Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Unofficial Forum FAQ

MissBizz
MissBizz
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Myself with the help of some fellow Community Ambassadors have thrown together a small forum FAQ. Tried to cover everything from people reading the forums who can't seem to get an account, to little tricks that some people may not know. Let me know yours thoughts! (And if I have typo's or messed something up) Enjoy!

Forum Accounts
How do I make a forums account?
When creating your ESO account, you would have received an email with a link inside, inviting you to the forums. If you missed this email, or if the invite has expired, please contact support and request a forums account. Be sure to include at least 3 usernames you would like to use.

How do I change my forum username?
You can post in this thread. When posting be sure you post at least 3 usernames you would like (in case your first choice is taken). You are only allowed to change your forum username once, so choose wisely. In a situation where you need an immediate name change (for example, your name contains your real name) Please message one of the active mods on duty or one of the mods in the name change thread.

Forum Username Requirements
Must contain 3 to 20 characters.
May contain alphanumeric [a-z, A-Z, 0-9] characters.
It cannot contain spaces or punctuation, but an underscore or dash is acceptable.

Notifications
Why do I get notifications when X, or why don't I?
There's many notification settings, some include getting notified of any new posts on all threads you comment in! You can also choose to receive notifications via email or just little popups in the browser. You can change these settings to your liking by clicking the cog wheel by your username and heading to "notification settings".

My notifications for most stuff is off, but I'm getting them!
Often people don't change the settings for "bookmarked" threads. You may have accidentally clicked the star near the top of a thread to "bookmark" it. To change this click the star at the top of the forums by your name and select the thread. To the right of the thread title will be a star you can click to deselect it.. this will make the thread no longer bookmarked.

Pinging (Mentioning) People
When you tag someone with their forum @name they will likely receive a notification. If you quote a post from someone else that contains an @name mention, that person will continually get pinged every time that quote thread gets requoted... so if they have nothing to do with the conversation, just removing the @ sign will stop them from getting pinged ;)

Post Formatting/Styling
Thread Formats
ESO Forums have a couple post options, Discussion (regular thread), Ask a Question and Poll. Ask a question will allow you to choose a reply as an answered, and the "answer" posts will then display under the post opening so they are easier to find. Polls can be created to be public (everyone sees what everyone voted) or private (no way to see who voted for what). You can NOT edit poll choices once the poll has been posted. To select a post format, when you are in the correct category, look for "New Discussion" and click that for discussion, or click the drop down arrow beside it to instead created an Ask a Question or Poll thread.

I made a thread and can't edit my post!
Don't worry, you can! Normally the cog wheel to edit your post is in the top right corner of your post. When you create a thread, the cog wheel to edit the inital thread post (and title) is actually to the right of the post title, above your actual post.

How to Style
Most BBcode works in the ESO forums, check below the post box for a link explaining it.

How to Post Images
Most of the forums do not allow for file/image upload (only PTS forums allow this). In order to post an image in a post you must first upload it to a third party site such as Imgur. Once the image has been uploaded there, right click the image and choose "Copy image address" Use the following code in your post to display the image: (replace the image address/url with the one you copied from your iamge)
[img]http://i.imgur.com/5iDMnSC.jpg[/img]

If you use the above code in a post you will see:
5iDMnSC.jpg

You can also post an image by choosing the "image" icon at the top of your post, and pasting the image URL there.

Spoilers, Quotes and Code
To create quotes (not attached to an actual post), spoilers or show code (such as BBCode) - click the backwards P above your posting box. You will be given these options. Using the code option I'll show you the BBcode clicking that will create.

Spoiler:
[ spoiler ]Spoiler content here[/ spoiler] without spaces

Quotes:
[quote]Quote content here[/quote]
Code:
This doesn't work too well to show you it. Use [ code]insert coding to show here[/ code] without the spaces.

Finding your way around
Dev Tracker
The Dev Tracker is a handy way to see what any community managers or devs have posted! Any forum mod post (AKA - remember to read the rules type of post) will not appear here.

Z By Post Title
When you see a Z by a post title, it means a community manager, dev, or forum mod has posted in that thread. You can go directly to their post by clicking the Z icon.

Moving to next Dev Comment
If you do the above, you can see if there have been any more Z posts by clicking on the < or > that is beside the mini Z icon in the top right corner of the dev post. This will bring you to the next or previous dev post in that thread (if there are any)

Find original comment
When you see someone has quoted someone else, you can click the >> by the quotee's name to head to the original post the quote came from.

Bookmarking Threads
Have a thread you would like to keep tabs on? There is a star to the right of the thread title that you can click to bookmark it. Depending on your notifications settings, this may notify you whenever someone posts in the thread. To find your bookmarked threads, click the star icon beside your name.

Forum Ranks (Stars)
What do the stars mean?
The stars are kind of like your forum "level". Levels or "stars" are granted for accruing points.

How do I gain points?
Points are gained at 1 per reaction someone gives you (insightful, agree, awesome) and larger numbers are given for badges which are unlocked (eg 10 comments badge is worth 5 points).

What badges are available? How many points do they give?
    First Comment - 2 Points
    10 Comments - 5 Points
    100 Comments - 10 Points
    500 Comments - 15 Points
    1000 Comments - 20 Points
    2500 Comments - 20 Points
    5000 comments - 20 Points
    10000 Comments - 20 Points
    25000 Comments - 20 Points
    50000 Comments - 20 Points

5 Insightfuls - 5 Points
    25 Insightfuls - 5 Points
    100 Insightfuls - 10 Points
    250 Insightfuls - 25 Points
    500 Insightfuls - 50 Points

5 Agrees - 5 Points
    25 Agrees - 5 Points
    100 Agrees - 10 Points
    250 Agrees - 25 Points
    500 Agress - 50 Points

5 Awesomes - 5 Points
    25 Awesomes - 5 Points
    100 Awesomes - 10 Points
    250 Awesomes - 25 Points
    500 Awesomes - 50 Points

First Answer - 2 Points
    5 Answers - 3 Points
    25 Answers - 5 Points
    50 Answers - 10 Points
    100 Answers - 15 Points
    250 Answers - 20 Points

First Anniversary - 5 Points
    Second Anniversary - 5 Points
    Third Anniversary - 5 Points
    Fourth Anniversary - 5 Points
    Fifth Anniversary - 5 Points
    Sixth Anniversary - 5 Points
    Seventh Anniversary - 5 Points
    Eighth Anniversary - 5 Points
    Ninth Anniversary - 5 Points
    Tenth Anniversary - 5 Points

Name Dropper - 5 Points
    Photogenic - 10 Points

Disabled/Retired Badges

5 LOLs - 5 Points
    25 LOLs - 5 Points
    100 LOLs - 10 Points
    250 LOLs - 25 Points
    500 LOLs - 50 Points

5 Likes - 5 Points
    25 Likes - 5 Points
    100 Likes - 10 Points
    250 Likes - 25 Points
    500 Likes - 50 Points

5 Up Votes - 5 Points
    25 Up Votes - 5 Points
    100 Up Votes - 10 Points
    250 Up Votes - 25 Points
    500 Up Votes - 50 Points

Facebook Connector - 10 Points
    Twitter Connector - 10 Points

Unknown Activity Badges

Ancient Membership - 5 Points
    Combo Breaker - 5 Points

How many points do I need for X stars? (Could use confirmation)
    1. 25
    2. 50
    3. 100
    4. 500
    5. 1000
    6. 2000
    7. 4000
    8. 6000
    9. 8000
    10. 10000
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    • Turelus
      Turelus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I fully support this product, even if it missing the part which tells everyone to give me +1 to all my posts. :tongue:

Hope it helps everyone to learn some features of the forums and get posting! Even I learnt a thing from it!

Edit for stupid phone autocorrects.
      Edited by Turelus on June 2, 2017 4:48PM
      @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
      "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    • Rouven
      Rouven
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Nice writeup. I feel a little visual could help, just a screenshot highlighting the areas. Maybe add how to find your own posts again.

Edit: Options to bookmark threads? That is sort of in there, just read over it.
      Edited by Rouven on June 2, 2017 5:43PM
      Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
    • MissBizz
      MissBizz
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Rouven wrote: »
      Nice writeup. I feel a little visual could help, just a screenshot highlighting the areas. Maybe add how to find your own posts again.

@Rouven Good calls! Especially the images actually. I will see if I can toss together some over the weekend while I am hurting from too many refreshing beverages.

Edit: Yeah I'll do a section on bookmarking as well.
      Edited by MissBizz on June 2, 2017 5:51PM
      Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    • Potenza
      Potenza
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Anniverseries - 1 - 10 years

What happens after 10 years?
    • MissBizz
      MissBizz
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Potenza wrote: »
      Anniverseries - 1 - 10 years

What happens after 10 years?

We don't know... There is an ancient badge so maybe that one? We've got a few more years to go before we find out...
    • Waffennacht
      Waffennacht
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It's nice to know that it doesn't take more than 2k points to get a star after this point, ty
      Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
      1300+ CP
      Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    • Turelus
      Turelus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It's nice to know that it doesn't take more than 2k points to get a star after this point, ty
      Those are as close as I could get and I believe they're correct. If the information doesn't seem correct to anyone let MissBizz know to update it. I'll also feel bad for being bad at the forums.
      "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    • lygerseye
      lygerseye
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Suggestion... Add: How to add/link images and videos in a post.

Tried and failed multiple times when I first joined.
      Edited by lygerseye on June 2, 2017 7:46PM
    • Waffennacht
      Waffennacht
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      lygerseye wrote: »

Tried and failed multiple times what I first joined.

Isn't it [ img ] [ / img ] with the link in between? It's gotta be posted on something like Photobucket.
      Edited by Waffennacht on June 2, 2017 7:45PM
      Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
      1300+ CP
      Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    • Tornaad
      Tornaad
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      How do you do the spoiler button?
    • Turelus
      Turelus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Zuboko wrote: »
      The quote button (backwards P) is a drop down which creates tags.

[ spoiler ] text [ /spoiler ]
      Edited by Turelus on June 2, 2017 8:41PM
    • Rouven
      Rouven
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Same format as the img, so no spaces inbetween the [ and the command.

[ spoiler ] this is a spoiler [ /spoiler ]
    • MissBizz
      MissBizz
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

@lygerseye That has been added under Post Formatting. let me know if it makes sense :)\

Will add that as well.
    • IronCrystal
      IronCrystal
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      The number of points per level and how to gain points is helpful. Explains why it takes so long to level
      Make PC NA raiding great again!

Down with drama!

What Mechanics Healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer

Homestead Raid Scores
      vHRC 157,030
      vAA 138,287
      vSO 153,393
      vMoL 154,550

Not raiding in Morrowind
    • ZOS_GinaBruno
      ZOS_GinaBruno
      Community Manager
      Awesome thread, thanks for putting it together @MissBizz and everyone else :)
      Gina Bruno
      Senior Community Manager
      Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
      Staff Post
    • lygerseye
      lygerseye
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      MissBizz wrote: »

@lygerseye That has been added under Post Formatting. let me know if it makes sense :)\

Looks good! The "3.5 years-ago-forum-me" would have appreciated this knowledge!
    • Rouven
      Rouven
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Well here is a question for the forum pros.

Is there actually a difference between the English US and the English Int'l forum? :)

Seems to me the same threads are coming up, or are there hidden gems only to be found deep within the Intel inside?
    • MissBizz
      MissBizz
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Rouven wrote: »
      Well here is a question for the forum pros.

Is there actually a difference between the English US and the English Int'l forum? :)

Seems to me the same threads are coming up, or are there hidden gems only to be found deep within the Intel inside?

They redirect to the same forum. ;)
    • Shimmer
      Shimmer
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      @UrQuan I told you the stars meant something!!!
      YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
    • Tornaad
      Tornaad
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      MissBizz wrote: »

Will add that as well.

Thank you @Turelus @Rouven and @MissBizz
    • Dominoid
      Dominoid
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Stop bumping your own thread. Damn it. Now I did it.

Edited by Dominoid on June 2, 2017 9:47PM
    • Ankael07
      Ankael07
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Awesome thread, thanks for putting it together @MissBizz and everyone else :)

HEY! We said unofficial.
      If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
    • Darlgon
      Darlgon
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Turelus wrote: »
      I fully support this product, even if it missing the part which tells everyone to give me +1 to all my posts. :tongue:

Hope it helps everyone to learn some features of the forums and get posting! Even I learnt a thing from it!

Edit for stupid phone autocorrects.

Voting for forum ban, trying to falsely raise his forum stars..
      Oh. wait.. he does not need them any more.
      Carry on.
      Power level to CP160 in a week:
      Where is the end game? You just played it.
      Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
      Where is new content? Sigh.
    • Tandor
      Tandor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Nice write-up, thanks.

Can I suggest an addition please to let people know about the Dev Tracker? I get heartily tired of all the "ZOS never communicate with us" posts when a quick look at the Dev Tracker would have shown the poster that ZOS had already addressed the issue he/she was concerned about.

Then, of course, the thread needs to be stickied!
    • Avran_Sylt
      Avran_Sylt
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      @ZOS_GinaBruno

Maybe pin this. If not here then under the "Players Helping Players" Section of the forum.
    • Sneaky-Snurr
      Sneaky-Snurr
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Well then, time to start grinding.
      The Order of the Shadows: Nightmare
        EP CP810 Nightblade
        AD CP810 Templar
        AD CP810 Dragon Knight
        AD Lvl 25 Sorceror
        DC Lvl 23 Nightblade
      {PC•NA•no-CP Ravenwatch}

Shadow hide you. -Unknown
      There is no clean fight in a war. -Shun Izaki
    • GlassHalfFull
      GlassHalfFull
      ✭✭✭✭
      It may be useful to mention the settings wheel next to the forum username, and the links in it like "PARTICIPATED DISCUSSIONS" to easily see where you commented.
      Curiosity is the cure for boredom, there is no cure for curiosity.
    • Tandor
      Tandor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Avran_Sylt wrote: »
      @ZOS_GinaBruno

Maybe pin this. If not here then under the "Players Helping Players" Section of the forum.

Definitely here, in my view. It's the only forum most players who would be likely to benefit from the FAQ are likely to visit. Duplicate it elsewhere by all means, but it needs to be here first and foremost.
    • Reverb
      Reverb
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Great info, thanks @MissBizz

We should start a separate thread for Forum Wishlist items. The top two things on there for me are the ability to unsubscribe from a thread I have posted in, and to have the Dev Tracker added to the navigation pane on the mobile site.
      Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Kreatyve
      Kreatyve
      Is there a list somewhere of all the forum moderators, ambassadors and staff? I haven't found one yet, and that might be helpful when you are new and wish to ping a moderator.
      New Player - Started March 7th, 2017 - Xbox NA Megaserver
      First level 50 - Magicka Sorcerer - April 19th, 2017
      160 CP - May 18th, 2017