The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Health Recovery and PvP

wretch200
wretch200
✭✭✭
The -50% health recovery in player vs player interactions is, in my opinion, an overstep and will not solve any issues we are currently seeing in PvP content.
The problem with health recovery in PvP is not health recovery derived from sets or food buffs, rather from the Strategic Reserve passive under the Fitness Champion tree. The passive basically gives any player massive amounts of sustain just for withholding their Ultimate, which is counterintuitive.

Furthermore, this sets anyone who spent any amount of time grinding for or working on sets that don't "necessarily" just give health recovery, such as Eternal Vigor (albeit this set being reworked) and Willow's Path, MUCH less desirable options which may have cost some an incredible amount of gold, honestly only proliferating the dilemma with proc sets as these will become even MORE desirable.

All in all, I DO NOT think that nerfing Health Recovery by a flatline of 50% is a long-term viable option for PVP, as this stat was hardly problematic before Flames of Ambition.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the biggest bout I’ve seen. Food buffs are definitely part of the problem as they are giving ‘free’ health recovery, cp is only compounding the issue, and other things as well. Health recovery has rightfully been nerfed, the only thing to debate here is if it has been the ‘right’ way or not.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • wretch200
    wretch200
    ✭✭✭
    This is the biggest bout I’ve seen. Food buffs are definitely part of the problem as they are giving ‘free’ health recovery, cp is only compounding the issue, and other things as well. Health recovery has rightfully been nerfed, the only thing to debate here is if it has been the ‘right’ way or not.

This is "kinda" what I'm saying. Too much of any free stat is an issue, Health recovery included. But a flatline 50% reduction in PvP is not the answer.
  • BrentBlemish
    BrentBlemish
    ✭✭✭✭
    wretch200 wrote: »

This is "kinda" what I'm saying. Too much of any free stat is an issue, Health recovery included. But a flatline 50% reduction in PvP is not the answer.

I think the term "free" here is subjective or relative i guess... the best foods for health recov, like Artium Takeaway Broth, dont feel "free" to me. I have to farm and stock up on these mats. These mats are also not super cheap to buy either. So, you either farm to get these mats or buy pre-made broths from a guild trader, which, costs gold... There is work that goes into prepping these "free" stats. and also in any given situation takes away from something else. Same with Mundus stones... which might be the most relative concept of "free" stat. but again... if you CHOOSE to take a certain stat from Munus then you lose something else.

since the dawn of MMOs, food has always given buffs. or "free" stats... I really dont think food is the issue here. TBH i dont even think health recovery is an issue at all. To be honest, i feel like this is more of a situation where they removed proc sets from PvP and given the very small slection of sets we had access too, a lot of people turned to health recov to help them stay alive. so... all of sudden ZOS saw a huge influx of health recov builds and thought "The data shows this is a problem" but it's also forced data. You backed ppl into a corner to use health recov and as soon as proc sets return, a lot of ppl will move away from health recov and back to their original builds.

Also... as with anything else... makling a build for a lot of health recov takes away from a lot of other offensive stats... plays are CHOOSING to be tanky. Your sacrificing offensive stats for defensive... idk man.... I just really dont think health recovery is an a problem.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I think the term "free" here is subjective or relative i guess... the best foods for health recov, like Artium Takeaway Broth, dont feel "free" to me. I have to farm and stock up on these mats. These mats are also not super cheap to buy either. So, you either farm to get these mats or buy pre-made broths from a guild trader, which, costs gold... There is work that goes into prepping these "free" stats. and also in any given situation takes away from something else. Same with Mundus stones... which might be the most relative concept of "free" stat. but again... if you CHOOSE to take a certain stat from Munus then you lose something else.

since the dawn of MMOs, food has always given buffs. or "free" stats... I really dont think food is the issue here. TBH i dont even think health recovery is an issue at all. To be honest, i feel like this is more of a situation where they removed proc sets from PvP and given the very small slection of sets we had access too, a lot of people turned to health recov to help them stay alive. so... all of sudden ZOS saw a huge influx of health recov builds and thought "The data shows this is a problem" but it's also forced data. You backed ppl into a corner to use health recov and as soon as proc sets return, a lot of ppl will move away from health recov and back to their original builds.

Also... as with anything else... makling a build for a lot of health recov takes away from a lot of other offensive stats... plays are CHOOSING to be tanky. Your sacrificing offensive stats for defensive... idk man.... I just really dont think health recovery is an a problem.

It's "free" in the sense that something like Sugar Skulls is the clear BiS food for many builds due to its unmatched stat density.

It would likely remain so even without the Health Recovery, which honestly feels tacked-on and out-of-place. Why is it there, nobody knows. The materials to make it are also dirt cheap (relative to certain other gold foods) so it's not like you have to shell out for Perfect Roe in order to make it.

There are other foods that have Health Recovery that also do not need it (Takeaway Broth and Clockwork). Players would use those foods even without the Health Recovery since they provide the highest combination of your essential sustain stats and Health. PvE wouldn't miss it at all and in PvP it would cut down the incidence of "free" Health Recovery on builds that otherwise were not building for it.

TLDR; Health Recovery should be removed from several of these gold foods and replaced with a different stat. Currently, many players are receiving it as essentially a freebie for doing things that they would have done anyway.
  • BrentBlemish
    BrentBlemish
    ✭✭✭✭
    as someone ran a health recov WW in PvP, Take away broth was esential for me. I havent ran gold food for PvE in a long time. I use blue food. Max stam and stam recov. I have like 20k max health and i run vet content... speed runs, no deaths, hard modes... ect... Max health food hasnt been something ive ran for a couple years now.
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So,did lethal arrow just get a 50% buff.....sorta?
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With 50% health recovery nerf, the stat & health regen sets it will be outperformed (by a lot) by healing proc sets.

On PTS for example, best I could achieve (by stacking as much health recovery sets, food & glyphs etc.) was around 2K. Also, that build would be unplayable in normal PvP as it lacked sustain, mobility dmg etc. I just tried to see how much can you min-max health recovery with 50% de-buff.

My conclusion was that it is useless & not worth it. Players will most likely end up using robust or arcane jewellery + other glyphs (rather than health recovery + infused) as robust / arcane combined with healing proc sets will provide more healing vs using health recovery glyphs + health recovery sets. Also, more offensive stat = stronger skills. So dmg will go up, passive health gain will stay the same (but it will be achieved by different means).

Other thing I noticed is that "healing done / taken" (The Ritual mundus for example) also affects healing proc sets, boosting their effectiveness, but does not affect health recovery.

TLDR: 50% health recovery nerf is too much, as it will cause health regeneration stat (and all bonuses to health regen, sets, glyphs, heavy armour etc) to become obsolete & not a valid alternative to healing / sustain / defensive proc sets.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree that this is to much, it makes a lot of confusion between PvP and PvE. Also this doesn't make sense, even 5k hp recovery is like 2,5k vigor tick which is pretty low. Is this really so OP when you take into consideration that you need to build for it? It's not like you put 1 set and boom you have 5k hp regen while when you build for damage your vigor ticks sky rocket at the same time.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree.

Health recovery needed to be reduced by 50% like all other healing because it has little to no opportunity cost, yet begins to outperform actual healing that requires real stat investment and opportunity cost (casting a skill, and requiring a crit to be effective) too easily.

When ZOS introduced Eternal Vigor, Strategic Reserve CP, Sugar Skulls food, etc. health recovery became a problem because now you can build in a way to get damage, get healing, and stack a massive amount of health recovery for little to no cost.

Health recovery is so effective ball groups even stack it now. Everyone knows that ball groups only use what is OP at the moment and/or what gives a massive advantage over others and nothing else.

To say that reducing health recovery by 50% will cause confusion is not even an argument worth debating because by that logic exactly how does reducing healing by 50% in general not cause confusion? When and how does or will a health recovery reduction cause confusion if it is added in the same exact description as the 50% healing reduction?

Health recovery is a problem in PvP and ZOS is taking a PvP approach to fix it instead of nerfing the stat in PvE as well. Every player that is "good" has at least 4-5K health recovery with little effort on the CP campaign and over 3K on the no CP campaign. It is the META and it is the most overpowered stat in PvP in the game on live server right now.

Players should be celebrating, not pretending that health recovery is not an issue.
  • AyaDark
    AyaDark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not free you take HP recovery or some other recovery.

But food with HP recovery is 5 times cheaper.

And forme as example i think twice - kill some invice user or use potion for 200 coins to see him ... .
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Players should be celebrating, not pretending that health recovery is not an issue.

All good points, except all of the base game classes have a percentile buff to HP Regen, the DLC classes do not. Whether or not that means anything depends on your individual experience in-game.

If you're interested in this subject you discuss of the impact of large integer sources of HP Regen, read:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/571123/health-recovery-inconsistency-and-viability
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree.

Health recovery needed to be reduced by 50% like all other healing because it has little to no opportunity cost, yet begins to outperform actual healing that requires real stat investment and opportunity cost (casting a skill, and requiring a crit to be effective) too easily.

When ZOS introduced Eternal Vigor, Strategic Reserve CP, Sugar Skulls food, etc. health recovery became a problem because now you can build in a way to get damage, get healing, and stack a massive amount of health recovery for little to no cost.

Health recovery is so effective ball groups even stack it now. Everyone knows that ball groups only use what is OP at the moment and/or what gives a massive advantage over others and nothing else.

To say that reducing health recovery by 50% will cause confusion is not even an argument worth debating because by that logic exactly how does reducing healing by 50% in general not cause confusion? When and how does or will a health recovery reduction cause confusion if it is added in the same exact description as the 50% healing reduction?

Health recovery is a problem in PvP and ZOS is taking a PvP approach to fix it instead of nerfing the stat in PvE as well. Every player that is "good" has at least 4-5K health recovery with little effort on the CP campaign and over 3K on the no CP campaign. It is the META and it is the most overpowered stat in PvP in the game on live server right now.

It's confusing because when you have sets that give triple recovery why just health recovery is halved?

I guess by saying every player in CP has 4-5k you are talking about strategic reserve CP.
    1. It has a price, you can't use ultimates which is huge cost, in most cases it's counterintuitive and not effective when you can have defensive and offensive ultimate at the same time.
    2. 95% of players don't use it, how do I know? Because in almost every single fight I was, people were spamming ultimates on "cool down".
    3. I guarantee you that you will see even more immortal builds with high damage in this patch, because it wasn't HP recovery that was the problem here. Just wait :)
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The combination of CP's Startegic Reserve and Balorgh was over powered.
    However, Health recovery has been problematic since before CP 2.0.
    It's time to correct it.
  • JSTCH
    JSTCH
    ✭✭
    50% Just another reason to give up on this game. I think the time and money I’ve spent, is the only thing That keeps me playing. Sick to death of the nerfs. Why not a slight nerf? Why does everything have to be a nerf to the ground
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's "free" in the sense that something like Sugar Skulls is the clear BiS food for many builds due to its unmatched stat density.

It would likely remain so even without the Health Recovery, which honestly feels tacked-on and out-of-place. Why is it there, nobody knows. The materials to make it are also dirt cheap (relative to certain other gold foods) so it's not like you have to shell out for Perfect Roe in order to make it.

There are other foods that have Health Recovery that also do not need it (Takeaway Broth and Clockwork). Players would use those foods even without the Health Recovery since they provide the highest combination of your essential sustain stats and Health. PvE wouldn't miss it at all and in PvP it would cut down the incidence of "free" Health Recovery on builds that otherwise were not building for it.

TLDR; Health Recovery should be removed from several of these gold foods and replaced with a different stat. Currently, many players are receiving it as essentially a freebie for doing things that they would have done anyway.

I'd like a gold food that gives hp, stam, mag, and stam recovery (or mag recovery)
    I'd also like a food that gives hp, stam (or mag), stam recovery, mag recovery
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • umagon
    umagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The health regeneration changes are not going to have the type of impact people are hopping for. Health regeneration is just one component of a player’s total healing per second value. Players will just shift points from their stat budget from health regeneration to weapon/spell damage and magicka/stamina pools. Using which ever one or combination will return their total healing per second value back to where they want it with active skills.

The only way to get healing in pvp under control while keeping it viable is to stop weapon/spell damage from allowing players to double dip and scaling their healing output and damage output simultaneously the same with magicka/stamina pools.

Base stats should only control one value. Weapon damage should only increase damage done with stamina based weapons/skills, spell damage should only increase damage done with magicka based weapons/spells. Magicka and stamina pools should only control the frequency of those skills and have no increasement on the amplitude.

A new healing stat needs be created something like “restoration power” which all healing out values scale from players given a base value similar to weapon/spell damage. And healing scaling off of health pools removed, with health regeneration on sets and food adjusted down as needed. And “restoration power” added to healing based sets and weapons.

Healing should an active investment that players need to make sacrifices for. In current system no matter if it’s a build that is heavy in offense damage output or defensive damage mitigation; little to no sacrifices to either has to be made to get copious amounts healing output.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    umagon wrote: »
    The health regeneration changes are not going to have the type of impact people are hopping for.
    This is correct, there is still way too much free healing, it just kills off some build diversity.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • dvonpm
    dvonpm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly starting to wonder if they should call it like PTSD instead of Battle Spirits. Or Battle Malaise. Battle Ennui? Battle Weltschmerz?

Calling it Battle Spirits is just kind of insulting lol.

Sorry I have nothing productive to add 🙃

• Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am totaly against removing health recovery.
    the only thing loosing health recovery is going to do is hurt nightblades like me that have low health.
    we will now die 50% faster than we did before.
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    i am totaly against removing health recovery.
    the only thing loosing health recovery is going to do is hurt nightblades like me that have low health.
    we will now die 50% faster than we did before.

lol
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Previously, I have created the poll. Approx the same percentage of people say that 50% nerf is justified and say that they were ok with 100%. I jump to the conclusion that correct nerf here is 75% instead of 50%, and see how it goes.

But that's obviously what I'd like to see, and not what would happen. What would happen is they will give it dot skill nerf treatment and we will all forget that health recovery gear exists.
    Edited by divnyi on May 18, 2021 9:15PM