The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PSA - New broken set that will make you or your enemies unkillable.

Mayrael
Mayrael
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Mara’s Balm – Heavy
2 – Adds 1487 Armor
3 – Adds 424 Critical Resistance
4 – Adds 4% Healing Taken
5 – When a negative effect is removed from you, restore 2111 Health. When you take damage and have 6 or more negative effects, cleanse all negative effects. This effect can occur once every 15 seconds.

Where to get it? New Rewards for the Worthy

In case ZOS, disregarded the issue as standard, below I am posting the new set and information on how it works.

So the description of this set is a bit misleading. For what is stated as "When a negative effect is removed from you, restore 2111 Health." means only that when such an effect ends. This means that it is not at all necessary to actively cleanse yourself of the effect for the heal to work.
What activates this part of the set?
Any ending debuff or negative effect that was placed on our character. This means, for example, that every channeled skill, ending DoT, hard and soft CC, all heal us. As a curiosity, I can say that, for example, Puncturing Strikes procs this set with every hit healing the target while dealing damage to it.

Ironically on a Templar this set has the most potential, because every time we use Extended Ritual in PvP we additionally heal ourselves for almost 6k with battle spirit (if we have negative effects on us, of course).

Why am I writing about this? Because as @Firstmep mentioned defensive sets are often overlooked and this one is one of those beyond broken, in addition it will be used by every 1vXer, streamer, etc. etc.

If the set will be properly fixed before releasing to live - praise ZOS. If, on the other hand, it will be there in its current form, it would be better for everyone to know of its existence - fair play.

All the best dear friends! :)

TLDR;
OP Defensive set everyone will be running - it's new Crimson on steroids.
Where to get it? New Rewards for the Worthy.
Say no to Toxic Casuals!
I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • ZiggyTStardust
    ZiggyTStardust
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine it was inteded to function like this.
    It either needs a cooldown on it, or only work with actual purges.
    As it is it's ridcoulus, and will force you to run high damage skills without any attacked negative effects.
    It as broken than the pre nerf nocturnals ploy, if not more in certain circumstances
    Edited by ZiggyTStardust on August 11, 2022 11:06AM
    Options
  • Memory_In_Motion
    Memory_In_Motion
    ✭✭✭✭
    so if puncturing strikes proc the set then i have 14 seconds to end you in pvp?
    Options
  • ThirdEye_PULSE
    ThirdEye_PULSE
    ✭✭✭✭
    As it is it's ridcoulus, and will force you to run high damage skills without any attacked negative effects.
    It as broken than the pre nerf nocturnals ploy, if not more in certain circumstances

Wouldnt only working with purges only make it effective for Warden/Templar?

Either way, this set is broken. Only reason it made it this far in PTS was that somehow Nocturnals Ploy was even more concerning and broken lol.
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Each hit from Puncturing Strikes imposes a 40% snare on the target, simultaneously causing it to refresh. The effect? Each hit from Puncturing Strikes deals damage and triggers set healing at the same time. This part of the set "When a negative effect is removed from you, restore 2111 Health." does not have a cool down so 1 use of puncturing strikes activates healing 3 times. The effect? In some situations it may be that your Puncturing Strikes will deal less damage than this set heals as a result your opponent's health may go up instead of down.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It is the "cleanse all negative effects" that has a cooldown, not the heal.
    Options
  • ZiggyTStardust
    ZiggyTStardust
    ✭✭✭

Either way, this set is broken. Only reason it made it this far in PTS was that somehow Nocturnals Ploy was even more concerning and broken lol.
    It would also work with necromancer (they have hexproof/expunge and modify as well as Renewing Undeath). It would also work with any class using the Alliance War purge, or if a support is purging.

It would be very strong if it worked only with purge skills, but maybe not broken, since you would be limited to your skill cooldowns, so at best it would be a 6k heal on ritual, which is incredibly strong but rather costly, or
    a slightly smaller heal on a necro who can also spam it as long as debuffs are present since it's literally free with hexproof.
    Incredibly powerful no doubt, but far from being as broken as it is right now
    Edited by ZiggyTStardust on August 11, 2022 1:03PM
    Options
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for this.

Btw someone mentioned using hard hitting skills without negative effects? Yeah doesnt actually work like.

Every damage type can inflict status effects, and most skills have some negative effect tied to them, even if not obvious at first.
    Even something like dizzy swing, once the target is off balance or cooldown, applies and reapplies a snare if it cant inflict off balance on the target.

Most spammable have some kind of negative effect like armor shred, status effect etc, and even if not, you will still apply negative effects from enchants and the like.

Like, in order to try to counter this set, you would have to play so restrictively, that you are gimping yourself even more.

The set needs a cooldown on the heal, period.

I mainly play solo or small group, when not in bgs, and i think this set would be bad for the health of pvp.
    Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    okay, we have about a million cheese gear things in the game...here comes one more...
    giphy-downsized-large.gif

there's always been a small percentage (10 to 15% maybe) of the player base in pvp being geared up in whatever the latest META sets are...

it seems nowadays, there's simply more cheese available for everyone...

the stuff is just easier to get a hold of now instead of being buried in some DLC dungeon or within a Trial...
    Edited by geonsocal on August 11, 2022 5:19PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
    Options
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    okay, we have about a million cheese gear things in the game...here comes one more...
    giphy-downsized-large.gif

there's always been a small percentage (10 to 15% maybe) of the player base in pvp being geared up in whatever the latest META sets are...

it seems nowadays, there's simply more cheese available for everyone...

the stuff is just easier to get a hold of now instead of being buried in some DLC dungeon or within a Trial...

These sets should go back to having a percentage chance to proc. Either that or much longer cool downs.
    Options
  • MaraxusTheOrc
    MaraxusTheOrc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If burst is king, and the proc only occurs every 15 seconds, I guess I'm wondering how impactful it really is? Couldn't you just...idk, trigger the set, open your 15 second window, and go ham?
    Options
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Burst may not be king after Oakensoul gets nerfed, we'll see.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Necro can remove four negative effects per GCD for less health than this set heals for.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If burst is king, and the proc only occurs every 15 seconds, I guess I'm wondering how impactful it really is? Couldn't you just...idk, trigger the set, open your 15 second window, and go ham?

But, if you have any effects that wear off or reapply during that 15 second window, your opponent is getting a heal for each that ends.

Say, you hit them with FP. All of the status effects that can apply, plus a weapon poison maybe, start throwing dots, a stun, immobilize, debuffs being refreshed, etc. All of that being refreshed on the target will apply the heal. And especially debuffs being refreshed, which happens constantly during combat.

That 15 seconds is just the cool down for the purge and larger heal. This set will be applying constant healing throughout the fight in its current state.
    Options
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The 15 second cooldown doesnt apply to the heal only the autopurge.
    Options
  • Redguards_Revenge
    Redguards_Revenge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Remember when they had oblivion with no cooldown on the PTS. People said it would be OP and they added a cooldown to the heal before it went live. Why do they keep making the same mistakes? I just wonder sometimes if there is a revolving door.
    Options
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That should pair well with Necro Resistant Flesh, it heals you, puts a 4sec defile on you, cleanse the defile for another heal, repeat. All the while the Necro passive turning these magicka skills into stamina return. Cheezalicious.
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spread the word folks, this set needs to be toned down before life. If it isn't, abuse it without any hesitation :)
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

Options
  • Raammzzaa
    Raammzzaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the 5th line procs from 6+ negative effects will it proc the explosion from plaguebreak?
    Options
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To put it into a clearer context...

'Every time a Templar Jabs you, heal 8k.' Why? Because as the OP explained, the set reads:

Whenever a negative effect is removed from you, either through cleansing it, the timer expires OR the same negative effect is applied, causing the original to be removed - heal for 2k. So when a Templar Jabs you:
    Templar Jab hits you for 2k damage, you are slowed 40%.
    Templar Jab hits you for 2k damage, you are slowed 40% which removes the first slow causing you to be healed for 2k.
    Templar Jab hits you for 2k, repeating the above so you're healed for 2k
    Templar Jab hits you for 2k, heal for 2k etc.
    Templar doesn't Jab you and the original slow expires, healing you for 2k meaning you were dealt 8k and... healed for 8k.

Remember, the set has TWO abilities:
    1. Heal for 2k when a negative effect expires (either it wears off, it overwritten by the same one causing the first to be removed or you purge/cleanse it).
    2. On a 15 second cooldown (of which the heal is not) get a free purge next time you take damage.
    Options
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So now we have one set that damages everyone when you cleanse a status effect and another that heals you. Interesting combo.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zuboko wrote: »
    So now we have one set that damages everyone when you cleanse a status effect and another that heals you. Interesting combo.

Yep, and guess what effect all these revolving door calculations are going to have on performance?
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raammzzaa wrote: »
    When the 5th line procs from 6+ negative effects will it proc the explosion from plaguebreak?

technically yes, but plaguebreak itself is now on a 20 sec cooldown from being affected by it, so if this purged it your home free from plague for between 10 and 20 sec (the normal plague dot lasts for 10 sec, so anytime during then you could explode)

if you are by yourself with few or no allies around you, the plague explosion is not that strong, and might even be countered entirely by maras balm

realistically i dont see plague being that effective anymore outside of large group fight where its stacking with occult overload
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broken proc set? Nonsense they balanced proc sets a year ago by making them scale off stats remember?

How could there ever be an overperforming proc set that's preposterous.

Jokes aside I can't comprehend how zos finally changed proc sets a year ago due to constant talks about them overperforming and then they continue to release clearly overpowered proc sets again as if we hated being in a procalypse in PVP for years. And they STILL continue to release more and more terrible proc sets in the game

Hrothgar's chill, Dark convergence, Caluurions legacy, Plaguebreak, Nocturnal's Ploy, Mara's Balm

Let's keep introducing "balanced" procs into the game zos why don't we? Cause we clearly love proc sets in PVP
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok. So this set went live without any adjustments so feel free to abuse the hmmm out of it.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

Options
  • Dem_kitkats1
    Dem_kitkats1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ugh, ZOS, please stop with the extremes. It's OK for people to die. And it shouldn't take 10 players with high burst to do it. Therein lies your skill gap.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Ok. So this set went live without any adjustments so feel free to abuse the hmmm out of it.

Going to be hilarious on a PvP troll tank with 10 people parsing on you and stacking negative effects.

Anyone check to see if the heal is modified by CP, healing taken %, Minor and Major Mending, Argonian passive, etc?
    Options
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that we are planning to reduce the healing done from this item set in the next incremental patch, which is currently scheduled for the week of September 5.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • danthemann5
    danthemann5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that we are planning to reduce the healing done from this item set in the next incremental patch, which is currently scheduled for the week of September 5.

Not enough, not soon enough. You were warned weeks in advance that this would be a problem, and it was ignored.

Try again.
    ZeniMax has no obligation to correct any errors or defects in the Services.

Greetings! We've closed this thread due to its non-constructive nature.

"You know you don't have to be here right?" - ZOS_RichLambert
    Options
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well; hopefully players see that before going and golding out a set. Not because I don't want them to waste their time and get upset when its nerfed; I'lll laugh at that. But because I don't want to see this ridiculousness for even a very short bit
    Options
  • sbr32
    sbr32
    ✭✭✭✭

If only there had been some feedback prior to today that this was a problem
    Options