The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Gankers at Questpoints

• Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumenn wrote: »
    Mik195 wrote: »
    It's ZOS' fault, but if you are killing "enemies" at the quest givers, your toon is a not a good person. The town quests are mostly/not all about helping civilians (saving them from dremora, kepping the town's books safe, helping priest heal better, etc.). Maybe ZOS shouldn't have created the town quests or made them war-related.

To be fair, the pve quests are full of killing people because someone said they're bad and making several choices on who's soul you have to sacrifice. Completely stressed a lawful good playthrough I had...

Very true. And I do like how sometimes the quest calls you out for it (like Darkshade 1 where you help the bad guy murder everyone and the one where I always end up murdering the wrong sister).

I would like to redo Cyrodil since the current war has alliance leaders wanting to win because their bottoms would look so cute on the ruby throne. I'd rather have a some god or prince interfere and make Cyrodil safe from Molag Bal - remove the anchors and Golden Saint picnic spots and change the war to be about securing Cyrodil as a place to evacuate their people if needed as Cyrodil is now the only safe place. Same practical war, but more reasonable.
  • Qrähe
    Qrähe
    ✭✭✭
    Here's Gina Bruno's comment on that type of thing, screenshotted for brevity. The comments shown are on page 1 and 2. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/546727/was-it-ever-confirmed-if-tea-bagging-is-against-tos-now/p1

66sjl6.jpg

In short, repeatedly killing questers is not -by itself- harassment. The context is PVP happening in a PVP zone.

But if you are going out of your way to target that one player or combining it with stuff like hate whispers, the context of your actions does matter.

I want to see the NPC report someone for tbagging, lol.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Online games can bring out the worst tendencies in many. Some may even be the kind would would be picked on in real life, but who get a thrill doing it to others themselves.

Yes they “may” be. They may also just be someone who is pvping in a pvp zone. So much time is spent psychoanalyzing what may be wrong with the person pvping in a pvp zone but we need to protect the person who feels so entitled to every little event and gear piece that the rest of the mmorpg must grind to a halt so they can accomplish their mission?

Sounds silly right? Probably because instead of words like harassment or bullying I just said pvping in a pvp zone.

I just don’t know why everyone has such a great need to alter everyone else’s behavior these days. In video games no less. The person who gets griefed in a video game and harbors real life emotions about it for more than like 10 minutes has every bit as many issues as the person who gets their jollies off farming noobs. And the funny thing is it’s the exact same problem. They don’t have healthy ways to cope with stress.

But that’s my last post on the topic because now I’m just contributing to the philosophical fluff. My true point is that none of this matters so who cares.

• BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its pretty obvious from what exactly? If hes alone and doesnt have the means to 1vX these players. His only option is to ambush and kill them. The OP clearly states that he was unaware these were strictly PvEers until after all the fighting.

I don't see where OP said they were unaware they were questers. Their quote: "I finish my daily, get my tickets, then hang out, ganking some of the stray AD who were hanging around the town doing their quests." It indicates: 1) They could have left; 2) They knew they were picking on stray questers and not a team of attackers.
    PvEers need to stop assuming that because they are present in the zone that they somehow are entitled to some sort of reprieve from the primary purpose of the zone. If you go in there you are fair game. Simple as that. Simply questing there does not give you some special dispensation from PvP. Nor does it mean that PvPers HAVE to abide by rules of conduct where they ignore you for questing. They do not owe you that.

Is it really so much to ask for players to be considerate to each other? I don't even see this as an issue of PVP'er vs PVE'er. Do PVP'ers themselves like to be ganked when they're just doing a simple town quest that has nothing to do with factions? What do you gain from ganking questers? A few measly AP? A feeling of heroism? On the other side, however, there's a real sense of anxiety and dread, with some PVE'ers swearing off PVP totally because of this.

Let's not forget this is a game. People come to ESO to have fun, and Cyrodiil can be fun, once we're able to overcome the anxieties of getting into a PVP zone. Capturing keeps and resources can be fun (when you win), and dying in those circumstances is fair enough. But the way I see town quests, is that they're not really PVP, so why can't we let people (PVP/PVE'ers alike) do those in peace?

Anyway, I know nothing will change. The last time I was around for MYM, in 2019, the forums were exactly the same. I just wish people would see the "everyone and everything is fair game" attitude can cause real anxiety. So maybe it's not exactly against the rules. Should it be encouraged? I don't think so.
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is infuriating, no one listens when you try and explain how cyrodiil works, and how to succeed in it.

Flipping an enemy town and hanging out in it is not only inviting pvp, but you are the aggressor.

Those are hard facts.

You (your alliance) took an objective and created an enemy spawn point. It is not an innocent, harmless activity.
    While I was a bit flippant earlier, the letter writer did indeed grief other pveers by taking away their home town to quest in and is just as guilty of preventing someone else from questing as the ganker.
  • oldbobdude
    oldbobdude
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am a PVE’r so I avoid Cyro. Those that PVE should expect PVP when In zone. Gankers who hang out at quest sites are a different thing. Gankers don’t care about PVP, they just want to kill as many PVE as possible as many times as possible. You’d think they would want a challenge. Isn’t that what its about? The challenge of fighting another player? I guess it makes the ganker feel superior somehow. I don’t know.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indigogo wrote: »
    This is infuriating, no one listens when you try and explain how cyrodiil works, and how to succeed in it.

Flipping an enemy town and hanging out in it is not only inviting pvp, but you are the aggressor.

Those are hard facts.

You (your alliance) took an objective and created an enemy spawn point. It is not an innocent, harmless activity.
    While I was a bit flippant earlier, the letter writer did indeed grief other pveers by taking away their home town to quest in and is just as guilty of preventing someone else from questing as the ganker.

I don't know who this comment is directed at, I'm not part of AD. That's a fair point, and it's true this particular case seems to fall in the grey area of right and wrong, more so if the letter writer was part of the team that flipped the town, rather than some random PVE'er who came in after. My posts were more about the comment that if you're in Cyrodiil, expect to be ganked. Quite simply, I don't think that's right.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »

Those are hard facts.

I don't know who this comment is directed at, I'm not part of AD. That's a fair point, and it's true this particular case seems to fall in the grey area of right and wrong, more so if the letter writer was part of the team that flipped the town, rather than some random PVE'er who came in after. My posts were more about the comment that if you're in Cyrodiil, expect to be ganked. Quite simply, I don't think that's right.

And I'm confused about that. Seriously I really am no shade. It's certainly not FUN I'll give you that completely. But in a war wouldn't you expect snipers? Mines? Sneaky traps? Cyro is a 3 way war. Guerilla warfare is as old as time. Hit and run. It may be distasteful to some( not really my cup of tea either, though I've dabbled in the past) but it exists, is viable, and you should expect it even inside a "safe" keep your faction owns.
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are hard facts.

Yeah I was just being general at comments about being considerate, and kind, and leaving people alone to quest in peace...
    When those people questing don't abide by those standards themselves.
    It's hypocritical.

Every anniversary event I take my no gear crafting mules into chey to quest.
    Who kills those poor little innocent souls? Pve-ers.

But that's the zone. Even the most passive player can't help themselves in the heat of the moment and gets blood lust.

So, yes, always be prepared to die.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gankers are not necessarily griefers. I mean, they're obviously trying to give enemy players grief, but that doesn't mean they're doing it to intentionally grief specific players. Sure, they might be; even in-your-face melee PvPers who would never deign to go into stealth mode can be guilty of targetting specific enemy players. But a lot of PvPers-- the majority, I suspect-- are just going after enemy players as though they're (hopefully) smarter and more powerful NPCs. You can see this if you watch them streaming on Twitch, because they're just calmly cruising through Cyrodiil or IC, dispassionately mowing down every enemy player they see and occasionally dying to them-- in which case they calmly rez and jump back into the fray for another round.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • ElvenOverlord
    ElvenOverlord
    ✭✭✭✭
    madrab73 wrote: »
    Gankers are at their strongest right now after they were 'balanced' by someone who mains the class. Nerf incoming next patch.

The quest givers being in towns balances danger/reward. You get AP and pvp items as reward so shouldn't be PVE only.

Mixing the two was dumb. There should be a separate PVE only version that gives no AP or PvP items. I would love to play the storyline of IC but I won't bother as long as there is a PvP element unless there's an event going on and my guild decides to go through there.
    Edited by ElvenOverlord on March 1, 2022 2:30PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its pretty obvious from what exactly? If hes alone and doesnt have the means to 1vX these players. His only option is to ambush and kill them. The OP clearly states that he was unaware these were strictly PvEers until after all the fighting.

I don't see where OP said they were unaware they were questers. Their quote: "I finish my daily, get my tickets, then hang out, ganking some of the stray AD who were hanging around the town doing their quests." It indicates: 1) They could have left; 2) They knew they were picking on stray questers and not a team of attackers.
    PvEers need to stop assuming that because they are present in the zone that they somehow are entitled to some sort of reprieve from the primary purpose of the zone. If you go in there you are fair game. Simple as that. Simply questing there does not give you some special dispensation from PvP. Nor does it mean that PvPers HAVE to abide by rules of conduct where they ignore you for questing. They do not owe you that.

Is it really so much to ask for players to be considerate to each other? I don't even see this as an issue of PVP'er vs PVE'er. Do PVP'ers themselves like to be ganked when they're just doing a simple town quest that has nothing to do with factions? What do you gain from ganking questers? A few measly AP? A feeling of heroism? On the other side, however, there's a real sense of anxiety and dread, with some PVE'ers swearing off PVP totally because of this.

Let's not forget this is a game. People come to ESO to have fun, and Cyrodiil can be fun, once we're able to overcome the anxieties of getting into a PVP zone. Capturing keeps and resources can be fun (when you win), and dying in those circumstances is fair enough. But the way I see town quests, is that they're not really PVP, so why can't we let people (PVP/PVE'ers alike) do those in peace?

Anyway, I know nothing will change. The last time I was around for MYM, in 2019, the forums were exactly the same. I just wish people would see the "everyone and everything is fair game" attitude can cause real anxiety. So maybe it's not exactly against the rules. Should it be encouraged? I don't think so.

Speaking as someone who deeply felt that anxiety when I first when to Cyrodiil for my Master Angler fish...you can't remove that anxiety for players without removing PVP.

There are some players for whom the mere risk of PVP happening starts the blood pressure rising, sets them on alert, and makes them anxious.

That's still me. I love Cyrodiil battles, but that's rather straightforward PVP that doesn't hit me with the same tension. When I quest, fish, and hunt skyshards in Cyrodiil and Imperial City, I'm still an anxious ball of nerves and I'm a PVP Legate. In doses, I can really enjoy this gameplay now, but it took me a long time to get here. There's nothing quite like that tension in the rest of PVE. I'm also really aware of my mood, and will call it quits if I'm getting too frustrated. My mantra is "I'm going to die and that's okay!"

So where does that leave us? I see a couple of options:

A. Players for whom PvPvE activities are genuinely uncomfortable can choose to skip them, thus missing out on the rewards. I think this is a excellent choice for anyone who just wants to have fun - why do something you dislike?

B. Players for whom PvPvE activities are genuinely uncomfortable can choose to seek the rewards anyway, accepting that they need to do gameplay that they don't like in order to get the rewards they want. More power to them! This is exactly how I started out.

C. Players for whom PvPvE activities are genuinely uncomfortable can choose to seek the rewards, anyway, complaining bitterly that they have to do gameplay they don't like and begging ZOS in dozens of different ways to give them the rewards without having the to play the game/event as intended.

As you probably guessed, my approach when I wanted my Master Angler fish was (B.) Yeah, I got ganked while fishing. I didn't enjoy it, but I understood that it was acceptable PVP gameplay. I accepted the risk of PVP because I wanted the reward of my fish badly enough.

I don't think that my anxiety about PVP justifies asking for a PVE-only version so that I can get those rewards without ever doing gameplay that makes me anxious.
    Edited by VaranisArano on March 1, 2022 2:54PM
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Gankers are not necessarily griefers. I mean, they're obviously trying to give enemy players grief, but that doesn't mean they're doing it to intentionally grief specific players. Sure, they might be; even in-your-face melee PvPers who would never deign to go into stealth mode can be guilty of targetting specific enemy players. But a lot of PvPers-- the majority, I suspect-- are just going after enemy players as though they're (hopefully) smarter and more powerful NPCs. You can see this if you watch them streaming on Twitch, because they're just calmly cruising through Cyrodiil or IC, dispassionately mowing down every enemy player they see and occasionally dying to them-- in which case they calmly rez and jump back into the fray for another round.

Pretty much that. If I ever killed the same person multiple times, and it has happened, I had no clue until after the fact, if even then. There are 2 things I look for in PVP, that is health bars and how full they are. When I/we attack, I look for the players whose health drop the most, then he is my target to get a killing blow on, so he will detonate from Vicious Death and hopefully, take out his friends. Rinse and repeat until they are all dead or only block tanks are left, at which point I use them to refill my ulti and move on.

I never look at names, although I do notice them occasionally anyways... there is usually to much going on to bother. I do have a couple friends that do spot other players names, and it always boggles my mind how they can even do that.

Edited by Kwoung on March 1, 2022 3:03PM
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't go looking for questers, but if I happen to run into one at a quest point, I always wait until they move away from the quest giver before trying to kill them.
  • Kwik1
    Kwik1
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a PvE player, it would be nice if we could finish the quest or skyshard in Cyro, but I don't expect it. I do have a lot more respect for those players that do let you finish your current objective, but it is a PvP zone so I get it.

Having said that...

I do want to say that toxicity is just as bad in Cyro as it is in PvE for the MOST part...but BG's, well the people there give all PvP'ers a bad reputation. The toxicity in the BG's is horrible and the entitlement is beyond anything I have ever seen in PvE content.

So because of BG's, PvP toxicity is massively worse then it is in PvE and it isn't even remotely close.

I do wish they would do a seperate map for Cyro just for achievements and skyshards and whatever, but I understand why it is like it is.
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This event I think was much better than last year or earlier, I haven't really seen much ganker camping quest point this year. Last year and earlier it was fairly common to find them ganking inside the quest buildings and such, this year the fightings in towns were mostly for strategic reason and the ownership of the town - and if a quester caught up in that they died - but beyond that if a quester left the guards and flags alone then usually nobody really bothered them.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    vgabor wrote: »
    This event I think was much better than last year or earlier, I haven't really seen much ganker camping quest point this year. Last year and earlier it was fairly common to find them ganking inside the quest buildings and such, this year the fightings in towns were mostly for strategic reason and the ownership of the town - and if a quester caught up in that they died - but beyond that if a quester left the guards and flags alone then usually nobody really bothered them.

Agree, didn't seem to bad in Cyrodiil and I do my questing in Grey Host (a personal mission to get all the skyshards/quests etc in there). IC however....gank central
    Soupy twist
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even ZOS says that all the Mayhem Event Ticket quests are PVP activities, so the idea that you can willingly queue up for a PVP zone during a PVP event to do PVP activities and somehow still call yourself a "civilian" is hilarious.

This is a game. We can draw all the war analogies we want, but the simple truth is that every single person in Cyrodiil or Imperial City chose to be there. They chose to participate in a PVP Event doing PVP activities in PVP zone where everyone on two enemy teams is fair game at all times. Refusing to fight is a personal choice you make that is not binding on either your alliance mates nor the enemy players who are playing the game mode as intended.

When I , as an EP player walk into Cropsford on my healer or quest in Imperial City on my fragile speedster Craglorn farmer, the only thing that matters to AD and DC players is that red shield above my head. Even if I never once raise my bow in self-defense, I am 100% a valid target at all times.

I chose to queue up for a PVP zone to do PVP activities during a PVP Event. I'm not going to pretend that I'm a "civilian" who shouldn't be touched just because I'm questing.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the thing. Most PVP players I know let questers be for the most part. That said, that anxiety can run both ways. I cannot tell you how many times, whether in IC or Cyro, where I see a low level player or someone who seems clearly to be questing, and I ignore them only be to attacked when my back is turned. The first move often determines the victor in any engagement. Should you always wait to be attack first when near a town? That is a risky play and Kill on Sight as a general rule eliminates that as an issue.

Lets also not forgot that towns are worth points to an alliance. If am in a town controlled by my alliance, its a safe assumption that anyone there not in my alliance is trying to change that. If I am in a town NOT controlled by my alliance, well I am going to try to do something about it. Its also a safe assumption that anyone I see not on my alliance is trying to stop me.

Other times, I am in the middle of effectively a PVE fight in a PVP zone. Happens all the time in IC. All of a sudden there is an enemy in my presence and I am vulnerable because I have been fighting. I dont know their intentions. At that point, going on the attack is almost certainly the best move. Put them on Defense so I can recover and access whether its an engagement I want to be in. Sometimes, my first burst drops them, probably they were a quester in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Now I get that is perhaps different then intentionally gunning for questers on your gankblade, but I dont think that is what is going on the vast majority of time a PVEer gets killed doing a quest in a PVP zone. I think most people simply see an enemy and engage them, because thats why most of us PVP. We like the fight.

Kill on sight in a PVP zone is a reasonable policy, especially if you care about your own survival (why wouldnt you?). To expect anything less out of the random player you encounter is the dead center of a Venn Diagram between Naivete and Entitlement.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on March 1, 2022 9:47PM
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think what is so interesting is why do people who are not PVPers go into Cyrodiil and do zero to prepare for Cyrodiil? Do they also go into a vet trial with their vMSA build? Do they go into vMSA on their dungeon healer build? My guess is no. So why do they come into Cyrodiil and do nothing to prepare. There are plenty of guides out there to help you survive a gank... you may not kill anyone, but if you just want to do the quests, you don't have to.
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumsdenml wrote: »
    I think what is so interesting is why do people who are not PVPers go into Cyrodiil and do zero to prepare for Cyrodiil? Do they also go into a vet trial with their vMSA build? Do they go into vMSA on their dungeon healer build? My guess is no. So why do they come into Cyrodiil and do nothing to prepare. There are plenty of guides out there to help you survive a gank... you may not kill anyone, but if you just want to do the quests, you don't have to.

You mean, "vMA?" Because, yeah, I've seen people who do that. (Or, at least, they take their parse builds into vet content and expect it to end in ways that don't involve blood and tears.) I've even seen a snipe spammer in a vet trial. "Dude, no, use poison injection." "But Lethal Arrow does so much more damage."

There are a lot of players out there who create one build, and then never adapt it to what they're doing. You'll find them in all kinds of content. That's just as true when you see players wandering into PvP with their normal setup and expecting it to be effective, without even altering their tactics.
    Edited by starkerealm on March 5, 2022 3:07PM
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you stand in the middle of the road , don't complain that a vehicle ran you over! No special privileges. Enter into a pvp zone you may be kill , just that simple.