumped up to max its obvious where they are, an Arcanist happened to join me and suddenly i was struggling to see the aoes and wound up dying.
    is there any way i can turn down the Arcanist vfx, any chance the devs might tone it down for everyone?

To me, I think the idea of the class is cool but from what I see on twitch and YouTube, the class sticks out like a sore thumb. It doesn't look like it fits in the world because of how flashy it is. I'm on console so I still have another two weeks before I can play the class so I will reserve the right to change my opinion.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    It's interesting... some players screaming "it's bad, too bright, etc" and then you have players saying, "it's awesome, perfect, love it." ZOS cannot win in this situation, other than to perhaps put more Arcanist skills on the "hide other players skills" category... because there is that option in the settings, in case people didn't know.

Personally, I'm loving Arcanist and think the skills are just fine. Before I tried it on PTS, I heard people saying the same thing about skills being too bright, obnoxious, etc... and was leery about trying it myself. However, once on PTS, I didn't find any problem with the skills whatsoever, in fact quite the opposite.

would be useful if you also told us where the option is. i've looked through all my settings but can't find it.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On PC, in Video, under Graphics, all the way to the bottom of the list. I don't know on console.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yea that setting doesn't exist on console so not everyone can use it.
    and sadly hiding other player's skills wouldn't hide skills for someone who wants the arcanist to be less flashy and still use the arcanist

🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    On PC, in Video, under Graphics, all the way to the bottom of the list. I don't know on console.

Not available on XBox that I have ever seen... Lots of configuration stuff is not available on XBox.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only animation I could do without is the crux propeller spinning around me.
    It looks like a quick afterthought compared to the way they implemented the other rune magic.
    Wish they had a toggle for the crux meter to either: See it as it is now OR see a simpler "meter" like a rune-ish looking count number along the edge of the screen. Bonus points for that meter being movable :)

As far as all the other FX I've seen, LOVE THEM B)
    Animations are tops, the rune spells look and feel powerful, sound FX match nicely and compliment the animations well!

Adding my voice to those that feel IF changes are made that we be given the option to toggle various bits off and on so everyone can experience the new class the way they wish.
    Edited by Tenthirty2 on June 7, 2023 10:42PM
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for clarity in case people still can't find it, in video, at the bottom of the options under graphics, on PC it's called "Show additional ally effects". The tooltip states, however, that it relates to "persistent offensive abilities". I've yet to test whether this helps any.

(Full text of the tip: "Displays all persistent ally offensive abilities when in dungeon and overland zones. Disabling this may increase performance.")

I must say, it gets a little frustrating when ZOS does implement options to do things players have requested, but in ways that are for no obvious reason compromised. See also disabling pets, but only at certain specific places in towns, when people have been begging to be able to get rid of other people's twilights pretty much *completely* in towns for literally years.
    Edited by Northwold on June 7, 2023 11:15PM
  • Tarloch_S
    Tarloch_S
    ✭✭✭
    As a person who plays in 1st person/3rd person centered with camera as close to character as possible, the Arcanist is miserable to play (Crux propeller). Maybe shrink those triangles to 1/4 of their size, move them to belt level and bring them in tight to the body so 3rdies still have visual and add a counter...something like https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info3639-CruxCounter.html. idk, but please for the love of Stendarr...Do something.

RIP. Arcanist, deleted and I will never play this class as is.

While you are at it, go through all the spells in the game from these perspectives and give them a QOL update. There are several that make play almost impossible (swirling ice tornadoes and such)...thank goodness they only last a short time.

I agree with toggles to allow individual preference on/off for pets, spells ect.

Zone looks and feels great, loving it and the stories!
    Be kind and generous to the people of Tamriel. Protect the weak, heal the sick, and give to the needy. Stendarr
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Northwold wrote: »

Just for clarity in case people still can't find it, in video, at the bottom of the options under graphics, on PC it's called "Show additional ally effects". The tooltip states, however, that it relates to "persistent offensive abilities". I've yet to test whether this helps any.

(Full text of the tip: "Displays all persistent ally offensive abilities when in dungeon and overland zones. Disabling this may increase performance.")

I must say, it gets a little frustrating when ZOS does implement options to do things players have requested, but in ways that are for no obvious reason compromised. See also disabling pets, but only at certain specific places in towns, when people have been begging to be able to get rid of other people's twilights pretty much *completely* in towns for literally years.

It doesn't really help.

I have the option turned off and it affects neither crux nor the beam..
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • thedoodle_90
      thedoodle_90
      ✭✭✭
      Simple Soltuion is Video Filters to tone down effects oif "Self" "Party" "Alliance" "Others" Similar to other games. That way some [snip] doesnt effect the beauty of the spells for everyone and they can have their dull lifeless game.

[edited for inappropriate language]
      Edited by zos_Izaren on June 8, 2023 9:40AM
    • kumenit_taeynav
      kumenit_taeynav
      ✭✭✭✭
      Simple Soltuion is Video Filters to tone down effects oif "Self" "Party" "Alliance" "Others" Similar to other games. That way some [snip] doesnt effect the beauty of the spells for everyone and they can have their dull lifeless game.

i really love the idea of having the different levels you suggested. itd be nice if it could be applied to all sorts of abilities folks have been complaining about here too

[edited for inappropriate language]
      Edited by zos_Izaren on June 8, 2023 9:40AM
    • KaosWarMonk
      KaosWarMonk
      ✭✭✭✭
      Yeah I reckon they are too flashy/obnoxious. Was in Craglorn and all the beams and tentacles flying around is a bit OTT.

I'd prefer if they weren't so bright green and were more smokey/shadowy.

The constantly swirling crux triangles aren't great either, they're like beacons, turning arcanist toons into a xmas-trees visible from a long way away. Pretty off-putting in first person as well, they go right across your field of view.
    • Lugaldu
      Lugaldu
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Elsonso wrote: »
      For fun (dont flame me), here is how AI rates the image....1lmjm89s5rax.png

AI hates Dunmer? :disappointed:

Um... he is an Altmer ;)

I don't think it's a bad thing in general that the Arcanist's effects are green, it goes with the Hermaeus Mora theme, but that neon green is just way too intense. I've already said it in other threads, I only play 1st person view and the circling crux triangles are unbearable. I know now that I can get rid of them with Fatecarver, but also this specific spell - even if it's really cool and effective - makes such a deafening noise and then in combination with the bright green light... that's just overdosed.

But unfortunately, in the last two years, ESO has already shown a tendency with the mounts that everything has to become more and more colourful, glaring, brighter and louder.
      Edited by Lugaldu on June 8, 2023 7:29AM
    • Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Lugaldu wrote: »
      For fun (dont flame me), here is how AI rates the image....1lmjm89s5rax.png

AI hates Dunmer? :disappointed:

Um... he is an Altmer ;)

Ahh. That explains the 19%. Altmer make odd looking Dunmer. :smile:
      Lugaldu wrote: »
      I don't think it's a bad thing in general that the Arcanist's effects are green, it goes with the Hermaeus Mora theme, but that neon green is just way too intense. I've already said it in other threads, I only play 1st person view and the circling crux triangles are unbearable. I know now that I can get rid of them with Fatecarver, but also this specific spell - even if it's really cool and effective - makes such a deafening noise and then in combination with the bright green light... that's just overdosed.

In the class ability effects, the green does not feel like "Hermaeus Mora" to me. The color makes me think poison and toxic, so my vibe for the Arcanist is along those lines. To me, the healing circle cast by an Arcanist healer makes me think "AoE damage over time", so I am not drawn to it.

I am fairly certain they are not going to change the color of the Arcanist abilities. The intense green was a deliberate decision and it is tough to walk back these sorts of ideas after they are decided and out there.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
      XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
      X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    • Kendaric
      Kendaric
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      In the class ability effects, the green does not feel like "Hermaeus Mora" to me. The color makes me think poison and toxic, so my vibe for the Arcanist is along those lines.

I feel more reminded of Star Trek (Romulan or Klingon disruptors) than anything else... maybe it's because of the beams. It's definitely an odd choice in color.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      • Tandor
        Tandor
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Kendaric wrote: »
        In the class ability effects, the green does not feel like "Hermaeus Mora" to me. The color makes me think poison and toxic, so my vibe for the Arcanist is along those lines.

I feel more reminded of Star Trek (Romulan or Klingon disruptors) than anything else... maybe it's because of the beams. It's definitely an odd choice in color.

Agreed, whether Star Trek or Star Wars, phasers or lasers, the effects are definitely sci-fi rather than fantasy and (to me, others will feel differently hence the call for options) look totally out of place in ESO.
      • Liguar
        Liguar
        ✭✭✭✭

That's a funny point, because I've actually taken refuge on a Romulan the past few days.

Even with ship battles and beam weapons firing everywhere it isn't anywhere near as intense as the arcanist effects because they are thinner, not as bright, and softer tones (maybe, probably down to individual preference) .

Still a whole lot of unnecessary effects, but I start to think that no games are ever going to look as dull as I'd wish.
      • Einar_Hrafnarsson
        Einar_Hrafnarsson
        ✭✭✭✭
        Finally a class that actually looks magical and some need to complain. :D

I LOVE the visuals and the Sound design even more. I wish every class would get a visual rework to be equally flashy
      • LunaFlora
        LunaFlora
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭

I LOVE the visuals and the Sound design even more. I wish every class would get a visual rework to be equally flashy

people complain because of inaccessibility. flashing effects and bright colours aren't something everyone can ignore and play with it.

🦬🦌🐰
        PlayStation and PC EU.
        LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
        LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
      • Einar_Hrafnarsson
        Einar_Hrafnarsson
        ✭✭✭✭
        LunaFlora wrote: »

people complain because of inaccessibility. flashing effects and bright colours aren't something everyone can ignore and play with it.

Well, then i jump on board with adding a button to disable other players Effects or adjust them via a slider. Completely disabling them might cause massive issues in Raids when you cant see your healers orb or aoe heal on the ground.
      • BalticBlues
        BalticBlues
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭
        The arcanist animations totally change the visual impact of the entire game.
        I find all the animations to be overbearing and obnoxious.
        My daughter, who loves classic fantasy and fantasy games, tells me:
        "ESO does not look like CLASSIC FANTASY anymore. It looks more like STEAMPUNK."
        I feel reminded of Star Trek (Romulan or Klingon disruptors)
        Green beams, laser sounds - in the medieval setting of ESO now UFOs have landed:
        mars-attacks-alien.gif
        The effects are definitely sci-fi [...] look totally out of place in ESO.
        I actually would like this stuff - in a game like Overwatch or Destiny.
        But in good old ESO? For our family, the Arcanist in ESO also feels like sci-fi and misplaced.

Edited by BalticBlues on June 8, 2023 12:32PM
      • ADarklore
        ADarklore
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Well, considering the game already has extremely flashy mounts I'm not seeing how Arcanist is any different. Also, it isn't like Arcanist are using 'guns' so I don't see anything "sci-fi" about it. They're using arcane magic utilizing runes and tomes.. and it isn't exactly like we didn't already have a bright glowing Templar beam.
        CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
      • Chi75
        Chi75
        ✭✭✭✭
        its look like wow ugly
      • Redriamne
        Redriamne
        ✭✭
        Green beams, laser sounds - in the medieval setting of ESO now UFOs have landed:
        mars-attacks-alien.gif
        But in good old ESO? For our family, the Arcanist in ESO also feels like sci-fi and misplaced.

So banners falling from the sky out of nowhere, graveyards appearing under people's feet(gravestones included), summoning an undead colossus which vanishes after 3 seconds, warden's vanishing animals, and simple fireballs are all fine and proper magical effects, but flying magical glyphs and beams made of pure magical energy/forbidden knowledge are immersion breaking and where you draw the line because you don't like the color? :|
      • Jammy420
        Jammy420
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        This is probably a bigger issue for people who use color enhancment add ons.

Solution - stop.
      • Ragnarok0130
        Ragnarok0130
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        mars-attacks-alien.gif

We do have flying dwemer airships and automotons in TES so sci-fi isn’t anti-Elder Scrolls. Regarding Overwatch I suspect the devs were influenced by it as Moira’s ult is a healing/damage beam and Symmetra’s portals look and work similar to the apocrypha gate skill. Overall I like the Arcanist
      • acastanza_ESO
        acastanza_ESO
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        I think in general the effects are very well done, the animations are excellent, and creative. However, they are too bright, especially in circumstances with more than one arcanist they can become extremely visually overwhelming extremely quickly. My suggestion would be to dial back the brightness, and perhaps saturation just a bit. I think it'd be just about perfect then.

My only other comment is that I like the aesthetic of the healing beam over the DPS beam, the heal beam seems more integrated into the game environment the Fatecarver beam sometimes gets some odd visual distortion that can make it look more like it's painted on top than actually in the world.
        Edited by acastanza_ESO on June 8, 2023 2:22PM
      • SirLeeMinion
        SirLeeMinion
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Agreed, OP.

ESO seems to be going in the direction of "flashier is better." Clearly some folks like it; I do not.

The setting to "turn off additional ally effects" does not help. If anyone can recommend a specific add-on to reduce the Arcanist effects and things like the Voidmother's Welwa mount summons, I'd appreciate it.
      • SilverBride
        SilverBride
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        I'd be happy if they turned down the brightness and changed the neon green to a more subtle shade, and gave us the option to change the spinning triangles to a numerical indicator somewhere. Or at least make them smaller and static rather than the constant motion.
        PCNA
      • Shagreth
        Shagreth
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        The reason I love the class is because of its flashiness. If OTHER arcanists are your issue, then there's already an option for that, if YOUR arcanist is the issue, well, either don't play it, or wait for an option that reduces the brightness.

p.s. the only thing I don't like are the spinning crux. Anyway, yeah, options would be nice, hopefully they won't take a one-sided approach.
        Edited by Shagreth on June 8, 2023 5:39PM