The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Block Cost Bug

TC_Lee13
TC_Lee13
✭✭✭
There appears to be a new bug with the Blackwood chapter.

When blocking attacks it drains a lot more Stamina than intended often double my block cost listed on my Advanced Stats page - it appears that anything that reduces block cost is potentially not working such as Sturdy Gear or CP.

This is a huge issue for Tanks in difficult content - especially newer/inexperienced Tank who block more regularly as your Stamina is gone after using Pierce Armor and blocking a couple of hits.

**Update**
This is only a small part of the issue.
The bigger problem appear to be when you block a hit you'll lose your regular amount of Stamina (Lets say 600 Stamina) and then when you drop block you lose the full cost of your block again (So about 1300 Stamina) so in total it can cost almost 2k Stamina to block 1 attack.

Current Block Issues:
1. You get charged nothing for blocking and when you drop block you lose all the Stamina you should have lost from blocking.
2. When you block 1 attack it ticks twice.
3. Block costs ignores your reductions such as Sturdy/Passives/CP and charges you the full amount.
4. Combinations of all of the above and probably more bugs.

**Update 2**
Hi everyone,

We got confirmation this morning that a fix for the block cost issue reported in this thread will be going into the next PC/Mac and Stadia incremental patch (on June 14.)

**Update 3**
As we only just fixed this internally for the upcoming PC incremental, it will not be fixed in time for console launch in a few hours. We're planning to include the fix in the first console incremental patch.

https://youtu.be/TsshjjeaWcI

Thanks,
-Lee
Edited by TC_Lee13 on June 10, 2021 12:51PM
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noticed this as well. I thought it was because of the tireless guardian nerf at first, but even with an extra infused block cost glyph my stamina is just gone any time I have a lot of things hitting me.

From what I can tell from testing I'm losing additional stamina when I drop block after blocking at least one hit, it seems to be the total the block cost for all hits for however long I was holding block, effectively doubling the cost of block.
    Edited by ssewallb14_ESO on June 2, 2021 12:57AM
  • Juleris
    Juleris
    ✭✭
    Can confirm that this is happening. My group is currently doing a TTT prog and my block sustain is complete garbage on add pulls and the Assembly General, and it was not this way yesterday.
  • Juleris
    Juleris
    ✭✭
    UPDATE: There also seems to be an issue where whenever you drop block after blocking hits, whatever amount of stamina was drained from you while blocking will be drained again. So if you block 5 hits for a cost of 500 stamina each, if you were to drop block it would instantly drain 2500 stamina from you. I don't know if thats exactly how it works but it feels that way.
  • Csleia
    Csleia
    ✭✭✭
    I tested this, held block on a wasp for about a minute to see what was going on and the moment I dropped block I instantly lost about 10k stamina. This bug seems to be tied to blocking in some way, and feels like it "stores" the cost of blocking over time and then takes a massive chunk of stamina when you drop block. Me and friends were able to replicate this 100% of the time.
  • Csleia
    Csleia
    ✭✭✭
    this extra stam dump when dropping block is additive to the cost of blocking each attack
  • Juleris
    Juleris
    ✭✭
    UPDATE #2: Blocking costs appear to be very inconsistent. I was blocking attacks from an overland enemy and I had two occasions where it bugged out really hard. I blocked a hit while at 90% stamina and instantly went down to 10%, and the other time I was at 49% stamina and instantly went down to 2% upon blocking a hit.

Additionally, sometimes blocking a hit causes the block cost to apply twice, effectively doubling your block cost. This bug might be related to the Sturdy trait, block cost reduction modifiers from One Hand and Shield and Destruction Staff passives, the Constitution passive from Heavy Armor, block cost reduction from slotting Defensive Stance, or the Tireless Guardian CP node.
  • Majkiy
    Majkiy
    ✭✭✭
    Can confirm as well. Was doing a vSS HM yesterday and one breath ate 50% of my stamina from 27k stamina pool. I couldn't sustain it however I tried, had to drop stagger entirely, and that was with sword and board. Double ice staff is just impossible to sustain now.
  • Zymcio
    Zymcio
    ✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/Os77BBvE0Ag

that crab hit me like 16 times which means 16x 629 = 10k but in video u see it drained like 20k+

CAN YOU FIX IT ?

#updated 1
    I dont wanna blame anyone but i jumped to PTS and there is same bug... No idea what is a point of PTS...
    Edited by Zymcio on June 2, 2021 9:05AM
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zymcio wrote: »

that crab hit me like 16 times which means 16x 629 = 10k but in video u see it drained like 20k+

CAN YOU FIX IT ?

#updated 1
    I dont wanna blame anyone but i jumped to PTS and there is same bug... No idea what is a point of PTS...

The bug actually never occured on the PTS and has maybe slipped in when they did last minute changes as such things often happened(They always change different stuff between last pts patch and the thing that hits live in case this is unknown to u). If it had occured before on pts be sure that the ppl that take time to test there had reported it and warned all others about it. So u should chill before trying to softinsult ppl that test there while others are just chilling their nuggetz.....

Have a nice day mate.
    Edited by actosh on June 2, 2021 10:34AM
  • XvarleyX
    XvarleyX
    ✭✭✭
    actosh wrote: »
    Zymcio wrote: »

CAN YOU FIX IT ?

#updated 1

The bug actually never occured on the PTS and has maybe slipped in when they did last minute changes as such things often happened(They always change different stuff between last pts patch and the thing that hits live in case this is unknown to u). If it had occured before on pts be sure that the ppl that take time to test there had reported it and warned all others about it. So u should chill before trying to softinsult ppl that test there while others are just chilling their nuggetz.....

Have a nice day mate.

I don't think blame was pointed at the players on PTS, but the lack of work done when the players give feedback. For e.g the 5 piece bonus failing on many sets due to multiple conditions etc..
  • Icy_Nelyan
    Icy_Nelyan
    ✭✭✭
    Juleris wrote: »
    UPDATE #2: Blocking costs appear to be very inconsistent. I was blocking attacks from an overland enemy and I had two occasions where it bugged out really hard. I blocked a hit while at 90% stamina and instantly went down to 10%, and the other time I was at 49% stamina and instantly went down to 2% upon blocking a hit.

Additionally, sometimes blocking a hit causes the block cost to apply twice, effectively doubling your block cost. This bug might be related to the Sturdy trait, block cost reduction modifiers from One Hand and Shield and Destruction Staff passives, the Constitution passive from Heavy Armor, block cost reduction from slotting Defensive Stance, or the Tireless Guardian CP node.

I haven't the passive from One Hans & Shield but I have this bug happening too, so it's probably tied to sturdy trait or Defensive Stanche since the same behaviour happens in battlegrounds to me and there CP are disabled, so CP stars can't apply anything on your character. Anyway I haven't tester with ICE staff, but this seems to happen to me only with One Hans & Shield equipped, of I block with a 2 handed (my main weapon) this doesn't seem to happen but I have to test further about that
  • iksde
    iksde
    ✭✭✭✭
    nice, just started to tank for fun oput of boredoom of dpsing for years few days ago and yesterday I was so suprised why I have so bad sustain vet Cauldron pledge....good to know now then this dung is not specially harder/worse for than than black drake villa from pledge day before, before patch where everytihng was fine as it should be for me

nice surprise, experience on start for tanking by ZOS as always
    atleast we know now what is seriously bugged, broken after patch as we didnt seen anything yet till this....it was known something must be broken after patch and here we got it
  • Zymcio
    Zymcio
    ✭✭✭
    @actosh

that true i am bit angry cuz was close to some trifecta in dung and now well need to have some break and wait for fix.

what can i say i log on PTS today and bug is same if it was before no idea. I dont blame players cuz they are free to help there and i am glad if they find something and report.

About reports what can i say i done 2 or 3 report and it wasnt fixed for long time i just feel ignored... There still is one issue they didnt fixed but who cares yea ?

I am just angry cuz sorry it looks like no one from tester (not players) tester if that company have them is playing this game.
    Something like blocking or roll dodge , bashing is just core in this game and it just should be tested before out....

It remeind me one bug with LA not too long ago and it looks like same story >> they dont play own game...
    Edited by Zymcio on June 2, 2021 12:57PM
  • HappyDan
    HappyDan
    ✭✭✭
    Did vRG yesterday and almost every pull I was sitting on 0 stam, I thought I had something wrong with my build (since I ran some different stuff on PT)
  • TC_Lee13
    TC_Lee13
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the stuff that I reported on the PTS didn't get fixed so it doesn't really matter if this got reported or not.
  • Eso101rus
    Eso101rus
    ✭✭✭✭
    So regardless of whether I choose to buy the Blackwood upgrade or not, I will be rewarded on PS4 for my continued support of ESO by being severely disadvantaged in serious content due to lack of scrutiny from developers who seek to gain profit but are unwilling to listen to reported feedback in a timely manner during pts or play test sufficiently to avoid a period where the player base has to wait 2/3 weeks for bugs to be rectified. Got it. Just like the light attack bug on another major release. Suggestion? Use pts to test the game for bugs as well as performance indicators and release content on live AFTER bugs have been resolved.
  • Umbra
    Umbra
    ✭✭✭
    Confirm
  • BloodMagicLord
    BloodMagicLord
    ✭✭✭✭
    How does this even happen xD
    PC EU | Tank | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart
    STOP CLASS HOMOGENISATION
  • Nebula_DooM
    Nebula_DooM
    ✭✭✭
    Same here
  • Pearly
    Pearly
    ✭✭✭
    Confirming that this happened to me as well.
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Hey folks,

We appreciate all of your reports and we wanted to let you know that we are investigating this issue.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like they found a way to make Gaze of Sithis more appealing...
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • DovahkiinHeart
    DovahkiinHeart
    ✭✭✭
    Is it fixed now?
  • TC_Lee13
    TC_Lee13
    ✭✭✭
    Is it fixed now?

No - It will likely take a few weeks to fix.
  • DJfriede
    DJfriede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and I thought I was going crazy with how bad the stamina sustain felt yesterday. Couln't put my finger on the issue but I will monitor it now.
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TC_Lee13 wrote: »
    Is it fixed now?

No - It will likely take a few weeks to fix.

Yeah, if it is crown store issue or something that indirectly reduce their crown store sales, it will be fixed within an hour. For other issue, it is usually a week or two.
  • Sythen88411
    Sythen88411
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom you wanna fix this issue like hot fix it like fast real talk.
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank god, thought I was going crazy.

Was testing builds/sets for pvp since patch an notice substantial stam drain when dueling, even when having 2100 stam recovery I found sometimes 10-15 secs into duel I'd be stam locked, and had noticed my stam recovery would drop to 1210 on my stat sheet, almost like my sustain set or mundus dropped off.

Was also testing daedric trickery and had noticed even when dealing damage no buffs at were being applied at all, BRP dual wield has 0 sec uptime on spectral cloak tooltip.

I never thought I'd question set's not doing as intended, what else is broken? And has everything I tested been broken when testing it?
  • Grumble_and_Grunt
    Grumble_and_Grunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's hope this is prioritised and resolved relatively fast considering it is quite a significant bug and can also confirm this issue was on PTS and reported.
    Edited by Grumble_and_Grunt on June 3, 2021 10:20AM
    PC EU
    Fix Powerful Assault
    #3Qbiken
  • Keryss
    Keryss
    ✭✭✭
    Hi. I did a VSS yesterday as off-tank (the first after the last update) and i struggled with iron servants... Usually i don't have any problem, but yesterday it was a nightmare... After a few seconds, i was out of stamina and was so difficult to regen stam... After 6-7 tries, we decided to switch tanks, but the other one had exactly the same problem (both DK)....

So, glad to here that the issue is known.