The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO Live: April 16 @ 4PM EDT—Companions Dev Discussion"

ZOS_SarahHecker
ZOS_SarahHecker
✭✭✭✭✭
2k1esjzpbbdr.png
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article "ESO Live: April 16 @ 4PM EDT—Companions Dev Discussion"

Join us on ESO Live for a special developer discussion of the Blackwood Chapter’s upcoming Companion System.
Staff Post
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very interested to see what's possible with these, but one of the things that interests me most is Basti's unavailable hairstyle as seen in this picture.

I know a lot of us on the forums are really hoping that that's going to be available to us at some point ;)

Also can't help but notice he's wearing the Ancestral Breton style, which is also as yet unreleased. Hopefully when it does, the leads won't be as rare as the Ancestral Reach ones...
  • FaceDancer
    FaceDancer
    ✭✭
    I'm wondering how the companions will work on dungeons and trials, hopefully we'll see some on this topic.
    Maybe the companions make my dps useful for random dungeons and pledges, hate false tank/heal but also hate wait Alf and hour in queed
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please make them have a Khajiit friend! What use is a companion without the inate ability to sense a sweetroll at the distance of 500 pawsteps yes?

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is somewhat off-topic, but since we have a senior content designer on the stream, I wonder if you'd be willing to field any other content-related questions.

For instance: The Alliance starter towns and capitals are getting stuffed with prologue characters. Are there any plans to alleviate this?

And also: While it's fun to see returning characters, some of us worry that the (very excellent) story is getting hard for new players to follow. This is especially noticeable with characters who either have a clear beginning or end point, like Darien, Abnur Tharn, Sai Sahan, and Lyris Titanborn. Are there any plans to mitigate this in any way, either through selective rewrites to older content or perhaps through an optional story guide?

A more on-topic question, in case you do actually check this thread for tomorrow's ESO Live: Will companions have commentary on the questlines that already exist in the game, and will they continue to evolve and grow as new content is added to the game?
    Edited by opaj on April 14, 2021 6:44PM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Off topic, but can we expect any info on any balance changes, or a combat preview before the pts comes up?
    This silence has me worried, with less than a week till the pts is up.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    opaj wrote: »
    This is somewhat off-topic, but since we have a senior content designer on the stream, I wonder if you'd be willing to field any other content-related questions.

For instance: The Alliance starter towns and capitals are getting stuffed with prologue characters. Are there any plans to alleviate this?

This. We're already struggling with the pets clogging up common areas, I'd hate to see what they'll be like if these companions are in the way too. If they behave like other collectible pets, we may be ok, if not, then there's a problem. Of course @ZOS_GinaBruno or someone on that team could communicate this point...

We definitely need to be very vocal in hopes that people like @ZOS_GinaBruno acknowledge the existing issues and inform the devs so they don't make a bad problem worse.

Edited by Destai on April 15, 2021 3:21PM
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Karth will be shaved if he is to have a furless bald-bottom in his employ. Please add a khajiit. Or at least an Argonian, who make up for lack of fluff with prodigious tail.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1) Can you please provide a way to instantly unlock companions for testing on PTS, without need to do their quest lines?

2) Also, I'm interested to see if there will be some rework of the way combat pets/companions behave in the game. They really need to stop blocking their owner and other players from interacting with objects...

3) And I wonder if we can equip polymorphs on our companions :)

Ok, so based on this info, we can't use polymorphs on companions... No pre-order from me then :/
    Edited by Fischblut on April 15, 2021 7:56PM
  • JazzyNova
    JazzyNova
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really look forward to this stream tomorrow, what it will entail about the companions & options we have to customize them. I have my fingers crossed that they're getting ready to release short mussed wave soon, especially since it's Bastian's hairstyle & so many people would like this hairstyle for their characters, not to mention several other unreleased styles.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another nicely done stream that shared quite a few new details on the companion system. Well done! :)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nice stream but for once it would be nice if you would show the console Ui and not always PC UI.

Console player's never get to see the ui we will be using. Makes us feel left out and feel like an afterthought.

I never see or hear of anyone directing pets on console. Well maybe never but extremely rare in any case.

Please tell me someone spent time actually testing and using this on a controller and not think oh they can already direct pet's it will be okay.

Thanks again stepping off my soapbox.

PS please fix the green tree.
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the whole idea but my only complaint thus far is NO Helmets? Why not?
  • winniejohnson
    winniejohnson
    ✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    Nice stream but for once it would be nice if you would show the console Ui and not always PC UI.

Console player's never get to see the ui we will be using. Makes us feel left out and feel like an afterthought.

I never see or hear of anyone directing pets on console. Well maybe never but extremely rare in any case.

Please tell me someone spent time actually testing and using this on a controller and not think oh they can already direct pet's it will be okay.

gSoof8VrZtc.jpg?size=1920x1080&quality=96&sign=cb2e0d38f5d081d8c9397935a28d0728&type=album
    here's the console UI from March 31 preview event if that's what you mean by UI. you can also check it out here: https://twitch.tv/videos/970411105?t=00h01m12s
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    heavyvogue wrote: »
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »

gSoof8VrZtc.jpg?size=1920x1080&quality=96&sign=cb2e0d38f5d081d8c9397935a28d0728&type=album
    here's the console UI from March 31 preview event if that's what you mean by UI. you can also check it out here: https://twitch.tv/videos/970411105?t=00h01m12s

Thank you very much!
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really disappointing that you cannot add skins, personalities and Polymorph on companions. Such a wasted opportunity for this feature.
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    Thannazzar wrote: »
    Really disappointing that you cannot add skins, personalities and Polymorph on companions. Such a wasted opportunity for this feature.

I imagine the reason we are not able to add skins or polymorph them is because each has a story/journey they go on and maybe does not fit into the skins or polymorphs out there now. For roleplay purposes though to polymorph one of our own characters played and have one of these as their companion would be an alternative, though I do wonder how Bastian or Mirri might favor being a companion of say a Spriggan or a Werewolf Lord, or even a Companion to a character that is Meridia aligned or some such.

Edited by Eporem on April 18, 2021 4:28PM
  • tim99
    tim99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    y6sm0qyczpgu.png

All my hope and expectations for the companions destroyed with two letters. :D

So they are basically just a little starter-help for players which struggle on overland content, i think?