The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

So ESO officially a single player MMO?

• Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/elder-scrolls-online-gates-of-oblivion-is-a-lot-more-than-an-mmo-tes4/
    "I think we've learned a lot over the years. And one of the main, recurring themes that we've heard from players, especially our more hardcore Elder Scrolls people, is people are scary. And there's some content that they aren't necessarily comfortable within a large group, but they would do with a couple of close, trusted friends. And so the beauty of this system and one of my hopes is, you know, you and a buddy could go and do four-player dungeons because you have two companions to help you out."

Another benefit to the upcoming Companion system, Lambert hopes, is that it'll give folks the confidence to take on tougher dungeons, thereby getting the chance to mingle and engage more with the ESO community.

"It will help players, A) develop stronger social ties in-game with their companions, but also, B) help them kind-of edge a little bit more into some of the group content and meeting other players potentially, which is really exciting to me, because that's where the magic of MMO happens, you know, meeting other people and talking with them and developing those really close social ties."
  • JoseDelgadoCub17_ESO
    JoseDelgadoCub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Veteran dungeons were there on launch.. also VR zones at launch were so difficult you needed to group for Craglorn and Cadwell's gold/ silver or you would take forever doing simple quest.. I remember being killed by VR mudcrabs

It sounds like you're saying that Craglorn ("VR zones") was there at launch, but I think it was added after launch:

2014 April 2 -- Version 1.0.1 [source: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Patch/1.0.1]
    2014 April 4 -- The Elder Scrolls Online PC/Mac release date [source: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Online]
    2014 May 22 -- Version 1.1.2, or "Update 1" -- Craglorn added [source: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Patch/1.1.2]
    Adventure Zones were a type of Veteran-only content area in which all the gameplay was geared towards groups of four high level players. [...]
    The only Adventure Zone to see release was Craglorn, which was added in Update 1 and expanded in Update 4. However, the Adventure Zone model was scrapped in Update 12 in order to make Craglorn more accessible.

source: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Adventure_Zones

All this typing doesn't really refute anything I said.

Craglorn was eso big update after launch, it was designed for 4 Vr10 players but the amount of VR10 players were minuscule... if you could just go to the zone at VR2 and it ended you up at VR10 it would have been better... but there's was no reason to go there at VR10 because there was no CP to grind.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    All modern western MMOs are predominantly single player. That's what the market wants. The vast majority of us spend 95% of our MMO time in solo experiences like questing/exploration, and like optional group content for the other 5% like dungeons, trials, and PVP.

You can't get to certain ilevel or light level in destiny or WoW without other players so idk where you got this illusion that the west prefers single player content

You mention Craglorn but ignore craglorn want a bad zone but the timing was bad... it was for only veteran 10 players which was an absolutely minuscule amount of people by the time of its release.

Unless they changed something, you can certainly get to max level in WoW as a solo player.. ilvl is not something you need, if you don't want to.. so yes, it could be a sign that most people prefer a single player experience

ilevel is something you need because you can't solo layers in Torghast(maelstrom arena) without certain ilevels.
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    Youyouz06 wrote: »
    Are you saying that there wasn't already single player content in the game?

Having solo content=/= being a solo focused game

It's not a solo focused game, though.

It's more 'solo play' than it was when it first came out. *Context*

On the contrary. When the game first came out, there were no trials and no veteran dungeons. Those came after launch.

What you had was zone after zone of quests. They did focus more on groups when they added vet dungeons, trials and pledges. Along with the DLC zone world bosses that packed a punch.

Veteran dungeons were there on launch.. also VR zones at launch were so difficult you needed to group for Craglorn and Cadwell's gold/ silver or you would take forever doing simple quest.. I remember being killed by VR mudcrabs

as someone who actualy plays WoW on and off - you do not need current max ilevel to solo Torgast (which is NOT Maelstrom anyways, as 1 - you can do it in a group, 2. you only need early layers to get your legendaries. 3. if you mean twisted corridors - only reason to do them is maw mount, which is... nice I guess, but maw is annoying with or without it, it doesn't help make it less annoying THAT much). you can get to almost 190 (last I checked) entirely solo, by upgrading your covenant campaign gear (campaign is solo) as well as doing certain weekly callings.

also... something to concider... maybe, just maybe - companions are not here because of SWTOR (or any other bioware game), but rather because there ARE companions in other Elder scrolls titles? just a thought.

in any case - people who want to group, will continue to group. people who didn't group before, will STILL not group, but at least will have more options for more content.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • JoseDelgadoCub17_ESO
    JoseDelgadoCub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    All modern western MMOs are predominantly single player. That's what the market wants. The vast majority of us spend 95% of our MMO time in solo experiences like questing/exploration, and like optional group content for the other 5% like dungeons, trials, and PVP.

You can't get to certain ilevel or light level in destiny or WoW without other players so idk where you got this illusion that the west prefers single player content

You mention Craglorn but ignore craglorn want a bad zone but the timing was bad... it was for only veteran 10 players which was an absolutely minuscule amount of people by the time of its release.

Unless they changed something, you can certainly get to max level in WoW as a solo player.. ilvl is not something you need, if you don't want to.. so yes, it could be a sign that most people prefer a single player experience

ilevel is something you need because you can't solo layers in Torghast(maelstrom arena) without certain ilevels.

On the contrary. When the game first came out, there were no trials and no veteran dungeons. Those came after launch.

What you had was zone after zone of quests. They did focus more on groups when they added vet dungeons, trials and pledges. Along with the DLC zone world bosses that packed a punch.

as someone who actualy plays WoW on and off - you do not need current max ilevel to solo Torgast

So you can do Twisted corridors on a 190 ilevel toon... you know a challenge mode specifically designed for max ilevel...
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    in any case - people who want to group, will continue to group. people who didn't group before, will STILL not group, but at least will have more options for more content.

Perhaps those lovers of group content could take a leaf from the advice they love to dish out to players who want to experience dungeon stories: go find a guild that shares your playstyle, in this case playing without companions. ;)

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Eso used to be a learning curve with difficulties, period.

And cars used to have an unsynchronized transmission with gear change by hand - times change, and ESO isn't like that anymore for a very long time - just get over it, it is since a couple of years mainly made for casual solo players. Before it was as well not focused on group content - most of Tamriel is solo RPG content - it's difficulty scaled to single player by a reason.

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as all NPC companions looking like 'yours', that may not be the case. Right now if I go questing with Abnur Tharn or Verandis, other players don't see Abnur or Verandis - all they see is a generic tagalong. With the introduction of companions, I would not be surprised if other players simply see a generic 'companion' tagging along with another player. That sounds reasonable, the framework for it is already in place and I think it would be a nice way to go.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

as someone who actualy plays WoW on and off - you do not need current max ilevel to solo Torgast

So you can do Twisted corridors on a 190 ilevel toon... you know a challenge mode specifically designed for max ilevel...

1. it is optional (and when I say optional, i mean it - its non repeatable content and it ONLY gives you cosmetic rewards, it very specifically does NOT drop any soul ash, which is needed for legendaries, etc). 2. anything higher only comes from raids that most WoW population does NOT do. 3. I'm not sure as i haven't tried twisted corridors yet, I don't like Torgast as a concept enough (I played way WAY too much Diablo 3 at one point and between that and Division 2 's Summit, I'm very VERY tired of endless near identical grind fest corridors with occasional boss) - but i wouldn't be surprised if it was possible, and 4. and this is important. WoW has vertical progression. so max ilevel gear you can get solo right now is going to go up with each patch. so even if Twisted corridors cannot be done right now, unless you do mythic raids - it sure will be doable, once further content tiers are added.

its specifically designed as end game activity - for now. it is NOT designed to only ever be doable at max ilvl.

I mean... wow is the game that deliberately makes previos expansion raid tiers SOLOABLE. and I don't just mean you outlevel them, Blizzard also NERFS them, so that you could solo farm raids for whatever story you may have missed as well as mounts, minipets and transmog.

please do NOT bring up WoW as your example of "they want you to group more" unless you are ok with ZoS also making all but the most recent trials - solo farmable. thanks
    Edited by Linaleah on January 27, 2021 6:57PM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps those lovers of group content could take a leaf from the advice they love to dish out to players who want to experience dungeon stories: go find a guild that shares your playstyle, in this case playing without companions. ;)

right? you do not have to use companions if you don't want to! you can even still level them for story, but not use them in group content or overworld.
    dirty worthless casual.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shootsfoot wrote: »
    They sound optional to me, so...don't do it?

A system that will significantly make solo content easier is "optional"

Highly doubt that [snip]

[edited for baiting]

....yes. It's still optional. You only make it mandatory only based on the idea it makes gameplay easier. In the end you still have to decide to acquire and use the companion or not. Thus. Optional.

Besides there's another Trial coming for end game groups, but that was left out of the OP?
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because ESO isn't mmo, it's mo. They dropped the multiplayer out years ago. Nothing for end game players, all for casuals.
  • devaneiosonho
    devaneiosonho
    ✭✭✭
    rrimöykk wrote: »
    Because ESO isn't mmo, it's mo. They dropped the multiplayer out years ago. Nothing for end game players, all for casuals.

Please, tell me: when was this game NOT casual? Can you answer this simple question? Or do you think dying in the open world from time to time is somehow hardcore? The old Everquest was a hardcore game, but since Warcraft, almost every mmorpg out there has been following the same formula. Do you know what happened to Wildstar when they tried to appeal to a hardcore fanbase? It closed. The game was considered a failure as soon as it came, because the so called "hardcore" players doesn't really give a *** about hardcore content. They like to go to casual games and lament how the casuals are ruining everything, DESPITE playing a CASUAL GAME. ESO IS A CASUAL GAME.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »

And cars used to have an unsynchronized transmission with gear change by hand - times change, and ESO isn't like that anymore for a very long time - just get over it, it is since a couple of years mainly made for casual solo players. Before it was as well not focused on group content - most of Tamriel is solo RPG content - it's difficulty scaled to single player by a reason.

A lot of car/game comparisons ^^

One is for transport - one is for enjoyment. Eso ain't a Ferrari at the moment.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it's fine for me and I guess most players, as the community is still growing. And cars are not just for transport either, especially not a Ferrari (if it isn't a tractor, that is :smile: ). It is a car predominantly made for enjoyment.
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Massive Single Player Role Playing Online Game
    Awake, but at what cost
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like you're saying that Craglorn ("VR zones") was there at launch, but I think it was added after launch:

2014 April 2 -- Version 1.0.1 [source: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Patch/1.0.1]
    2014 April 4 -- The Elder Scrolls Online PC/Mac release date [source: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Online]
    2014 May 22 -- Version 1.1.2, or "Update 1" -- Craglorn added [source: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Patch/1.1.2]
    Adventure Zones were a type of Veteran-only content area in which all the gameplay was geared towards groups of four high level players. [...]
    The only Adventure Zone to see release was Craglorn, which was added in Update 1 and expanded in Update 4. However, the Adventure Zone model was scrapped in Update 12 in order to make Craglorn more accessible.

source: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Adventure_Zones

All this typing doesn't really refute anything I said.

Craglorn was eso big update after launch, it was designed for 4 Vr10 players but the amount of VR10 players were minuscule... if you could just go to the zone at VR2 and it ended you up at VR10 it would have been better... but there's was no reason to go there at VR10 because there was no CP to grind.

I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just saying you implied Craglorn was included in the game at launch, which according to UESP is not true. I wasn't playing ESO back then, so I don't know firsthand; but I trust them to have the correct information.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it's fine for me and I guess most players, as the community is still growing. And cars are not just for transport either, especially not a Ferrari (if it isn't a tractor, that is :smile: ). It is a car predominantly made for enjoyment.

You didn't get my punchline :(

I'm happy that it's growing. I'm still around, but mixed thoughts.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

See, at some point one just has to acknowledge the facts - pvp isn't going to get better, any improvement ZOS could possibly make will be outdone by more players returning to play pvp - and the result of it will be, it might even feel worse for some time until enough will have left again, and then it will feel pretty much the same as currently - so this isn't going to change and ZOS knows that as well. So their main focus will be on anything else but pvp, because there they can still improve, whereas pvp is a lost cause - so their focus will most likely be new stuff for casual players and PvE group content and a new CP system for end game players to keep them busy grinding.

So yeah, it isn't a Ferrari for players like you - but it is for someone like me.
    Edited by Lysette on January 27, 2021 7:39PM
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »

For those who don't usually bother with videos (I certainly don't) this is worth a watch if you have any interest in either game development or understanding player demography. To summarize some of the salient points:

MMOs have shifted to accommodating single-player modalities
    What this basically means is that modern MMOs are already single player games by design. As the speaker put it towards the closing of the video "alone is the default state." Engaging in group point is the unique selling point of an MMO and there are various barriers and obstacles to getting players to engage in group play. Some of this is reflected in the speaker's summary of "ten types of loners" which I'll paraphrase shortly. In essence, folks play MMOs alone for many, many reasons:
    • Newbies. Many players first jump into a game alone. While some may desire to engage in social circles, they might feel they want to get a handle on the game before engaging with others. Or, they may find it difficult to be invited to established and often cliquish groups that already exist in the social space of the game.
    • Lurkers. Some folks just like to people watch, not engage with other people directly. As the speaker puts it, they view other players as content to absorb. This was compared to the phenomena of forum lurkers; lots of folks may read a forum but huge numbers don't actively participate in that social space.
    • Griefers. Any MMO developer wants to root these people out of their spaces, but nonetheless they exist. Some are not interested in groups because they are interested in ruining other players days. They don't care about the social conventions of the space and Mehrunes Dagon at them.
    • Constrained. Often, group play in MMOs requires a significant time commitment. Not everyone has the luxury of granting a video game that amount of time or devotion, but they are still interested in other parts of the game. So they play alone.
    • Introverts. Supposedly, the gamer demographic tilts introverted a bit more than the general population. These folks are content just doing things on their own, and while they may engage in social spaces (in fact, this can be easier for introverts in online environments) it isn't something they prefer to do in the game.
    • Breakups. At times, a player plays alone because the social circles they did have exploded. A guild became defunct, a friend they used to play with quit, and they haven't found new social circles to replace the old ones yet.
    • Unworthy. An unfortunate result of the "gg, scrub" attitude is that expectations placed on players in groups is high. This makes some players uncomfortable trying group content because they are concerned about failing. The speaker cites tanks in particular as facing especially high barriers here, as raids with a tank wipe waste lots of people's time.
    • Vacationers. Some play games just to get away. They want to play alone right now, even if they are in a guild, because they just want a break from obligations and responsibilities.
    • Commitment/Drama-Phobe. Perhaps the first time someone joined a social guild, it was full of a bunch of toxic drama. Some have tried to step into the social scene but were faced with such a bad experience. Or they tried a raid and it took forever and also left a bad experience. They just don't want to commit to social anything.
    • Loners. Some just prefer playing the game alone. They prefer the solo experience. They aren't interested in the group content at all, for whatever reason. They game can be played that way, so they play it that way. And ESO can certainly be played like a single-player RPG.
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    I think MMORPG's in general are moving toward being solo friendly with optional group activities because it attracts a lot more players. There's a fan base for content that requires communication and coordination but it's growing smaller, not larger, and companies have noticed. ESO was among the first to capitalize on the trend (I think) but others are implementing systems to allow for solo completion of a lot of content formerly only accessible to groups. In the future, multiplayer will probably refer mainly social aspects rather than a necessary method of gameplay.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Iccotak wrote: »

For those who don't usually bother with videos (I certainly don't) this is worth a watch if you have any interest in either game development or understanding player demography. To summarize some of the salient points:

What this basically means is that modern MMOs are already single player games by design. As the speaker put it towards the closing of the video "alone is the default state." Engaging in group point is the unique selling point of an MMO and there are various barriers and obstacles to getting players to engage in group play. Some of this is reflected in the speaker's summary of "ten types of loners" which I'll paraphrase shortly. In essence, folks play MMOs alone for many, many reasons:
    • Newbies. Many players first jump into a game alone. While some may desire to engage in social circles, they might feel they want to get a handle on the game before engaging with others. Or, they may find it difficult to be invited to established and often cliquish groups that already exist in the social space of the game.
    • Lurkers. Some folks just like to people watch, not engage with other people directly. As the speaker puts it, they view other players as content to absorb. This was compared to the phenomena of forum lurkers; lots of folks may read a forum but huge numbers don't actively participate in that social space.
    • Griefers. Any MMO developer wants to root these people out of their spaces, but nonetheless they exist. Some are not interested in groups because they are interested in ruining other players days. They don't care about the social conventions of the space and Mehrunes Dagon at them.
    • Constrained. Often, group play in MMOs requires a significant time commitment. Not everyone has the luxury of granting a video game that amount of time or devotion, but they are still interested in other parts of the game. So they play alone.
    • Introverts. Supposedly, the gamer demographic tilts introverted a bit more than the general population. These folks are content just doing things on their own, and while they may engage in social spaces (in fact, this can be easier for introverts in online environments) it isn't something they prefer to do in the game.
    • Breakups. At times, a player plays alone because the social circles they did have exploded. A guild became defunct, a friend they used to play with quit, and they haven't found new social circles to replace the old ones yet.
    • Unworthy. An unfortunate result of the "gg, scrub" attitude is that expectations placed on players in groups is high. This makes some players uncomfortable trying group content because they are concerned about failing. The speaker cites tanks in particular as facing especially high barriers here, as raids with a tank wipe waste lots of people's time.
    • Vacationers. Some play games just to get away. They want to play alone right now, even if they are in a guild, because they just want a break from obligations and responsibilities.
    • Commitment/Drama-Phobe. Perhaps the first time someone joined a social guild, it was full of a bunch of toxic drama. Some have tried to step into the social scene but were faced with such a bad experience. Or they tried a raid and it took forever and also left a bad experience. They just don't want to commit to social anything.
    • Loners. Some just prefer playing the game alone. They prefer the solo experience. They aren't interested in the group content at all, for whatever reason. They game can be played that way, so they play it that way. And ESO can certainly be played like a single-player RPG.

And not to forget the "elitist" attitude of some, which is putting me off. The lack of courtesy and friendliness. The lack of manners. I could go on and on with reasons why not wanting to engage in group content.
    ✭✭✭✭✭

See, at some point one just has to acknowledge the facts - pvp isn't going to get better, any improvement ZOS could possibly make will be outdone by more players returning to play pvp - and the result of it will be, it might even feel worse for some time until enough will have left again, and then it will feel pretty much the same as currently - so this isn't going to change and ZOS knows that as well. So their main focus will be on anything else but pvp, because there they can still improve, whereas pvp is a lost cause - so their focus will most likely be new stuff for casual players and PvE group content and a new CP system for end game players to keep them busy grinding.

So yeah, it isn't a Ferrari for players like you - but it is for someone like me.

I don't agree entirely. I don't believe PVP is a lost cause. If people left I think the game would feel rather empty very quickly. I think they will address it at one point, but possibly with a a monetary approach like PVE has now known for quite some time. That said, PVP does have many aspects of paid content. You only have to look and know that at the moment the current Meta's (actually every meta in a sense) is based off the latest DLC content and often to the displeasure of many. Just saying target audience is also in player vs player realms, even the most casual of us all.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »

And, of course, as with any of these personality guides, many people are a mix. I'd put myself in a varying combo of Introvert / Unworthy / Vacationer / Loner.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing that allows multiple players to log in at the same time is a single player game. Even if you don't group with or talk to other players ever, you are still affected by what those around you do.

Other players can still attack mobs you are fighting. They can farm resources you were going to farm and open chests you were going to unlock. They can buy things you sell and you can buy things they sell.

The only true single player games only allow a single character to play.
    PCNA
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Btw that video seems to be pretty interesting - from the game developer conference - just a few minutes in and I would recommend watching it.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't agree entirely. I don't believe PVP is a lost cause. If people left I think the game would feel rather empty very quickly. I think they will address it at one point, but possibly with a a monetary approach like PVE has now known for quite some time. That said, PVP does have many aspects of paid content. You only have to look and know that at the moment the current Meta's (actually every meta in a sense) is based off the latest DLC content and often to the displeasure of many. Just saying target audience is also in player vs player realms, even the most casual of us all.

PvP is a lost cause in ESO, because what would have to be done is to overhaul the complete combat system in order to get around those resource traps which are in the twitchy design and the overuse of AoE and DoT effects in the combat system. This is nothing ZOS will take on, so it is a lost cause.
  • robertthebard
    robertthebard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Klad wrote: »
    Gone are the days of screaming fake Tank
    Gone are the days of Git GUUD Scrub.

I'm just guessing, but I doubt that companions will be allowed in queued dungeons-- walk-in dungeons, yes; but probably not queued dungeons. I mean, how would that even work? But who knows; perhaps they'll figure out a way to handle it.

So it seems likely that players are still going to have to put up with obnoxious OP players if they want to queue for a dungeon to grab their daily transmute crystals.

It worked in swtor, barring raids, by kicking an obnoxious player, and replacing them with a comp. Sometimes the runs would be even smoother after doing so.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Forced group content in zones never goes down well. A lesson Craglorn learned well...

I think the next big "MMO" advancement for the genre will be to make solo content truly solo, so you don't even run into random players on the map unless it's beneficial to you (ie, world bosses, dolmens, public dungeons). Seeing other players around you when you're questing or delving actively detracts from the experience since it necessitates MMO tropes like respawning mobs and simpler quest structures (can't have set pieces and big changes after quests in a shared world). It's not a thought many players want to face though - they'll defend seeing players everywhere and say "that's how an MMO works" as though MMOs have stayed the same and never evolved, and as though modern MMOs like Destiny and the Division aren't half way to this position already. But it's almost certainly going to happen, and I think that 95% chunk of players will love it for the increased quality in AI, level design, and quest structure as a result.

I am for the most part a solo player but don't like solo games as I like seeing the other players in the cities and while out adventuring/questing. If things truly go the way you are predicting I can safely say I wouldn't play MMO's anymore and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that regard.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Forced group content in zones never goes down well. A lesson Craglorn learned well...

I think the next big "MMO" advancement for the genre will be to make solo content truly solo, so you don't even run into random players on the map unless it's beneficial to you (ie, world bosses, dolmens, public dungeons). Seeing other players around you when you're questing or delving actively detracts from the experience since it necessitates MMO tropes like respawning mobs and simpler quest structures (can't have set pieces and big changes after quests in a shared world). It's not a thought many players want to face though - they'll defend seeing players everywhere and say "that's how an MMO works" as though MMOs have stayed the same and never evolved, and as though modern MMOs like Destiny and the Division aren't half way to this position already. But it's almost certainly going to happen, and I think that 95% chunk of players will love it for the increased quality in AI, level design, and quest structure as a result.

I am for the most part a solo player but don't like solo games as I like seeing the other players in the cities and while out adventuring/questing. If things truly go the way you are predicting I can safely say I wouldn't play MMO's anymore and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that regard.

the funny thing is - things already HAVE been this way. Guild wars 1. where you only see players in main hubs, and adventure in instances.

the game is popular and is STILL running, but there is a reason why Guild wars 2 doesn't function like that and instead has mostly an open world with occasional story instance (similar to ESO etc).

you are not the only player who likes to play solo, but STILL see other people and feel like you are a part of a bigger world. MMO developers know that. the actual developments lately have been in a direction of allowing for more informal grouping where you can join into something happening and then move on at will, no group invites required. shared tag if you will. even older MMO's like WoW that used to have restrictive tagging of mobs, where once one person tags it, it doesn't drop loot, or xp, or counts towards any progress at all, for anyone around them - is now making tags shared. sometimes even across factions.

not instancing content entirely (SWTOR still has shared world, individual story quests are personal, the way vestige story is personal, but side stories - are more often then not, happen in open world still), but rather allowing people to "group" without having to group.

destiny 2 also has a good deal of open areas to go with instances - there are events happening that you can join informally - all the time. Division is... an interesting beast in that regard, but I feel like they are honestly more of a throwback then the future.
    Edited by Linaleah on January 27, 2021 10:03PM
    dirty worthless casual.
  • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But with these changes it seems like it. The devs seem to be encouraging solo play more and more in a MMO. And pushing it as a Chapter selling point no less. The way things are going in a year or two they will just remove the MMO part and just call it Elderscrolls (Solo adventure) featuring the Crown Store.

Devs catering to all types of players? Blasphemy of the highest order! People need to take a step back and chill. Not every update is gonna cater to everyone. The companions are optional so if you don't like em, don't use em. Group content is still being pumped out 3/4 updates (4 new dungeons and a new trial every year).