Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Preparing for the deployment of AwA

• RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When U33 hits I'm just going to log in and load up all 18 of my characters in no particular order. I have seen from PTS that I will end up having completed very nearly every achievement I'm ever going to get on my account. After that I'll be playing without any regard to achievements or the broken zone guide, and without paying another penny.

I plan to stick to story quests and concentrate on writing fuller narratives for my characters. My no-kill character is busted, so I'm going to delete and recreate him, then try something a little different in the pacifist line.

And only when the fun stops, stop.
    PC EU
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When U33 hits I'm just going to log in and load up all 18 of my characters in no particular order. I have seen from PTS that I will end up having completed very nearly every achievement I'm ever going to get on my account. After that I'll be playing without any regard to achievements or the broken zone guide, and without paying another penny.

I plan to stick to story quests and concentrate on writing fuller narratives for my characters. My no-kill character is busted, so I'm going to delete and recreate him, then try something a little different in the pacifist line.

While main quests and such are not broken, there are a few locked out to alts from being achievement based (Taking Up the Mantle from Markarth is one example), and NPCs will have dialogue out of order or you will hear NPCs conversing among each other about what your account did and not your individual characters. Therefore the game will treat your alts not as individuals with their own stories, but as avatars as you the player. Good luck with trying to immerse yourself with that. Questing was my favorite thing, and I won't be able to stand having headphones on to hear all the immersion breaking things my alts will encounter so I'm not going to play at all until they decouple NPC dialogue and reactions from quests. I hope they will, but there have been no fixes on PTS, and not even a mention of these things even being considered bugs, so I fear the worst.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been playing since Beta... I have always look at Achievements as something you just get as you play the game. Some of them I did work on getting like the Daedric Lord Slayer title, and others I did actually try for. The past couple of weeks using this as a guide https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Achievement I have been getting some of them on my main things like Sneak Thief Extraordinaire Because I want the achievement to be on my main and not my 4th alt as the one that finally made the numerations required to complete a particular account achievement.

At this point I am going to finish up a few more that I want to get on my main, and then? Well to be honest, I will most likely play less, as currently I will play other characters to experience a different play style if i get bored with one style, switch over to another. I am certainly not going to do that any more, as i do not want my 4th alt as the one that finally made the numerations required to complete a particular achievement, so I want a change from my Nightblade not going to play my Templar. or DK, or Warden, or Necromancer due to the permanent "earned by" I don't want them to get the account achievement as I do not play them as much.

I have also started playing a couple other MMO's, when I get to the point were I would normally just play an alt.

As of now I am not done with ESO, just not as playing as I was.

Edited by majulook on March 6, 2022 6:10AM
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lauranae wrote: »
    I went for the ultimate option. On my two accounts I stripped all my characters and banked what I wanted to keep. Then all but one of my characters were deleted over the course of a week. Then on each of my two accounts I created a new vanilla character. I then stripped and banked the gear of my two old characters and deleted them. This left me with just the single vanilla characters on each account.

I then decided which account was going on standby and cancelled ESO plus for it. This leaves me with one 'live' account to play with to completion. I figure with two accounts with both EU and NA servers I will have four play throughs. Why the vanilla characters you may ask. For the simple reason I get to play with each for longer. I intend to not have any alts due to AWA.

This work i guess if you had not a crafter character.

On each of my accounts, i have the characters i play, and the character crafter. As ennoyed as i am of this new achievement system. i know i will not delete my character crafter. She learned all motifs. and can craft any set.

Arghh i hate this!! i love all my characters grrr

I did, on both accounts. I just bit the bullet. It all adds to the adventure as I am at heart a role player and a quester. Been playing since launch, and yes it was heart breaking. I just hate ZOS for this.
    heaven13 wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    On PC, my plan is to log in with each character before the update so that Kyoma's Global Achievements records what each has done, then rename the variables folder to back it up.

Then when the update goes live, I'll log in to each character one last time to consolidate all the achievements and then I'll log off and go play something else.

It'll be sad to leave after 8 years, but it will be sadder to stay.

If you're leaving over this, as I believe many will, why log in at all after it goes live? By aggregating the achievements you'll be committed to something you don't want, while leaving them alone you'll be leaving them intact in case ZOS decide at some point to row back on this. Chances are they wouldn't be able to restore aggregated accounts, but those which hadn't been aggregated would be as they were pre-Update 33. It's unlikely that they'll row back on it, but even so what would you be gaining by aggregating the achievements when you're leaving anyway?

Yep, that’s exactly my way of thinking. I do not want AwA at all so I figure if I don’t log in on anyone after, they’ll at least be preserved in their “correct” state.
    Ugh. It’s SO complicated. I HATE this. I’ve already cancelled ESO+ and it’s such a royal PITA to play without it, so I doubt I’ll be playing at all. Not giving ZOS any more money after this debacle.

I just can't understand why people are blaming ZOS for them choosing to delete their own characters. Deleting seems like a drastic measure in the first place, but blaming ZOS for needing to see one's personal account details listed in the UI a certain way is too far. All this just to preserve certain character names next to an achievement.

(Don't get me wrong, it sounds like there are a lot of bugs and problems with AWA.)

I understand being disapponted with this change, and having to mourn a sense of order. But if the name attached to an achievement on in-game UI is so important that it's making people rage, mass delete characters, and quit, that's on the player, not the game. I don't think that's a healthy attitude towards the game, or how we spend our free time.

I don't think this is about roleplaying. Or completionism. It's the bad kind of perfectionism. Perfectionism can eat up your enjoyment of anything if you let it.

When I think about my achievements only being attributed to certain characters, and sometimes not in what seems to be the right way, I just accept that it's out of my control and move on.

Your achievement files will all one day be deleted. They're essentially already gone. All you have is the time you spend, and whether you enjoyed it or not.

Edit: People are quoting this comment and explaining the problems with AWA. Like I said, I don't at all disagree that there are bugs and potential downsides to AWA. But this comment is only about people blaming the developers for their own drastic actions for the sake of account perfectionism. I'm not trying to make anyone like the game or like AWA. It's perfectly valid to dislike either of those things.
    Edited by tsaescishoeshiner on March 8, 2022 12:25PM
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kesstryl wrote: »

While main quests and such are not broken, there are a few locked out to alts from being achievement based (Taking Up the Mantle from Markarth is one example), and NPCs will have dialogue out of order or you will hear NPCs conversing among each other about what your account did and not your individual characters. Therefore the game will treat your alts not as individuals with their own stories, but as avatars as you the player. Good luck with trying to immerse yourself with that. Questing was my favorite thing, and I won't be able to stand having headphones on to hear all the immersion breaking things my alts will encounter so I'm not going to play at all until they decouple NPC dialogue and reactions from quests. I hope they will, but there have been no fixes on PTS, and not even a mention of these things even being considered bugs, so I fear the worst.

What I'm losing in this update is my characters' "to do" lists, individual achievement histories, some nice little storylines, the pleasure of dinging achievements, crafting achievement projects I've been running for years, my pacifists' zero-kill records, and so the list goes on. So many things that I value will be gone.

Narrative immersion is one of the few things this update will not break for me. There have always been lots of things in the game that are counterintuitive, incomplete, contradictory, out-of-place and out-of-sequence, and I have already developed a cast iron, lore-friendly narrative to make sense of all that apparent nonsense. A few more broken NPC comments in the game aren't going to get through to me.
    PC EU
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I went for the ultimate option. On my two accounts I stripped all my characters and banked what I wanted to keep. Then all but one of my characters were deleted over the course of a week. Then on each of my two accounts I created a new vanilla character. I then stripped and banked the gear of my two old characters and deleted them. This left me with just the single vanilla characters on each account.

I then decided which account was going on standby and cancelled ESO plus for it. This leaves me with one 'live' account to play with to completion. I figure with two accounts with both EU and NA servers I will have four play throughs. Why the vanilla characters you may ask. For the simple reason I get to play with each for longer. I intend to not have any alts due to AWA.

On each of my accounts, i have the characters i play, and the character crafter. As ennoyed as i am of this new achievement system. i know i will not delete my character crafter. She learned all motifs. and can craft any set.

I did, on both accounts. I just bit the bullet. It all adds to the adventure as I am at heart a role player and a quester. Been playing since launch, and yes it was heart breaking. I just hate ZOS for this.
    On PC, my plan is to log in with each character before the update so that Kyoma's Global Achievements records what each has done, then rename the variables folder to back it up.

Then when the update goes live, I'll log in to each character one last time to consolidate all the achievements and then I'll log off and go play something else.

If you're leaving over this, as I believe many will, why log in at all after it goes live? By aggregating the achievements you'll be committed to something you don't want, while leaving them alone you'll be leaving them intact in case ZOS decide at some point to row back on this. Chances are they wouldn't be able to restore aggregated accounts, but those which hadn't been aggregated would be as they were pre-Update 33. It's unlikely that they'll row back on it, but even so what would you be gaining by aggregating the achievements when you're leaving anyway?

Yep, that’s exactly my way of thinking. I do not want AwA at all so I figure if I don’t log in on anyone after, they’ll at least be preserved in their “correct” state.
    Ugh. It’s SO complicated. I HATE this. I’ve already cancelled ESO+ and it’s such a royal PITA to play without it, so I doubt I’ll be playing at all. Not giving ZOS any more money after this debacle.

I just can't understand why people are blaming ZOS for them choosing to delete their own characters. Deleting seems like a drastic measure in the first place, but blaming ZOS for needing to see one's personal account details listed in the UI a certain way is too far. All this just to preserve certain character names next to an achievement.

(Don't get me wrong, it sounds like there are a lot of bugs and problems with AWA.)

I understand being disapponted with this change, and having to mourn a sense of order. But if the name attached to an achievement on in-game UI is so important that it's making people rage, mass delete characters, and quit, that's on the player, not the game. I don't think that's a healthy attitude towards the game, or how we spend our free time.

I don't think this is about roleplaying. Or completionism. It's the bad kind of perfectionism. Perfectionism can eat up your enjoyment of anything if you let it.

When I think about my achievements only being attributed to certain characters, and sometimes not in what seems to be the right way, I just accept that it's out of my control and move on.

Your achievement files will all one day be deleted. They're essentially already gone. All you have is the time you spend, and whether you enjoyed it or not.

Sure, ZoS isn’t making me delete my characters. However, I am the type of person that, after a certain amount of negativity, will just cut ties. If you don’t contribute positively to my life/experience/whatever, you have no place in it.

This has been a long time coming for me. Stories have gotten more dumbed down. Performance gets worse every patch. Combat has been watered down and homogenized. The price of content remains the same despite getting less content each chapter for what will be 3 years in a row (even crown store stuff is mostly stale and recycled but still for exorbitant prices and the FOMO marketing tactic).

AwA is the straw that broke the camel’s back. I stayed for my characters, to play through quests with different choices, experience the world as someone who chose different allies or picked different paths. Some are merciful, some ruthless. I’m the kind of person who has played through other RPGs multiple times to see all the different variations I can experience so that each of my protagonists have a different world state, in varying degrees. Some choices, like with Melina, can only be done once now, ever. The lack of proper character tracking (which in ESO has always been achievements) will be a huge hindrance to that playstyle. Additionally, classes/roles I’d never done before, I practiced and improved with until they could achieve trifectas like I did with my main. Getting Mountain God on my tank was a thrill, even though I already had it on my dps and tracking trifectas without an achievement to tell you it’s done can be complicated. So that playstyle is hindered as well. It’s not at all about the name attached to the game UI and that’s a gross misrepresentation of everything being lost once AwA goes live.

The scorched earth response may seem extreme to you but the lack of communication, the complete disregard for customer feedback and, more importantly, almost absolute silence regarding known issues/bug reports tells me that ZoS has finally reached that point for me in which the negative outweighs the positive and it’s time to walk away.
    Edited by heaven13 on March 6, 2022 1:56PM
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No friend those arent the only issues.

When you are on char A npcs will talk about quests you did on char B C E
    That is insanely immersion breaking.

Addons, actual eso zone guide will be full of glitches.

One of the coolest feelings in the gane is seeing the achievement pop in when you do something like a quest. That is gone.
    Edited by francesinhalover on March 7, 2022 2:14AM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey guys.

If you quit.

Mind sending me your gold?
    Edited by karekiz on March 7, 2022 2:52AM
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »
    Hey guys.

If you quit.

THIS.
    Send any and all gold to @LoneStar2911 on PC-NA. o:)
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »
    Hey guys.

If you quit.

I'm donating it to my guilds, sorry.
    The Moot Councillor
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's happening (among other things) is that if you walk into the world with a brand new character, NPCs all around you will praise you for doing things your other characters did.

"Hail, champion of the Crucible!"
    "You were there when Alexandra Conele captured the Coral Heart."

and lots of other stuff like that.

When you meet Razum-dar in Summerset for the first time, he will recognize you as an old friend, even if that character has not set foot in AD territory, just because one of your other characters did.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you meet Razum-dar in Summerset for the first time, he will recognize you as an old friend, even if that character has not set foot in AD territory, just because one of your other characters did.

And there are hundreds of other situations like this. I don't know how they think this is ok! Do they really think players won't notice? Is it really worth gutting the stories and replayability in order to free up data space to sell us more new stuff? Why not add more data storage and keep the game as it is?

Edited by Jaraal on March 7, 2022 4:58PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What's happening (among other things) is that if you walk into the world with a brand new character, NPCs all around you will praise you for doing things your other characters did.

Look, I'm not at all a fan of how AwA is implemented, but I'm seeing this all the time and I'm not sure how true it is.

"You were there when Alexandra Conele captured the Coral Heart!" is obnoxious and Tythis says it all the time. That quest also doesn't have an associated achievement. The Quest achievements in Stonefalls are for 'The Death of Balreth,' 'The General's Demise,' and 'Sadal's Final Defeat.' That means the trigger for the Alexandra Conele line has to be completion of the quest 'The Coral Heart,' but there is no achievement associated with it. It has to go off of the quest log, which is still tracked by character.

Yes there are problems with AwA: There is definitely an achievement check associated with the end state of NElsweyr that causes Queen Khamira to show up on the throne if you have it, which is then causing problems for characters who haven't seen it yet. Yes, there is some misplaced dialogue that checks achievements, like meeting Clivia Tharn in WGT who will have unique dialogue for characters with the 'Emperor!' achievement. Yes, AwA breaks non-quest things like Melina Cassel and the WSkyrim Giant Cheese that use achievements as the only tracking system. Yes, AwA causes Delves/WBs/Dolmens (but not Striking Locales) to auto show as complete for new alts.

But there are actually very few quests that have been shown to be broken, and one of those seems more an edge case than anything else (don't start any of the subquests of 'The Spearhead's Crew' and then log out and start that same quest on an alt before finishing it on the first character). It seems that everything that people have tested works... though that's a lot of quests and there's no way everyone could have tested them all. And if there are odd dialogue quirks, that can be easily fixed after the fact since it's a backend fix to have it point to the quest log instead of the achievement log.

The major problem is things like the map autocompleting or the museum-esque events that have no alternative tracking system. If ZOS doesn't fix that before release, then those will be permanently blocked off for all characters once one has done it. Also the fact that TG and Antiquities skill lines, which did level off of achievements as well, is about to get a lot more grindy.

I get it, I'm really frustrated about the heavy-handed duct-tape implementation of AwA as well. But we shouldn't try to engage in fearmongering. The game will still be playable, and the list of the things that are not playable as intended is pretty small... even if it is really important and a big loss. Hopefully ZOS will fix those before release.
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Look, I'm not at all a fan of how AwA is implemented, but I'm seeing this all the time and I'm not sure how true it is.

"You were there when Alexandra Conele captured the Coral Heart!" is obnoxious and Tythis says it all the time. That quest also doesn't have an associated achievement. The Quest achievements in Stonefalls are for 'The Death of Balreth,' 'The General's Demise,' and 'Sadal's Final Defeat.' That means the trigger for the Alexandra Conele line has to be completion of the quest 'The Coral Heart,' but there is no achievement associated with it. It has to go off of the quest log, which is still tracked by character.

Yes there are problems with AwA: There is definitely an achievement check associated with the end state of NElsweyr that causes Queen Khamira to show up on the throne if you have it, which is then causing problems for characters who haven't seen it yet. Yes, there is some misplaced dialogue that checks achievements, like meeting Clivia Tharn in WGT who will have unique dialogue for characters with the 'Emperor!' achievement. Yes, AwA breaks non-quest things like Melina Cassel and the WSkyrim Giant Cheese that use achievements as the only tracking system. Yes, AwA causes Delves/WBs/Dolmens (but not Striking Locales) to auto show as complete for new alts.

But there are actually very few quests that have been shown to be broken, and one of those seems more an edge case than anything else (don't start any of the subquests of 'The Spearhead's Crew' and then log out and start that same quest on an alt before finishing it on the first character). It seems that everything that people have tested works... though that's a lot of quests and there's no way everyone could have tested them all. And if there are odd dialogue quirks, that can be easily fixed after the fact since it's a backend fix to have it point to the quest log instead of the achievement log.

The major problem is things like the map autocompleting or the museum-esque events that have no alternative tracking system. If ZOS doesn't fix that before release, then those will be permanently blocked off for all characters once one has done it. Also the fact that TG and Antiquities skill lines, which did level off of achievements as well, is about to get a lot more grindy.

I get it, I'm really frustrated about the heavy-handed duct-tape implementation of AwA as well. But we shouldn't try to engage in fearmongering. The game will still be playable, and the list of the things that are not playable as intended is pretty small... even if it is really important and a big loss. Hopefully ZOS will fix those before release.

You are correct that there has been a lot of fear mongering. I've even fallen victim to it, and it was all based on a couple posts in the bug reports. I think someone mentioned NPCs were in fact behaving this way and there was a difference in how the world reacted compared to live. Whether said person was basing this on an actual tested play or not, I don't know, but the bug reports is where I've focused most of my attention. The fact that there is simply not enough time to test everything is also a huge red flag in the face of what bugs were found. It's alarming for those of us who wanted to survive this huge negative change and still have the game world intact for our alts. That and ZOS being silent and not even acknowledging the bugs there, and the lack of fixes in the PTS cycles (where they could have at least acknowledged bugs like they did in the past) has just done nothing but ramp up the fear and dread. When that happens, people talk, and talk can escalate. This is the fault of ZOS who decided it was better to not communicate with us than face negative pressure and at least try to reassure us. It was cowardly.

Edited for spell check shennanigans
    Edited by Kesstryl on March 8, 2022 2:25AM
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On console so have a bit more time.

Taking all my 18 alts through Kari’s hit list, using visits to all base zones to update ESO app info about zone completion.

Created & infilling spreadsheets (the joy!!) as to what they have done i.e. MQ, Guilds, crafting, dungeons, trials, holiday events.

Have to say that pottering about doing this
    has made me want to play more on my alts as see areas haven’t done in ages as mainly do trials, dungeons or pvp otherwise.

But am accepting I will have to track progress myself. It may be that because this is what I had to do (previously had lots of stuff printed out as no home access to pc) in the past its not such a huge thing - but that is NOT saying I am at all happy with this implementation - I am extremely angry.

Will miss getting the odd achievement on alts whilst playing now - whilst it was not the focus of my playing, it was nice.

Come the update, will just log in with my main and bite the bullet, as he’s done nearly everything so may as well just get it over with.

(Will miss things like my baby necro having the vet Hel Ra title after being dragged in to a drunken all - necro run with friends. But there you go.)
    Edited by SerafinaWaterstar on March 8, 2022 2:50PM
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear you, and without having NA characters on PTS, I can't go back to test specific things. Those were just examples of things people say to your character based on what they have done.

That doesn't change the fact that this is a disastrous implementation and I don't plan to be here for the fallout. I'm just trying to find people to take over my guild duties.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While I find character deletion to be a drastic measure, I understand that we all play this game for various reasons and we all have unique playstyles. Character achievements have always been important to me and a large part of why and how I play alts. But, for me, all my characters have their own personality and backstory that is more than just their achievements, and I've become rather fond of all of them. Most were created in 2014 (the original 8), while I've created four more for the two new classes (both stam and mag). But even the "new" ones have been around for a while and I just couldn't delete them just because of AWA.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not happy about AWA, but I'm not planning to delete characters or quit the game over it as there are other reasons I play alts and other ways to track their progress. Though again, I can understand that some players would, since the way they play and reasons for playing are different from mine.

However, in regard to tracking alt progress, it sounds like the Zone Guide, for which I thought I could rely on, may be bugged. And, I don't like not being able to look at the map to see what they haven't done (in terms of delves, WBs, etc.). But, I think skyshards are still tracked by character, so they should still show up as uncollected when within range?

I'm glad, at least, to know that it doesn't really matter in which order I log them in, except for the additive achievements (and I'm not sure I have the energy to worry about those), as the first one to earn them will be the one that's recorded in the tool tip. Although, that does mean that there will be a few achievements that won't be attributed to my main, since she wasn't the first character I created. Some of the early main quest/AD/DC achievements will be recorded with those earlier characters, but since I started with early access on PC, I kind of like that for historical purposes, the first character to earn those early achievements will be recorded.

In any event, I'm slowly coming to terms with this, but it sounds like I may want to do a few things with my alts prior to the update. Not much time for PC, but I don't play it much - just mainly have kept it to play with my spouse, who still mains on PC. More time for console which is my main platform.

Oh, and it sounds like they "fixed" the museum-esque quests by switching those to character level. Is there still an issue with those?
  • Saieden
    Saieden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kesstryl wrote: »

You are correct that there has been a lot of fear mongering. I've even fallen victim to it, and it was all based on a couple posts in the bug reports. I think someone mentioned NPCs were in fact behaving this way and there was a difference in how the world reacted compared to live. Whether said person was basing this on an actual tested play or not, I don't know, but the bug reports is where I've focused most of my attention. The fact that there is simply not enough time to test everything is also a huge red flag in the face of what bugs were found. It's alarming for those of us who wanted to survive this huge negative change and still have the game world intact for our alts. That and ZOS being silent and not even acknowledging the bugs there, and the lack of fixes in the PTS cycles (where they could have at least acknowledged bugs like they did in the past) has just done nothing but ramp up the fear and dread. When that happens, people talk, and talk can escalate. This is the fault of ZOS who decided it was better to not communicate with us than face negative pressure and at least try to reassure us. It was cowardly.

Edited for spell check shennanigans

What also needs mentioning here, in context of the wide scope of effect, is that these bugs were found day 1 of PTS, with maybe 20 people testing, as most of the focus has been on the sweeping combat changes and new content. On live, there will be thousands of players experiencing the effects of these changes day 1 in places and ways no one here has even thought of yet.
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The big thing I object to in this update is "map areas being automatically marked as completed by a character who has not in fact completed them". This goes for delves, world bosses, dolmens, abyssal geysers, harrowstorms, public dungeons, group dungeons, and other places that have an associated quest to "complete" them (whether part of the zone's main quest line, or a side quest).

To be honest, I could care less about "do repeatable quest X number of times" or "kill a particular type of monster X times", and which character gets credit (one, all or none) when they're all added together. I'll be glad to only have to do Master Angler and Murkmire Prepper once, and even to be able to share the efforts of all characters in completing Murkmire Prepper (Master Angler is going to be done by just one toon, because that's the one that's spent the CPs in the fishing skills.) Finding monster trophies is a sufficient annoyance that I'm also happy to combine the monster trophies found by several characters into a monster trophy collecting achievement if they're compatible that way.

I don't even care about titles going account-wide, or over-and-above achievements like "complete dungeon on veteran mode" or "complete it on hard mode" or "complete it without dying" or "complete it within a time limit".

BUT, the things that need to not be broken by this, are the once-per-character quests. If I haven't saved King Casimir *on this specific character*, then Daggerfall's castle icon should appear black, not white. If I haven't killed the poison guar of Deshaan *on this specific character*, then its WB icon should appear black, not white. If I haven't captured the last leaders of the Blacksap Rebellion *on the specific character*, then Cormount in Grahtwood should appear black, not white.
    Edited by jle30303 on March 12, 2022 10:36PM
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jle30303 wrote: »
    The big thing I object to in this update is "map areas being automatically marked as completed by a character who has not in fact completed them". This goes for delves, world bosses, dolmens, abyssal geysers, harrowstorms, public dungeons, group dungeons, and other places that have an associated quest to "complete" them (whether part of the zone's main quest line, or a side quest).

To be honest, I could care less about "do repeatable quest X number of times" or "kill a particular type of monster X times", and which character gets credit (one, all or none) when they're all added together. I'll be glad to only have to do Master Angler and Murkmire Prepper once, and even to be able to share the efforts of all characters in completing Murkmire Prepper (Master Angler is going to be done by just one toon, because that's the one that's spent the CPs in the fishing skills.) Finding monster trophies is a sufficient annoyance that I'm also happy to combine the monster trophies found by several characters into a monster trophy collecting achievement if they're compatible that way.

I don't even care about titles going account-wide, or over-and-above achievements like "complete dungeon on veteran mode" or "complete it on hard mode" or "complete it without dying" or "complete it within a time limit".

BUT, the things that need to not be broken by this, are the once-per-character quests. If I haven't saved King Casimir *on this specific character*, then Daggerfall's castle icon should appear black, not white. If I haven't killed the poison guar of Deshaan *on this specific character*, then its WB icon should appear black, not white. If I haven't captured the last leaders of the Blacksap Rebellion *on the specific character*, then Cormount in Grahtwood should appear black, not white.

The quest hubs and striking locales still work as intended... at least according to the last PTS patch.

It's the Delve/WB/Dolmen markers that are autocompleting. We don't know if ZOS is going to throw in an emergency fix between the last PTS patch and the live version, but at least we do have some talented addon makers fixing those problems if you're on PC.

Again, massive thanks to @code65536 and @silvereyes for these!
    silvereyes wrote: »
    code65536 wrote: »
    For people who are looking for a reliable way to back up and save for posterity your character-specific data before Monday:

LibAchievementsArchive

A million thanks to @code65536 for this library.

I whipped up a quick integration into the Quest Journal for that library into Update 33, so that any completed achievements in the archive are displayed as character-specific, even achievement links.

Character Achievements addon
    silvereyes wrote: »
    Also just released.

Character Zone Tracker addon

Install that on live and log in to each of your characters in order to preserve character completion for delves, world bosses and world events (e.g. dolmens, geysers).

Edited by tomofhyrule on March 12, 2022 11:33PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a catch-22.

In order to get all the achievements you've completed with multiple alts on your main character, you have to log in with your Main first.

But because partially completed achievements are additive across characters, once you log in on your Main, the only way to get credit for your main is to not log onto your alts before you finish the achievement.

Example:
    My Main has killed 86 or so Wardens in PVP. My alt has killed more than 14. So the only way for me get credit for the Warden Slayer achievement for my Main character is to not log in to my alt...

In reality, though, I'm going to log into my Alt, and she'll get credit for 100 Warden kills even though she contributed the minority of the kills.

I'll be logging onto my Main and then alts in order of time played. Some of the additive achievements are going to give credit to my alts, but there's nothing I can do about that.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's a catch-22.

In order to get all the achievements you've completed with multiple alts on your main character, you have to log in with your Main first.

But because partially completed achievements are additive across characters, once you log in on your Main, the only way to get credit for your main is to not log onto your alts before you finish the achievement.

Example:
    My Main has killed 86 or so Wardens in PVP. My alt has killed more than 14. So the only way for me get credit for the Warden Slayer achievement for my Main character is to not log in to my alt...

In reality, though, I'm going to log into my Alt, and she'll get credit for 100 Warden kills even though she contributed the minority of the kills.

I'll be logging onto my Main and then alts in order of time played. Some of the additive achievements are going to give credit to my alts, but there's nothing I can do about that.

Almost - your first point isn't exactly correct.

For achievements that are completed by the time U33 rolls around, the account achievement will get the timestamp and name of the first character that earned it. If you later log into a character whose achievement is earlier, then the achievement will reset to give credit to the character who earned it first. That means if you got all of your achievements on your main before you got them on alts, then the achievements will end up assigned to your main no matter which order you log into your characters.

The way you said with aggregate achievements is correct - whoever is the one who adds the last one in will get the credit for popping the achievement. If you want those to give credit to a certain character, you need to be particular about the order you log in.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/597469/earned-by-tooltips-on-account-wide-achievements/p1

In your example, if you log into your alt first, they'll get the credit for their achieves and start pooling their Warden kills. If you then log into your main, your main will finish the Warden kills bar, but also overwrite the older achievements that they had earned themselves, assuming those timestamps are earlier than the timestamps on the other character's.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a catch-22.

Example:

Almost - your first point isn't exactly correct.

For achievements that are completed by the time U33 rolls around, the account achievement will get the timestamp and name of the first character that earned it. If you later log into a character whose achievement is earlier, then the achievement will reset to give credit to the character who earned it first. That means if you got all of your achievements on your main before you got them on alts, then the achievements will end up assigned to your main no matter which order you log into your characters.

The way you said with aggregate achievements is correct - whoever is the one who adds the last one in will get the credit for popping the achievement. If you want those to give credit to a certain character, you need to be particular about the order you log in.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/597469/earned-by-tooltips-on-account-wide-achievements/p1

In your example, if you log into your alt first, they'll get the credit for their achieves and start pooling their Warden kills. If you then log into your main, your main will finish the Warden kills bar, but also overwrite the older achievements that they had earned themselves, assuming those timestamps are earlier than the timestamps on the other character's.

Ah, thanks for the correction!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only preperation I'm making is considering what order I want to log into them first to get cumulative achievements checked off, and even then only because it's a one-off thing so it seems like I might as well take the time to think about it.

I have 8 characters who all do different things - 4 focus on questing and exploration but each with their own priorities, 1 is a dedicated crafter, 1 is a tank/event character (the backstory being she's a mercenary who never got caught up in the main quest and so can go wherever there might be work), 1 'evil' character who does things my others wouldn't and 1 experimental/themed character who doesn't use any magic except items enchanted by others and when a quest says to destroy something and they inexplicably use magic to do it (because there's no indication if it will be that animation or a hammer/dagger from no where and I can't be bothered checking).

But I've never used the achievement list to keep track of who is doing/has done what (I guess I'm used to games which either don't have achievements or where they can only be earned once) so that's not going to be an issue for me.

The zone guide bug where it shows that delves and world bosses have been completed as soon as they're discovered is going to be annoying (if it isn't fixed) but I don't normally leave it long between discovering and completing them so I don't think it will be a big problem. Maybe if I'm going to have to log off soon I'll make sure I go inside first so I know I need to do it when I log back in.

The ambient dialogue bugs don't bother me because I normally play with the sound off anyway and when I have it on I already hear lines I can't link to specific quests or activities so it's not going to make a big difference for me.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am just glad that I know about this change. Zone chat will probably be interesting over the next few days.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    The ambient dialogue bugs don't bother me because I normally play with the sound off anyway and when I have it on I already hear lines I can't link to specific quests or activities so it's not going to make a big difference for me.

I actually don't know what they're talking about 90% of the time anyway.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I talked to my team. The mood is grim, but we're determined to carry on.

c2ay7LO.jpg

That picture is from five years ago. Half of those 6 storied RP characters have already fallen to game changes - StamDK changed to Poison Knight, Bosmer stealth negation, Vampire feeding reversal. Not deleted, they're just someone else now. This time it's the pacifist who's going to get a rewrite.
    PC EU