The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What makes ESO less appealing to twitch viewers?

UGotBenched91
UGotBenched91
✭✭✭✭✭
I've noticed that compared to other MMOs (WOW/ FF14 being the top comparisons), ESO has a low twitch presence in the community. Not a lot of
viewers watching ESO streamers. I'm just curious what it is about ESO that isn't as entertaining to watch compared to other MMOS.
  • Smitch_59
    Smitch_59
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't watch streamers for any game.
    By Azura, by Azura, by Azura!
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because there are not that much entertaining/knowledgeable ones? Or people generally not interested in what they have to offer.
    Edited by colossalvoids on April 14, 2021 4:14PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that people would rather play ESO than watch someone else play it. ESO combat is not that hard to be competent at and the game is not an eSport or as competitive as other games.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Daraklus
    Daraklus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could be a lot of reasons.

-The streamers being boring
    -The game being more fun to play than to watch
    -No real reason to watch people play ESO
    -People just not watching streamers of any game.

Now why would I want to watch someone who has no strong personality play a game with a soulless look in their eyes, when I could be playing the game myself?
  • Sevalaricgirl
    Sevalaricgirl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only person I watch stream is on youtube and he's excellent, should have been in radio. They have to be really good to get my attention.
  • Folkb
    Folkb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually just play than watch while having youtube music on my other monitor. I do like to watch two people who make youtube videos of builds though. One of them streams but like I said I'd rather play myself.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand the appeal of watching streamers.

(thinking about it, I don't watch comedians, talk-show hosts, or listen to radio personalities, either. /shrug But even ignoring the "streamer" part of it, I don't know why you'd want to watch someone play a game.)
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on April 14, 2021 4:33PM
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't mind watching streams, but I prefer to listen to the game rather than commentary, chatter and narration with it. Most like to chat through them so those I don't tend to watch. I like having them on in the background when doing other tasks
    Soupy twist
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, I don't enjoy watching any MMOs being streamed unless it is a new one I'm interested in.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I see it, there are basically 3 reasons to watch someone else streaming their gameplay:

(1) You don't know much about the game and are curious about it, so you want to watch someone else playing it so you can see the gameplay and learn how to play it. In that case, you're probably going to watch streamers who talk about the game, explain what they're doing and why, and are able to give informative answers to their viewers' questions.

(2) You already know how to play the game and enjoy watching other people playing it. When they run into problems or get stuck, you want to give them pointers in chat to help them out because you want them to be able to enjoy the game as much as you do. This can be a very fine line to walk, because a lot of players seem to like going into a game totally blind so they can discover everything about it on their own, and they do not want any backseating or any spoilers, whereas other players will ask their viewers questions about the game and are grateful for any non-spoiler information about basic gameplay.

(3) You have watched a particular streamer before and enjoyed listening to them chat with their viewers. Some streamers will stream their gameplay and basically not talk at all, whereas other streamers have lively personalities and are interesting and fun to listen to. If you enjoy their personality, it doesn't really matter what games they're playing, because you'll gladly watch them play just about anything.

As far as ESO streamers, I enjoy watching certain streamers who I'm familiar with, but not all for the same reasons. When I'm watching the ones I mainly enjoy listening to, I'll often be playing ESO or Arena while I listen to them, like a radio station. But if I'm not playing ESO or Arena myself, I enjoy watching streamers who are playing content that I don't normally play, such as vet dungeons, trials, or PvP. In particular, I enjoy watching experienced PvPers who can go 1vX against 4 or more enemy players and drag the fight out for a long time before the enemy finally gets enough players together to take them down.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the appeal of watching streamers. (...)
    ^ Me.
    I'd rather play than watch someone playing.
    Edited by redlink1979 on April 14, 2021 5:06PM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that compared to other MMOs (WOW/ FF14 being the top comparisons), ESO has a low twitch presence in the community. Not a lot of
    viewers watching ESO streamers. I'm just curious what it is about ESO that isn't as entertaining to watch compared to other MMOS.

Lack of PVP and Hard Endgame content. If you look at the other games you mentioned (and twitch in general) the majority of things which do well are competitive pvp games or games with high end PVE content where there is some form of world first races etc.

Unfortunately for ESO the gameplay is either laggy or uncompetitive in general which dissuades larger streamers from bringing in their audiences. And there is no form of competitive endgame for PVE outside of minor time trial improvements which don't really give any viewability factor.

Additionally the player base is rather small in the competitive scene because the game is focused on story and housing/roleplay focused players currently which further diminishes a regular viewing base outside of 'fans' of the streamers.

@Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO devlopers main focuses on story/lore, PVP is somewhat ignored after Morrowind chapter, BG's were a nice addtion but afterwards nothing new in PVP.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, mostly PvP streams get watched as watching the Vestige save Lyris from Cold Harbor is a little boring. lol
  • Blacknight841
    Blacknight841
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why watch a stream that is 50% loading screens and waiting for items to deposit into a bank?
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lack of action, imo. Most successful ESO streamers play PvP or have a high energy presence that makes them entertaining to watch. I love ESO but I would fall asleep watching someone do *writs on 18 characters for the first 30 minutes or do quests, yuck.
    Edited by Odovacar on April 14, 2021 5:33PM
  • Faded
    Faded
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better to ask what makes ESO less appealing to twitch streamers.

It always comes back to ESO's core problem: performance. Nobody wants to stream logging in and crashing over and over again. Nobody wants to stream PVP where your character suddenly can't function, or raids with half the party crashing out, or whatever the exciting new glitches are this patch.

It's not fun for the streamer or the chat, and there's no money in that.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PvE & overland streams
    Fewer PvP/competitive streams lately
    ZOS favoritism towards streams that don't criticize performance and combat balance.
    Performance
    Anime ears, kiddie face paint, & hair dye?

Edited by Wolfpaw on April 14, 2021 7:37PM
  • Uvi_AUT
    Uvi_AUT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe because ESOs age-recommendation is 16+? Thats 8 years older than your average Twitch-Viewer.
    Edited by Uvi_AUT on April 14, 2021 7:02PM
    Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
  • stevenyaub16_ESO
    stevenyaub16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watch some streams now and again (not eso). And as some have pointed a lot has to do with the personality, that's why some of the most popular ones retain their viewership whilst switching between games (also known as variety streamers).

MMOs in general are not very popular with viewership. I wouldn't even say final fantasy is popular either. WoW on the other hand has along history and end-game was a big thing for a significant portion of the community both pvp and pve (I'd imagine a lot of viewer base are ex-wow players too) the biggest streamers had along time to cultivate their fanbase.

A big draw of streamed content is having having a different experience with each stream, which is why pvp content is highly popular (each match can be different). ESO doesn't really provide that kind of content, either it's story content, daily PvE routine and noob stomping in PvP (due to the skill disparity). There's just a big lack of tension/excitment across the board.
  • rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uvi_AUT wrote: »
    Maybe because ESOs age-recommendation is 16+? Thats 8 years older than your average Twitch-Viewer.

Yet kids play this game. That doesn't mean anything.
  • rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfpaw wrote: »
    PvE & overland streams
    ZOS favoritism towards streams that don't criticize performance and combat balance.
    Performance

This.

Who wants to watch a random person with cat ears questing and basically doing nothing but struggling to kill few mobs?

PvP could be highly entertaining but with the continuous performance issues it is unwatchable.

PvE trifectas are done on PTS already so no content for the actual chapter/dlc.

Absolutely zero competitive atmosphere around the game as it's less of a mmo than a single-player roleplaying game.

Random tier 2 CS:GO game can pull hundreds of thousands of viewers, ESO Blackwood reveal had 70k.

Zero marketing in Asia which have the biggest market and highest watched streamers.

There's countless of reasons.

Housing streams seem to do okay as people are interested in that but nothing like the numbers on other games.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no point in watching other play an video game I can play myself.
    I watch build and dungeon guides.
    Comments on updates is also nice.
    However just playing an game, why unless you clown a lot.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Spreadicus
    Spreadicus
    Soul Shriven
    Can't be as bad as Age of Conan, nobody Streams there anymore since I left har har!

Some games just have a bigger audience on twitch. Fortnite for example. Wow is still going strong with some of the top streamers playing it like Asmongold. I can't wrap my head around his success, but good for him. He must be doing something right.

It does help to be interesting but if you're one of hundreds or thousands of people streaming the same game, You have that much more competition. You have to stand out from the crowd. I don't want to say it helps if you're an attractive female but it does. Lots of guys watch girl streamers play because they get off watching girl gamers play. It's the truth. Hell, even I do when I'm REALLY bored... What?

If you're struggling to get viewers, you can also explore simulcasting. I stream to Twitch and Youtube live via a simulcast system known as restream (google it), so this helps broaden my audience. I get more viewers these days on Youtube live than twitch, but it's good to have both running simultaneously.

I was the biggest (mostly only) Age of Conan (a 13 year old mmo) streamer until recently because only a few other people ever streamed it and they were/are boring as f%$k. So, I had the advantage of having no streaming competition in that particular game, and people loved seeing someone streaming one of their old favorite mmos. Plus I'm told I can be mildly entertaining at times...

Now ,since AoC is dead in the water, I'm moving into ESO territory, and just like Wow, it's a tough audience to break into, but The only way to go is up!

• Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    rrimöykk wrote: »
    Wolfpaw wrote: »
    PvE & overland streams
    Performance

This.

Who wants to watch a random person with cat ears questing and basically doing nothing but struggling to kill few mobs?

PvP could be highly entertaining but with the continuous performance issues it is unwatchable.

PvE trifectas are done on PTS already so no content for the actual chapter/dlc.

Absolutely zero competitive atmosphere around the game as it's less of a mmo than a single-player roleplaying game.

Random tier 2 CS:GO game can pull hundreds of thousands of viewers, ESO Blackwood reveal had 70k.

Zero marketing in Asia which have the biggest market and highest watched streamers.

There's countless of reasons.

Housing streams seem to do okay as people are interested in that but nothing like the numbers on other games.

Nailed it.

I can learn a lot from competitive streams, players with more time in-game and a higher skill level.

Edited by Wolfpaw on April 14, 2021 7:44PM
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lack of PVP and Hard Endgame content. If you look at the other games you mentioned (and twitch in general) the majority of things which do well are competitive pvp games or games with high end PVE content where there is some form of world first races etc.

Unfortunately for ESO the gameplay is either laggy or uncompetitive in general which dissuades larger streamers from bringing in their audiences. And there is no form of competitive endgame for PVE outside of minor time trial improvements which don't really give any viewability factor.

Additionally the player base is rather small in the competitive scene because the game is focused on story and housing/roleplay focused players currently which further diminishes a regular viewing base outside of 'fans' of the streamers.

I think it might be the reverse.

A lot of ESO streamers focus on more casual content. And the ESO endgame community is too elitist and perfectionist to care much about that, or they might be really tempted to "backseat gaming".

There's also just something about TES in general that makes it a very personal experience. It's a franchise defined by immersion, and the ability to create your own stories. Yes, some people like watching playthroughs of Skyrim or Morrowind, but most people would prefer to play the games themselves, and discover the quests, environments, and stories on their own.
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watch streamers while working. I stream to my TV so playing at the same time isn't an option. And it lets me see things I can't do on my own. I'd never have tried a dungeon if I hadn't watched people do them. I'll almost definitely never do a trial so it's nice to see some and its nice to hear people talk about a game I generally like (still salty about green tree so only doing minimum currently).
    Edited by Mik195 on April 14, 2021 11:02PM
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing maybe high end gameplay in ESO is not that visually appealing. Some of the comments I've seen on other general MMO boards are that the combat in ESO is terrible, including the way animation cancelling looks.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rrimöykk wrote: »

Hmm. This whole "competitive" thing is another bit I just don't get. Who cares that Elitist Ego Guild got "world first" in Raid XYZ?

Personally, I always thought that ESO put too much emphasis on "competitive" with those stupid PvE Leaderboards.