The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Name Plate Poll in Elder Scrolls

• rdfarley89
    rdfarley89
    ✭✭✭
    We DO NOT want name plates in Elder Scrolls Online
    Would like some sort of guild member identifier though.
  • alexw12381ub17_ESO
    you can download a ui mod that does this..
  • MightyToSave
    We DO want name plates in Elder Scrolls Online
    you can download a ui mod that does this..

Nope.

• Mailmann
    Mailmann
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm allowed to turn off nameplates, then I'm actually indifferent to them. Otherwise, I most certainly do not want to be stuck in a sea of names that are usually lore/immersion breaking.
  • Vandarion
    Vandarion
    Soul Shriven
    1. Human diversity: We want different things. Playerbase is a really heterogeneous group
    2. Your way of playing and experiencing the game might not be the right way for someone else, no matter how hard you argue
    3. That's why the UI (and the game) should be as customizable as possible
    4. Give users more customization options like the Plates. Thank you
    Edited by Vandarion on April 22, 2014 8:58AM
         /        /                 /          /             /      /             /        /                  /            /    /                /      /      /                    /               /      /      /
             /        All those moments            /                    /             /         /                /                    /      /                /              /
                            will be lost in time            /                     /                           /            /        /          /            /                   /          /
           /                          like tears in rain                         /      /                         /          /               /                  /       
                 /                                      /                 /             /                                    /                   /                        /                   /            /        /
                  /   - Roy Batty                  /                     /         /                /                    /      /                      /                   /                   /
  • Mightylink
    Mightylink
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't they just make it an option, why does everything have to be forced one way or the other these days...
    Mightylink - Nord Battlemage (Sorcerer)
  • Vandarion
    Vandarion
    Soul Shriven
    Mightylink wrote: »
    Why can't they just make it an option, why does everything have to be forced one way or the other these days...

An Example from the story-immersion point of view:

Giving the plate option means that there won't be "immersive-non-nameplate-pvp-battles" anymore, because the better recognizability gained by using plates is an advantage in a pvp situation. Everyone has to have plates on to get that advantage, so it would be stupid not to use it. Just a dumb example, but the underlying point is valid:
    1. Without the option, the game stays more immersive. Until the option is implemented, the game is dominated by the immersion point of view
    2. If the option is implemented and those who use it have a possible advantage, then the game will be dominated by the non-immersion point of view

There is no middle ground really, until someone comes up with an idea which satisfies everyone.
    Edited by Vandarion on April 22, 2014 11:31AM
         /        /                 /          /             /      /             /        /                  /            /    /                /      /      /                    /               /      /      /
             /        All those moments            /                    /             /         /                /                    /      /                /              /
                            will be lost in time            /                     /                           /            /        /          /            /                   /          /
           /                          like tears in rain                         /      /                         /          /               /                  /       
                 /                                      /                 /             /                                    /                   /                        /                   /            /        /
                  /   - Roy Batty                  /                     /         /                /                    /      /                      /                   /                   /
  • drowadin
    drowadin
    ✭✭
    Nice to see polls but you don't get to vote and get what u want lol. Why do you think obama is president
  • drowadin
    drowadin
    ✭✭
    no nameplates if i do not want someone to see my nameplate then I should have the right no matter what you decide they will use it for tartgetting and cheat watch.
  • Rathsteel
    Rathsteel
    Nameplates ruin immersion, leave them out!

If you add optional name plates, guild leaders will force their people to use it, that's just unacceptable to me.

If you add anything, just add a color coded icon over heads to indicate its a player, but any names or anything more then just a simple dot on someone is going to be misused and end in ruined immersion of the game.

With the amount of bots and macros that are out there, they would use any marking identification as a way to cheat or automate their characters, please keep that out of the game. thank you.
    Edited by Rathsteel on April 22, 2014 12:31PM
  • MightyToSave
    Vandarion wrote: »
    Mightylink wrote: »

An Example from the story-immersion point of view:

Giving the plate option means that there won't be "immersive-non-nameplate-pvp-battles" anymore, because the better recognizability gained by using plates is an advantage in a pvp situation. Everyone has to have plates on to get that advantage, so it would be stupid not to use it. Just a dumb example, but the underlying point is valid:
    1. Without the option, the game stays more immersive. Until the option is implemented, the game is dominated by the immersion point of view
    2. If the option is implemented and those who use it have a possible advantage, then the game will be dominated by the non-immersion point of view

There is no middle ground really, until someone comes up with an idea which satisfies everyone.

Is this different than the health bar and alliance tag that is already visible?
  • steerpike1979
    I really want a toggle nameplate option. I feel it would help with keeping track of who is who in my group (which is not as easy as it would seem). Also, I would like marking system for groups (as a tank, I wanna know where my healer is at at any given moment). I also would like to see a quick target marking system for enemies as battles seem to devolve into chaotic aoe dps/cc spams (not including boss fights). I feel these would be simple ease-of-play issues that could be added without much heartache.
  • Supersomething
    Supersomething
    ✭✭✭
    @Rathsteel
    Where are these guilds you guys keep making up that force players to use nameplates? Forcing to use addons I have heard of but never in nine years of playing MMO's have I heard of a guild saying you must have name plates on.

You find an icon over a player less immersion breaking than the option to toggle nameplates? Please explain to me how it is less immersion breaking to have that.

Bots seem to be doing just fine without nameplates and I highly doubt that will make or break future endeavors for botters.
    Edited by Supersomething on April 22, 2014 2:42PM
    Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.
    Characters
    Tiberius Aulus
  • Humanistic
    Humanistic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nameplates already exist in the game, they are located at the top of the screen, just below the compass.

If you are visually impaired, or need a handicap, for whatever reason - you can download an addon. There are addons out now that include configurable nameplates around the reticle. That's the best it's going to get.
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate nameplates and chat bubbles.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • MightyToSave
    Deadmedic wrote: »
    Nameplates already exist in the game, they are located at the top of the screen, just below the compass.

If you are visually impaired, or need a handicap, for whatever reason - you can download an addon. There are addons out now that include configurable nameplates around the reticle. That's the best it's going to get.

Oh wow! What we've been discussing this whole time is already in the game?!?!

....if that was what we were after no one would be complaining about the lack of it.

It's sad that I have to do this.......
    Nameplates (in the context of this thread) hover above character models.

Lastly, how do you know what Zenimax will or will not do in the future? Did they state somewhere that they would not be implementing such a feature? All you can do is guess and present that guess as a fact.
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say leave it for the mod developers to create an add-on for it. So if you want it you can put the add-on on to your own computer. Less game code my computer has to run and less buggy server.
  • Dovel
    Dovel
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

Want nameplates, but leave in the option to turn them off for the people who do not want them. I am not sure why this is such a hard feature to add.
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An option to turn them on/off. Any MMO I play I always turn them off as this breaks any immersion for me. :)
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
  • elderscrollsb16_ESO109
    I don't care if there's an option to turn them on / off

BUT I would prefer other mechanisms to achieve the same goal.

For example, Guild tabards, some specific signs (aura ?) for people we have in our friends list.
  • lonetac
    lonetac
    Voted no. It ruins PvP and I doubt it would be implemented in a way that wouldnt *** off that group. I like it the way it is and actually find it a breath of fresh air that I dont see all of em. Sure I could disable them if i dont like them but it gives a clear advantage that forces users to enable it in pvp. If they were completely disabled in PvP and no way around modding it, I would change my vote but I dont see any developer finding that common ground.
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    would have voted the other way if you had specified it as optional
  • panemetcircenses
    Nameplates should be available as a UI option. I like being able to keep track of party members at a glance, and it provides convenient social information; sort of like our Forum name shows with each post, a name in-game provides at-a-glance information of its own. It would allow us all to quickly spot:

a) bot clusters: a crowd named kjfh, hfiuhei, and esjhf it a clear indicator of that one... though the wad of folks all following the same x/y coordinates or scripted route indicates that too; the overhead names would make reporting the scripted route bots much easier, btw.
    b) trolls: if you see someone named Leroy Jenkins, he's probably going to charge the boss solo and drag all the mobs to the group that's trying to work a strategy; look at youtube, it's kind of hilarious.
    c) and your friends running past in town: that can and probably have changed armor since you last made note of their in-game appearance.

I do prefer it as an option, rather than a mandatory UI element, though. Either a Gameplay UI option or an available toggle hotkey would work nicely, and allow folks desiring immersion to disable it... actually, have it something we have to enable so that nameplates aren't forced on players but added as a choice and I think the community as a whole would be just fine with it.
  • cisadanepajsuxrwb17_ESO
    Why cant i choose? That way it doesnt impact those who doesnt wanna see nameplates. End of story
  • masterdtox
    masterdtox
    ✭✭
    For those ppl that don't want nameplate's in game or even optional to turn it on off. I ask u guys why u even play en MMO? Nah i am 4 real, really because i am a bit shocked that there are still people that don't want such an important basic Feature within an MMO.
    I just can not understand those players at all, maybe i have been playing to much MMO'S and those players to much Single-player RPG' s. But this is an MMO, u know that guys right?