The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Forum threads should autoclose 6 months after the last reply!

SimonThesis
SimonThesis
✭✭✭✭✭
Seems like a lot of the forums managers have to close threads people reply to after being dead for years. Instead of making them do more work, have threads autoclose after 6 months from the last reply. @ZOS_Kevin
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many forum software packages include a setting like that, and I think Vanilla used to as well (years back now), but it may no longer be available in this current iteration.

I do believe your suggestion is a good idea - it's just a matter of whether the current code allows for that.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen other forums with this feature and have wondered why Zenimax doesn’t have this contractor provide the same. I am not doing to say it’s simple to do but it can be done and it adds value for all the contractors customers. Zenimax doesn’t manage the back end of these forums.

The threads remain available to read. They just close.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! I don't use vanilla myself any more so had no idea!
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PHP BB is so much better.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LalMirchi wrote: »
    PHP BB is so much better.

Yup.
  • Stanx
    Stanx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But then how will I practice my necromancy skills?
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This makes absolutely no sense.

I find TONS of relevant info in posts that are MANY years old, and many of the conversations could indeed be added to

Most of the necro’d threads just get closed as an automatic knee-jerk because it’s old - slapped with a “the information might not be relevant” close tag - when it is obvious that the mod has clearly not even read the posts, often from a topic that could very well be relevant still.

S.
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭

I find TONS of relevant info in posts that are MANY years old, and many of the conversations could indeed be added to

Most of the necro’d threads just get closed as an automatic knee-jerk because it’s old - slapped with a “the information might not be relevant” close tag - when it is obvious that the mod has clearly not even read the posts, often from a topic that could very well be relevant still.

S.

yea but e.g. i had a bug like 3years ago and postet it - 1week after someone gave me the solution and recently someone wrote something in the post again which was obviously uneccasry cause my problem was solved for years

true that the fix provided could still work but closing a thread still allows u to read it just not to awnser

and i hate old threads being revived than i need to read everything again cause i frogot everything just to notice the thread being from 2016 so noone who would read my awnser would care

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had one of my threads resurrected and just asked the mods to close it because the info about the Earthgore helms had become completely outdated due to nerfs between when I wrote it and when someone raised it from the dead.

My objection to closing all threads is that it makes it impossible to properly quote comments after closure.

That's a problem when I'm trying to quote a comment from a ZOS Dev for future reference, but the thread is closed. Unlike copy-paste, the quote function is an easy link back to the original content so that other players can refer to the original context and double check my accuracy as needed.

A few draugr threads roaming the front pages is a small price to pay for that QOL feature.

Moreover, there's been a few of those threads where it's players adding solutions or adding information to a long-standing bug that ZOS hasn't fixed. While it's tempting to say "Just start a new thread" the truth is that most players find those old threads through Google's search algorithm as they hunt for a solution to their problem. The best place for them to put their solutiom/problem is that thread because that's where Google will direct future players looking for answers. And if ZOS doesn't like that type of draugr thread, then maybe they should fix the glitched quests before they accrue years of players asking for solutions.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, 6 months is too long... :smile: That is a forum eternity.

I do wish they would close them after time. Not only is it the case where the contents may be out of date, but the people participating in that thread may have moved on. Make a new thread if it is important to discuss.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forum posters: close threads that are dead

Also forum posters: Why U not SEARCH FUNCTION for ur issue!
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    :lol:

In many cases a mere 6mirco seconds is too long for a thread being open :wink:
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few draugr threads roaming the front pages is a small price to pay for that QOL feature.

Moreover, there's been a few of those threads where it's players adding solutions or adding information to a long-standing bug that ZOS hasn't fixed. While it's tempting to say "Just start a new thread" the truth is that most players find those old threads through Google's search algorithm as they hunt for a solution to their problem. The best place for them to put their solutiom/problem is that thread because that's where Google will direct future players looking for answers. And if ZOS doesn't like that type of draugr thread, then maybe they should fix the glitched quests before they accrue years of players asking for solutions.

Agreed, and also, old threads are part of the forum's, and the game's history, and checking up on a date of something only takes a second, so I don't see why they should be removed.
  • gamma71
    gamma71
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's fun to Necro things and watch people reply to things no longer relevant.
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »

Agreed, and also, old threads are part of the forum's, and the game's history, and checking up on a date of something only takes a second, so I don't see why they should be removed.

close thread isnt the same as delete thread

closed means its still there u can read it just not reply to it
    and who cares for forum history xd 1. time someone ever spoke of that
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forum posters: close threads that are dead

Also forum posters: Why U not SEARCH FUNCTION for ur issue!

You could still read and search for a closed/archived thread...
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, but like mentioned above, you can't quote from them, which links to the original thread, you could only copy-paste, and link, that's a more roundabout way. To each their own, I like having the threads open, especially for long-standing ones.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had one of my threads resurrected and just asked the mods to close it because the info about the Earthgore helms had become completely outdated due to nerfs between when I wrote it and when someone raised it from the dead.

My objection to closing all threads is that it makes it impossible to properly quote comments after closure.

That's a problem when I'm trying to quote a comment from a ZOS Dev for future reference, but the thread is closed. Unlike copy-paste, the quote function is an easy link back to the original content so that other players can refer to the original context and double check my accuracy as needed.

You may manually fix any other quoted comment, for example
    [quote="VaranisArano;c-7445890"]I've had one of my threads resurrected and just asked the mods to close it because the info about the Earthgore helms had become completely outdated due to nerfs between when I wrote it and when someone raised it from the dead.
    [/quote]

may be changed to
    [quote="VaranisArano;c-4801879"] I can see where the strong heals are a problem for small groups. Its harder for opposing small groups to generate enough damage to overcome the heals.
    [/quote]

where 4801879 is the internal ID of the comment (it is shown in the comment URL in the comment number (#5)).
    The result is
    I can see where the strong heals are a problem for small groups. Its harder for opposing small groups to generate enough damage to overcome the heals.

To quote the opening post you should look at the thread ID, so
    [quote="SimonThesis;d-591319"]Seems like a lot of the forums managers have to close threads people reply to after being dead for years.[/quote]

may be turned into
    [quote="VaranisArano;d-391313"]From the latest PTS patch notes:
    Earthgore: This item set’s proc now only dispels one enemy Area of Effect ability in its radius, instead of all of them.[/quote]

The result is
    From the latest PTS patch notes:
    Earthgore: This item set’s proc now only dispels one enemy Area of Effect ability in its radius, instead of all of them.

You should still copy and paste the content of the comment.
    Edited by Olauron on November 15, 2021 11:24AM
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, but like mentioned above, you can't quote from them, which links to the original thread, you could only copy-paste, and link, that's a more roundabout way. To each their own, I like having the threads open, especially for long-standing ones.

maybe than update the forum to make it possible to qupte closed threads and auto delete after x moths inaktivity?
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

S.

I agree with this. A lot of old threads are still relevant and I've seen some get ressurected with renewed and vigorous discussion. Although I guess in cases like this you could just reference the old as a post in a new, continued (part II) thread.
    Give 'er eh!
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I do agree with you, I also hope this thread won't be closed and in 2-3 years someone will necro it
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I readily admit that necro'ed threads can sometimes be a nuisance, I don't like the idea of an auto-lock based on time.

I just reviewed my bookmarked threads list and find several that are old and I hope never get locked - because they remain fully relevant and/or are updated regularly by the thread's originator. Just one example in Miss Bizz' Forum FAQ thread here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/349256/unofficial-forum-faq#latest.

Another concern is 'unintended consequences' of people bumping threads just shy of 6 months so they don't get locked.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very much agreed, or communicate clearly what the actual boundary is. Also if a thread is closed for being out of date we should at least be told what is out of date - if not, it's logical to leave it open because it shows how longstanding the issue and cuts down on noise on the forums.

I think part of the problem is the screen layouts on the mobile. The page navigation buttons on the browser are out of order and I think users are just thinking they're clicking next, comment, and then realize it's super old.

It's [previous][first]1[last][next].

That makes no sense. It should be:
    [first][previous]1[next][last].

I think that simple change would help.

@ZOS_Kevin Can we get a clear definition of what the threshold is? And can you pass long the feedback on the button layout?
    Edited by Destai on November 15, 2021 2:04PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »

You may manually fix any other quoted comment, for example
    [quote="VaranisArano;c-7445890"]I've had one of my threads resurrected and just asked the mods to close it because the info about the Earthgore helms had become completely outdated due to nerfs between when I wrote it and when someone raised it from the dead.
    [/quote]

may be changed to
    [quote="VaranisArano;c-4801879"] I can see where the strong heals are a problem for small groups. Its harder for opposing small groups to generate enough damage to overcome the heals.
    [/quote]

where 4801879 is the internal ID of the comment (it is shown in the comment URL in the comment number (#5)).
    The result is
    I can see where the strong heals are a problem for small groups. Its harder for opposing small groups to generate enough damage to overcome the heals.

To quote the opening post you should look at the thread ID, so
    [quote="SimonThesis;d-591319"]Seems like a lot of the forums managers have to close threads people reply to after being dead for years.[/quote]

may be turned into
    [quote="VaranisArano;d-391313"]From the latest PTS patch notes:
    Earthgore: This item set’s proc now only dispels one enemy Area of Effect ability in its radius, instead of all of them.[/quote]

The result is
    From the latest PTS patch notes:
    Earthgore: This item set’s proc now only dispels one enemy Area of Effect ability in its radius, instead of all of them.

You should still copy and paste the content of the comment.

Experiment time! I tend to quote a lot of old Dev comments from locked threads, so I should test if this works there too.

Right away, I hit a problem. I'm on mobile and don't have post numbers. There's no easy way to get the comment URL on mobile unless its been quoted by someone further in the thread. Fortunately, the quote I chose was and I was able to get the comment URL from that quote. Unfortunately, I can tell you that some of the Dev and Mod quotes I reference were done in the thread's closing message, and thus cannot be easily referenced on mobile as far as I know. If there's a better workaround, please let me know!

Anyways, test comment:
    As with many things in-game, context is very important. The act of standing and squatting over another NPC or character to teabag them can be considered a form of harassment which can be a violation of the Terms of Service (ToS). As with all forms of harassment, if a player asks you to stop a behavior, you need to stop. If you continue to teabag someone that asks you to stop, that is a violation of the ToS and may lead to your account being suspended or even permanently banned. Hope this helps clear things up

Yay! It worked!

Thank you for explaining how to do that!

(It's still a pain to do and especially on mobile, so I'd rather not have to do it for every thread older than 6 months or a year compared to the ease of simply quoting from the majority of non-closed threads.)
    Edited by VaranisArano on November 15, 2021 1:51PM
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't count how many times I have replied to threads that were years old because the problem I'm having has resurfaced again. ESO has a wack a mole problem with many things, from bugs, content, lag and so on. Also, when someone makes an opinion thread and someone agrees with it two years later, does that make the thread invalid? No it does not.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right away, I hit a problem. I'm on mobile and don't have post numbers. There's no easy way to get the comment URL on mobile unless its been quoted by someone further in the thread. Fortunately, the quote I chose was and I was able to get the comment URL from that quote. Unfortunately, I can tell you that some of the Dev and Mod quotes I reference were done in the thread's closing message, and thus cannot be easily referenced on mobile as far as I know. If there's a better workaround, please let me know!
    I have checked the mobile version and it is worse, but there is still a way to get thread or comment ID. In every comment under the author name there is either date or month with the year. This is a hyperlink. Opening it (preferably in new tab) will put the ID in the URL on top of the browser. It will be something like "discussion/comment/ID/#Comment_ID" for the comment or "discussion/ID" for the thread / first comment (where ID are numbers).
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »
    I have checked the mobile version and it is worse, but there is still a way to get thread or comment ID. In every comment under the author name there is either date or month with the year. This is a hyperlink. Opening it (preferably in new tab) will put the ID in the URL on top of the browser. It will be something like "discussion/comment/ID/#Comment_ID" for the comment or "discussion/ID" for the thread / first comment (where ID are numbers).

Oh wow! I don't believe I've ever bothered to click on the date. Thanks a ton for finding the workaround!
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uhm, no. Especially if the topic is relevant, they should be open for posting for as long as these forums will last IMHO.
    I could see some mods closing 'old' threads but then again they try to group similarly opened thread into a single one?!? Makes no sense.

By keeping them open & allowing replies keeps things tidier and acts as a knowledge base. Useful for that search function too.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hey @SimonThesis. Thanks for the feedback. We have been considering the pros and cons of potentially implementing something like this. Having feedback like this is helpful as we consider if a feature like this helpful to the community and our moderators. Appreciate you bringing this up and thoughts from others on whether players support this or not. We'll keep an eye on this thread for more feedback on this potential feature.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post