The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Those new 'Furnishing Folios' are a really bad idea

NeoGriz
NeoGriz
✭✭✭
So I've been grinding Master Writs to get access to the furnishing plans sold by Faustina Curio.
I saved up ~600 Writ Vouchers so I could get some of the furnishing plans costing 100 Writ Vouchers each.

Now with Update 29, all of those furnishing plans have been packed together in different 'Folios', costing 600 - 1100 Writ Vouchers per Folio.
This is just stupid and what makes it even worse, is that I can't see in-game what furnishing plans are contained in a Folio.
Instead of getting the furnishing plans I want, I have to spend loads of Writ Vouchers on Folios that contain furnishing plans I don't even want.

I really hope this gets reverted in some way or form, or have the ability back to just buy them separately.

3ffk9u86s3oh.png

Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 5, 2023 6:22PM
A pinch of this ... a dash of that ... give it a shake-
- Jester King Emeric
  • Ominor
    Ominor
    Soul Shriven
    Agreed. No telling what's in those folios. I also thought I read somewhere that the individual furnishings would still be available. I can't find those either. Hopefully, a future patch will correct this, Until then - no folio purchases.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, I really hate them!
    I do not want to invest 600, 700 or even 1100 writ vouchers for a folio of which I only want 1, 2 or 3 furnishing plans (because I already have half of them). And I can not even sell the others when I'm not in a guild.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep the folios are dead end for those of us that are casual about doing crafting writs. The older method allowed me to find furnishing I had a use for and work towards buying the plan in a reasonable time frame. The new way increases the time required to get a plan and worse sticks me with a bunch of stuff I will never use. I don't understand the need to change something that wasn't broken. If it was an attempt to shorten the lists, although there are better ways, I don't see why they couldn't have gone to collapsible headings like we have in the provisioning menu.
    Edited by Alinhbo_Tyaka on March 12, 2021 7:55PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m grateful to those on PTS who alerted us to this impending change! I bought and completed extra writs to get the furnishing patterns I wanted most before this latest patch.

At the very least there needs to be a way to preview the contents of each pack in-game!
  • Daishichi
    Daishichi
    ✭✭✭
    I’m grateful to those on PTS who alerted us to this impending change! I bought and completed extra writs to get the furnishing patterns I wanted most before this latest patch.

At the very least there needs to be a way to preview the contents of each pack in-game!

1000%, I just got a heads up about this yesterday and quickly bought some writs to earn and learn the last few items I actually want. And that was just because, near as I can tell, you'd have to buy a given folio even if you just want one item, which is dumb as hell, and even if you already know all but one item, which is even dumber. Now you gotta save up for more than a target dummy costs if you want an effing turtle trinket?

This thread is the first I'm seeing that you can't even tell what's in the folio! The groupings don't even make any sense: the "Crafter's" highlighted here contains "all 11"...there were more than that, and some are obviously included in the other folios. There are currently more than 10 items described as Elsweyr (I guess some are in Dragonhold folio?), maybe 2 styled as Dark Elf / Dres...what's in "Ebonheart"? Where's Alinor (at least 5 items)?

Or, as said more simply above:
    I don't understand the need to change something that wasn't broken.

Gamertag: SpideyGuy73
    Xbox One NA
    Grand Master Crafter
  • Faded
    Faded
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The contents of the folios are listed in the patch notes. :|
  • KaGaOri
    KaGaOri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Faded wrote: »

That's all well and good, but the logical thing would be to allow players preview what's part of each folio in-game, not have them go to the internet and google it.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah glad that PTS folks warned us here so I grinded last ones before patch dropped, but it still pretty bad for newer players
  • Daishichi
    Daishichi
    ✭✭✭

Thanks, sort of...here's an actually helpful link and list.

Which confirms that there's little rhyme or reason to the groupings. The Clothier's Form is a dwarven item, should be in Morrowind if anywhere...they could have put the Dark Elf Tent in there instead, but no, that's in Ebonheart...universal items in Crafter's except the Alchemical Apparatus, you'll need to learn Dark Elf for that. This is just seriously stupid, what drunken intern came up with this?

Crafter's Furnishing Folio

Diagram: Apparatus, Boiler
    Formula: Case of Vials
    Diagram: Apparatus, Gem Calipers
    Blueprint: Podium, Skinning
    Blueprint: Tools, Case
    Formula: Bottle, Poison Elixir
    Design: Mortar and Pestle
    Blueprint: Cabinet, Poisonmaker's
    Praxis: Orcish Table with Fur
    Pattern: Orcish Tapestry, Spear
    Design: Orcish Skull Goblet, Full

Morrowind Furnishing Folio

Formula: Mages Apparatus, Master
    Diagram: Dwarven Gyroscope, Masterwork
    Pattern: Dres Sewing Kit, Master's
    Praxis: Hlaalu Bath Tub, Masterwork
    Design: Mammoth Cheese, Mastercrafted
    Blueprint: Telvanni Candelabra, Masterwork

Dark Elf Furnishing Folio

Formula: Alchemical Apparatus, Master
    Diagram: Hlaalu Gong
    Pattern: Clothier's Form, Brass
    Praxis: Hlaalu Trinket Box, Curious Turtle
    Design: Miniature Garden, Bottled
    Blueprint: Hlaalu Gaming Table, "Foxes & Felines"

Summerset Furnishing Folio

Sketch: Alinor Ancestor Clock, Celestial
    Sketch: Figurine, The Dragon's Glare
    Diagram: Relic Vault, Impenetrable
    Pattern: Alinor Bed, Levitating
    Blueprint: Alinor Bookshelf, Grand Full
    Praxis: Alinor Gaming Table, Punctilious Conflict
    Formula: Artist's Palette, Pigment
    Design: Alinor Grape Stomping Tub

Ebonheart Furnishing Folio

Sketch: Silver Kettle, Masterworked
    Blueprint: Frog-Caller, Untuned
    Design: Pottery Wheel, Ever-Turning
    Formula: Alchemical Apparatus, Condenser
    Praxis: Hlaalu Salt Lamp, Enchanted
    Pattern: Dark Elf Tent, Canopy
    Diagram: Hlaalu Stove, Chiminea

Elsweyr Furnishing Folio

Diagram: Elsweyr Gate, Masterwork
    Pattern: Elsweyr Chaise Lounge, Upholstered
    Blueprint: Elsweyr Cart, Masterwork
    Praxis: Elsweyr Statue, Shrine Lion
    Formula: Elsweyr Incense, Fragrant
    Design: Provisioning Station, Elsweyr Grill
    Sketch: Elsweyr Cage, Filigree
    Gamertag: SpideyGuy73
    Xbox One NA
    Grand Master Crafter
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When we can't get rid of these folios, because otherwise there will be too many offers in the list, then it would at least be good if you had the option to choose certain things. A complete folio with Alinor furnishing plans e.g. costs the full price and accordingly less if you only select 3 plans from it. That should not be too difficult to implement.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    When we can't get rid of these folios, because otherwise there will be too many offers in the list, then it would at least be good if you had the option to choose certain things. A complete folio with Alinor furnishing plans e.g. costs the full price and accordingly less if you only select 3 plans from it. That should not be too difficult to implement.

Folios are not the best way to handle too many entries in the list. Pull down headers such as they use for the Provisioning menu would be a much better solution. Another would be to add headers such as we have for our inventory. Both allow for control of the list length and would allow easy navigation to what you are looking for.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Folios are good idea, but with lazy implementation - there should be option to open every folio, not only to preview recipes but also with possibility to buy single recipes.
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also got a heads up but didn't have enough time available to grind or purchase writs from traders. As far as I'm concerned the ones I don't have that are buried in folios are now lost causes. I'll buy what comes out in the future instead of trying to save for folios. All we can do now is complain, and continue to complain. Maybe ZOS won't reverse their decision, but the result is that we will drive it home to them how much we hate it.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep the folios are dead end for those of us that are casual about doing crafting writs. The older method allowed me to find furnishing I had a use for and work towards buying the plan in a reasonable time frame. The new way increases the time required to get a plan and worse sticks me with a bunch of stuff I will never use. I don't understand the need to change something that wasn't broken. If it was an attempt to shorten the lists, although there are better ways, I don't see why they couldn't have gone to collapsible headings like we have in the provisioning menu.

I believe that there is a limit to the number of items that a vendor can stock, which is why Rolis needed an assistant in the first place...
    Edited by code65536 on March 16, 2021 1:49PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

I believe that there is a limit to the number of items that a vendor can stock, which is why Rolis needed an assistant in the first place...

As I said in another thread, that’s why instead of folios, he needed a second assistant — and a pillow! ;)

That would have been ideal, but if folios are the way going forward, then their contents need to be preview-able in game, not look it up in patch notes, Google, etc.
    Daishichi wrote: »

Which confirms that there's little rhyme or reason to the groupings. The Clothier's Form is a dwarven item, should be in Morrowind if anywhere...they could have put the Dark Elf Tent in there instead, but no, that's in Ebonheart...universal items in Crafter's except the Alchemical Apparatus, you'll need to learn Dark Elf for that. This is just seriously stupid, what drunken intern came up with this?

I’m sure it’s by release, rather than what would be most logical if one was creating the categories now, and that does make sense for going forward, since new folios can only be organized that way going forward.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on March 16, 2021 4:46PM
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not have a writ furnishing vendor in the appropriate zone? E.g. a writ vendor who sells only Summerset plans in Alinor. That would reduce the lengthy list problem, and perhaps allow them to sell more non-legendary patterns.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Imryll wrote: »
    Why not have a writ furnishing vendor in the appropriate zone? E.g. a writ vendor who sells only Summerset plans in Alinor. That would reduce the lengthy list problem, and perhaps allow them to sell more non-legendary patterns.

On the one hand a good idea, but on the other hand it also means that you have to travel around a lot, but above all that you don't have a real overview. So maybe I'll be in Alinor and I'm not sure whether I really want to spend my writ vouchers on something in particular, if I can't compare whether there is perhaps something else that I would rather have.
    But of course you have at the moment also no real comparison, if you can not see what is in these folios. Hopefully this will be changed.
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am extremely grateful I spent the writs to complete my collection before this change happened.

I understand that the list is getting long, but this was an awful decision for those who only want a single pattern.
    I hope it gets either reverted, or back to a place where individual patterns can be bought again somehow.
    Hireling Wanted! - An Elder Scrolls Tale https://hirelingwanted.com
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Um...where do I find old patch notes?
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Alegna
    Alegna
    ✭✭✭
    Daishichi wrote: »

Crafter's Furnishing Folio

Diagram: Apparatus, Boiler
    Formula: Case of Vials
    Diagram: Apparatus, Gem Calipers
    Blueprint: Podium, Skinning
    Blueprint: Tools, Case
    Formula: Bottle, Poison Elixir
    Design: Mortar and Pestle
    Blueprint: Cabinet, Poisonmaker's
    Praxis: Orcish Table with Fur
    Pattern: Orcish Tapestry, Spear
    Design: Orcish Skull Goblet, Full

Morrowind Furnishing Folio

Formula: Mages Apparatus, Master
    Diagram: Dwarven Gyroscope, Masterwork
    Pattern: Dres Sewing Kit, Master's
    Praxis: Hlaalu Bath Tub, Masterwork
    Design: Mammoth Cheese, Mastercrafted
    Blueprint: Telvanni Candelabra, Masterwork

Dark Elf Furnishing Folio

Formula: Alchemical Apparatus, Master
    Diagram: Hlaalu Gong
    Pattern: Clothier's Form, Brass
    Praxis: Hlaalu Trinket Box, Curious Turtle
    Design: Miniature Garden, Bottled
    Blueprint: Hlaalu Gaming Table, "Foxes & Felines"

Summerset Furnishing Folio

Sketch: Alinor Ancestor Clock, Celestial
    Sketch: Figurine, The Dragon's Glare
    Diagram: Relic Vault, Impenetrable
    Pattern: Alinor Bed, Levitating
    Blueprint: Alinor Bookshelf, Grand Full
    Praxis: Alinor Gaming Table, Punctilious Conflict
    Formula: Artist's Palette, Pigment
    Design: Alinor Grape Stomping Tub

Ebonheart Furnishing Folio

Sketch: Silver Kettle, Masterworked
    Blueprint: Frog-Caller, Untuned
    Design: Pottery Wheel, Ever-Turning
    Formula: Alchemical Apparatus, Condenser
    Praxis: Hlaalu Salt Lamp, Enchanted
    Pattern: Dark Elf Tent, Canopy
    Diagram: Hlaalu Stove, Chiminea

Elsweyr Furnishing Folio

Diagram: Elsweyr Gate, Masterwork
    Pattern: Elsweyr Chaise Lounge, Upholstered
    Blueprint: Elsweyr Cart, Masterwork
    Praxis: Elsweyr Statue, Shrine Lion
    Formula: Elsweyr Incense, Fragrant
    Design: Provisioning Station, Elsweyr Grill
    Sketch: Elsweyr Cage, Filigree

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I have a lot of furnishing recipes and wasn't sure what was going to be in them and can't find which patch notes they were in. And what happened, which is what I expected, is I pretty much have them all. Thanks again you saved me a lot of writ vouchers.
  • maximusrex45
    maximusrex45
    ✭✭✭✭
    NeoGriz wrote: »
    So I've been grinding Master Writs to get access to the furnishing plans sold by Faustina Curio.
    I saved up ~600 Writ Vouchers so I could get some of the furnishing plans costing 100 Writ Vouchers each.

Now with Update 29, all of those furnishing plans have been packed together in different 'Folios', costing 600 - 1100 Writ Vouchers per Folio.
    This is just stupid and what makes it even worse, is that I can't see in-game what furnishing plans are contained in a Folio.
    Instead of getting the furnishing plans I want, I have to spend loads of Writ Vouchers on Folios that contain furnishing plans I don't even want.

I really hope this gets reverted in some way or form, or have the ability back to just buy them separately.

I couldn't agree more. I want to collect a bunch of the games, but they are spread across many of these Folios, requiring me to pay a lot of writs for stuff I just don't care about that much right now. If they were worried about too many listings on the NPCs, they should have added a third vendor.

• alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    Imryll wrote: »

On the one hand a good idea, but on the other hand it also means that you have to travel around a lot, but above all that you don't have a real overview. So maybe I'll be in Alinor and I'm not sure whether I really want to spend my writ vouchers on something in particular, if I can't compare whether there is perhaps something else that I would rather have.
    But of course you have at the moment also no real comparison, if you can not see what is in these folios. Hopefully this will be changed.

Well same as for buying local plants and furnitures today, so not that different really. :-)
  • CoronHR
    CoronHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the folios are an awful idea. awful

at the very least they should only contain what you don't have and the writ price should adjust according to what you don't have
    PC - EU - Steam client
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have closed this topic as it was originally created in March 2021. In many cases, it's better to create a new thread on a topic that you want to discuss as opposed to bumping one that is rather old.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.