The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Time for a Cleansing Ritual change

• Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    Wolfpaw wrote: »
    I'm willing to believe some players are being malicious, but imagine more are just used to casting the skill. Others view it as the best purge available, as it's selectable by the user.

It's also a good HoT for placing under ram or other areas where there is consistent, incoming damage.

If someone wanted to be more markedly malicious, they could use Purge. Purge hits an area, and doesn't give friendlies an option. They could use Curse Eater, which offers no to little visual cue that it's being used.

Too, there's plugins that block synergies, or certain synergies.

The issue isn't really the class; it's the item set. :/

One of the reasons that it'd be nice to have Oakensoul separated from ww is it lets them be balanced separately, and similar reasons which HackTheMinotaur outlined rather eloquently.

ZOS could make this skill group only synergy, Purify.

And then you can't be solo anymore because all of your helpful skills only work on groups. No thanks.
    As Guarstompemoji says, it's the set that's the problem not the skill. The only change ZOS could make that would make sense is lower the synergy's priority in Cyrodiil only.
    But let me ask you, what other synergy is so important in PvP it needs to be activated so much that your group keeps wiping because they accidentally use the cleanse synergy?

Every synergy is more important than Cleansing Ritual in PvP, every single one.

I am not opposed to making Cleansing Ritual synergy Purify priority at the bottom/last, added to initial post.

You are saying every single one. I'm saying not even a single one. If your build doesn't have a cleanse, you will appreciate having that synergy over something useless like Feeding Frenzy from a werewolf or Orbs. Without a cleanse you are completely open to people stacking dots on you. The only one I can see actually having a big issue with the Ritual synergy being on top is Necros who want to use their own boneyard synergy to deal damage using the Harmony trait, but I'm pretty sure that your own Boneyard has priority over everything else, including cleansing ritual.

You do realize that cleansing kills you now a large portion of the time? No one uses it, everyone heals through dots now. The synergy literally has no point anymore other than to simply be a detonator to a proc set.

Edited by Gaeliannas on April 29, 2022 8:05PM
    Options
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm willing to believe some players are being malicious, but imagine more are just used to casting the skill. Others view it as the best purge available, as it's selectable by the user.

It's also a good HoT for placing under ram or other areas where there is consistent, incoming damage.

If someone wanted to be more markedly malicious, they could use Purge. Purge hits an area, and doesn't give friendlies an option. They could use Curse Eater, which offers no to little visual cue that it's being used.

One of the reasons that it'd be nice to have Oakensoul separated from ww is it lets them be balanced separately, and similar reasons which HackTheMinotaur outlined rather eloquently.

And then you can't be solo anymore because all of your helpful skills only work on groups. No thanks.
    As Guarstompemoji says, it's the set that's the problem not the skill. The only change ZOS could make that would make sense is lower the synergy's priority in Cyrodiil only.
    But let me ask you, what other synergy is so important in PvP it needs to be activated so much that your group keeps wiping because they accidentally use the cleanse synergy?

I am not opposed to making Cleansing Ritual synergy Purify priority at the bottom/last, added to initial post.

You are saying every single one. I'm saying not even a single one. If your build doesn't have a cleanse, you will appreciate having that synergy over something useless like Feeding Frenzy from a werewolf or Orbs. Without a cleanse you are completely open to people stacking dots on you. The only one I can see actually having a big issue with the Ritual synergy being on top is Necros who want to use their own boneyard synergy to deal damage using the Harmony trait, but I'm pretty sure that your own Boneyard has priority over everything else, including cleansing ritual.

You couldn't be more wrong based off of my experiences.

I'm ok with dots on me, generally the more dots I have the stronger I get, CP.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on April 29, 2022 8:20PM
    Options
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gaeliannas wrote: »

You do realize that cleansing kills you now a large portion of the time? No one uses it, everyone heals through dots now. The synergy literally has no point anymore other than to simply be a detonator to a proc set.

That's because you are running in groups and have your healers allow you to ignore all dots. If you are playing small scale then you still need your cleanse. Sounds to me like the ballgroup is complaining that the set intended to kill ballgroups is doing its job. Ask for nerfs to Plaguebreak then and leave Cleansing Ritual alone.

Threads like this are the reason PvErs keep blaming us PvPers every time they get nerfed.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
    Options
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_Kevin

I apologize for the @zos knock, but Cleansing Ritual is getting out of hand in Cyrodiil. Gaining popularity, is the use of Cleansing Ritual to intentionally Plague break bomb "friendly" players/faction. These players are spamming this skill, placing Purify Synergy above all.

Please reduce the size of Cleansing Ritual to a 6meter area, 12 is unnecessary.

Edit: Cleansing Ritual a group only synergy, Purify.

Thank you.

It has its uses in PVE. Not sure why PVP should dictate balancing decisions for the entire game. IMO it is fine as is.

Doesn't need to be that big in pve though?
    Options
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That's because you are running in groups and have your healers allow you to ignore all dots. If you are playing small scale then you still need your cleanse. Sounds to me like the ballgroup is complaining that the set intended to kill ballgroups is doing its job. Ask for nerfs to Plaguebreak then and leave Cleansing Ritual alone.

Threads like this are the reason PvErs keep blaming us PvPers every time they get nerfed.

Sounds like you don't PvP, and that's ok, everyone's feedback is welcomed.

No you don't need a dot cleanse solo, my solo build works just fine, and definitely don't need a dot cleanse small scale. A l2p issue that can be solved by keeping your hots/buffs up & CP. You may want reread latest live combat updates & scaling from recent patch.

Purify cheaters/trolls is one problem and not the intended purpose of PB, & Cleansing Ritual synergy priority is the other larger issue.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on April 29, 2022 10:21PM
    Options
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I apologize for the @zos knock, but Cleansing Ritual is getting out of hand in Cyrodiil. Gaining popularity, is the use of Cleansing Ritual to intentionally Plague break bomb "friendly" players/faction. These players are spamming this skill, placing Purify Synergy above all.

Thank you.

It has its uses in PVE. Not sure why PVP should dictate balancing decisions for the entire game. IMO it is fine as is.

Yes it kind of does. It's a healing spell, it heals over time. The entire raid group + boss need to be able to stand in it but it also has to leave room to move around inside it because you wouldn't want to be standing in fire. It is the same size as any other area of effect heal too.

The spell is fine as it is.
    Options
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thank you.

Yes it kind of does. It's a healing spell, it heals over time. The entire raid group + boss need to be able to stand in it but it also has to leave room to move around inside it because you wouldn't want to be standing in fire. It is the same size as any other area of effect heal too.

Actually most class/weapon aoe ground hots are 8meter, not 12.
    Options
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you.

Most. But most are also not centered around your character when cast. Those that are, Blood Altar, have an even larger range. You want to hit your tank with your healing too and while you can aim Illustrious healing or Life Amidst Death, you can't do that with Cleansing Ritual and you want to be able to hit your tank with your healing as well without standing too close to them.
    I feel at this point you are really grasping at straws here if all you have to say is that the range is technically larger than most healing spells. Nerfing Cleansing Ritual is not needed.
    Options
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thank you.

Most. But most are also not centered around your character when cast. Those that are, Blood Altar, have an even larger range. You want to hit your tank with your healing too and while you can aim Illustrious healing or Life Amidst Death, you can't do that with Cleansing Ritual and you want to be able to hit your tank with your healing as well without standing too close to them.
    I feel at this point you are really grasping at straws here if all you have to say is that the range is technically larger than most healing spells. Nerfing Cleansing Ritual is not needed.

Good thing this discussion has multiple solutions for ZOS,

1. Reduce size
    2. Drop synergy priority below damage & heals
    3. Make it a group only skill

Options
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you.

1. Reduce size

4. Change nothing.
    5. Nerf Plaguebreak.

The size is perfect the way it is.
    The synergy priority drop is not a very good idea, because cleanse is still being used to get rid of oil when using rams, but that would be the least intrusive change.
    Making it a group-only skill has the same issue as the priority drop during ram sieges, aside from not even fixing the issue you are having because Plaguebreak still hits everyone around the Templar that used it, meaning your group is still going to die to the explosion.
    Options
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thank you.

1. Reduce size

4. Change nothing.
    5. Nerf Plaguebreak.

The size is perfect the way it is.
    The synergy priority drop is not a very good idea, because cleanse is still being used to get rid of oil when using rams, but that would be the least intrusive change.
    Making it a group-only skill has the same issue as the priority drop during ram sieges, aside from not even fixing the issue you are having because Plaguebreak still hits everyone around the Templar that used it, meaning your group is still going to die to the explosion.

Yes the ram with hot oils being defended, drop a purify synergy?
    Edited by Wolfpaw on April 30, 2022 1:55AM
    Options
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleansing Ritual is definitely a big problem in PvP since plaguebreak come out. And YES there are players intentionally following and bombing ballgroups and other groups of their own alliance. They have been doing this for a long time. Templar ritual is most effective because of the synergy, but they will try it with purge, netch, necro or whatever... If you ever played in a group you will know that synergies are an important part of the game, and a bad placed ritual can kill the best groups. Especially when it is lagging.

Ever wondered why ballgroups go to enemy homekeeps and other useless places most of the time? They do not want their own alliance to blow them up. Intentionally or unintentionally.

And even before plaguebreak some players would just follow groups with 19k health and try to blow them up from inside with vicious death. Hammer will always be an obvious target for this. The same people will put up a ram far away from the door, so you can not use it without losing a lot of time. They put up meatbags and ballistas where you want to place oil. They take your lancer, turn it around and block it until it is gone. And they even put up camps at stupid places to block good camp spots. They pick up scroll/hammer and give it to enemies. Destroy bridges and milegates. Stream on twitch for everyone to read enemy zonechat...

Trolls are a problem in cyrodiil, they always have been and they always will be. Spies and saboteurs are a nasty part of war. They will always find a way to be annoying.

But changing skills is not the way.

Find a way to deal with them. This can be a refreshing and interesting part of the game too.
    Options
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lebkuchen wrote: »
    Cleansing Ritual is definitely a big problem in PvP since plaguebreak come out. And YES there are players intentionally following and bombing ballgroups and other groups of their own alliance. They have been doing this for a long time. Templar ritual is most effective because of the synergy, but they will try it with purge, netch, necro or whatever... If you ever played in a group you will know that synergies are an important part of the game, and a bad placed ritual can kill the best groups. Especially when it is lagging.

Ever wondered why ballgroups go to enemy homekeeps and other useless places most of the time? They do not want their own alliance to blow them up. Intentionally or unintentionally.

And even before plaguebreak some players would just follow groups with 19k health and try to blow them up from inside with vicious death. Hammer will always be an obvious target for this. The same people will put up a ram far away from the door, so you can not use it without losing a lot of time. They put up meatbags and ballistas where you want to place oil. They take your lancer, turn it around and block it until it is gone. And they even put up camps at stupid places to block good camp spots. They pick up scroll/hammer and give it to enemies. Destroy bridges and milegates. Stream on twitch for everyone to read enemy zonechat...

Trolls are a problem in cyrodiil, they always have been and they always will be. Spies and saboteurs are a nasty part of war. They will always find a way to be annoying.

But changing skills is not the way.

Find a way to deal with them. This can be a refreshing and interesting part of the game too.

That's only a part of the problem, the priority of the purify synergy, size, & open to everyone's use is the bigger issue.
    Options
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Using the synergy from Cleansing Ritual will not explode a group. It has to be multiple people using it at the same time or multiple people dying at the same time. Necromancers could use the skill Expunge and cause the same thing. Wardens could use Betty Netch to do the same thing.

The op is asking for a nerf to a long-standing skill that is part of the Templar's identity for the silliest reasoning. But players from opposing factions could always cause groups to explode by just being a squishy target to proc VD.
    Options
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh great, yet another Templar nerf attempt
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
    Options
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    radiostar wrote: »
    Oh great, yet another Templar nerf attempt

I main a Templar support in PvP, just a request to fix a lousy outdated skill for better gameplay. Cleansing Ritual blankets everything.

It's like ordering a $50 steak, and watching your waiter cover it in ketchup...
    Edited by Wolfpaw on April 30, 2022 4:36PM
    Options
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Umm nope, run pretty much solo lately, and heal through with just a resto staff.
    Options
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I apologize for the @zos knock, but Cleansing Ritual is getting out of hand in Cyrodiil.

Gaining popularity, is the use of Cleansing Ritual to intentionally Plaguebreak bomb "friendly" players faction, &/or spamming this skill by placing Purify Synergy above all other synergies, canceling all other synergies, to help the enemy faction(s).

Please reduce the size of Cleansing Ritual to 6meters
    or
    Make Cleansing Ritual a GROUP only synergy, Purify
    or
    Make Purify synergy priority below all other synergies

Edit: accommodate pve feedback

Thank you.

That would explain a few things in PvP lately. LOL

Generally, at least for me, PB isn't a problem. I really only see a few players here and there use it. Maybe that's changing, I'd have to wait and see over the next few weeks.
    Options
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Because PvP is all that matters. And card games, apparently.
    Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I'm just a humble Ravenwatch player but it seems to me as though if everything was fine with Cleansing Ritual before Plaguebreak but not afterward... then the problem is actually with Plaguebreak and not with Ritual. Plaguebreak is literally the only thing that changed in the game so look there first for your solution to this supposed "problem."

Also Ravenwatch exists and we like Cleansing Ritual just the way that it is, thank you very much. Maybe Grey Host players should try it some time if they want a break from the cheesy gimmick sets that are frustrating them. Just a thought.
    Options
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So I'm just a humble Ravenwatch player but it seems to me as though if everything was fine with Cleansing Ritual before Plaguebreak but not afterward... then the problem is actually with Plaguebreak and not with Ritual. Plaguebreak is literally the only thing that changed in the game so look there first for your solution to this supposed "problem."

Also Ravenwatch exists and we like Cleansing Ritual just the way that it is, thank you very much. Maybe Grey Host players should try it some time if they want a break from the cheesy gimmick sets that are frustrating them. Just a thought.

Maybe read through past the first sentence if you plan to comment, just a thought.

Friendly faction PB trolls is not the only problem, and a small one compared to synergy priority + Cleansing Ritual size. Ravenwatch barely exists, I have never even seen one bar on any faction except for Mayhem.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on May 3, 2022 8:28PM
    Options
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    but Cleansing Ritual is getting out of hand in Cyrodiil

nope, it's the Plaguebreak set which getting out of hand in Cyrodiil
    Options
  • Reaver999
    Reaver999
    ✭✭✭
    I still see plenty of people cleanse in PvP as well as healers dropping ritual everywhere. Check your debuffs before you cleanse. If I have to cleanse PB I run out of group or before I cast ritual I check my debuffs. Chances are players are not realizing what they are doing. I doubt it is malicious and one must keep in mind that not every player might be familiar with animations and debuff icons because they just want to mess around and have fun and don't take it that seriously. Besides, you can't dictate how other people play or if they can or can't use skills that you may not agree with. If groups exploding from PB is the problem then stay away from stacked groups. If you are in a ball group, well then the set is serving its purpose. I don't think nerfing anything is the answer. Besides, taking away a cleanse from a templar is like taking away cloak from a nb, it is part of the classes identity.
    Options
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you expect in PvP? PvPers are like raccoons (that's a complement btw...)...they will find a way to fiddle/tweak/max out skills/gear and the like.
    Options
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reaver999 wrote: »
    I still see plenty of people cleanse in PvP as well as healers dropping ritual everywhere. Check your debuffs before you cleanse. If I have to cleanse PB I run out of group or before I cast ritual I check my debuffs. Chances are players are not realizing what they are doing. I doubt it is malicious and one must keep in mind that not every player might be familiar with animations and debuff icons because they just want to mess around and have fun and don't take it that seriously. Besides, you can't dictate how other people play or if they can or can't use skills that you may not agree with. If groups exploding from PB is the problem then stay away from stacked groups. If you are in a ball group, well then the set is serving its purpose. I don't think nerfing anything is the answer. Besides, taking away a cleanse from a templar is like taking away cloak from a nb, it is part of the classes identity.

I never said take away cleanse from the Templar, PB friendly faction trolls are only a small problem of cheaters.

You see Ritual everywhere because it blankets everything, especially the more important synergies like damage, heals, & resource gain.
    Options
  • xXSilverDragonXx
    xXSilverDragonXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, make it smaller and that will be more problematic for dungeon runners who want a larger area of coverage for some heals especially in larger arena like rooms of DLC.

The majority of players are in PVE. Every time people decide a new way to screw up PVP PVE has to take a hit. Then when PVP doesn't get what it wants they act like PVE always gets what it wants. We have had so many changes just because of PVP it's not even funny.

Why this game tries to do both PVE and PVP when it has ZERO ability to balance skills across the two is beyond me. It's like a blind man trying to drive. Never gonna happen.

With all the complaints from PVP players, I'm shocked anyone who plays PVP stays at all. Really. I don't get it.
    Edited by xXSilverDragonXx on May 3, 2022 9:32PM
    Options
  • CowNRB
    CowNRB
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe just change Plaguebreak. As someone who rarely runs in groups i like having the free purge
    Edited by CowNRB on May 3, 2022 9:38PM
    Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Maybe read through past the first sentence if you plan to comment, just a thought.

Friendly faction PB trolls is not the only problem, and a small one compared to synergy priority + Cleansing Ritual size. Ravenwatch barely exists, I have never even seen one bar on any faction except for Mayhem.

Sounds like you haven't been looking hard enough at Ravenwatch these days. We're often 3-3-3 or locked during prime time hours. Plus no lag and complete freedom from these cheesy sets. It's a good lifestyle.

Regardless, have you ever heard of RDK? You can block which synergy options are displayed so you don't mistakenly hit Purify. Maybe look into that if you find yourself or your group mates accidentally blowing each other up.

Or, you know, just ask for a change to Plaguebreak since it's literally the genesis of this "issue."
    Options
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sounds like you haven't been looking hard enough at Ravenwatch these days. We're often 3-3-3 or locked during prime time hours. Plus no lag and complete freedom from these cheesy sets. It's a good lifestyle.

Regardless, have you ever heard of RDK? You can block which synergy options are displayed so you don't mistakenly hit Purify. Maybe look into that if you find yourself or your group mates accidentally blowing each other up.

Or, you know, just ask for a change to Plaguebreak since it's literally the genesis of this "issue."

PlayStation

PB is not the Genesis of this issue as you keep trying to push. Cleansing Ritual is way too big in size or should be group only like Rapids/Purge or bottom of synergy priority. Ravenwatch is a empty tank meta dueling PvE door map on PS.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on May 4, 2022 12:03AM
    Options
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sure, make it smaller and that will be more problematic for dungeon runners who want a larger area of coverage for some heals especially in larger arena like rooms of DLC.

The majority of players are in PVE. Every time people decide a new way to screw up PVP PVE has to take a hit. Then when PVP doesn't get what it wants they act like PVE always gets what it wants. We have had so many changes just because of PVP it's not even funny.

Why this game tries to do both PVE and PVP when it has ZERO ability to balance skills across the two is beyond me. It's like a blind man trying to drive. Never gonna happen.

With all the complaints from PVP players, I'm shocked anyone who plays PVP stays at all. Really. I don't get it.

Make it a group only skill like purge/rapids, see we can meet in the middle and play under the same game.
    Options