The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Block Cost Bug

• ZOS_Ragnar
    ZOS_Ragnar
    admin
    Hello all! We have removed a few comments from this thread that were not adding to the discussion and only served to create side conversations.

Please do your best to ensure your future posts remain on topic and contribute value to the discussion.

We encoruage everyone to take a few moments to review our Forum Rules to help prevent the need for further moderator action.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Angelologist
    Angelologist
    Soul Shriven
    I am having the same issue, I really hope that they can fix this soon.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, seeing it here too. Blocking is fine as long as you have your shield up constantly, but you get charged again to drop block. Also only seems to be effective if you block an attack. If you just put up the shield and then put it back down, it's fine.

Did a bit of testing, and it also seems to be affected by bar swapping and block casting.
    EDIT - more testing: drinking a potion while blocking also triggers the stam loss, which is a bit problematic when you drink it to regain stam. Also it does 'store' the hits, so the more hits you take, the bigger the stam loss at the end. Finally, it will automatically drop your block once the 'stored' value is high enough. I sat there and let an ogrim hit me, and my block dropped around 70% stam remaining since I had enough attacks 'stored.'

This means that this is a MAJOR problem for PvE tanks right now, since this is causing us to run out of resources much faster than normal, especially if we intend to do anything other than hold block in an encounter. You know, like taunt the boss...
    Edited by tomofhyrule on June 3, 2021 6:47PM
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Another edit, but I'm making a new post.

Tested more with equipping/unequipping things. It's the sturdy trait. nope, still testing

I tested a few ways: completely naked, with and without the block cost CP passives, but the only time I saw the bug was when I had any armor piece (including shield) that was sturdy. No armor + CP passive was still fine, so it's not the CP.
    Edited by tomofhyrule on June 3, 2021 7:40PM
  • marzatplay
    This bug is killing dungeons for me. I do dungeons daily but with this bug, I can't. I main as a Tank and have since the beginning. I tested this after reading it here and watching YouTube video about it and it's exactly as described. Completely defeats the purpose of blocking and tanking. This is NOT a small bug, this is a MAJOR bug that needs addressing immediately not in a few weeks time. It's breaking the game. I won't do dungeons till it's fixed in a timely manner and if it isn't I'll just move on to a game that works. Have cancelled my ESO plus meantime till it's fixed. Thanks and GL.
  • Mauin
    Mauin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd read this thread previously and noted I didn't have the bug on my DPS characters. Those characters are, for the most part, wearing all Divines gear. I swapped over to one of my tanks to test, and confirmed that they had the bug where they were getting extra stamina removed when block was dropped.

I did a few further tests. As I noted this bug was tank specific for me, I opted to target tank specific things.
    For the first test, I removed Defensive Stance to see if that changed things. There was no change with the stamina bug.
    For the second test, I removed ALL gear that had the Sturdy trait on it (everything except for jewelry and weapons). This had the notable result of removing the stamina bug. When I blocked and dropped block, the bug did not occur.

It looks as though there's something wrong with the Sturdy trait.

Edit:
    Wrong about that, as it turns out. It's something with the One Hand and Shield line itself. I equipped a white quality shield with no trait on it and, despite the lack of Sturdy gear, the bug returned. Might be a broken passive.
    Edited by Mauin on June 3, 2021 7:36PM
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mauin wrote: »
    Edit:
    Wrong about that, as it turns out. It's something with the One Hand and Shield line itself. I equipped a white quality shield with no trait on it and, despite the lack of Sturdy gear, the bug returned. Might be a broken passive.

oof, just tested on one of my throwaway farmers, and that's true. He's got sturdy gear but not problems.

I'm going to just pay to reskill my tank and see if I can find it....
  • Mauin
    Mauin
    ✭✭✭✭
    oof, just tested on one of my throwaway farmers, and that's true. He's got sturdy gear but not problems.

I'm going to just pay to reskill my tank and see if I can find it....

This is also what I'm doing, but I didn't have enough gold on the tank I was testing to respec, lol.

Edit:
    Removing the passives has had no effect. Still have the bug, though I'm noticing my stamina amount isn't updating at all until I take another hit or drop block.

Edit #2:
    It seems to be weapon specific? After further testing on tanks, I noticed the bug occurred with both one hand and shield and the frost staff I had equipped. It does not occur with an inferno, two hander, or dual wield as far as I've noticed. All tests have been done with a single overworld trash mob that was allowed to repeatedly attack while I held block. As previously observed, there was an extra drop in stamina after dropping block with a one hand and shield equipped, however, there was also an extra drop in magicka after dropping block with a frost staff equipped.

This block bug with the frost staff was not tank specific, as I tested it on both a healer and a tank and experienced the same thing.

This is quite concerning.
    Edited by Mauin on June 3, 2021 8:12PM
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, so removing the passives did do something, but this is all kinds of weird.

I took out the SnB passives and put them back one by one, then went to find a mob to LA me while I looked at my stam.

Without the Fortress passive, it was weird, but consistent:
    Block cost - 1.6k
    Attacks blocked cost: 1.6k, 0.8k, 1.6k
    Extra 0.4k loss on dropping block

Not sure why I got a cheap block there, but it was consistent as I did those.

Putting the two points in Fortress changed things up:
    Block cost: 1k
    Attacks blocked cost: 0.3k, 1.0k, 0.2k
    Extra 2.8k loss on dropping block.

I'm wondering if part of this is that it's not calculating block cost correctly, so the extra drop is just it catching up? But with Fortress, it just way overcompensates...

EDIT: one more test with this - I let the mob hit me with all of its attacks and marked which were heavies and projectiles (it was a 1H skeleton so it had the throw dagger and the heavy mixed in)
    It attacked 10 times. Based on the character stats sheet the block cost was 1k per attack, so I should have lost 10k stam.
    xxn2bf3nlgvp.png

Ended up losing 14k total over the course. Lot of cheap blocks, but when I put my shield down at the end it all really caught up to me and then some.

So I went to test one of my other alts that's really not specced to do anything but overland and is wearing found gear and uses a bow. Had him get pummeled by some lions/archers in Blackwood.
    u5fvrtp8mcz0.png
    I'm still seeing a loss on block. He should have a block cost of 1.5k, so it's much more consistent, but he's still got a loss on block. Until that last test - I noticed that some of the gear he was wearing was sturdy. Took that off (new block cost 1645) and found a bear, and no more loss on block.

So it seems that anything that reduces block cost will cause this problem. The more block cost reduction stuff you have, the more the stam on your bar doesn't match what it should be, and the more wildly it overcorrects once you drop block.
    Edited by tomofhyrule on June 3, 2021 8:52PM
  • marzatplay
    Amazing they're NOT addressing this in tomorrow patch. SMH!
  • Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just want to toss in a bump to this. Making it really, really hard to PvP on SnB builds because my stamina just depletes so incredibly fast. Hope this gets addressed asap.
  • Kuratius
    Kuratius
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds like they added an anti cheat that verifies client side calculations periodically and "corrects" if they're wrong.
    Makes sense that they might not want the anti cheat on PTS, assuming they think that cheat devs can find a workaround and they don't want to give a headstart.
    Edited by Kuratius on June 4, 2021 8:22AM
  • Brenil
    Brenil
    ✭✭
    Just want to toss in a bump to this. Making it really, really hard to PvP on SnB builds because my stamina just depletes so incredibly fast. Hope this gets addressed asap.

I want to echo this sentiment.

Coupled with the CP changes, item set nerfs, and this wonderful bug, my main character is completely unplayable. I can adjust and live with the balance changes, because we all must. Yet this bug actively makes playing the game unfun and I have no desire to play until they fix this. Whenever that may be.
  • marzatplay
    Brenil wrote: »

I want to echo this sentiment.

Coupled with the CP changes, item set nerfs, and this wonderful bug, my main character is completely unplayable. I can adjust and live with the balance changes, because we all must. Yet this bug actively makes playing the game unfun and I have no desire to play until they fix this. Whenever that may be.

Agreed, my main being a tank makes him completely unplayable. I've already started playing a different mmo "trial" until this is resolved.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm assuming this will go live anyway with the console release. It's so amazing to have a subpar, non-functioning product that continues to deteriorate every month. It's just a miserable experience.
  • mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can this company release such game breaking bugs each patch?
    [snip]
    No
    Enough is enough.
    Releasing constant broken product is not acceptable!
    Console hasn't had a functional ui for almost 2 months now, and this, THIS is what we have to look forward too?
    Another core gameplay mechanic broken?
    And for how long?
    Is console just expected to wait until next chapter a year from now for a fix?
    This is done almost every single patch now, something crucial is broken.
    [snip]
    Enough with this broken nonsense.
    [snip]

[Edited to remove Bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on June 4, 2021 1:05PM
  • Styxius
    Styxius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want to confirm the bug, it isn't too bad at times when tanking trials but is noticeable when bar swapping frequently. still can block cast thankfully.
  • Sythen88411
    Sythen88411
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was it fixed with maintenance
  • Pearly
    Pearly
    ✭✭✭
    Was it fixed with maintenance

Nope, I'm still losing a ton of stam when I stop blocking, and losing stam randomly in between taking hits.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kuratius wrote: »
    This sounds like they added an anti cheat that verifies client side calculations periodically and "corrects" if they're wrong.
    Makes sense that they might not want the anti cheat on PTS, assuming they think that cheat devs can find a workaround and they don't want to give a headstart.

Based on all of the testing, this seems like the most likely option.

Granted I haven't set up the full spreadsheets and everything to test, but even the tests I did with my tank have the block cost reduction CPs. The tests I did on my rando don't have any (relevant) CP, so that's why I wasn't seeing it on him... once I took off his sturdy armor that he just happened to be wearing.

I think the main issue is that the stamina is being calculated both client- and server-side, but the new bug is that the server-side calculation isn't taking block cost into account. That means that client and server stam levels mismatch, which is why blocking seems to be using inconsistent stam amounts, and then dropping block or casting anything else sends a check which makes the client reflect the server. This also explains why block drops if you've been holding it too long, since the server thinks you're out of stamina even if the client says you've still got 3/4 of a bar.

Essentially, everything that's affecting block cost reduction is just not working at all because the server is forgetting to take that into consideration.
  • Gurthug
    Gurthug
    ✭✭
    Looks like they found a way to make Gaze of Sithis more appealing...

Bang on.
    Gurthug (PS5) - Imperial StamDK
  • Aiphaton
    Aiphaton
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any Eta?
  • mandricus
    mandricus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to add me to the list of people that stopped playing the game because of this bug. I mostly do battleground, most of my builds are SnB backbar. I'm always out of stamina, pointless to keep playing until this bug is fixed.
  • Noldornir
    Noldornir
    ✭✭✭
    mobicera wrote: »

31xq4crndrb4.png

Bashing removed, reason: not enough stamina!
    ZOS_RyanM wrote: »
    Hello all! We have removed a few comments from this thread that were not adding to the discussion and only served to create side conversations.

Please do your best to ensure your future posts remain on topic and contribute value to the discussion.

We encoruage everyone to take a few moments to review our Forum Rules to help prevent the need for further moderator action.

I encourage you to take a moment to read HERE as if this bugs goes tomorrow on console version live that's what I'll do and recomend all my guilds (one i own, other i'm in) to do the same.

Also I hightly suggest you to review your communication protocols, the tendency that you guys have to be inconsistent when it matters is alarming and if we compare it with the speed that you have to remove unwanted messages it reminds me of a dictator-like censorship.

Basically your communication protocol on the forum is this:

User= There is SAID bug
    ZOS= 90% wont even reply - 5% reply without even reading carefully the message and propose canned solutions (reboot net and such) - 5% reply "looking into it please be patient" (then no updates, no ETA, nothing anymore.

How can you expect ppl to stay "cool" when you are conning them? (We paid, and pay, for a working game not a prototype).

ESO features one of the most intriguing combat system on the scene but you ZOS are killing it, for the sake of this game: SELL IT to another company as you are clearly not intrested, or up to the task, of keeping it alive.
  • Dalogan72
    Dalogan72
    ✭✭
    Noldornir wrote: »
    mobicera wrote: »

31xq4crndrb4.png

Bashing removed, reason: not enough stamina!
    ZOS_RyanM wrote: »

I encourage you to take a moment to read HERE as if this bugs goes tomorrow on console version live that's what I'll do and recomend all my guilds (one i own, other i'm in) to do the same.

Also I hightly suggest you to review your communication protocols, the tendency that you guys have to be inconsistent when it matters is alarming and if we compare it with the speed that you have to remove unwanted messages it reminds me of a dictator-like censorship.

Basically your communication protocol on the forum is this:

User= There is SAID bug
    ZOS= 90% wont even reply - 5% reply without even reading carefully the message and propose canned solutions (reboot net and such) - 5% reply "looking into it please be patient" (then no updates, no ETA, nothing anymore.

How can you expect ppl to stay "cool" when you are conning them? (We paid, and pay, for a working game not a prototype).

ESO features one of the most intriguing combat system on the scene but you ZOS are killing it, for the sake of this game: SELL IT to another company as you are clearly not intrested, or up to the task, of keeping it alive.

I think they are interested but do not have the skills.
  • Azrael_1976
    Azrael_1976
    ✭✭✭
    Would be nice to get an update. Playing a tank ist actually no fun at all.
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Hi everyone,

We got confirmation this morning that a fix for the block cost issue reported in this thread will be going into the next PC/Mac and Stadia incremental patch (on June 14.)
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

We got confirmation this morning that a fix for the block cost issue reported in this thread will be going into the next PC/Mac and Stadia incremental patch (on June 14.)

Thanks for the update! Is there a timeframe when the fix will come for console?
  • SirNom
    SirNom
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

If there is a fix, why is this not instant? Why are we waiting another week?
  • Calypso589
    Calypso589
    ✭✭✭
    SirNom wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

If there is a fix, why is this not instant? Why are we waiting another week?

Because Stadia certification, probably.

The wonderful and successful platform it is..... /sigh