Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you actually like dungeons?

Soarora
Soarora
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I see a LOT… A LOT of complaints about DLC dungeons, ones I find outrageous as someone who “mains” DLC dungeons. I also see a lot of “dungeon people” move to trials, and overall ignoring of dungeons when it comes to endgame. And so I ask, do you actually like dungeons?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 28, 2023 11:51AM
PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore

Do you actually like dungeons? 196 votes

No
20%
laurajfCireousVriendaMuizerphaneub17_ESOTX12001rwb17_ESOOlauronAvalonRangerWald1narobwolf666VenscalSmitch_59RaddlemanNumber7TyharSylosiTruthSeekerTommy_The_GunDark_Lord_Kurosau02adgThe_Titan_Tim 40 votes
Non-DLC
8%
KhenarthidigibluezSilverBrideRobvenomAcadianPaladinErai_sedaiAutumnMystAscarlthe1andonlyskwexIndigogoSmokyblktaunaNorith_Gilheart_FlailMesiteAdamLADSir_Hammock 16 votes
DLC
8%
WhiteCoatSyndromeUNSekiThePlayerJierdanitAgenericnameNachoProblemJN_SlevinADespyIshtarknowsVeysaSDKTJPetendgamesmugSoaroraINMfrogthroat 16 votes
Yes
63%
Nestorfleetingyouth_ESOSuddwrathSurragardGlassHalfFullwenchmore420b14_ESOWuffyCeruleiXelyumStanelisJD2013DarkstornekwisatzDiatonicflizomicaOnnuKSirCriticalVrelanierkojouDarkheartujimax 124 votes
  • Sallymen
    Sallymen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    People will always complain about something, even if it doesn't affect them
    Current Undaunted Key Count: 4,902
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I play trials and dungeons as much as I can as I enjoy group content. Dungeons are also and excellent stepping stone to trials.
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Like them? I love them! :)
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    This is a bit of a tricky one. I like dungeons, I like puzzles, and mechanics, but I hate 4-player and 12-player content. I'd love to play content more if there was a co-op or solo rebalance for dungeons, with even weaker drops. This way my husband and I can just enjoy the quest, explore, do side bosses, etc--but without the elitists getting mad that we get the same gear.

Heck, if they had "white-rarity" gear, 80% fewer drop rates-- yet full mechanics, same health/armor on enemies, and overland-level amount of damage they dealt, we'd be happier.

We don't like being forced to play with people who get judgy about our builds or roles and their preemptive expectations, people who demand we practice on target dummies just to compete with players who care more about burning through boss mechanics entirely rather than completing those mechanics, or those who rush through the dungeon while we have to wait for dialogue to finish before getting the next step in a quest for the dungeon...

The list can go on forever.
    Forcing people to join guilds and socialize, or to group with strangers who have a different expectation for what dungeons are, is why PUGs fall apart.

TL;DR: My husband and I play together, but shouldn't lose out on the quests and story of a dungeon in how it ties into the DLCs and chapters because other players are the worst parts about playing dungeons/trials.

edit: Think about how fewer "fake" roles would infiltrate 4-player dungeon finder queues if those players could just play the dungeon solo, slightly easier difficulty to balance for not having additional support like a dps/tank/healer (unless you count companions).
    Edited by Nihilr on January 28, 2023 5:38AM
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DLC
    I’m pleasantly surprised by the results so far. Really was starting to feel like I was alone in this, glad to see that may not be the case.

@Nihilr in my experience, people don’t really get judgy in dungeons to peoples face unless things go wrong (dps is low, tank keeps dying, etc.) and if someone is judgy, the other members don’t appreciate it. It doesn’t happen very often, either. But I can understand not wanting to interact with people because judgy people are out there. Also not being able to fully listen to dialogue. I’d consider doing a DLC dungeon on normal, with any amount of players, as still enjoying them though.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    DLC
    I might have chosen the wrong option, i thought it meant my preference in dungeons which in my case is i love dlc dungeons! But yeah everyone seems to go straight to raiding, certainly not my kinda thing but yeah it is what it is. I was in pvp for years on console but we would still run dungeons and it was fun. Different culture on pc.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DLC
    I might have chosen the wrong option, i thought it meant my preference in dungeons which in my case is i love dlc dungeons! But yeah everyone seems to go straight to raiding, certainly not my kinda thing but yeah it is what it is. I was in pvp for years on console but we would still run dungeons and it was fun. Different culture on pc.

Yeah, I added more detail than just yes and no since I’ve seen people both on the forums and in-game prefer non-DLC and know people (including myself, as noted) prefer DLC. So you did answer it correctly probably. It’s interesting how console and PC cultures differ for sure.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While I like dungeons I don't like the current reward system. It takes forever to fill the sticker book. By the time that's done I'm so fed up with the place I never want to return.
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Years ago I used to love running dungeons. The artificial grind for monster helmets and best-in-slot trait gear back in the day killed it for me. I left during Morrowind and came back for Blackwood; and when I logged in after the 4 year break, I had 1,500 veteran dungeons cleared.

If you do the math and consider that 40k DPS was where the best players were around, teams with phenomenal players took around 30 minutes for most dungeons.

1,500 x 30 minutes = 45,000 minutes…
    That’s 750 hours, divide that by 24 and you get…

31 days I had spent of my life within dungeons, on repeat trying to get the right weight with the right trait, prior to group trading and before guaranteed monster helmet drops for clearing veteran, before transmutation and way before curated drops.

Dungeons in ESO are not exciting to me. The content is predictable, it’s coded to do specific things, at specific time intervals; and enemies are always in the exact same places. Even arenas have set spawns.

How can there be replay value when the content never changes?
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I don't have the attention span, once I'm bored of something I like to be able to switch to doing something else immediately. In a group setting that isn't ideal just bailing on people mid run through. When I feel like it, I'll solo them whenever, if I don't feel like completing then I can drop out without being a bother to someone else. I rarely do them nowadays unless I want Undaunted Keys, but I have most of what I want already.
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DLC
    I enjoy the vet DLCs. Theyre quite possibly my favorite content in the game.

I dont care much for the base game vets anymore. Most are well done, theyve just gotten a little boring to me.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I like dungeons, I hate the matchmaking system.
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Once I started pvp I couldn’t go back to dungeons as they feel boring and predictable by comparison. Still do them for certain gear but it’s a chore.
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I used to, but I only play them now to get gear for trials and to get transmute crystals.

It's not that dungeons are bad content. It's just that I like playing in larger groups now.
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    But I will also say, despite enjoying them I don't think they are worth doing. Unless I'm going after a specific achievement or gear set, there's little incentive to run dungeons. And yeah, I could "just for fun".... but there are things I find even more fun than dungeons.
  • OnnuK
    OnnuK
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    ESO dungeons are awesome. I only wish we got an option to have random maps. It becomes boring and most speed runners ruins the joy. I guess with "endless dungeons" I may get what I need, diablo style "random procedure generated" dungeons.
    PC/EU @onnuk, Guild: ANADOLU "|H1:guild:29269|hAnadolu|h"
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, but not motivated to run them.

Lost my motivation to run dungeons completely because as a tank I get nerfed in a different way almost every update. While ZOS keeps making newer dungeons harder and harder, making it too much effort for very little gain to run them.
  • BaalMelqartu
    BaalMelqartu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I like dungeons very much. I especially love them when I have done them enough that I know the mechanics and what to watch out for with each boss. Basically, when I know I won't be embarrassing myself in a Pick up Group/random normal. There are more complicated factors at play though that make it hard to 100% answer the poll question.
    -I entered the game in November 2021. I made great friends, love hanging out with them. Few of them are that interested in dungeons because they have been playing FAR longer than myself, have collected what they needed and have moved on to just doing zone dailies, housing, etc. They certainly don't want to go through doing veteran dungeons that can be painful such as Scale Caller Peak, Depths of Malatar, etc. Hence, phase two of complications:
    -My primary experience with dungeons is PUG Random Normals. I love playing with new builds and so always need transmute crystals. So I do random normal dungeons, queueing with PUGs at least two times a day, sometimes up to 10. It can be PAINFUL. A lot of the time I get one or two people wanting to mad dash to bosses to just finish the fight, people queueing in roles they are not entitled to, people leaving those who are new and don't understand all that to constantly die in the wake of what the rushers are leaving behind, etc etc. I LOVE the dungeons in theory but my primary experience with them is random normals and so a lot of the time, they are just something to endure. If people would be less self-centered and choose their dungeon approach based on the whole of a group(like, it being a GROUP activity that you queued for), my response would be different.
    -I always follow the tank. UGH but usually it's a fake tank but I digress.... when it is a REAL tank, I always follow them, let them take the lead. When you queue for a random normal, it is a GROUP activity and so I ensure I am acting in a "group" manner. It makes me sad to see most my random normal PUGs just rush past the tank and do their own thing and go full on "oh I don't need anyone, I am so uber." It's saddening.
    -Did not mean to ramble on so, so since I already have, I love dungeons but I am not happy that so much room has been created to make them such a crappy experience to new players.
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Yup. As a solo player, I love them. They give me a challenge for my character to overcome alone, with a companion or my friend when he deigns to log in :D

Overland is easy, with a bit of challenge added when soloing a world boss. It is nice to have things that push you more, like arenas and dungeons. I also enjoy the environments, lore and stories. Cannot go wrong with the skill points you get at the end either.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I might start liking them when they add solo versions.
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Non-DLC
    I do not enjoy dungeons, but I tolerate the nonDLC ones better. That is why I never queue for random.

I will run a DLC dungeon once per character to get the skill point but that's it. I prefer solo content.
    Edited by Khenarthi on January 28, 2023 10:04AM
    PC-EU
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Dungeons are a lot of fun.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I genuinely believe ESO has the worst dungeons in the genre. But I also hate dungeons in general, both in MMO's and single player games. With a few exceptions that I can't -quite- place why I like them.

I tolerate the non-DLC ones and cancelled my eso+ sub to narrow down my dungeon pool to just those and the imperial city ones I sadly can't get rid of.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Yes :smile:

And I love the balance ESO strikes these days by making group content like dungeons entirely optional, unlike other MMOs. I don't have much spare time to dedicate to dungeons, because between a busy career, a newborn, and a toddler, I don't find myself confident that I can dedicate an entire hour uninterrupted to the game. I need to be ready to leave the PC at a second's notice. So while I love healing in vet dungeons for the challenge, I spend the majority of my time in ESO questing and exploring solo.

I would LOVE to see a future update to the game allow us to bring 3 companions with us into dungeons. Because I would absolutely use that on my first playthrough of new dungeons on normal mode to soak up the story and atmosphere, learn the mechanics a bit, before jumping into healing them in vet mode with other players. It would also provide the "story" mode for dungeons a lot of players are asking for, without the need to rebalance them. And it would provide a solid reason to engage with, level up, and gear up, multiple companions. We'll soon have 6 of them so it would be great to provide more incentive to keep making use of them.
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I like dungeons for the most part. I just wish they redo their transmute reward system and actually fix their dungeon queue.

They can be fun with people, who joke around, know their role well, and generally wants to progress, and the flip side you have the people who dies to every AoE, tanks who tank as well as companion, and healers who take like 10 seconds before they heal you when you're like 25% HP.

But I still prefer them over trials but its easier to work with 3 other people than 11 and the recovery is usually better as well.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Not if dps has 30k health though
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want them to start allowing us to use our companions as player replacements like FFXIV does!! Why should I have to only be able to use ONE companion when I want to solo a dungeon?!? We have FOUR companions and more on the way. It's about time that ZOS starts allowing players to play HOW they want when it comes to dungeons. I mean, players that enjoy playing with others will not suddenly start using companions, they will continue to run with other players. However, for those of us who prefer to do everything solo, it would allow us to further enjoy the game.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, but I don’t play them very often. Most of my friends moved on from ESO a long time ago so I mostly do solo overland content. I like the storylines behind the DLC dungeons a lot. White Gold Tower is my favorite.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    While im not particilary fond of dungeon, i dont mind them being there for other people who like them
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post