The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

About the New Tutorial

driosketch
driosketch
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
So I haven't started a new character since Greymoor, and back then the tutorial was still an intro to the current chapter's story. The current tutorial looks like it was set in the Summerset chapter while being a little generic with its story. That isn't a complaint. It's a fine tutorial, and honestly, including the original, they all play the same.

Let out of your cell
Choose a weapon
Brief combat instruction
Shared open area with enemies, containers, some mechanics and a boss

The thing is, I think it was Blackwood where the patch said you could now choose where you start. I took that to mean you could choose your tutorial quest, but I guess it means you choose the starter island/chapter zone you pop out.

So my question is, is this the same tutorial that's been in the game since Blackwood, or is it new for this chapter?
Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • IsharaMeradin
    IsharaMeradin
    ✭✭✭✭
    What you described is the same as what was added with Blackwood. Instead of doing a new tutorial with each chapter, they'll just turn one of the wall sections into a portal to the new chapter area.
    PC-NA / PC-EU
    ID @IsharaMeradin
    Characters NA
    Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
    Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
    Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
    Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
    Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
    Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
    Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
    Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
    Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
    Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
    Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
    Characters NA
    Ja'Sassy-Daro - Khajiit Nightblade
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same one to my knowledge. A new portal just gets added every chapter.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What you described is the same as what was added with Blackwood. Instead of doing a new tutorial with each chapter, they'll just turn one of the wall sections into a portal to the new chapter area.
    OtarTheMad wrote: »

Thanks, that was my follow up question about the portals.

I've seen several versions of tutorials since beta, kind of glad I'm not missing anything.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, it's the same one they made for Blackwood and was deliberately designed to be generic because that's when they decided to stop doing tutorials for each chapter so it's supposed to work for any version of the game and regardless of where you choose to go afterwards.

There's some issues with it (mainly that picking a base game location drops you on a starter island, where new players are likely to do all the quests, then go to the mainland where they'll pick up the main story, go through Coldharbour and end up back on the start island with no direction because they've already done the quests) but it's mostly functional as a starting point.

The thing I like best is that it makes absolutely no mention of where you came from, how or why you ended up there (other than appearing through a portal) or why you choose you next destination, so it can work for any character. A thief could have triggered a magical trap or stolen the wrong item. A warrior could have been sent there by a wizard they were fighting. A character looking for a new start could have paid someone for a quick escape and ended up there, either intentionally or by accident.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont think ive ever done the new tutorial lol, i only ran the tutorial 1 time, the OG wailing prison tutorial back in 2014 lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that it's a mistake to send you to Stros M'Kai, Bleakrock or Khenarthi's Roost. Yes, these are the starts of the Original Main Quest...

But the game doesn't tell you which is which. So a new character doing the tutorial, even if they choose to get involved in the Three Banners War, is as likely or more likely to choose the one from the wrong faction...

And it still doesn't even start the Harborage. Because that only starts as a result of a meeting with the Benefactor in your own capital city, now... and when the Wailing Prison is finished, it dumps you back on the island.

Which, if you started with the "correct faction" island, you've already completed.

that is to say: DC player does Tutorial - DC player choose Stros M'Kai - DC player completes Stros, gets sent to Betnikh - DC player completes Betnikh, gets sent to Daggerfall in Glenumbra - DC player meets Hooded Figure, deals with Benefactor, gets sent to The Wailing Prison - DC player completes Wailing Prison... and gets dumped back in Stros M'Kai.

This is just... narratively weird.

Even weirder if DC player does the Balfiera Tutorial, chooses Khenarthi's Roost, compeltes it, gets sent to Vulkhel Guard in Auridon, working for the wrong faction without even necessarily realising it, meets Hooded Figure, deals with Benefactor, does Wailing Prison... gets dumped in Stros M'Kai, a completely different faction.

Likewise if he does the Balfiera Tutorial, chooses Bleakrock Isle, passes through there and Bal Foyen, reaches Davons Watch in Stonefalls and meets the Benefactor *there*, passing through the Wailing Prison and getting dumped in his correct faction in Stros M'Kai.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suggestion: If the player wants to do the original main quest of the game - *and this should be clearly signposted as such* - there should be, not THREE windows, but ONE... and that one window leads directly to being sacrificed to Molag Bal, as if one had just been mugged in the Benefactor's house. Completing the Wailing Prison will then dump you out in your correct-faction starter island, so that the faction you start with is your CORRECT faction.

Meeting the Hooded Figure and Benefactor in the first city (Daggerfall, Vulkhel or Davons) would become the "backup plan" way of starting it, for the benefit of players who chose to start the game in a different Chapter (Morrowind, Summerset, Elsweyr, Greymoor, Blackwood, High Isle, Necrom).
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    There's some issues with it (mainly that picking a base game location drops you on a starter island, where new players are likely to do all the quests, then go to the mainland where they'll pick up the main story, go through Coldharbour and end up back on the start island with no direction because they've already done the quests) but it's mostly functional as a starting point.

I haven't played through the new tutorial except when it was first added, and that was on the PTS, but I thought we had two choices per alliance of where to begin in the base game-- either our starter zone or our first zone. I remember thinking that starting with the starter zone would lead to the problem you described.

Are you saying they took away the portal to the first zone but kept the one for the starter zone? If so, that's backwards from how I'd have done it. I guess I'll find out for myself when I get around to rolling a new Arcanist.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭
    I decided to play it.
    Figured I "Urn-ed it."
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Danikat wrote: »

I haven't played through the new tutorial except when it was first added, and that was on the PTS, but I thought we had two choices per alliance of where to begin in the base game-- either our starter zone or our first zone. I remember thinking that starting with the starter zone would lead to the problem you described.

Are you saying they took away the portal to the first zone but kept the one for the starter zone? If so, that's backwards from how I'd have done it. I guess I'll find out for myself when I get around to rolling a new Arcanist.

I thought they had both, definitely the starter islands were there. I'll check again when I roll another arcanist.
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As far as tutorials go, I think the OG wailing prison would be best.

But this one is fine. I'd never done it before. A bit boring and generic, but I enjoyed it.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I don't feel bad about 'skipping' the tutorial anymore. Each time when a Chapter came out, I always played it through to see the new design... but now I don't have to... so it saves me time. The only difference is, if you skip the tutorial, you will be teleported to the newest zone, which now is Necrom.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It hasn't changed since Blackwood, other than new portals added to the end of the tutorial for the new chapters, as they've dropped.
    Edited by Grizzbeorn on June 8, 2023 12:14PM
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • Hurbster
      Hurbster
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      If you have done it before then the only advantage of the tutorial is that it's easy to open up all the weapon and armour skill lines. It explains nothing about the story and pretty much completely ignores the main story.

When I bothered making new characters (before AwA, don't get me started) I did it once, then just ignore and talk to the hooded figure to start the game off properly.
      So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
    • barney2525
      barney2525
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      driosketch wrote: »
      So I haven't started a new character since Greymoor, and back then the tutorial was still an intro to the current chapter's story. The current tutorial looks like it was set in the Summerset chapter while being a little generic with its story. That isn't a complaint. It's a fine tutorial, and honestly, including the original, they all play the same.

Let out of your cell
      Choose a weapon
      Brief combat instruction
      Shared open area with enemies, containers, some mechanics and a boss

The thing is, I think it was Blackwood where the patch said you could now choose where you start. I took that to mean you could choose your tutorial quest, but I guess it means you choose the starter island/chapter zone you pop out.

So my question is, is this the same tutorial that's been in the game since Blackwood, or is it new for this chapter?

The new tutorial is actually very good. To answer your question first, you get to choose wherever you want to start play at the end of the tutorial (
      after you kill the final monster
      However, this tutorial can help you get all your base skills opened. At the start, pick up ALL the weapons. Also, as you go, collect every little dinky container you can find. Aside from occasional recipes you will be stocked up well on lockpicks.

Equip your first weapon and do the combat training. Then switch to a different one. Save your Primary for last. after you get into the open area STOP picking up stuff. Go around and kill the statues, gaining XP, change weapons with each fight so all skills get opened, then stick with your primary weapon style. go around getting xp until level 4. Now everything you pick up will be at level 4. DO NOT GO INSIDE YET. If you do, everything will reset, and it will see your level and decide all equipment is no long needed. There won't be anything to be obtained. Go around the entire place (still outside) to all the locations that have equipment. Pick up everything that applies to your character. Then go inside, finish the quest, get the skyshard, kill the final monster, go to the conclusion. She will talk your ear off but eventually gives you the box completing the quest and you go pick the zone you want the character to start in. I prefer Skyrim so I can get the Mage/Fighter Guilds and Antiquities tutorial done.

:#
    • Fischblut
      Fischblut
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Last time I played tutorial in Northern Elsweyr. But with this chapter, I've decided to see how current tutorial feels... I was very disappointed with lack of new video intro :o All past chapters had something.
      The tutorial itself looks ok just to teach player some basic stuff and combat. I even cried a little after hearing default game intro music when I reached Khenarthi's Roost gate - it brought many good memories from years ago :'(
      I hoped to see selection of all past chapter tutorials, at least.

I'm sorry for players who've never experienced original Coldharbour tutorial like it was meant to be. I was lucky to start playing back then, but there was still no chance to properly immerse in the story - because the original opening cinematic was removed from the game already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY6070A_hi8

It really set the mood for the story and helped to understand the feeling of my character. I really wish I saw it before completing the main quest, but I saw it years later :/
    • Necrotech_Master
      Necrotech_Master
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Fischblut wrote: »
      Last time I played tutorial in Northern Elsweyr. But with this chapter, I've decided to see how current tutorial feels... I was very disappointed with lack of new video intro :o All past chapters had something.
      The tutorial itself looks ok just to teach player some basic stuff and combat. I even cried a little after hearing default game intro music when I reached Khenarthi's Roost gate - it brought many good memories from years ago :'(
      I hoped to see selection of all past chapter tutorials, at least.

I'm sorry for players who've never experienced original Coldharbour tutorial like it was meant to be. I was lucky to start playing back then, but there was still no chance to properly immerse in the story - because the original opening cinematic was removed from the game already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY6070A_hi8

It really set the mood for the story and helped to understand the feeling of my character. I really wish I saw it before completing the main quest, but I saw it years later :/

i believe there is still a cinematic when you start the harborage quests, though it is different from that one

i believe they also had a new opening cinematic when greymoor came out (which was similar to the single player skyrim intro)
      plays PC/NA
      handle @Necrotech_Master
      active player since april 2014
    • phaneub17_ESO
      phaneub17_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Who put you in that cage and why?
    • FeedbackOnly
      FeedbackOnly
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      driosketch wrote: »
      OtarTheMad wrote: »

Thanks, that was my follow up question about the portals.

I've seen several versions of tutorials since beta, kind of glad I'm not missing anything.

I liked the one that taught me settings something off balance with a bash gives you more resources
    • colossalvoids
      colossalvoids
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      Oh how I wish we'd have original start first and then tossed into another one of our choice kinda when you were just found ashore on one of the starting islands but instead you'd just appear in some other hostile environment of choice, memory dimm and all. A lot of nice (sometimes pretty unique) content and zone space were outright deleted which is a shame.
    • Danikat
      Danikat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      As far as tutorials go, I think the OG wailing prison would be best.

But this one is fine. I'd never done it before. A bit boring and generic, but I enjoyed it.

I agree.

I think they should have just edited the end of the Wailing Prison tutorial to let you choose where you go. They could tie it into the steps where you have to use a skyshard to attune yourself to Nirn, have the Prophet tell you to visualise where you want to end up and suggest locations for you to pick from (with the choices being the same as the current tutorial offers).

That would also fix the continuity errors where various quests reference your character not having their soul, even if they haven't started the main quest.
      PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    • Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      jle30303 wrote: »
      Suggestion: If the player wants to do the original main quest of the game - *and this should be clearly signposted as such* - there should be, not THREE windows, but ONE... and that one window leads directly to being sacrificed to Molag Bal, as if one had just been mugged in the Benefactor's house. Completing the Wailing Prison will then dump you out in your correct-faction starter island, so that the faction you start with is your CORRECT faction.

Yes. Put that one Main Quest portal right next to the Chapter portal and have the main quest starting person right there telling the player they can also go meet this Benefactor. Include appropriate warnings, cautions, and provisios so the player knows they are starting a quest line. Drop them in the Wailing Prison and then put them on the appropriate starting island when they exit.

No need to get rid of the other three starting island portals, change where they go to, or remove the main quest person from the other zones. Advanced player support.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
      XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
      X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    • driosketch
      driosketch
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Who put you in that cage and why?

In the current one, your guide after you mysteriously showed up, just to be safe.

SeaGtGruff wrote: »

So I checked, yes it does only give you the starter islands or the chapters.
      Edited by driosketch on June 9, 2023 3:48PM