Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A response on communications

• _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Zathras_ wrote: »
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    I don't use Twitter or Facebook/Meta, either. However, I don't think the forums are the place for ZOS to be posting important announcements. The website? Sure. The launcher? That works, too. But the forums? Not so much.

As I see it, the forums are primarily a place for players to talk about the game amongst themselves, not a place where players should expect to get in touch with ZOS management whenever they want and get responses to their questions, complaints, and demands about the game.

On the default Forum page, the very first bar's title is Official News and Updates.

So.. While you may think this isn't the place for important announcements, they do. ..Which is deeply ironic.

This is true, but they are all pinned threads about announcements and do not address any of the things discussed in this thread, i.e. Gina's Communication Tweet, Rich's stream with PvP info, etc.
    I use that thread often, but still had to get the above info from 2nd and 3rd parties. That is what we would like them to address.

Yup, as I've noted in my posts throughout this thread as well.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with a lot of people. ZOS needs to STOP using Twitter, etc., and post it here. At a minimum any tweet related to a bug, potential fix, update, etc, should be cross posted here to the forums. I do not use FB or Twitter - and I never will.

In addition, when there is some new type of communication, it needs to not be buried in a 20 page deep thread. I am thinking of the recent news that they are reverting BGs to the older solo/group style again. How could I possibly know that if someone hadn't sent me the direct link? I stopped reading that thread months ago. I rarely click on the "Z" in threads because 99% of the time it is a mod telling people to behave.

So a few fixes that would improve communication ten-fold:

1. If it is on twitter, it needs to be here on the forums in an obvious way. Period.
    2. Whenever there is mod action on the forums the dev "Z" needs to NOT appear in that thread. That way when I see that "Z" I know for a fact Gina, Matt, or a dev has replied there. I know the dev tracker is a thing, but it isn't immediately obvious how to access it or what it is. And I am not hating on Kevin here - I am glad he is so involved here on the forums - but that isn't really what I think of when I go to the "dev" tracker. So the tool could use a once-over to make it more useful perhaps.

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head on what would improve communication for me.

Long time ago I suggested the moderation Z icon be a different color than the communication Zs. If not red, then blue or purple? :)
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Arunei wrote: »
    Whether or not a large portion of players use the forums or not doesn't matter. When there are surveys and research studies irl, a small number of the target demographic is sampled to still get the average for the demographic overall. One could sort of liken that to the forums; a majority of people may not use them, but out of the ones who do, we could be be considered a survey group.

Actually, it does matter, and this has been discussed quite a bit over the years, by people with varying degrees of apparent expertise.

The TL;DR is that the forum is good for collecting ideas and comments, when mixed with comments and ideas from other sources, but not for assigning weights and relative importance to those comments and ideas.

That is only true to a point. Players of most perspectives are on the forums. That is why so many issues keep getting argued/discussed.

Also knowing it is discussed here means that it is of concerns to enough players that a subset end up here to push a view.

I also know however that any idea presented here will have someone argue against it! I could start a post saying the "sky is blue" and someone would argue, "no, it is azure". That is another aspect of these forums that gets be really annoying.

"Players of most perspectives are on the forums."

This is why it is good for collecting ideas and comments. However, it is not a comprehensive source.

"Also knowing it is discussed here means that it is of concerns to enough players that a subset end up here to push a view."

The forum is a limited ecosystem within the larger player ecosystem. I would also suggest that it can be insular and easily biased, too. This does not make for a good environment for assigning weighted value to ideas and opinions. Yes, one can say that the forum is passionate about something, but that is all that can be said about the passion.

"any idea presented here will have someone argue against it"

Arguments and debates are for entertainment purposes. The debate itself is less important than the ideas presented during the debate. The winner isn't important, but the ideas are. Once someone has articulated their thoughts on a subject, it is safe to wander off. Rebuttals are for the benefit of the other people in the forum, so there is no downside to just walking away.

As for the sky color... obviously, it is Blue. :smile:
    Edited by Elsonso on January 20, 2022 2:01PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhat of a case in point about good comments sometimes coming later in threads, I'm learning a fair bit about what people who've moderated other forums found useful about threads and responses.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhat of a case in point about good comments sometimes coming later in threads, I'm learning a fair bit about what people who've moderated other forums found useful about threads and responses.

That is just because I stuck around. I only say things of prime value. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see someone linked this thread to her Twitter page.

Hopefully the discussion will bear some fruit.
  • ElvenOverlord
    ElvenOverlord
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not getting the outrage here. Gina was just asking the people who follow her on Twitter for their thoughts.

I think the outrage is in that people on the game's official forum weren't being asked for their thoughts.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the forum has made it quite clear, and continues to do so on a regular basis, what it thinks of ZOS communication and how they can improve on it. No asking required. The forum freely provides opinions on a wide variety of subjects, unasked. Maybe ZOS needs to hear from someone else, too? :neutral:

Additionally, people are assuming that because Gina is a prominent person related to ESO that ESO is all she is. She is a Senior Community Manager at ZOS, which is more than ESO. Not only may she have things to do in other parts of the studio, but she also has to be wary of being pigeon-holed by listening only to the ESO forums, or even just ESO players.

In other words... not everything is exclusively about ESO, and not everything has to include the ESO forums.

100% true.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The forum may not be completely representative, but it is the closest to that.

Twitter or Facebook or whatever certainly are not.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Apparently not. I guess Twitter is the only place she can be engaged, at least that's where most of her attention is.

@zos_kevin This is why players get frustrated.
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Destai wrote: »

Apparently not. I guess Twitter is the only place she can be engaged, at least that's where most of her attention is.

Yup. It's been a week.

This was a really good effort on this community's part to try and bridge a gap. I'm really sorry as well that @ZOS_GinaBruno wasn't interested in engaging the conversation. This was a direct answer to her Twitter initiative, but from the players who use the Official Forums.

Someone even took the time to link this directly to her Twitter, and she still hasn't acknowledged any of this.

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom Hey, we tried.
    Edited by _Zathras_ on January 22, 2022 4:29PM
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Destai wrote: »

Yup. It's been a week.

This was a really good effort on this community's part to try and bridge a gap. I'm really sorry as well that @ZOS_GinaBruno wasn't interested in engaging the conversation. This was a direct answer to her Twitter initiative, but from the players who use the Official Forums.

Someone even took the time to link this directly to her Twitter, and she still hasn't acknowledged any of this.

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom Hey, we tried.

I also linked it and said we'd all appreciate her presence here more. It's a shame the OFFICIAL forums don't enjoy the same attention and candor seen on Twitter.
    Edited by Destai on January 22, 2022 5:22PM
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use Twitter and don't really want to.
    My extent of social media is facebook and a sleepy instragram I never used.
    The curse of the over 30's who like tech, but realise it's kind of 'poop' at the same time.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Youyouz06 wrote: »
    The curse of the over 30's who like tech, but realise it's kind of 'poop' at the same time.

The "official" forums is where I go for "official" announcements, discussions, etc... Twitter, Facebook, whatever other "Social Media" platform they communicate on, have never seen any of it and don't intend to. I will watch the occasional Twitch stream of theirs, well because they pay me to in crown gems. But even there, you won't see me chatting away in that stream that scrolls by so fast... I don't see how anyone could read it anyways.

I shouldn't have to sell my soul and personal info, generating untold amounts of email spam, in order to find out official information about on what's going on in a game I play.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    You ask how you can better communication only on Twitter, and when we try to bring that conversation here it's completely ignored.

Normally I feel that people overping you specifically for things, and it's understandable that a majority of those you might not reply to because you're not given the go-ahead or whatever.

But in this instance I would have expected a response from you, at least. You ask how you can better do your job, but then ignore those of us here who are trying to tell you, in favor of a 3rd-party site. There shouldn't be any need to wait for approval to post here saying you see what we say and will take it into consideration.

The silence only reinforces what we've come to expect and it's highly disappointing.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These specific questions were asked in her Twitter thread, in regards to improving communications:
    1. How do you define communication?
    2. What types of things are you typically looking for?
    3. Where are you looking for it?

So while I think these have been answered in spades in this thread, it might be helpful for the Official Forum's community to tackle them point by point.

I'll start.

1. Personally, I don't think this needs definition. But, let's give it a try for the exercise of it:

For me, communication is simply the exchanging of information or news. Simple def, yes, but how much more complicated does it really need to be. In regards to gaming forums, I would include engagement of the community.

Why? One of the common criticisms, going back over a decade, is the sentiment on the player-side that sometimes a) Outside of "What do you think of x?" to start a conversation, that is the limit of participation from CMs and b) non-engagement breeds resentment, frustration, and a general feeling of disingenuousness to the process. We pay to be here, we have a voice. Perpetuating a culture of silence encourages hostility from the players, which in turn makes the team reps disinclined to engage..which creates a downward spiraling loop.

2. As above, engagement on a meaningful level. Regular CM-->player coms. I had a suggestion for a way to manage this on a weekly basis, in a Q&A format, that has seen success in another game for the last 15 years.

But, specifically, reliability of communications. Currently, we can rely on Crown Store monthly updates, maintenance announcements, Event announcements, and PTS threads. However, cut and paste (for the most part) isn't engagement. Additionally, timely responses to players who are actively trying to engage the communications team is huge. Case in point: this thread.

3. As has been mentioned several times in this thread, there has been a trend to shift focus onto social media portals for relevant news, tidbits, and communications that have simply been uprooted here and transplanted there. While I understand the relevancy of various media in today's world, and having a presence there, the Official Forum's community suffers from neglect. See point 1.

The problem with having multiple media to keep track of is twofold:

a) Having to have at least 4 accounts to cover Facebook, Discord, Twitch, and Twitter. Some people have concerns about information sharing. As has been noted, if the product is free, then you are the product.

b) Fractured, non-centralized information sources. Having to log onto multiple sites, then follow multiple people who are all posting individual content on the game becomes an exhausting, time-wasting effort.

The suggestions to help remedy that are to simply link ESO-relevant social media activity here. On the default Forums page, top bar, under the Official News and Updates header would be an excellent position for that page.

I'm looking forward to hearing other's input on @ZOS_GinaBruno 's direct questions to the community. Maybe this will help to make the conversation more succinct, allowing for an easier read.

Edited by _Zathras_ on January 23, 2022 9:59PM
  • Cillion3117
    Cillion3117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »
    How about more feedback in the Housing forum, where we don't see any info from the housing/furnishings team, and no reaction to our discussions? We only get feedback on houses players create, which is fine, but does not address our issues in the game regarding housing.

This^^^^
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    Youyouz06 wrote: »

The "official" forums is where I go for "official" announcements, discussions, etc... Twitter, Facebook, whatever other "Social Media" platform they communicate on, have never seen any of it and don't intend to. I will watch the occasional Twitch stream of theirs, well because they pay me to in crown gems. But even there, you won't see me chatting away in that stream that scrolls by so fast... I don't see how anyone could read it anyways.

I shouldn't have to sell my soul and personal info, generating untold amounts of email spam, in order to find out official information about on what's going on in a game I play.

Agreed.
    I think they should really use their own platforms and not be making deals with secondary services.
    I won't sign up.

A simple example for many of us long term players was the switch from our usual methods of communication: 'Forum, a teamspeak or mumble' to discord and twitch. It's become face paced and impersonal in some regards.
    Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on January 23, 2022 5:08PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey all, thanks so much for taking the time to write up so much great feedback here, and apologies it took a while to reply (something something about Global Reveal prep...). This whole thing started on my personal Twitter account as it was originally intended to be a broad discussion about communication in general within the games industry, but eventually morphed into a conversation about ESO specifically. Which is fine. But just wanted to clear up why this started on Twitter.

We've had some initial conversations amongst our team to discuss ways to improve communication across the board and some different things we could try. While it's still a bit too early to get into details here, we are doing our best to figure out how to get more information on both the forums and website rather than limiting much of it to social media and/or livestreams. While these avenues are great for some things, we recognize it's not always ideal. Information should be readily available without having to search for its source or needing to dig around for an answer. As was mentioned above, it can be pretty difficult to keep track of multiple platforms and while it's a blessing we live in a time when there are so many ways to consume information, it can also be pretty overwhelming.

As a first step, you may have noticed we posted the Q1 in-game event graphic here on the forums in addition to our social channels. Moving forward, we're going to try to err on the side of redundancy. This is going to be a process and while it's safe to assume there will still be times when some information will be posted just on social (for example, a bunch of live tweets going out in tandem with our event this Thursday) rest assured we are actively looking at ways to improve.

Thanks, as always, for the ongoing support!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey all, thanks so much for taking the time to write up so much great feedback here, and apologies it took a while to reply (something something about Global Reveal prep...). This whole thing started on my personal Twitter account as it was originally intended to be a broad discussion about communication in general within the games industry, but eventually morphed into a conversation about ESO specifically. Which is fine. But just wanted to clear up why this started on Twitter.

We've had some initial conversations amongst our team to discuss ways to improve communication across the board and some different things we could try. While it's still a bit too early to get into details here, we are doing our best to figure out how to get more information on both the forums and website rather than limiting much of it to social media and/or livestreams. While these avenues are great for some things, we recognize it's not always ideal. Information should be readily available without having to search for its source or needing to dig around for an answer. As was mentioned above, it can be pretty difficult to keep track of multiple platforms and while it's a blessing we live in a time when there are so many ways to consume information, it can also be pretty overwhelming.

As a first step, you may have noticed we posted the Q1 in-game event graphic here on the forums in addition to our social channels. Moving forward, we're going to try to err on the side of redundancy. This is going to be a process and while it's safe to assume there will still be times when some information will be posted just on social (for example, a bunch of live tweets going out in tandem with our event this Thursday) rest assured we are actively looking at ways to improve.

Would nice to see a after stream news letter of important points if we missed it.
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, thanks so much for taking the time to write up so much great feedback here, and apologies it took a while to reply (something something about Global Reveal prep...).

Understood. A lot of us are looking forward to it. As someone who has taken part in many events, I can appreciate the time investment needed.
    Information should be readily available without having to search for its source or needing to dig around for an answer. As was mentioned above, it can be pretty difficult to keep track of multiple platforms and while it's a blessing we live in a time when there are so many ways to consume information, it can also be pretty overwhelming.

Its good to hear that you and the rest of the team are on the same page. As a lot of people here have expressed, it can be a lot of keep track of. No one wants to feel like they are missing anything, or left out of the loop.
    This is going to be a process and while it's safe to assume there will still be times when some information will be posted just on social (for example, a bunch of live tweets going out in tandem with our event this Thursday) rest assured we are actively looking at ways to improve.

You rock! Thanks for directly chatting here. Good luck with the reveal prep!

Edited by _Zathras_ on January 25, 2022 9:48PM
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Gina. Looking forward to the reveal stream!
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thank You for the response!!
    1,000 Huzzahs to you!!
    Can't wait for Reveal!!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Kalik_Gold
    Kalik_Gold
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for coming through to the forums! Hoping for a great, and exciting reveal for 22' !!
    Main: (PvP & PvE)
    Ras Kalik a Redguard Templar, the Vestige

PvP:
    Aurik Siet'ka a Redguard Necromancer
    Cacique the Sage of Ius a Redguard Warden
    Jux Blackheart a Redguard Nightblade
    Goliath of Hammerfell a Redguard Dragonknight
    Kaotik Von Dae'mon a Redguard* Sorcerer

PvP: (Specialty)
    Tyrus Septim an Imperial Lycan Sorcerer
    Tsar af-Bomba a Redguard Vampiric Nightblade
    Movárth Piquine a Nord Vampiric Necromancer
    Uri Ice-Heart the Twin a Nord Vampiric Warden

PvE:
    Cinan Tharn an Imperial Dragonknight
    Bates Vesuius of Dawnstar an Imperial Dragonknight
    Herzog Zwei the Genesis an Akavari* Templar
    Tav'i at-Shinji a Redguard** Warden
    Lucky Hunch the Gambler - a Redguard Nightblade

Leveling...
    Zenovia at-Tura a Redguard** Sorcerer
    Yesi af-Kalik a Redguard Templar
    Voa a Priest of Sep a Redguard* Necromancer
    ======
    Passives of another race used. (RP)
    *Breton
    **Imperial

__________________________Backstories:_________________________

Ras Kalik the Vestige, a renown Redguard warrior; He has been blessed to save Tamriel from Molag Bal’s destructive Planemeld while reuniting the Five Companions. His further accomplishments after defeating Molag Bal, has been to stop the destruction of Morrowind, the Clockwork City, return order to the isle of Summerset and create a new king in Wrothgar and a queen in Elsywer. These events have made him a living legend and continue to lead him into new adventures throughout Tamriel, as well as into the hearts of many ladies including the Elf Queen, Aryenn. Over many years of adventurous travels, Ras Kalik had become a loner, until he re-visited his homeland of Alik'r.

Alik'r and it's cities were overrun by the undead Ra-Netu and therefore he made an allegiance with Alik'r's own Ash'abah tribe. These Ash'abah with his help, cleansed the city of Sentinel in Alik'r desert and it's surrounding areas of the undead brought to life by the Withered Hand. After rescuing Sentinel from the undead zombies, King Fahara’jad’s personal bodyguard the Goliath of Hammerfell, who was given this name by Imperials in the region; was asked to assist the tribe after learning of the defeat of the Withered Hand to the Ash'abah. Kalik promised Goliath he would task him with fighting living enemies on the battlefield if he so desired. Goliath being a Yokudan warrior wields a massive sword in respect to the Ansei, a gift given by the Imperial, Cinan Tharn. Not many soldiers are able to wield double two handed weapons, but Goliath loves to get up and personal in a fight, so he also carries a giant maul, both weapons laced with magical flames.

Jux Blackheart is a master thief that masquerades as a Bard at the Sisters of the Sands inn, with his younger sidekick Lucky Hunch for pilfering and gambling during this time. Jux was known to infiltrate any towns bank vault he came across and even delved into Ayelid ruins without detection. Kalik can vividly recall the night he met the famed thief. Jux found himself rummaging thru a slightly inebriated Kalik’s pocket for too long, on a full-mooned night and because of his greed and the glimmer of his golden armor in the moonlight. He lost his left pinky fingertip as a lesson! But in return, he gained a new friend, as it was his first time since a child being caught red-handed...

Upon arrival back in the Alik'r after many moons of adventuring, Ras Kalik ventures to Bergama. Visiting The Winking Jackal, he runs into Jux Blackheart, who introduces him to the coin game Crowns vs Forebearers (Heads vs Tails) and Golden Dwemer (RBG).... Jux constantly takes gold from the unfortunate thru theft or gambling, his biggest gambling victim is actually his partner in crime known as Lucky Hunch the Gambler. Lucky doesn't mind losing any gold coins to Jux... as Jux saved him from Altmer slavers in Summerset, by stealing a key and sending him on a boat to the mainland years prior. Lucky spent years in slavery with Khajiits in Summerset and picked up the art of subterfuge, using illusion magic disguises and stealing there.

Kaotik Von’Daemon an outcast, and a half-caste between a Breton mother and a Redguard father. Kaotik become a pariah due to his conjuration of Daedra pets. He was taught healing magic during his childhood years by his Breton mother. His father due to Redguard customs exiled him from the desert, sending him by wagon caravan to be a soldier in the war in Cyrodiil. He happened to meet Kalik while traveling from Alik'r, during this long caravan ride the caravan he was in was ambushed in Bangkorai by a group of bandits. Kalik by chance was also traveling thru this area on his Auridon Warhorse (which was bestowed to him by his friend, Darien Gautier). During this ambush, Kalik was able to rescue five hostages from the bandits. Kaotik was the first rescued, and Ras Kalik also recruited him to be in the Ash'abah tribe. These core Ash'abah tribesmen may never be seen together in travel as they partake in their own adventures but they always know what each other is doing; as they frequent a hideout in northern Bankorai. Their hideout an old Orc castle ruin, is kept watch by Nuzhimeh and she passes messages written between them, and frequently they also enjoy her company and her bed.

The other men rescued were a Dunmer banker, an Imperial mercenary and two other soldiers, an Imperial and a Breton Knight, stating proudly he was an Akavir descendent. One of the Imperials, Cinan, claimed to be related to Abnur Tharn the Battlemage of the Imperial Elder Council (One of Ras Kalik's mentors in the Five Companions). Cinan Tharn was really Abnur's drunkard treasure hunting illegitimate son. He was caught smuggling artifacts out of the Ayleid ruins in Cyrodiil and the elder of the two Imperials was Tyrus Septim a retired Imperial navy battle-mage (now a Lycan mercenary living in the city of Rimmen) and guard to the Tharn family. As much as Abnur Tharn hated his half-sister Euraxia, he dislikes his bas†ard son Cinan more. Tyrus now a ruffian and privateer had been paid by Abnur Tharn to watch over Cinan as much as possible. Cinan Tharn a drunkard, loves to drink at least a quarter barrel of Nord mead before he raids various delves and dungeons for relics to sell on the black market. Cinan also plans to one day, run an illegal gambling ring... which he thinks will net him more gold for his wares.

The Dunmer captive shackled to the Imperials looked familiar to Kalik from his time in Morrowind.... and he recognized him as Tythis Andromo a House Telvanni slave-owner and banker from Vvardenfell. During a rough interrogation to Tythis, Ras Kalik learnt why the bandits accosted him. The racist Dunmer was providing slaves as soldiers for the Three Banner War. The bandits were trying to negotiate a lucrative ransom for Andromo and the Imperials.... Kalik did not need any of this gold and he could never set Tythis free as he did with the two Imperial soldiers. His past involvement with slavery and war crimes, made Kalik's blood boil. He chose not to execute Tythis, as he figured the worse punishment for this former rich and opulent slave owner, is to now be an imprisoned servant for Ras Kalik and the tribe.

Herzog Zwei the Genesis a reknown Imperial/Akavirri battle-mage. His roots going back to Akavir through his mother’s bloodline. (His mother is descended from the Akaviri, through Versidue-Shae, and his Imperial father met her in Hakoshae, while traveling) Herzog earned the nickname "the Genesis" from his father as a child, as he was his mother's first born child, and last, as she tragically died in child-birth.

Herzog was seeking to purchase an artifact from Cinan Tharn, before their capture and was meeting Tyrus while in Rimmen, who introduced him to Cinan. This artifact being the Ayelid artifact; the sword Sinweaver. After their rescue and the exchange of gold to Cinan for the sword he decided to slip away before Ras Kalik could question who he was, and why the Akavir descendant really wanted that sword. Herzog was headed to Nagastani — An Ayleid ruin in eastern Cyrodiil. He had read in scrolls that the Sword would give him magical powers to meet his mothers spirit, if he performed an Ayleid ritual at an old shrine hidden there. Equipped with the artifact sword, he was off to start his own adventure but Ras Kalik, did indeed notice the sword however and instead sent a letter to Jux Blackheart (whom also was interested in Ayleid treasures), to attempt to find Herzog and acquire the sword. (*Azani Blackheart in Elder Scroll's Oblivion is Jux's descendant some 747 years later)

And so the Redguard, Imperial and Akaviri men parted ways ... While Ras Kalik went off to Elsweyr to encounter the latest threat to Tamriel, with Abnur Tharn and Sai Sahan - - DRAGONS!! Little did Ras Kalik know a few people were awaiting him in Senchal besides Sai. A necromancer survived his attack on the Withered Hand, while in Alik'r. The necromancer known as Auriek Siet'ka is also following him to the land of the Khajiits and Cacique the Sage of Ius a Shaman mystic who has become attuned spiritually with Tu'whacca (a Redguard God) and Ius (the Animal God), after being burned severely by the escaped dragons in Elsywer, is awaiting his arrival also. Aurik is a soldier of the Daggerfall Covenant that was introduced to necromancy while in the military, even though this magicka art is not spoken of openly by most of the Military leaders. He came to Alik'r and worked with the Withered Hand before Ras Kalik intervened on their plans. After the defeat of the Withered Hand, he aligned with the Worm Cult, and is constantly adapting and perfecting his necromantic arts.

After his journey to Rimmen, Kalik heads south to Senchal, in the southern regions of Elyswer. This new adventure will also put him on a path to meet a strange Redguard man. The stranger which was infected with an untreated Peyrite disease and also was the exiled from the Order of the New Moon cult, due to his sickness. He originally joined the cult to worship Laatvulon, the green dragon, mistakenly thinking it was the Daedric prince Peyrite. This confused and suffering cultist is known as Tsar al-Bomba and he is on a path to spread the disease. He was originally infected in Orccrest while recruiting members there. Can Ras Kalik and the shaman Cacique cure this poor soul, only time will tell. Little does Tsar al-Bomba know, that his infection is tied to Vampirism, and eventually the desire for blood will take over his mind. Senchal also offers Kalik his latest love interest... Aeliah. Whom he fondly led thru battles with the Dragonguard.

After the trek thru the heat, tropical and desert climate of Northern and Southern Elyswer, Ras Kalik heads north to the cold mountain range of Skyrim. His companion friend Lyris beckons for him with a letter sent by crow...

Movárth Piquine - a former vampire hunter (now infected), within the Fighter's Guild (and a secretive necromancer) was in Skyrim working with the Morthaal Guard. On a patrol mission he was caught in Frewien's ice curse outside of Morthaal with the frozen undead. Movárth's vampiric infection kept him from becoming an undead minion to the curse. He was able to use necromantic ice-magic to encase himself safely until he was freed with Freiwen, when the Vestige Ras Kalik broke the curse.

Uri Ice-Heart - brother of Urfon Ice-Heart. The twin sons of Atli and Oljourn Ice-Heart. The Ice-Heart family are originally from Markarth but now reside on the Jerall Mountain range near Cyrodiil, with their younger sister Araki. The twins had joined the Winterborn Reachmen while living in Markarth. Urfon pushed west to Orsinium with the Winterborn Clan, leaving his family behind. Uri stayed behind with his parents and sister to live in the family cabin for safety, avoiding the Vampire plague infiltrating the Reach. After news reaches him and he hears of Urfon's death... Uri leaves and heads home and is seeking vengeance. Meanwhile, his sister has also moved on to Windhelm to join the Fighter's guild. He will visit his sister, once before going to seek vengeance and she will craft him armor mixed with ice, called Stalhrim armor. Uri fearing death, after his brother's passing, falls victim to the convincing talk of Movárth at a Nordic tavern, and will also becomes a vampire.

{time moves forward through the hour-glass}
    PS5/NA - Ras Kalik a Redguard Templar - Daggerfall Covenant • 1550+ Champion

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Gina - that's all good to hear!

• NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭

As a first step, you may have noticed we posted the Q1 in-game event graphic here on the forums in addition to our social channels. Moving forward, we're going to try to err on the side of redundancy.
    A better way to think of it is just being more comprehensive.

Maybe the 'dev tracker' widget can be further expanded?
    (although the whole "from personal account" aspect does get a bit tricky)

Anyways, i appreciated your post and, imo, more truth & transparency = best route to take.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is good to see and I will readily admit I wasn't really thinking about the live reveal coming up causing a delay in getting a response here. Thank you for this!
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for both discussing our feedback with your team and for taking the time to respond here, letting us know that we've been heard! It means a lot.

I'm thrilled to hear that your team understands our pain points about information being scattered and hard to search for amongst various sources. As someone who always likes to have an official source to refer others to in later discussions, I look forward to seeing changes.

Finally, I do want to thank you for the original conversation on Twitter. While I only read it after the fact, it gave me some glimpses into how your team approaches aspects of communication that helped me have more empathy for your situation. For example, I've been rather disappointed that your team stopped doing those periodic updates on performance. Explaining that you felt those updates were unsatisfying to the majority of players helps me better understand why you stopped doing something that, from my perspective, was helpful.

That's the sort of open communication and conversations I hope can keep happening...just maybe, as you say, erring on the side of redundancy when it comes to platform.
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In terms of communication I'd like to bring up something discovered the other day.

We had a power cut about 4pm, out of the blue power goes off for the street. Now, I visit the national power outtage website, type in post code and it comes up with 2 open tickets concerning powercuts.

1. The first message says 'underground cable issue, engineer en route' with an ETA for a fix, and a couple of updates clearly explaining what they're doing and a tracker for solving the problem.
    2. The second message, timed from 8am, says the same thing BUT has an update at 3:55 saying 'we're gonna have to shut power down for a few nearby neighbourhoods to be able to fix this'.

So, in terms of communication:
    It was GREAT that they kept open and clear communication, with plain english that gave a realistic ETA for a fix.
    It was GREAT that even though the power came back on a for a couple of minutes, it was well before the planned fix time and so I was aware it'd go off again.
    It was TERRIBLE that the power company gave away the secret that I did not, in fact, have a power cut but had my power cut to enable them to fix somebody elses power with no warning during the middle of the work day.

The terrible comment is not related to communication, it just sucks. Giving people clear information and updating it in plain english helps people through difficult periods because not knowing is the worst. At the same time, did they overshare by telling us about the fact we didn't have a powercut the company just chose to do it as the only way to fix other people? It's a gamble and one in which most companies would choose NOT to do so.

Overall I was annoyed for a few minutes that our power cut was fictitious, but satiated that I was given so much information about the situation that I could plan accordingly (in the dark of course!)

Looping this back to online gaming companies is you don't actually use meaningful communication - you either worry about offending people, or overcompensate and go too friendly in the communique that there's no useful information provided. If an electrical supply company can update tickets in real time, I'm sure a gaming company could do a similar issue using their community managers, even if the ticket looked like:

12:43pm January 30th 2022
    Issue: Heavy Attacks not cancelling correctly
    Programmer has attempted to remove lines of code to fix the STOP issue but doing so simply caused it to be deactivated until re-starting game.

I wouldn't understand half of it, but I'd be comforted that they're working on it. (If I chose to get angry I'm pretty sure I'd just look like a jerk in doing so)
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Amottica wrote: »
    The reality is player interest is what keeps a thread alive and many of those threads die due to having a very limited number of people posting to them.

It's also important to note that a thread that has a lot of views and posts doesn't mean it has a lot of support. In fact it's generally the case that it's the topics the community is most divided on.

Ones that people overwhelming dislike tend to devolve quickly and fall away. Ones that people overwhelming support tend to get a few "good ideas, QFT, I support this" etc and then also fall away.

It's the ones where people have strong opinions on and clash that end up with the most views and posts. Both because sides form and people debate a lot, and because others enjoy the popcorn.

I completely agree. I have seen many of them have the same few people posting over and over. To be fair, it is usually both sides of the argument that ensues in the threads that have small numbers posting back and forth. Then again, I think it is a very small portion of the player base that frequents the forums.

Very small. My guess is that this is why ZOS does not promote their new content on the forum. Instead, it seems that they depend on promotion in other social media venues. Talk about the new content has virtually come to a stand still in here, but there is still hype in Twitter and Twitch land as various streamers and VIPs are getting their letter and coin and posting about it.

The website is their official notification. Social media, like the forums, is just secondary. They have even said they reach more people via the website.
  • DagenHawk
    DagenHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the entire communication system needs to be tore down and rebuilt for the ground up. Folks talk about how Twitch and Twitter streams of Devs are personal, yet often times it is the only place you are going to get your specific question answered...

You have to wade through their extra curricular activities their leftist politics, and non employees insulting the player base to find snarky answers to simple questions.

Employees should not talk about the game on unofficial streams Period
    Developers relatives should not have even a pseudo platform no if's ands or but's
    There needs to be a monthly letter from the producer update that has a Q&A segment.
    Finally there needs to be consequences for ANY employee that insults or allows, degrading comment towards the player base.

I usually have positive things to say about ESO...but the terrible communication, and the lack of respect towards their only revenue stream (the players) has to stop.

This is above the actual issues that the game is facing, this is about respect to those who thought they found a gaming home here...#ESOFAM my afterburners

Devs bloviate about "Safe Spaces" on their Twitter, Twitch, and here on the forums...but the so called safe spaces are a mirage. I don't expect a single word to be said about these issues on the game reveal tomorrow...the devs will hide under their desk as usual and the terrible customer service will continue.

Edited by DagenHawk on January 26, 2022 9:12PM