The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Time for a Cleansing Ritual change

• SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This also had a significant change in pvp healing. Templar healers used to BiS in pvp and now they're not often wanted because of the PB risk due to the cleanse utility.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    Wolfpaw wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_Kevin

I apologize for the @zos knock, but Cleansing Ritual is getting out of hand in Cyrodiil. Gaining popularity, is the use of Cleansing Ritual to intentionally Plague break bomb "friendly" players/faction. These players are spamming this skill, placing Purify Synergy above all.

Please reduce the size of Cleansing Ritual to a 6meter area, 12 is unnecessary.

Edit: Cleansing Ritual a group only synergy, Purify.

Thank you.

It has its uses in PVE. Not sure why PVP should dictate balancing decisions for the entire game. IMO it is fine as is.

Doesn't need to be that big in pve though?

Yes it kind of does. It's a healing spell, it heals over time. The entire raid group + boss need to be able to stand in it but it also has to leave room to move around inside it because you wouldn't want to be standing in fire. It is the same size as any other area of effect heal too.

The spell is fine as it is.

Compare it to other classes of heals. It's literally largest heal in the game
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I apologize for the @zos knock, but Cleansing Ritual is getting out of hand in Cyrodiil. Gaining popularity, is the use of Cleansing Ritual to intentionally Plague break bomb "friendly" players/faction. These players are spamming this skill, placing Purify Synergy above all.

Thank you.

It has its uses in PVE. Not sure why PVP should dictate balancing decisions for the entire game. IMO it is fine as is.

Yes it kind of does. It's a healing spell, it heals over time. The entire raid group + boss need to be able to stand in it but it also has to leave room to move around inside it because you wouldn't want to be standing in fire. It is the same size as any other area of effect heal too.

And other class heals can be aimed at a target location while Cleansing Ritual cannot. What is your point?
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Reaver999
    Reaver999
    ✭✭✭
    Reaver999 wrote: »
    I still see plenty of people cleanse in PvP as well as healers dropping ritual everywhere. Check your debuffs before you cleanse. If I have to cleanse PB I run out of group or before I cast ritual I check my debuffs. Chances are players are not realizing what they are doing. I doubt it is malicious and one must keep in mind that not every player might be familiar with animations and debuff icons because they just want to mess around and have fun and don't take it that seriously. Besides, you can't dictate how other people play or if they can or can't use skills that you may not agree with. If groups exploding from PB is the problem then stay away from stacked groups. If you are in a ball group, well then the set is serving its purpose. I don't think nerfing anything is the answer. Besides, taking away a cleanse from a templar is like taking away cloak from a nb, it is part of the classes identity.

I never said take away cleanse from the Templar, PB friendly faction trolls are only a small problem of cheaters.

You see Ritual everywhere because it blankets everything, especially the more important synergies like damage, heals, & resource gain.

My comment was more of a blanket comment about the issues people are having with ritual, if any, throughout the thread and not just based on what you are saying. Some have mentioned getting rid of cleanse, nerfing it, reducing its size etc...But nerfing the cleanse of ritual, it's size, it's healing...is like nerfing the identity of the templar. I get it about priority of the synergy as think it's kind of annoying as well, but I don't think that is any reason to nerf a skill especially since it will affect PvE as well. I really don't think it is that big of a deal, but that is just my opinion. I get hit by PB, sometimes it kills me, but not so often it's a big deal. Sometimes I can't grab an orb or something because of another synergy, but such as life. Unless they create some kind of way to choose your synergy someone will always be upset about that. There are add ons if you are on pc, I think a few were mentioned in the thread. Personally I thought DC was way more annoying than the PB/cleanse stuff going on. Definitely not as bad as it was when it first dropped. It's the game, it creates a challenge that requires an adjustment in play style. If it isn't one thing it is another. I think ZOS has some bigger issues to tackle when it come to PvP. I wouldn't worry too much since PB will most likely be old news next patch (if it stays the same). Plenty more broken sets will flood PvP.

" 'Member when PB used to be a thing?"
    "I 'member..."
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Change PB. Templars do not need another skill nerf.

The size of the heal is perfect in a PVE situation. Sorry, but as someone who both PVPs and PVEs, I don't want my PVE game messed up by a poor request for a change when the skill is not the real problem.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • pleximus
    pleximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I apologize for the @zos knock, but Cleansing Ritual is getting out of hand in Cyrodiil.

Gaining popularity, is the use of Cleansing Ritual to intentionally Plaguebreak bomb "friendly" players faction, &/or spamming this skill by placing Purify Synergy above all other synergies, canceling all other synergies, to help the enemy faction(s).

Please reduce the size of Cleansing Ritual to 6meters
    or
    Make Cleansing Ritual a GROUP only synergy, Purify
    or
    Make Purify synergy priority below all other synergies

Edit: accommodate pve feedback

Thank you.

Absolutely not! Keep it the way it is! Not everything is made for pvp!
  • xXSilverDragonXx
    xXSilverDragonXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm willing to believe some players are being malicious, but imagine more are just used to casting the skill. Others view it as the best purge available, as it's selectable by the user.

It's also a good HoT for placing under ram or other areas where there is consistent, incoming damage.

If someone wanted to be more markedly malicious, they could use Purge. Purge hits an area, and doesn't give friendlies an option. They could use Curse Eater, which offers no to little visual cue that it's being used.

Too, there's plugins that block synergies, or certain synergies.

The issue isn't really the class; it's the item set. :/

One of the reasons that it'd be nice to have Oakensoul separated from ww is it lets them be balanced separately, and similar reasons which HackTheMinotaur outlined rather eloquently.

It's a solid heal for a large area and lasts for a decent amount of time. This makes it wildly cost effective which in PVP you don't want to waste all your mag. I'm sure it's used more for the
    Sure, make it smaller and that will be more problematic for dungeon runners who want a larger area of coverage for some heals especially in larger arena like rooms of DLC.

The majority of players are in PVE. Every time people decide a new way to screw up PVP PVE has to take a hit. Then when PVP doesn't get what it wants they act like PVE always gets what it wants. We have had so many changes just because of PVP it's not even funny.

Why this game tries to do both PVE and PVP when it has ZERO ability to balance skills across the two is beyond me. It's like a blind man trying to drive. Never gonna happen.

With all the complaints from PVP players, I'm shocked anyone who plays PVP stays at all. Really. I don't get it.

Make it a group only skill like purge/rapids, see we can meet in the middle and play under the same game.

That would be a satisfactory solution assuming they could do that.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think make it group only, but I think perhaps dialing back the priority of the synergy so it's more of a middle thing? I dunno.

I DO think skills should NOT be nerfed if people are being absolute trolls with it just because of the existence of one set. That sets a massively bad precedent.
  • pleximus
    pleximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you.

So, yours and the op's suggestion is to ruin everyone else's gameplay across servers, platforms and PvE separation? It's bizarre logic.
  • Hagrett
    Hagrett
    ✭✭✭
    A really nice qol change would be for the devs to add the ability to cycle through synergies on a hotkey so that you could choose which one to activate when stood in more than one synergy field.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hagrett wrote: »
    A really nice qol change would be for the devs to add the ability to cycle through synergies on a hotkey so that you could choose which one to activate when stood in more than one synergy field.

Agree, or in combat game options a way to opt out of certain synergies or synergy types.
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why this "rogue enemy players, posing as allies, keep subverting my groups by using heals on them" thread is still going. Nerfing a balanced skill is not the solution.

Someone make some reasonable adjustments to PB, please, so we don't have to continue to be subjected to people's conspiratorial speculations about allies in their ball groups.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kahnak wrote: »
    I don't understand why this "rogue enemy players, posing as allies, keep subverting my groups by using heals on them" thread is still going. Nerfing a balanced skill is not the solution.

Someone make some reasonable adjustments to PB, please, so we don't have to continue to be subjected to people's conspiratorial speculations about allies in their ball groups.

Try reading past the first sentence, it takes but a couple seconds. This also has to do with other synergies being buried by a lousy synergy like Cleansing Ritual's Purify synergy priority & size.

Updated original post for clarity.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on May 4, 2022 6:47PM
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Try reading past the first sentence, it takes but a couple seconds. This also has to do with other synergies being buried by a lousy synergy like Cleansing Ritual's Purify synergy priority & size.

No it doesn't, because if not for PB, you wouldn't be complaining about synergy priority or size.

You mean you updated your original post because your original reasoning makes you sound ultra paranoid.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No it doesn't, because if not for PB, you wouldn't be complaining about synergy priority or size.

You mean you updated your original post because your original reasoning makes you sound ultra paranoid.

Cleansing Ritual trolls was one out of two items I mentioned, followed by the overlapping size and priority of Purify. With something like 20 or so synergies, 90% of the time Cyrodiil all you see is Purify.

This is a forum discussion, and as the discussion evolves any reasonable feedback should be taken into consideration by updating initial post for future players that want to contribute.

Ultra paranoid... If you have nothing else move on...btw I have a NB PB bomber, and when I play him I actually very much enjoy silly Templar Cleansing Ritual spammers, that doesn't mean it's healthy for PvP.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on May 4, 2022 10:52PM
  • guarstompemoji
    guarstompemoji
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's an issue with an item set. Not...a class skill that was there before the item set, whose use and synergy is optional. :/

That said, paranoid folks are becoming...more paranoid. They're starting to target templars in groups, spread rumors, and are generally being fairly nasty. I've experienced this indirectly, seen it through chats, and so on. Healers get shamed and run out of groups, hunted down or server-blocked.

It's one item set. Don't cater to paranoid toxicity.
    Edited by guarstompemoji on May 7, 2022 9:06PM
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's an issue with an item set. Not...a class skill that was there before the item set, whose use and synergy is optional. :/

That said, paranoid folks are becoming...more paranoid. They're starting to target templars in groups, spread rumors, and are generally being fairly nasty. I've experienced this indirectly, seen it through chats, and so on. Healers get shamed and run out of groups, hunted down or server-blocked.

Yup, I won't and many others, group with Templars that cleanse.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on May 7, 2022 9:31PM
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I play Templar and Warden healers, and don't run cleanse on either or netch.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on May 7, 2022 10:37PM
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Have you considered asking them to run another skill instead of straight up ostracising someone for their class choice?
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert

Thank you.
    maxjapank wrote: »
    No

A group/player doesn't need a 12m area dot cleanse, at almost no cost.

The size of this skill is absurd, and long overdue to be adjusted with the synergies priority update. This could be handled in pts now if ZOS wants to improve Cyrodiil.

How do you know they are intentionally doing it? And furthermore if they really are intentionally doing it, why would they use Cleansing Ritual and not Purge - you know, the skill that doesn't give you a choice if you want to activate a synergy or not.

Also the synergy has been adjusted with the synergies priority update already and it was deemed most important as long as you have a negative effect on you. Don't forget PvE players are using this skill too and if they can't cleanse a lethal effect because someone is spamming orbs...

You know what is an L2P issue though? Not activating that synergy when you know you have Plague Break on you. Sure, you cannot control everyone in your zerg, but that is kind of the point of a zerg killer set isn't it?

Good perspective and questions.

I think the current design is just fine since the cleans portion requires a player to activate to get the cleans. Heck, purge has a larger radius, IIRC, and automatically cleanses players in that area. This all seems very balanced.
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If someone were really a spy, they would definitely run purge since that skill can be run by any class and it would be hard to tell where it was coming from.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    renne wrote: »

Have you considered asking them to run another skill instead of straight up ostracising someone for their class choice?

Of course.
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one skill turned Templar healers from the meta PvP healer class to the most undesirable healing class in PvP.
    Simplest solution to this problem is make it so that PB does not proc from the purify Synergy from cleansing ritual.
    Edited by SimonThesis on May 8, 2022 6:00AM
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was wrong earlier. I think this is part of what makes templar special.
  • Sparxlost
    Sparxlost
    ✭✭✭
    ooh i have a great idea remove the initial cleanse on cast and add that to the synergy and make it usable by the caster as well so we can self proc our synergy proc sets i think necromancer is the only one who can do that right now..
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Sounds like the reply a Purify Troll would give
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sparxlost wrote: »
    ooh i have a great idea remove the initial cleanse on cast and add that to the synergy and make it usable by the caster as well so we can self proc our synergy proc sets i think necromancer is the only one who can do that right now..

That's not a bad idea
  • haelgaan
    haelgaan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this, 100%
    No

• maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No

Sounds like the reply a Purify Troll would give

Sounds like your group is the only group dying to PB. Perhaps you might ask other groups what they are doing to survive.