Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Companions - Your first impression on our new friends

• Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is also "slightly" impractical if you have to sneak in somewhere to collect information and not kill anyone and Basti attacks immediately as soon as you are discovered. And even better, he kills the attacker without my intervention, but then the red icon appears that you did something that the companion doesn't like, lol.
  • Sinlar
    Sinlar
    ✭✭✭
    A Cosmic sized well done to the devs on this one. Knocked it out of the park.
    The ability to customize the looks and skills of these companions is far beyond what this one expected.
    *Thinks back to the days when you wore what you found and liked it!*
    0.o
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have the same complaints that i had on PTS, even some additional ones.

- Compagnion gear is ignoring every concept of creating or getting gear and any upgrade options the game offers. Insanely grindy to max them out.
    - They are still rather weak.
    - They can only be leveled by kills, so no repeatable quests etc, thats realy bad.
    - Guild lines are time gated, not much to say about this.

On the positive side we can customize them, but have still no helm option or other hair/tatoo/face options, so we stay with clones.

Overall its a nice concept, but it has shortcommings in every corner.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Adventure awaits!
    MXT5hQw.jpg

I must admit that I like Bastien. Before launch I thought that I will go with Mirri, but Bastien stole my heart :D My main is dk, so he fits perfectly with his dk-like skills, also I like his voice and personality. I just need to put bag on his head when stealing and murdering :D
    Edited by Luke_Flamesword on June 3, 2021 8:59AM
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    It is also "slightly" impractical if you have to sneak in somewhere to collect information and not kill anyone and Basti attacks immediately as soon as you are discovered. And even better, he kills the attacker without my intervention, but then the red icon appears that you did something that the companion doesn't like, lol.

He kills someone, and is sad about it. He chose the wrong job lol! All jokes aside: they defo should change that.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    In Skyrim (years ago, alas) I got a vampire companion. She had a harsh personality and treated me as a mopping rag (and this could not be helped in any way), but was a hell of a fighter and more than once really saved my ass. Sorry I don't remember her name.

So, what was she in short words? A roguish, capable friend who accepted me as I was and just behaved as she was (besides did not complain about sharing my burden, same as dear Lydia).

What are Bastian and Mirri? They resemble to me long time partners in a relationship gone a bit sour, when all romance has gone away (if it ever was...) and the prevailing attitude is to patronize. Not great help in fighting and none whatsoever in carrying loads.

Hardly a progress in my opinion
    Edited by fiender66 on June 3, 2021 10:00AM
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    noobs are a massive leap forward

Companions never ever learn!
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • ikepooleb14_ESO
    A separate companion interact keybind would go a long way towards reducing the frustration of trying to loot or interact an object and instead interacting with Mirri as she wanders in at the last second
  • PurpleScroll
    PurpleScroll
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just completed the two quests for Mirri and I have to say I like her more as a character now.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xebov wrote: »
    I still have the same complaints that i had on PTS, even some additional ones.

- Compagnion gear is ignoring every concept of creating or getting gear and any upgrade options the game offers. Insanely grindy to max them out.
    - They are still rather weak.
    - They can only be leveled by kills, so no repeatable quests etc, thats realy bad.
    - Guild lines are time gated, not much to say about this.

On the positive side we can customize them, but have still no helm option or other hair/tatoo/face options, so we stay with clones.

Overall its a nice concept, but it has shortcommings in every corner.

If you have multiple characters, you can run them daily on all your characters, but it does start to wear on you after doing the fourth or fifth time per day. Thankfully, once leveling is done, it's done.

I don't know if they're weak, well, they are... but I've also seen them kill on their own and I have yet to have either of them die. The gear grind IS ridiculous and not being able to upgrade or transmute them is bogus!! Let alone the inventory fiasco where we have to carry THEIR gear. Also, I have read about a bug in which players are losing their gear upon leaving a queued dungeon... which is scary considering how hard it is to acquire the gear in the first place.
    CP: 1920 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NO QA
    Badly thought out: pull -run away
    Loss of the almost impossible to get gear on handing in a guild quest
    Always as bad as all the other pets (but bear)
    Can't kill a slug even if you give them an hour

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »
    NO QA

I don't know what you are talking about. First, I have never lost any companion gear by turning in guild quests, and I run these five+ times per day on alts... so that's roughly 15 to 18+ turn ins per day.

Second, I have SEEN THEM killing NPCs on their own without a problem and have yet to have either of them die.
    CP: 1920 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they are a gimmick.

its a nice idea as fallout and TES have recently had very interesting companions and bringing that experience to ESO has merit.

but they are combat ineffective.
    only useful where you don't need them, and useless where you want them.

i was hopeful i could duo random normal dallies with my friend and we could just bring our companions to fill slots so we dont have to deal with two random players. but alas they got de summoned and we got two random players.

so i guess if your having issues with overland content this helps?
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • mickeyx
    mickeyx
    ✭✭✭✭

ADarklore wrote: »
    NO QA

I don't know what you are talking about. First, I have never lost any companion gear by turning in guild quests, and I run these five+ times per day on alts... so that's roughly 15 to 18+ turn ins per day.

Second, I have SEEN THEM killing NPCs on their own without a problem and have yet to have either of them die.

You gotto calm down and stop jumping on anyone who is giving feedback about companions. Not all bugs effect everyone the same and the world doesn't revolve around you. So far majority of players find that companions are way too squishy and there are palethora of bugs associated with them. Stop fanboying so hard and let people share their experience.

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wing wrote: »
    they are a gimmick.

its a nice idea as fallout and TES have recently had very interesting companions and bringing that experience to ESO has merit.

but they are combat ineffective.
    only useful where you don't need them, and useless where you want them.

i was hopeful i could duo random normal dallies with my friend and we could just bring our companions to fill slots so we dont have to deal with two random players. but alas they got de summoned and we got two random players.

so i guess if your having issues with overland content this helps?

They can also help you solo group dungeons or any content that you don't have to queue into. However, before doing any group dungeons, I'd make sure they were max level with max level gear.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mickeyx wrote: »
    NO QA

You gotto calm down and stop jumping on anyone who is giving feedback about companions. Not all bugs effect everyone the same and the world doesn't revolve around you. So far majority of players find that companions are way too squishy and there are palethora of bugs associated with them. Stop fanboying so hard and let people share their experience.

Oh but see, that's the problem. Not enough people with GOOD experiences offsetting the bad, leaving many people who read the forums first before actually trying them, a negative impression. Starting with PTS, there was a large uproar because HTM was showing Companions can be useful in content once they're max leveled... but players decried that he was showing them with limited scope. Then apparently behind the scenes ZOS improved them while on PTS and then LIVE... but we still have many naysayers who used them on PTS and speaking negatively about them without using them on LIVE. Then on top of it, we have people who have poor expectations of Companions who are under-leveled and under-geared spewing falsehoods about them based on their own choices for the content and roles they put their companions in. So yes... people have a right to complain... and others like myself... have a right to offset those by speaking of their positive experiences.
  • mickeyx
    mickeyx
    ✭✭✭✭
    NO QA

Oh but see, that's the problem. Not enough people with GOOD experiences offsetting the bad, leaving many people who read the forums first before actually trying them, a negative impression. Starting with PTS, there was a large uproar because HTM was showing Companions can be useful in content once they're max leveled... but players decried that he was showing them with limited scope. Then apparently behind the scenes ZOS improved them while on PTS and then LIVE... but we still have many naysayers who used them on PTS and speaking negatively about them without using them on LIVE. Then on top of it, we have people who have poor expectations of Companions who are under-leveled and under-geared spewing falsehoods about them based on their own choices for the content and roles they put their companions in. So yes... people have a right to complain... and others like myself... have a right to offset those by speaking of their positive experiences.

The hell. Thanks for proving my point. You think people giving their feedback different from you is something you need to counter [snip] everytime.

[snip]
    [edited rude comments]
    Edited by ZOS_Ragnar on June 3, 2021 1:37PM
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NO QA

Did you all expect that the companions will replace a player in any vet content?

The companions are somehow useful for normal things such as simple group content and not as bad as some here claim. I tried Darkshade Caverns 1 today, Basti still in mostly white gear and level 7 and he only died once in the fight with Foreman Llothan.

• GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NO QA

To be fair to @ADarklore , a lot of people (including me, for sure) are using a bit of hyperbole to emphasize Companions' shortcomings. Those minor "exaggerations for illustration" don't sit well with some people, especially if they're more inclined toward being literal and dealing in facts. A lot of us are going a little overboard in our criticisms, on occasion.

That said, I still stand by my previous opinions that Companions are too weak/dumb/something to be of much use in anything but content that's so easy as to not be terribly relevant to any discussion about combat effectiveness. I'm aware there are people who need & appreciate help in Delves and such (and I am happy that they have it now!), but that's about the lowest possible bar I can even think of. Nothing against those players, but I really don't think Companions' survivability should be balanced only around them; that's far from the average, I'd like to think.

I like Companions well enough for RP or actual companionship purposes or whatever you'd like to call it, but I do feel they're a bit shallow if their personality and friendship are the main thing we're judging by. They certainly don't stand out to me as well-written or interesting characters. But that's largely a subjective thing, so it's hard to hold it against others who find their personalities delightful, deep, adequate, et cetera.

The big thing I really think we're lacking is a "YOU! STAND HERE!!" command for them. I wouldn't love that I have to, but I could save their lives in a LOT of situations where they're utterly useless (because they invariably die) by simply being able to tell them where to be so they don't get turned to ash. It'd be even better if they were smart enough not to stand in obvious AoEs on their own, but I guess that's asking too much at this point. I'm still kind of holding out hope that we may get a quick positional command soonish, though. We need it!
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    NO QA

Did you all expect that the companions will replace a player in any vet content?

The companions are somehow useful for normal things such as simple group content and not as bad as some here claim. I tried Darkshade Caverns 1 today, Basti still in mostly white gear and level 7 and he only died once in the fight with Foreman Llothan.

I didnt expect any companions to replace a player in Overland, forget any other content!
    I expected them to make life worse & they proved me right there!
    Edited by Gythral on June 4, 2021 6:11AM
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first heard we were getting companions I was less than impressed and thought I would bypass that feature. I already had my personal piece of Velcro (my sorc pet) and wasn't looking forward to backtracking to help yet another one.

As more information about them became available, I became more interested in them. The idea of opening more quests as my relationship with them evolved really appeals to me.

I've unlocked both companions on my main and have taken them along to complete simple dailies. Our chars aren't allowed inside group dungeons before level 10, so I didn't put them through that kind of content yet.

Neither is level 6 yet and are still using the white, no-trait gear they start with. With Mirri I've done a few dolmens, the group boss of a public dungeon, all the dailies in the Reach and a couple of Oblivion portals. I have yet to see her die.
    I've only done one set of guild dailies with Bastian (Mages, Fighters and Undaunted) and he didn't die either. He did take more damage than Mirri, though.

I don't grind, I prefer to enjoy the journey, so it doesn't bother me if their rapport changes slowly or if better gear doesn't drop at the snap of a finger.

My first few experiences with group dungeons and world bosses were awful - I was with some very kind, well meaning people who thought that dragging me through content without explaining anything was good enough. I see companions like I was back then, clueless, ill equipped, lacking skill and power, and unable to understand what to expect and how to behave*.

So far I'm having fun with them, and that is why I play the game. YMMV

* I have to learn how to properly "communicate" with them by means of positioning and gear/skill selection. Until then my companions and my chars will have fun doing simpler stuff.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    KMarble wrote: »

I've unlocked both companions on my main and have taken them along to complete simple dailies. Our chars aren't allowed inside group dungeons before level 10, so I didn't put them through that kind of content yet.

Neither is level 6 yet and are still using the white, no-trait gear they start with. With Mirri I've done a few dolmens, the group boss of a public dungeon, all the dailies in the Reach and a couple of Oblivion portals. I have yet to see her die.
    I've only done one set of guild dailies with Bastian (Mages, Fighters and Undaunted) and he didn't die either. He did take more damage than Mirri, though.

Your post mentioning lower-level characters reminds me! On new characters there's that hidden buff that kind of helps boost your stats and level you out some, and it never even occurred to me to question whether or not that mechanic extends to Companions too. If it does, that sure would explain a lot of the disparity in people's experiences with them!

Anyone have any insight on this?
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my first impression of companions is that when i download mods that give companions in any other game mmo or single player, i simply walk up to the companion, ask that companion to follow me, and boom, i got myself a companion.
    but here in eso, its a huge hassle and all kinds of quest and problems and not even allowed fair armor for the companion and they made the companions extremely Weak.
  • hydrocynus
    hydrocynus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We did 6 Keys pledges yesterday with Mirri as healer. I think she was level 8

Non DLC Pledges were all Speed Run, No Death, HM - no problem

DLC Pledge was Imperial City Prison so we were interested to see how she dealt with Portals and it seemed like she was immune to them. We managed to finish final boss HM but with some deaths to us and to Mirri too but she only died on the final boss. On the watcher boss she happily run around the poison obvlious to it, while healing us.

We then did a veteran Scalecaller peak and could not do Hard mode with Mirri but to be perfectly honest it wasnt her fault. Interestingly at Dragonbreath time we expected her to die since she wouldnt do the mechanics, but she just happily ran around in the dragon breath and survived. That meant one extra mechanic for the 3 of us in case we messed something up. I reckon if the 3 of us real players got gud, it would be doable. We then did it on non-HM and it was a breeze. Again she couldnt care less about the dragon breath and just ran around happily.

The owner of the companion did say she was freaking out a lot - didnt seem to want to be there. Wish i could have heard some of that
    Edited by hydrocynus on June 3, 2021 3:41PM
    My internet is invalid
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I really dislike is all the exaggeration of their faults. Everyone unnderstands that companions will need tweaks instead of bashing this new feature why not suggest ways to make them better? These forums could use a dose of good not bad criticism.
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alurria wrote: »
    What I really dislike is all the exaggeration of their faults. Everyone unnderstands that companions will need tweaks instead of bashing this new feature why not suggest ways to make them better? These forums could use a dose of good not bad criticism.

The problem is these suggestions where made the last 7 weeks during the PTS cycle and all of them where ignored.

The problematic survivability was mentioned as well as the low damage and the extremely grindy gear system. During the cycle the compagnion healing was even nerfed togetehr with their dodge capabilities.
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is these suggestions where made the last 7 weeks during the PTS cycle and all of them where ignored.

The problematic survivability was mentioned as well as the low damage and the extremely grindy gear system. During the cycle the compagnion healing was even nerfed togetehr with their dodge capabilities.

I understand what you are saying and how you are saying it, it is reasonable how ever as I said you will find other threads that only bash or have unreasonable expectations and exaggerate issues with the companions. I have been questing with my companion I don't forget where he is in relation to me and I watch his health. He hasn't died yet. I think people are expecting too much, and not giving usable feed back. Saying a companion died to a boss, okay which boss? What level is the companion, what gear are they wearing what skills are they using? With no information just bashing a new feature is just complaining. If a person is so unhappy about companions ffs don't use them it's not that hard. But for the love of god if people can't give reasonable feedback they need to zip it! Because it is not helpful and it's really disgusting to continue to read peoples unrelenting complaints.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey! Bastian is the damn Vault Tech representative! :smiley::smiley:
    51218234788_dd0910d630_c.jpg

You should post that in this thread:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/575557/bastian-looks-a-lot-like#latest
    PCNA
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand what you are saying and how you are saying it, it is reasonable how ever as I said you will find other threads that only bash or have unreasonable expectations and exaggerate issues with the companions. I have been questing with my companion I don't forget where he is in relation to me and I watch his health. He hasn't died yet. I think people are expecting too much, and not giving usable feed back. Saying a companion died to a boss, okay which boss? What level is the companion, what gear are they wearing what skills are they using? With no information just bashing a new feature is just complaining. If a person is so unhappy about companions ffs don't use them it's not that hard. But for the love of god if people can't give reasonable feedback they need to zip it! Because it is not helpful and it's really disgusting to continue to read peoples unrelenting complaints.

I understand your point. The problem is that the Devs hyped this as a great feature and this caused expectations. They then ignored all the feedback and delivered a system that has nearly no integration with the existing game or uses any experience gained from other game systems. That players get upset by this is understandable, especially given that this mess is the main addition of the whole addon.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they really are looking at these suggestions. But it takes time to figure out just what to tweak and by how much, then apply the changes.

Remember the huge Rapids debate? They did listen to feedback and in the end made a change that was more than the players even asked for, even after they announced that they had no plans to change it. But it took awhile to happen.

So keep giving feedback. Positive as well as negative.
    PCNA