The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Companions - Your first impression on our new friends

• Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Companions seem alright, they are not as annoying as other followers. They seem to level quite fast, and do not have any annoying animations. Their damage seems alright, for mine being a level 7 still.

Unlocking them was a nightmare though, and so far I have only unlocked both on 16/18 characters. Going to do the other two today. And there should be a map indicator of where to get the companions.

Haven't had a chance to play around with their likes and dislikes, or their storylines yet.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have obtained Bastion so far and he is a likeable fellow. Sometimes he knocks enemies out of my aoe. He sometimes tells me that he hopes I will eat the bug that I just killed but I think he is trying to be funny. He seems to like it when I harvest nodes and read books. He seems to like fireplaces. He likes killing bad guys, which is right up my character's alley as well. I put him away before I steal anything. I figured he would not like that and after reading the comments above, that is confirmed.

BhxBVvV.png
    Edited by Dojohoda on June 2, 2021 9:24AM
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • MorganaBlue
    MorganaBlue
    ✭✭✭
    I hate Companions, don't want them, but I find everybody else's pet NPCs in my face everywhere I go.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of the comments have been humorous.
    Edited by kargen27 on June 2, 2021 9:29AM
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    I have obtained Bastion so far and he is a likeable fellow. Sometimes he knocks enemies out of my aoe. He sometimes tells me that he hopes I will eat the bug that I just killed but I think he is trying to be funny. He seems to like it when I harvest nodes and read books. He seems to like fireplaces. He likes killing bad guys, which is right up my character's alley as well. I put him away before I steal anything. I figured he would not like that and after reading the comments above, that is confirmed.

BhxBVvV.png

Great feedback on Bastion... May this one also ask what the chest motif your character has?
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

BhxBVvV.png

Great feedback on Bastion... May this one also ask what the chest motif your character has?

I'm not on the game at the time of typing this, but I believe that chest piece is the new Deadlands Gladiator Outfit Style.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Need to be made stronger so they dont die in harder fights. But apart from that, they are fun.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Impressions:

I played with both on PTS but have only picked up Bastian on live so far. I enjoy travelling with him but I wouldn't say I find him particularly useful. I play primarily solo and will likely keep a companion with me moving forward but mainly for the roleplay reasons of my character travelling with a friend rather than because they offer any significant assistance in combat.

I haven't seen Bastian's rapport increase from node harvesting. He comments on it a lot, but unless there's a silent background increase it doesn't seem to influence his rapport. He approved of me killing Daedra in a random encounter as well as at a dolmen, but then disapproved of me killing a main quest boss that was a Daedra, so he seems like he can't decide how he feels about them. (I'm sure that specific boss is a glitch but I reported it on PTS and it's still here so who knows.)

NPCs never acknowledge the presence of companions, even when the particular quest means they absolutely should not be there. Bastian is essentially equivalent to a banker or merchant assistant in this regard.

I ran almost all the content in the zone today and found a whole four pieces of companion gear in the process. It got Bastian to level 10 with no grinding and no XP buff. I was on a max level character though - if you find him on a lowbie and try to level him that way he will take absolutely forever.

I made sure to do everything he approved of all day (reading bookshelves on cooldown etc) other than his weird dislike of me killing a particular Dremora, and his rapport slider does not appear to have moved at all. Maxing that seems like it will take months.

Played a bit more with Bastion and this one agrees - positive comments on harvesting but no green icon to show rapport. Book reading (ie checking out bookshelves) has generated the most approval icon. So this one has been taking Bastion to all the Mages Guild and delves with bookshelves. Same with Miri.
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chaos2088 wrote: »
    Need to be made stronger so they dont die in harder fights. But apart from that, they are fun.

True... for the first five minutes or so :)

Seriously, I'm really too old to enjoy having someone pushing on me his/her way of life, and never relent...
    Edited by fiender66 on June 2, 2021 10:41AM
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Played a bit more with Bastion and this one agrees - positive comments on harvesting but no green icon to show rapport. Book reading (ie checking out bookshelves) has generated the most approval icon. So this one has been taking Bastion to all the Mages Guild and delves with bookshelves.

Try scrying for antiquities, he likes that - I got two green icons during 5 leads.

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen in several companion threads of people complaining they 'don't survive hard fights'... and wonder why they do not realize that you can't expect a non-leveled, low level gear wearing companion to survive hard fights early on. Even on PTS, a fully leveled, purple gear equipped companion had a hard time, especially in VET content. I do believe they were buffed somewhat before launch though, because I never had a single death and I ran several dolmens and public dungeons yesterday. You can't expect them to be 'player replacements' especially in more difficult content. Also, much like a true companion, you have to keep an eye on them and make sure they're not being overwhelmed... funny though, how Mirri kept giving me advice during combat. LoL! Although she thanked me once when I popped a heal when she was being hit and I was across the room.

As for Bastian, I really love this character. Also, one time he said, "What have we here?" and I hadn't even noticed there was a heavy sack near us. However, I have read books in dungeons with both companions and never once noticed any type of approval from doing it. I didn't spend a lot of time questing with them, as I took them four times through each of the guild quests... I have six more characters to unlock them on today.

I was happy to see I received some blue and green gear from the dungeon runs, but no purple. I'm not sure if they are restricting purple drops to higher level bosses like world bosses or perhaps I've just been unlucky. Speaking of gear, someone posted that they noticed that traited companion gear is 'researchable', which gives me hope that they plan to eventually make it possible to craft companion gear. Perhaps they are waiting to see how much outrage they are going to get from the poor drops before making the decision to allow it or not.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @DarcyMardin and I duoed nWGT with companions, and they survived pretty well. Notes on mine include:
    • I used Bastian.
    • He had a healing build but no defense.
    • He was about Level 6.
    • His armor was terrible -- in fact, I screwed up and left half of it off. :D
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on June 2, 2021 11:21AM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DarcyMardin and I duoed nWGT with companions, and they survived pretty well. Notes on mine include:
    • I used Bastian.
    • He had a healing build but no defense.
    • He was about Level 6.
    • His armor was terrible -- in fact, I screwed up and left half of it off. :D

I don't think they're as bad as people are expecting. I think many people's opinions were tainted from PTS, where they underwent behind the scenes revisions that were never announced. So I think a lot of people are using them now, and not giving them a chance because they are taking them into hard content without even leveling them and saying, "See, just like on PTS." Honestly, I had no problems with them yesterday whatsoever in regular overland, dolemens and public dungeons with white gear and under level 10. I can only expect them to get better over time once they're leveled and have much better gear and skills.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I set up Miri out of curiosity and let her tag along randomly while I did all the main story line. Providing she's left with a bow and her defensive skills she doesn't seem to die (or do much of anything but slighty up the DPS) overland or delves, but promptly went splat in the end fight. Better than the experiences I had with them on PTS.

Bigger problem is that there are hundreds of near identical companions running around everywhere., Really needs an addon or setting to vanish other people's companions. Maybe that will get better as there are more companions in future, but it would have been better if everyone got a slightly different looking version of the companion. Right now Leyawin is worse than the quest full of stibbons.

Companion gear, companion skills mechanic is really disappointing compared with even 2014 technology (eg Skyrim).
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m guessing they are unlocked per character & not account wide?

(Have 18 chars. This is going to get dull fast.)
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    I’m guessing they are unlocked per character & not account wide?

(Have 18 chars. This is going to get dull fast.)

You have to unlock them on each and every character- as in- complete each of their starter quests. However, their progression IS account wide and their gear/build are also account wide, however, their appearance (outfits, costumes) are individual per character.
  • Anachronia
    Hey! Bastian is the damn Vault Tech representative! :smiley::smiley:
    51218234788_dd0910d630_c.jpg

I cannot un-see this
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, I have Mirri set up as pure healer and she always manages to draw agro and ruin my rotation. I do enjoy the new dialog with her.

Why do her weapon skills take so long to level? All her class skills level quickly but her resto won't budge.

Also, companions need to store their own gear.

@ZOS_GinaBruno

Edited by Enemy-of-Coldharbour on June 2, 2021 12:43PM
    Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmm, I have Mirri set up as pure healer and she always manages to draw agro and ruin my rotation. I do enjoy the new dialog with her.

Why do her weapon skills take so long to level? All her class skills level quickly but her resto won't budge.

Also, companions need to store their own gear.

@ZOS_GinaBruno

I noticed a similar hiccup with Bastian; I gave him the Maul I found, but the skill line wouldn't progress at first. The first skill unlocked fine when equipping the weapon, but when I went to check my progress toward the next one later (after killing things, doing stuff, earning XP, etc.) it hadn't moved.

Un-equipping and re-equipping fixed it.
  • Chuck_Finley
    Chuck_Finley
    ✭✭✭

BhxBVvV.png

I'm not on the game at the time of typing this, but I believe that chest piece is the new Deadlands Gladiator Outfit Style.

Nope, that is the Nord Hero costume that pops up on the crown store about 2-3 times a year. Last time the hero costumes were on the crown store (I think) was around February so you likely have to wait a few months for it to pop up again.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

BhxBVvV.png

Nope, that is the Nord Hero costume that pops up on the crown store about 2-3 times a year. Last time the hero costumes were on the crown store (I think) was around February so you likely have to wait a few months for it to pop up again.

They're asking what motif the Player is wearing. :D You know, the Altmer lass standing right there with the uncommon chest armor?

BhxBVvV.png

• nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pretty cool, I like that you have to interact with them to access their menu, like Skyrim. Cool feature, skys the limit. Would be nice to see your companion in your log in screen.
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    After playing with Bastian some more...

I feel ZOS should remove the dislikes. It's like saying they want us to play the game a certain way.
    Also, do they expect us to remember all the likes and dislikes for the different companions?... seems silly.
    Slow down the approval gain somewhat, but remove the dislikes completely.

Other than that, companions seem like a great addition.
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Bastion set up as a mage with some healing he did really well he is only level 4 but I am finding them fun so far. I think people are expecting too much from companions. Let's remember what the definition of companion means, they are NOT pack mules, they are NOT combat pets. They are companions just as regular players are your companions in dungeons, WBS or delves overland anywhere. They need to be leveled, and like any lower level player need to do content that is appropriate for their level. Just my observation. I am enjoying my companion and will unlock the other soon. I suspect many people are over exaggerateing because they expected companions to be something they are not which are a fully leveled 50 cp800 competent player. They were ment to augment players who need them who don't want to be exposed to toxic behavior of some people in groups. I just realized what a sad statement of affairs my prior sentence is. Smh
  • TrinitySinn
    TrinitySinn
    ✭✭
    My husbands companion was pulling bosses out and resetting them, we had to put a sword on him to make him fight closer rather than a staff.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alurria wrote: »
    I have Bastion set up as a mage with some healing he did really well he is only level 4 but I am finding them fun so far. I think people are expecting too much from companions. Let's remember what the definition of companion means, they are NOT pack mules, they are NOT combat pets. They are companions just as regular players are your companions in dungeons, WBS or delves overland anywhere. They need to be leveled, and like any lower level player need to do content that is appropriate for their level. Just my observation. I am enjoying my companion and will unlock the other soon. I suspect many people are over exaggerateing because they expected companions to be something they are not which are a fully leveled 50 cp800 competent player. They were ment to augment players who need them who don't want to be exposed to toxic behavior of some people in groups. I just realized what a sad statement of affairs my prior sentence is. Smh

Absolutely agree! Like seeing people bashing companions because, without even being leveled, without the best gear, the complained because they couldn't complete HARD content. I hate to tell them, but many PLAYERS cannot complete difficult content. Companions are not meant to be 'player replacements' in difficult content, but they should be helpful in regular group dungeons for players who are almost able to solo them, but might need an additional boost. Yet, this shouldn't be expected UNTIL they are fully leveled and have the best gear. So yeah, perhaps MONTHS from now... don't expect it to be an easy grind to max them out.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My husbands companion was pulling bosses out and resetting them, we had to put a sword on him to make him fight closer rather than a staff.

This is why ZOS needs to lower their threat level. It doesn't make sense that a low damage "player" generates more threat than a high damage player. @ZOS_GinaBruno Is there anything in the works to lower their threat level so they aren't constantly drawing aggro away from higher damage players?
  • Ultravylence
    Ultravylence
    ✭✭✭
    I really really do not enjoy seeing every player with the same 2 companions following them around. Piles of Bastion's standing over quest givers.

As well, as a system we really really need more variety and at minimum all 4 classes represented at launch.

I feel Companions are 1/2 baked, but as an ESO Beta tester I can guarantee it will be a good system in 1-2 years. Keep subscribing all!
  • NoxiousBlight
    NoxiousBlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are still pretty weak as was often reported on the PTS, but I just keep them out and basically ignore them so I guess I stopped caring about their power level. Shame, as they really could be something special. Healing staff definitely seems to be the way to go to get the most use out of them.

I played a lot on the PTS but didn't grind for gear as I tested them maxed out to not spoil anything. I have played about 12 hours on live so far and have gotten 3 blues and 2 green pieces. It is pretty painful. I REALLY wish the companion traits were researchable at the crafting stations. Master crafters would be happy to have more to learn and craft, while ZOS could sell more research scrolls in the crown store. As it stands now purple pieces, especially in quickened or other good traits, will be selling for at least 500k a pop for some time to come. Purple jewelry will probably be even more since you can't even buy it in white. I don't really have my hopes up of ever getting to build out my companion like I did on the PTS.

Quest wise, after I finished Mirri's quest, I was surprised that she then just joined me. There wasn't really any indication or story line to suggest that she wanted to stay with me forever.

I also don't like that I can't just grab bugs with Mirri out now. Really annoys me as they are all over the Blackwood delves but I stopped gathering them so I don't get negative rapport. I do not think this is a positive player experience.

Overall I am pretty meh about the companions even though I was very excited about them prior to the PTS cycle. I really wanted companions in the game but I now I am slightly disappointed. I suppose it was too ambitious to expect something like SWTOR's system. But, they are something else to grind up and I love the hamster wheel of MMOs, so i'll max them both out anyway. Just wish they had a little more "umph" or were more interesting in general.

Edited by NoxiousBlight on June 2, 2021 2:08PM
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just took Bastian (Level 6, only equipped with the white gear and staff) to Spindleclutch 1 and it was fine, he only died once with the Swarm Mother. Together with Clannfear, Twilight and Storm Atronach we were a pretty good team. So, at the moment I would not say that companions are totally weak and useless. I like them.