The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What performance improvements are we getting with AWA?

• Saieden
    Saieden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point about "DB performance" that I have been trying to convey is that this is a drop in the bucket for any sane system. If the system isn't sane, then fix that root cause instead of just deleting a tiny piece of the symptom. If it is sane, then this a fake reason for AWA.

This realization, as a dev myself, was my quit moment (financially, I will still happily do quests with my wife on f2p mode when we're in the mood, but we have now both started FF14).

They had my benefit of the doubt for the first two weeks, and after that I saw the PNR was too close and decided that either the code/architecture is so bad that I can no longer justify investing in the game*, or that ZoS management is just so full of hubris and blindly refuse to acknowledge any kind of mistake and make the right decision for the players (that literally BEGGED them to stop this), which is simply enough for me to quit on principle alone

In the end, all the QnA did was prove to me that both scenarios were in fact correct.

* I know first-hand how continuous hack-jobs piled onto and bad design effect a large-scale system in the long run.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As players, we don't know how exactly how their backend works, but there are some important bits that can be inferred by observing how the game behaves.

One important clue is what happens when an instance crashes. You're booted back to the login screen, and if you log back into that character, you'll find that you're no longer in the instance, that the instance has been destroyed, and that everything that happened recently never happened--i.e., what players describe as a "rollback". Items that you looted? Not in your inventory. Quest stages completed? Not any more. Achievement earned? Not there.

Another thing that we can observe is that fresh newly-created characters have shorter load screens when loading into a zone, when compared to a character that's been played for years and years.

So what can we infer from this sort of behavior? What this suggests to me is that when a player loads into an instance--a dungeon, for example--the data for that character--their inventory, achievements, quest progress, etc.--is retrieved from the database for the instance to access locally. This is why new characters--with very little character history--load more quickly. And things that happen to the character in that instance--loot, quest progress, achievements, etc.--are updating that local copy of that character, not the copy in the main database. And then when the player logs out, changes instances, or just periodically, that local copy is synced back to the main database.

This is consistent with what people observe when an instance unexpectedly crashes, before that local data can be beamed back to the mothership. And it makes perfect sense from an engineering perspective and is the right thing to do: you don't want to hammer the database with frequent small updates.

But what does this mean for performance? It means that IT IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY THAT THERE ARE ACTIVE PERFORMANCE GAINS TO BE HAD FROM ACCOUNT-WIDE ACHIEVEMENTS. Because you're not actually accessing the database all the time.

The key word that I want to highlight here is "active", as in it won't affect combat, questing, or anything that you are actively doing with your character.

Think about it: With or without AWA, there will be a local copy of the player's achievements that the instance will load in. The only difference is whether that data is copied from the accounts database or from the characters database. Once you're in the instance--let's say a dungeon or Cyrodiil--you're not accessing the database to update your "Kill 500 Evil Doodads in Veteran Someplace" achievement (or Nightblade Slayer achievement, if you're hunting those pesky things in Cyrodiil) every single time you score a kill, so any improvements to the database performance won't affect that. I.e., there's ZERO impact on active gameplay. The only potential difference is when that data is synced back to the database or when that data is loaded from the database. I.e., load screens.

And to be clear, this is exactly what ZOS said in their Q&A: "may manifest itself in faster load screens and improved performance on other database-heavy operations". Load screens and other database-heavy operations. So... guild bank access times, guild store searches, loading up names on the trials leaderboard. That sort of thing. Not exactly the sort of thing that people complain about on a regular basis. And I suppose if the server comes up after an extended maintenance during prime time, the crush of players all trying to log in at the same time could be lessened somewhat, but those are uncommon, isolated incidents.

Combat performance? No change. Lag? No change. Desyncs? No change. Responsiveness of abilities? No change. FPS? No change.

Just shorter load screens. How much shorter? Well, the problem here is that load screen time is a combination of both server-side and client-side performance. For example, when you reload your UI, that load screen time is 100% local: how fast is your computer, how many addons you have, how much data are those addons loading and processing, etc. And on the server side, not all of that is associated with database operations--some of it is spinning up a fresh new instance, for example. But I can tell you that right now, I get load screen times are almost always under 10s--often under 5s--when zoning between existing instances (i.e., not having to wait for an instance to be created), so that establishes some bounds on just how much database changes can do. We're talking something on the order of a few seconds at best.

And, returning to what I wrote earlier, my oldest characters do have longer load screen times than a fresh new character. But first, achievements are just a small portion of that (which ZOS themselves admit). Think about all the quest completion/progress information for the thousands of quests. Think about all the dialog choices. The lorebooks that have been read. The thousands of recipes and furnishing plans that could be learned. There's a lot there. And frankly, I imagine that for players who have invested that much time into a character, that they wouldn't mind a somewhat longer load time for that character, if it means that it preserves the history of that invested time. I certainly wouldn't mind.
    Edited by code65536 on February 25, 2022 10:24PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Mephit
    Mephit
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m still a bit confused, and apologies if this has been raised before.

I believe CLA are copied to AWA as and when characters are logged in… so I assume they delete the CLA for that character at that point.

If (like others have mentioned) I only log in one character after this implements (to retain CLA) then presumably all my other toons just sit there with their character level achievements.

So questions…

The one toon I do log in will become the baseline for my AWA, presumably with a like for like copy of CLA > AWA. The database doesn’t get smaller.

If I log no other characters in then those retain CLA… and the database gets no smaller.

This will be the same for all unplayed accounts / characters…I assume there are a large number of these.

Many accounts (I read somewhere) also have only one character, so the database can’t get smaller as a result of those.

So will there come a time when ZOS are forced to do a CLA purge?

Or maybe I am confused :)
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They could just as easily do the Star Trek script thing and <insert tech speak here>, and it wouldn't be any less satisfying to hear.

The red shirts are our alt toons :pensive:
  • Saieden
    Saieden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mephit wrote: »

I believe CLA are copied to AWA as and when characters are logged in… so I assume they delete the CLA for that character at that point.

If (like others have mentioned) I only log in one character after this implements (to retain CLA) then presumably all my other toons just sit there with their character level achievements.

So questions…

The one toon I do log in will become the baseline for my AWA, presumably with a like for like copy of CLA > AWA. The database doesn’t get smaller.

If I log no other characters in then those retain CLA… and the database gets no smaller.

This will be the same for all unplayed accounts / characters…I assume there are a large number of these.

Many accounts (I read somewhere) also have only one character, so the database can’t get smaller as a result of those.

The order you load characters only matters for quantative achievements (eg kill x mobs) and meta-achievements (eg grand master crafter). Whichever character gives you the achievement account wide upon loading them in will be credited.

This means it is very likely that it will be impossible to have every achievement on one character without loading it first and completing every unearned achievement that your other characters already have before logging in with them for the first time.

For other achievements you've already earned, it will stick to whoever did it first. If you did DC msq/zones clear on your main, then AD on an alt, and AD again on your main, AD will be on your alt no matter what. If you did EP on another alt, and with no other characters, it will probably get Caldwell's gold after you've logged in with your other toons and then log in with that toon.

• Mephit
    Mephit
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saieden wrote: »

So questions…

The order you load characters only matters for quantative achievements (eg kill x mobs) and meta-achievements (eg grand master crafter). Whichever character gives you the achievement account wide upon loading them in will be credited.

This means it is very likely that it will be impossible to have every achievement on one character without loading it first and completing every unearned achievement that your other characters already have before logging in with them for the first time.

For other achievements you've already earned, it will stick to whoever did it first. If you did DC msq/zones clear on your main, then AD on an alt, and AD again on your main, AD will be on your alt no matter what. If you did EP on another alt, and with no other characters, it will probably get Caldwell's gold after you've logged in with your other toons and then log in with that toon.

My question was about database size.. which is supposedly what is helping performance…
  • remosito
    remosito
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So questions…

they'll just shift them to cold storage.. chances are they already are.. they did that a while back afaik...

In my case it will be 10 active chars - > 1..
    Edited by remosito on February 27, 2022 2:04PM
    ShutYerTrap (selectively mute NPC dialogues (stuga, companions); displayleads (antiquity leads location); UndauntedPledgeQueuer (small daily undaunted dungeon queuer window)
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    remosito wrote: »

So questions…

they'll just shift them to cold storage.. chances are they already are.. they did that a while back afaik...

Do they do it per account or per character?
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So questions…

Pretty sure cold storage works by account, not character.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • remosito
    remosito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    heaven13 wrote: »

So questions…

Pretty sure cold storage works by account, not character.

even if it was per account. chances are they''ll do it per char now..as far as achievements are concerned..

if I'd do it I' ll actually push all per char achievements into a separate db. create a new per account one and augment the per account new one from the per char old one whenever a char is logged in the first time...
    (edit.. or dump achieves into per account or char files and load those in.. doesnt really matter.. what matters is to get perf gain from smaller db from day one and not successively as players load their chars over time)

but in the end.. my guess is as bad as yours...
    Edited by remosito on February 27, 2022 3:21PM
    ShutYerTrap (selectively mute NPC dialogues (stuga, companions); displayleads (antiquity leads location); UndauntedPledgeQueuer (small daily undaunted dungeon queuer window)
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    but, reducing the amount of cooking recipes -for example- would not have worked ?

In my case i have 3 accounts, with a minimun of 12 characters each and they all learned the recipes. So i guess making a regroup of that would have probably give more room ?

or all those motifs events ?
    My most recent characters
    AD - Amareni NB
    -
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That's not how databases work, and that's not how achievements are implemented. First, they are loaded when you login and updated with events, not every time you open the window. Second, it is infinitesimal compared to all the other data that moves around (hello guild sales!)

Hello traits learned
    Hello riding lessons taken
    Hello recipes learned
    Hello motifs learned (not style pages which are already account based)
    Hello clothing/outfits owned
    Hello skill points allocated
    Hello champion points

I'm probably missing things here...
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

That's not how databases work, and that's not how achievements are implemented. First, they are loaded when you login and updated with events, not every time you open the window. Second, it is infinitesimal compared to all the other data that moves around (hello guild sales!)

Hello traits learned
    Hello recipes learned
    Hello champion points

Just to clarify~
    Research traits won't be account wide
    Riding lessons will remain character bound, (last I checked on PTS)
    Recipes~ not sure, but don't think account wide
    Motifs will not be account wide and stay character bound
    Skill points are not account wide and still character only
    Champion point are already account wide

This AwA needs to be reconsidered and not go live.
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The exact wording is:
    With the database’s overall footprint reduced, it will more performant across the board, which may manifest itself in faster load screens and improved performance on other database-heavy operations.
    I know what a load screen is, but what is an example of database-heavy operations?
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Saieden
    Saieden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    The exact wording is:
    With the database’s overall footprint reduced, it will more performant across the board, which may manifest itself in faster load screens and improved performance on other database-heavy operations.
    I know what a load screen is, but what is an example of database-heavy operations?

Things like when master merchant loads your guild sales history, for which they had to implement a cooldown on the API call because it caused too much strain on the server when you have hundreds of players doing this for hundreds of thousands of transactions, simultaneously, during peak hours.

When we say achievement data consumes an insignificant amount of server resources, this is the kind of thing we are comparing it to (server-side combat logging is another good example).
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello traits learned
    Hello recipes learned
    Hello champion points

motifs are kind of a weird case

they kind of already ARE account wide unlocks

learning a motif unlocks the OUTFIT style account wide for use at the outfit station
    caveat with this is that only the character(s) that learned the actual motif can use it at a crafting station
    • motif outfit knowledge is acct wide
    • motif crafting knowledge is per character
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

learning a motif unlocks the OUTFIT style account wide for use at the outfit station
    caveat with this is that only the character(s) that learned the actual motif can use it at a crafting station

I was considering "motifs" as separate from "style unlocks" despite the fact that use of a single motif page can unlock both.

Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was considering "motifs" as separate from "style unlocks" despite the fact that use of a single motif page can unlock both.

i figure when most people are mentioning account wide motif unlock they mean more for the crafting side of things

but also wanted to put out there that if you only need it for an outfit unlock, that technically is acct wide already
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is the Card Game is to blame, because it will add more achievements and data for the collected cards which might be in the hundreds in the future. And since they were adjusting the achievement system, they went on to do an Orc style overhaul :smile:
    Also, they might prepare the game for some new feature or major change that we aren't aware yet.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiit expects queues will progress much faster, with fewer waiting in line.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sure, when you factor in all the people who said they are leaving over AwA, and the many more who will get the bomb dropped on them when this hits live in this form.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Saieden
    Saieden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kesstryl wrote: »

Sure, when you factor in all the people who said they are leaving over AwA, and the many more who will get the bomb dropped on them when this hits live in this form.

Don't worry, the time spent "in game" will be recouped a thousand times over without all the players that do alt dungeon achievements, not to mention the vastly reduced need for transmutes.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The main impact (if any) is that our characters will load faster. At one time characters with less achievements loaded faster than those with more, but I haven't noticed that impact recently (I think there were already improvements that fixed that issue).

If they can decrease the table sizes, and reduce the amount of data the database has to sift through then that can have an impact on the amount of CPU cycles required and the amount of cashed data required by the database to have to keep for a query (i.e. character load). If you look across the whole live system over the span of a week then you may see the impact this is having.

All that said, will this specific change have an impact that we the players will notice? Probably not, unless you are measuring your character load times before and after with a stopwatch, even then it may not even have an impact beyond the margin of error.

At least that is my understanding based on the patch notes and my own knowledge.
    Playing since beta...
  • spacefracking
    spacefracking
    ✭✭✭✭
    Likely no meaningful performance increase. It doesn't affect the real time combat event resolution logic.

I'd imagine this is a command handed down from microsoft for some reason to conform with the rest of their stuff.

Maybe they are anticipating some unified platform for all of their newly acquired game studios.
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I read, this is not how Microsoft deals with studios it acquires. Usually they are left alone, particularly if said studios bring in money.
  • Saieden
    Saieden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kojou wrote: »
    The main impact (if any) is that our characters will load faster. At one time characters with less achievements loaded faster than those with more, but I haven't noticed that impact recently (I think there were already improvements that fixed that issue).

If they can decrease the table sizes, and reduce the amount of data the database has to sift through then that can have an impact on the amount of CPU cycles required and the amount of cashed data required by the database to have to keep for a query (i.e. character load). If you look across the whole live system over the span of a week then you may see the impact this is having.

All that said, will this specific change have an impact that we the players will notice? Probably not, unless you are measuring your character load times before and after with a stopwatch, even then it may not even have an impact beyond the margin of error.

At least that is my understanding based on the patch notes and my own knowledge.

The proper way to reduce the amount of data the server has to sift through is to reorganize, both logically and physically. That's why libraries have a coding system for topics/genres rather than listing every author alphabetically from one side to the other. And there are far more possibilities and ways to optimize a database than there are for a physical documentation system.