Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PC EU Hardware Update – August 2022

• Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You're doing the same thing again. The fact that you don't see certain things happening, doesn't mean it is not a problem. It heavily depends on what you play and where. Cyrodiil is a frigging mess. It's not too long ago there was a 'Is PC EU down again?' topic with more pages than should be possible.
    Jazraena wrote: »
    Are we pretending any ESO server ever had frequent rollbacks?

Same thing. Search the forum. ESO had multiple periods where rollbacks were a recurring problem. There were moments where I had 3 a day and I'd just log off angry. Not saying it was last week. Just saying it happened.

Do not decide for other people which issues are a problem for them. This is not your birthday topic.
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    *cough* "R.I.P. PC EU" finally locked last year because "reasons"...

Anyway... post is about EU server replacement, which will happen somewhere before next chapter and there is nothing to be done for it. (all this deliveries and data transfers and tests - there is enough said on the forum)

Am I happy - No. Am I surprised - also No.

Actually my opinion leaning more toward to: when planning was made initially, someone just put 10 years for server replacement in documentation because "We'll see..." and we are getting servers ahead of initial schedule*.

*(of the type Garage Inc.).

• Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katheriah wrote: »
    You're doing the same thing again. The fact that you don't see certain things happening, doesn't mean it is not a problem. It heavily depends on what you play and where. Cyrodiil is a frigging mess. It's not too long ago there was a 'Is PC EU down again?' topic with more pages than should be possible.
    Are we pretending any ESO server ever had frequent rollbacks?

Same thing. Search the forum. ESO had multiple periods where rollbacks were a recurring problem. There were moments where I had 3 a day and I'd just log off angry. Not saying it was last week. Just saying it happened.

Do not decide for other people which issues are a problem for them. This is not your birthday topic.

So what, are we talking about the terribleEU Server being liable to break down at any given moment, or about lag issues in Cyrodiil? Are we talking about the continuously longer maintenance followed by login issues we had a few years past that affected one monday every 4 weeks? What are we talking about?

This is precisely the sort of hyperbole I mean.
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    We are talking about performance issues. It's not that difficult honestly.
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, we're talking about hyperbolic statements about performance issues.

No matter if someone's world is seemingly ending because he can't play on patch day, such outages are largely insignificant to a company as long as the servers otherwise run mostly smooth. It's not going to drive decisions, because overall, it is working. The singular continuous exception to this is Cyrodiil which they did analyze, deducted that hardware upgrades would be insufficient, and eventually decided to take the far weighter decision to rewrite the server side code. Forum Outrage?

Don't kid yourself. There is always some sort of forum outrage, most of it pointless, and thus no matter what you, I or anyone else think about a given topic, the forum outrage alone will also not drive ZOS' decisions; least if all while their internal metrics still show their servers having a 99.5% uptime.
  • ajkb78
    ajkb78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update @ZOS_MattFiror. To all those whining about the delay (and I'm the first to give ZoS a hard time when they do something dumb through their own fault, like the Update 35 combat changes, but in this case I'm willing to believe there's nothing more they can really do):

1. Yes, it's a shame.
    2. Server parts are like rocking horse *** at the moment. The extended backorder time is entirely unsurprising.
    3. Why did PC NA get the upgrade first? Well where are ZoS based? If you're rolling something out on this scale you do it on the installation that's easiest to access first. If there are delays or if something goes wrong it's much easier to fix it when you aren't an ocean away from your main company site. Subsequent rollouts are much lower risk because you've done it once already. So it's nothing to do with server load, and all about de-risking the rollout. Is it a shame that PC EU and the console servers are going to take so long? See (1) above.

But that's the hardware side, and ZoS always said that was more about capacity than performance. Please can we have an equivalent update on the game core rewrite that is supposedly the real key to improving performance and especially PVP and trial lag? You said at the start of the year that it would take around a year: is it still on track for the Q4 or maybe Q1 2023 update?
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jazraena This game should have been in a working condition in 2014, when it was first sold to customers. It had been in development for seven years before its release in 2014. How are we supposed to believe anything they say after 15 years of sleeping on the "Online" part of "The Elder Scrolls Online"?
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lebkuchen wrote: »
    @Jazraena This game should have been in a working condition in 2014, when it was first sold to customers. It had been in development for seven years before its release in 2014. How are we supposed to believe anything they say after 15 years of sleeping on the "Online" part of "The Elder Scrolls Online"?

I remember it did work in 2014 and Cyro pop was huge. Then they started tinkering with the eternal balancing.
    At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Whataboutism.
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Whataboutism.

[Snip] I am here because i would really like to play this game, especially big PvP fights in Cyrodiil. But the people you are defending, understanding and quoting as if they knew what they are doing robbed me of this dream. They have managed to waste a lot of potential and time by ignoring performance issues and bugs for way too long. Every year we get some promise of a miracle solution, and every year it gets worse because they love to "work on it" but can not seem to find a way to fix it. After 15 years of development! I would really love to send you my Playstation and let you play on Gray Host EU. Just so you can see where all the frustration comes from. And this is not some kind of discussion strategy or way to twist words or gaslighting or whatever. It's just what a lot of players are feeling at the moment, and have been feeling for years. Frustration. Again, most of us are not here to win a discussion or be annoying! We want our beloved game to work as good as it deserves, and show the company that whatever they are doing is not enough. I do not understand how this can be so controversial.

[Edited for Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on September 1, 2022 5:00PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think they need a better hardware supplier....
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Whataboutism.

[Snip] I am here because i would really like to play this game, especially big PvP fights in Cyrodiil. But the people you are defending, understanding and quoting as if they knew what they are doing robbed me of this dream. They have managed to waste a lot of potential and time by ignoring performance issues and bugs for way too long. Every year we get some promise of a miracle solution, and every year it gets worse because they love to "work on it" but can not seem to find a way to fix it. After 15 years of development! I would really love to send you my Playstation and let you play on Gray Host EU. Just so you can see where all the frustration comes from. And this is not some kind of discussion strategy or way to twist words or gaslighting or whatever. It's just what a lot of players are feeling at the moment, and have been feeling for years. Frustration. Again, most of us are not here to win a discussion or be annoying! We want our beloved game to work as good as it deserves, and show the company that whatever they are doing is not enough. I do not understand how this can be so controversial.

Oh, believe me, I feel you. I often enough just give up playing my Stamblade in Cyro not because it's weak, but because playing melee far too often feels like I'm fighting the game instead of my opponents. I'm no less frustrated.

But lashing out at ZOS for a hardware update delayed beyond their control that's, by their own words, not going to notably improve matters anyway is pointless and in the sum of all the others does nothing but harm the credibility of complaints that are actually solid.

Instead, I'd like for them to give us an update on the rewrite, even though I expect it's only some variation of "We're working on it" due to the sheer scope. But even such updates are important, and I wish ZOS would finally realize that.

[Edited quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on September 1, 2022 5:02PM
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of the code rewrite... Did they mention anything about that since January?
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe so, sadly.
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been some reference to it I in the thread and elswhere bunt nothing more than they are working on it.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are going to swap servers for they needs for new game. About code rewritting... Lol... You think that people that made an unscalable system is going to solve the mess they did? From my experience, forget it. Keep using MySQL or mariadb for this kind of works without a big and good team (like in twitter) and good luck with the maintenance and the results.
  • Dangranma_Burgrukgad
    Dangranma_Burgrukgad
    ✭✭✭✭
    coletas wrote: »
    They are going to swap servers for they needs for new game.

This ^^^^^

People focusing on HW shortage but he said that they will have it in 10 weeks > early November they will have all

Then 5 month to assemble and test it?
    Do you really think they will need all that time just for ESO?

In my opinion the new servers are for a new game, just a small part will be dedicated to the dying ESO.

• Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrLasagna wrote: »

This ^^^^^

People focusing on HW shortage but he said that they will have it in 10 weeks > early November they will have all

Honestly?

Yeah. I do.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrLasagna wrote: »

This ^^^^^

Yes. An estimate in 1Q2023 is reasonable.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can you at least answer why you gave NA the upgrade first, when EU has historically (and continues to have) the most problems and has the higher population (based on previous comments from ZOS)? To stay silent as you done so far just makes this seem incredibly Americentric, which is not exactly a great look.

Idk about that we spent 10 days on update 33 where the game was unplayable for mostly imagine waiting 5 mins to put 1 item up for sale?

Your group finder still gets replacements while ours has been broken since update 33 fixes.
  • DreadKnight
    DreadKnight
    ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile Xbox has been down for hours, server issue no doubt.

Is difficult to understand how the management team didn't forsee the ageing server issue years in advance, when the player base certainly did.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I'm sure they did see it. If they didn't I really would despair.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any update on the recode from the announcement in January? That is 8-months with no update at all.
  • Paske
    Paske
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for update Matt

Horrible news. But at least we have some news.
  • SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭
    So they plan to do it in august of 2022 ?
    Disappointed. But if even they use it for different game - IF to much player lose trust in them - with all their actions on current games - I do not think it will help them develop new games.
    Edited by SPR_of_HA_community on November 14, 2022 7:51AM
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    "We'll check in towards the end of the year with an update and a firmer date."

?
  • msteentjes
    msteentjes
    ✭✭✭
    Now that we are well under way on our server hardware upgrade project, it's time for an update. Most of you reading this know that we successfully replaced the PC North American megaserver's hardware back in May, and we have been hard at work planning, ordering, and preparing for the PC European server upgrade.

The last time we gave you an update, I mentioned that timelines to order, prepare, and configure this amount of hardware would take many months, and unfortunately those timelines have only gotten longer. Even though we ordered the hardware for PC EU long ago, we still are waiting for some critical parts, some of which are foundational to the whole service.

To be completely transparent, it will take about ten more weeks before all the pieces are delivered. Then the process of building and testing begins, which takes weeks longer. Based on what we know today, we anticipate everything being updated, tested, and running the live version of the game around March 2023. We expect the hardware upgrade for the console servers to be sometime soon after that.

I know this probably isn't the news you all wanted to hear - we are in the same boat. We all want this process to be faster than it is possible to be. We will continue to do this absolutely as quickly as we can, as soon as we can.

We'll check in towards the end of the year with an update and a firmer date. Until then, thanks for the patience.

In the mean time I renewed my subscribtion with a year and straight after, only crashes, other bugs and servers shutting down.
    Nice going, Last time I subscribed to this mess, and why a year between NA and EU? especially since EU has most problems and probably heaviest load.

I feel really screwed, we pay the same fee, and have to do with a crap server and 40fps or less in gonfolon bay in high isle for instance.

I've been playing this game for 3 months now, put about 300 euros in it for collection edition, several crown packs and 3 months subscription, and now a renewel on top of that.
    I could have gotten at least 5 AAA titles for that amount.

If I had known it was this much of a mess before...
    a shame, I liked the game, but I begin to hate it now... ESO experience has ruined the elder scrolls for me.

Regards,
    Marcel
    The Netherlands
    I'm a dutchie, an introvert person, but I do like to get in contact ingame, just are quickly overwhelmed when too many people are asking or saying things at once.I'm a very sensitive en emphatic person. Eso is my first mmorpg.I used to play only single player like the witcher series, skyrim, assassin's creed, tombraider and such.but after 5 skyrim playthroughs and a successor years away I thought to give Eso a try.You can always message me, I don't always respond very quick, but DO respond when I see I have a message, I'm just not that active on the forum or discord, only when playing with others.
  • msteentjes
    msteentjes
    ✭✭✭
    And I can't even get a refund for my year subscription which hasn't gone in yet because my 3 month sub runs to half december.

If I could get that, I would give you a last chance by taking it 1 or 3 months a time..

Now, you lose a customer when my sub runs out, maybe even sooner.

And was planning to buy crown packs, but that's off the rails now..

I'm fed up with this, 2,5 months playing, atleast 300 euros invested. all gone...

Thanks ZOS/Bethesda . Way to going with your customers..
    I'm a dutchie, an introvert person, but I do like to get in contact ingame, just are quickly overwhelmed when too many people are asking or saying things at once.I'm a very sensitive en emphatic person. Eso is my first mmorpg.I used to play only single player like the witcher series, skyrim, assassin's creed, tombraider and such.but after 5 skyrim playthroughs and a successor years away I thought to give Eso a try.You can always message me, I don't always respond very quick, but DO respond when I see I have a message, I'm just not that active on the forum or discord, only when playing with others.
  • Sir_Gentleman777
    Sir_Gentleman777
    ✭✭✭
    Now that we are well under way on our server hardware upgrade project, it's time for an update. Most of you reading this know that we successfully replaced the PC North American megaserver's hardware back in May, and we have been hard at work planning, ordering, and preparing for the PC European server upgrade.

The last time we gave you an update, I mentioned that timelines to order, prepare, and configure this amount of hardware would take many months, and unfortunately those timelines have only gotten longer. Even though we ordered the hardware for PC EU long ago, we still are waiting for some critical parts, some of which are foundational to the whole service.

To be completely transparent, it will take about ten more weeks before all the pieces are delivered. Then the process of building and testing begins, which takes weeks longer. Based on what we know today, we anticipate everything being updated, tested, and running the live version of the game around March 2023. We expect the hardware upgrade for the console servers to be sometime soon after that.

I know this probably isn't the news you all wanted to hear - we are in the same boat. We all want this process to be faster than it is possible to be. We will continue to do this absolutely as quickly as we can, as soon as we can.

We'll check in towards the end of the year with an update and a firmer date. Until then, thanks for the patience.

Matt,

it is December now, in 3 weeks the holiday season starts and i guess nobody will care about writing an update then. So do you have any updated timeframes or at least some meaningful update on the situation?

@ZOS_MattFiror

Regards,

Tom
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any news on this? Server performance is at an all time low. I cant even leap with my werewolf anymore without lag across all content.