Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Spindleslutch 2: Why take final boss to the top?

hcbigdogdoghc
hcbigdogdoghc
✭✭✭✭✭
Nearly everytime I play this, we are always expected to take boss to the top door. As a tank if you don't do so people get pissed.

What I don't get is why? Fighting the boss at the top makes no difference.

Everytime I ask people why I can't get a straight answer. Some say he won't heal at the top but that's not even true.
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the early days, when 15k dps was great, that was the best strategy. The boss wouldn't suck on the captives. These days people still do, mostly because that's how it's always been done even though dps from even the puggiest of pugs is enough to burn through the boss.
  • hcbigdogdoghc
    hcbigdogdoghc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But the thing is, the boss still suck the captives even if he's on top
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    From my experience hard mode for this dungeon is almost impossible to fail unless you focus the captives on the crosses and constantly damage them. The boss sucking blood from them doesn't kill them and he doesn't seem to get that much healing from it. The best way to do the boss is to stack tightly and simply burn him down where he spawns, only moving slightly when he spawns that blood pool and blocking when he jumps around. Even with low group DPS like 30k or so he dies quite fast.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always done it to make sure AOE etc don't hit the captives and kill them. Or randies don't see them and think "oh, do I kill this". If you kill one, you don't get two keys.

Think it's a habit that's stuck with most even when not doing it for the pledge
    Edited by Brrrofski on July 26, 2021 8:38AM
  • hcbigdogdoghc
    hcbigdogdoghc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    I've always done it to make sure AOE etc don't hit the captives and kill them. Or randies don't see them and think "oh, do I kill this". If you kill one, you don't get two keys.

But the captives are tanky af, it's almost impossible to kill them
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »

But the captives are tanky af, it's almost impossible to kill them

Maybe they buffed it?

Maybe there's no reason to.

I just followed what other did when I was new lol. Plus moving up there doesn't impact on you killing him at all. It doesn't make it harder.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eww, people still do this?

I always tank the boss where he spawns, and if PUGs complain, then... eh, I don't care. I'm the tank and I'll position the boss where I please. That said, I haven't seen anyone request such a positioning in years.

When I first completed this dungeon way back in 2015, I was told to hold the boss up by the door, to prevent accidentally killing the innocents. After a while, I realized that unless you actively try to focus down and kill the victims, there's zero risk of them dying before the boss does.

But maybe people still hold onto that belief and never bothered to test/verify it?
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Eww, people still do this?

I always tank the boss where he spawns, and if PUGs complain, then... eh, I don't care. I'm the tank and I'll position the boss where I please. That said, I haven't seen anyone request such a positioning in years.

When I first completed this dungeon way back in 2015, I was told to hold the boss up by the door, to prevent accidentally killing the innocents. After a while, I realized that unless you actively try to focus down and kill the victims, there's zero risk of them dying before the boss does.

But maybe people still hold onto that belief and never bothered to test/verify it?

Yeh, I think it's just one of those things that stuck. It probably isn't needed anymore, but old habits die hard.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have said, it used to be to avoid killing the innocents.

But to this day, people will complain in PUGs if you as a tank don't do it.

Just the other day I had a couple of DPS literally refusing to fight because I was tanking the boss where he spawns.

It is just one of this things. Like people on CoA II that insist on skipping the adds through the lava, then the whole group spends more time teaching/waiting for one or two to learn to jump then they actually would spend killing the adds.

They see someone doing it, and assume that is the way without ever questioning.
  • BeefcakeManwich
    Calm_Fury wrote: »

Just the other day I had a couple of DPS literally refusing to fight because I was tanking the boss where he spawns.

It is just one of this things. Like people on CoA II that insist on skipping the adds through the lava, then the whole group spends more time teaching/waiting for one or two to learn to jump then they actually would spend killing the adds.

You can just go up the side before the jumpfest and just sneak by the first skip. Second skip it's way more easy mounted. People won't know if they don't try. Is it major time saving? No. COA2 is a long random daily. So after awhile quicker is better. Just like how I don't bother with delve adds anymore. Need to zoom zoom to the next delve. I've more stuff to do.
    Edited by BeefcakeManwich on July 30, 2021 6:10PM
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calm_Fury wrote: »

You can just go up the side before the jumpfest and just sneak by the first skip. Second skip it's way more easy mounted. People won't know if they don't try. Is it major time saving? No. COA2 is a long random daily. So after awhile quicker is better. Just like how I don't bother with delve adds anymore. Need to zoom zoom to the next delve. I've more stuff to do.

In my experience, just killing the adds on the sides takes 1-2 minutes. And I swear I've spent 10 minutes or more trying to teach people the right spots to jump.

It is infuriating. As a tank now, I just go straight ahead and pull the adds.

Seriously, if I had the patience I would do some experiments and try it, but I can bet that 9 times out of 10 with pugs, trying to skip through the lava takes more time than actually killing the adds the proper way there on vCoA II.