Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Companions - Your first impression on our new friends

Lugaldu
Lugaldu
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So, I started showing Basti the world and I think he finds it exciting.

51218778345_9a3c539ef5_b.jpg

Have you already started your adventure, what is your first impression?
  • stybbe17b16_ESO
    stybbe17b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    My sorc pet killed a bug and she got mad at me, lost her trust.
  • Lord_Nikon
    Lord_Nikon
    ✭✭✭

LOL.. That is awesome... You made pop come out my nose... :D
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, reading the patch notes. Rapport sounds like influence from SW:Tor with the companion there. Higher you get it the more they like you and give quests. Am I correct?
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bastian looks like Mario
  • Klad
    Klad
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, reading the patch notes. Rapport sounds like influence from SW:Tor with the companion there. Higher you get it the more they like you and give quests. Am I correct?

Yeah but the SWTOR companions want to violate your body all the time.

Me: We must stop Darth Angril
    Kira: Aaaaa yeah no, lets go back to the ship instead...I have something to uh "show" you.
  • Altaire
    Altaire
    ✭✭✭
    Do companions get in you way like combat pets?
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altaire wrote: »

It gets in your way when you are trying to interact with something like NPC. Had to move my camera or Mirri will go

PROBLEM?! SERAAAA
    I'm a Godot Engine and GameMaker enthusiast from the most populated island on earth, Java, Indonesia. Coffee is my staple fuel, and durian is my favourite fruit. I'm currently building a Godot Community site.
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea. Still working out the kinks but it’s something new for us so that is good.

My companion stands in red but I guess that’s par for the course in eso :)
  • proprio.meb16_ESO
    proprio.meb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey! Bastian is the damn Vault Tech representative! :smiley::smiley:
    51218234788_dd0910d630_c.jpg
    Edited by proprio.meb16_ESO on June 1, 2021 4:08PM
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    Altaire wrote: »

Definitely they do
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey! Bastian is the damn Vault Tech representative! :smiley::smiley:
    51218234788_dd0910d630_c.jpg

No wonder I've been instinctively avoiding him!
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My impression so far has been that they're only useful in situations where I don't really need them, and it bums me out. :/

Except for the steady stream of healing that Mirri can provide, that is. She's a decent pocket healer, no doubt! When she's alive, anyway...

But as soon as the going gets tough, either one of them are toast. AoE mechanics that HAVE to be obeyed? (Such as the last boss in Black Drake Villa) They ded. Big scary monster doing anything more than looking at my Companion funny? They ded. Mobs swarming my newfound friend? They... roll backwards twice (super annoyingly pulling all my targets all over the damn place)... and then they ded.

They're only "good" (sarcastic airquotes) if we're skipping through cotton candy rainbow puppy kisses valley; the moment things get even mildly complicated or my Companion gets medium-level and up enemies' attention, they're on the ground in seconds.

Even on the PTS, where we could outfit them with the best of everything there is to give them, this was the case; and now having to level them "for real" seems like it's gonna be an enormous PITA for those of us who mainly do Dungeons and harder content. They seem to be meant almost exclusively for overland difficulty; which is hardly something that could be considered difficult in the first place. :/
  • Phaedryn
    Phaedryn
    ✭✭✭
    Lord_Nikon wrote: »

LOL.. That is awesome... You made pop come out my nose... :D

Man...do NOT read forums before coffee...

Let's just say my brain saw an extra "o" somewhere in there that resulted in a terrible mental image.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can white jewelry for companions be bought or is jewelry drop only?
  • Vhale
    Vhale
    ✭✭✭
    Do quest NPCs react to companions? IE dialog changes?
    I really hate pets getting under my cursor, so unless there's furnishing rewards I am not compelled to use them. I wouldn't mind a pocket healer for some DLC WBs. But if they get offended by petty larceny we are parting ways forever.
    The Ska'vyn Exchange
    Savage Blade
    Vhale Sirothe -Templar - Grand Master Crafter - Daggerfall
  • MasterWarrior
    MasterWarrior
    ✭✭✭
    First impression,

Bastion is the easier quest,
    Both are good quests and didn't take too long,
    I have not found any companion gear, but I need to play more though. On a break currently right now.
  • Selminus
    Selminus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lack of head armor is a serious immersion flaw with no valid reasoning considering they have names and bodies and stuff
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Selminus wrote: »
    Lack of head armor is a serious immersion flaw with no valid reasoning considering they have names and bodies and stuff

An unforgettable moment today right in the first 2 minutes in front of Leyawiin - I wanted to go on my way to do Bastian's quests and who do I see with someone else right next to me? Basti in all its grandeur!

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The more Rapport you have, then you can have them as a House Guest.

IDK if there are other reasons, but that seems to be the big one.

Edited by Nestor on June 1, 2021 6:43PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Orion_89
    Orion_89
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mirri is a perfect party as far as I farm resources almost every day. She really likes that I harvest nodes. Also when I did the antiquitie digging our rapport had grown up. She is nice but sadly I saw bunch of her copies at dolmens.

ZOS, I'm seriously asking: give us an option to cover their heads and/or change their hairstyles!
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In game pad mode murri was always in the way when I was trying to jump on or over things. Press a to jump talk to murri instead. Very annoying.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given I've run public dungeons and dolmens, I haven't had either companion die AT ALL. Perhaps public dungeons aren't considered difficult content, but in either case, they didn't die... so I'm quite pleased with them. However, I would seriously like ZOS to change their threat level, they should not be pulling enemies from me when I'm hitting with tons of damage and they are not.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Orion_89 wrote: »
    Mirri is a perfect party as far as I farm resources almost every day. She really likes that I harvest nodes. Also when I did the antiquitie digging our rapport had grown up. She is nice but sadly I saw bunch of her copies at dolmens.

ZOS, I'm seriously asking: give us an option to cover their heads and/or change their hairstyles!

They both have a thing for resource nodes.

And yes, it is a bit disconcerting to see the companions everywhere.
  • Eyro
    Eyro
    ✭✭✭✭
    You would think it wouldn’t be that hard. They can already equip any costumes we own. Why not the other cosmetics we own?
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impressions:

I played with both on PTS but have only picked up Bastian on live so far. I enjoy travelling with him but I wouldn't say I find him particularly useful. I play primarily solo and will likely keep a companion with me moving forward but mainly for the roleplay reasons of my character travelling with a friend rather than because they offer any significant assistance in combat.

I haven't seen Bastian's rapport increase from node harvesting. He comments on it a lot, but unless there's a silent background increase it doesn't seem to influence his rapport. He approved of me killing Daedra in a random encounter as well as at a dolmen, but then disapproved of me killing a main quest boss that was a Daedra, so he seems like he can't decide how he feels about them. (I'm sure that specific boss is a glitch but I reported it on PTS and it's still here so who knows.)

NPCs never acknowledge the presence of companions, even when the particular quest means they absolutely should not be there. Bastian is essentially equivalent to a banker or merchant assistant in this regard.

I ran almost all the content in the zone today and found a whole four pieces of companion gear in the process. It got Bastian to level 10 with no grinding and no XP buff. I was on a max level character though - if you find him on a lowbie and try to level him that way he will take absolutely forever.

I made sure to do everything he approved of all day (reading bookshelves on cooldown etc) other than his weird dislike of me killing a particular Dremora, and his rapport slider does not appear to have moved at all. Maxing that seems like it will take months.
    PC NA, CP2000+Character creation is the true endgame.
  • ikepooleb14_ESO
    The prologue quest made me REALLY want an Eveli Sharp-Arrow companion. She was freakin hilarious and cute as a button.

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prologue quest made me REALLY want an Eveli Sharp-Arrow companion. She was freakin hilarious and cute as a button.

I hate her more than Sai Sahan, and that's saying a lot.
    PCNA
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I start new content with fishing so the players that want to speed through everything will have thinned out some as I try to take my time through content. Mirri likes to try and stand so I talk to her instead of cast a line. Usually taking two steps to the left helps.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Eccentric_Vampire
    Eccentric_Vampire
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have much to go off other than pictures but neither of them really appeal to me. I hope they add more companions in the future, I really want a mage or scholar companion.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't have much to go off other than pictures but neither of them really appeal to me. I hope they add more companions in the future, I really want a mage or scholar companion.

I'm hoping for some kind of eccentric vampire type of Companion. One who maybe takes perverse delight when my evil characters do evil things, instead of these finicky, judge-y mother-in-law types we got first go around. >:)

Also really hoping for a dumb-as-a-brick Companion that really likes it when you Bash things in the face, or something like that. I've always wanted to play a "Me am ANGRY! ME SMASH!!" type character for some reason, but there's little incentive to play that way currently. :D