Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS Help! I have 92 surveys to do

StarOfElyon
StarOfElyon
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been doing my surveys off and on over the past couple of days and I still have 92 left in my inventory. I can't do this. I do not have time.

I've asked in the past if you could implement a way to help us deal with these surveys. We have hirelings. I don't know if anyone puts points into that perk but I don't. I would if I could give 1 - 3 surveys of each type to my hireling to retrieve the mats for each day.

I feel overwhelmed by the grind of this game. Everything is a grind. I can't spare the time to even simply play and enjoy the game.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MonF67p.jpg

I have a few to collect as well (maybe I'll edit in my main account when I get to it, still doing writs on the alt)... but I know that part of doing daily writs (and the ENORMOUS rewards that they have) is that I have the OPTION to go and collect the surveys for BONUS rewards.

Nobody is making you collect them. If they're a hassle, destroy them.
    Edited by tmbrinks on January 13, 2021 9:37PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need those mats. How else am I supposed to be self-sufficient and not be at the mercy of the guild traders?
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need those mats. How else am I supposed to be self-sufficient and not be at the mercy of the guild traders?

Then collect the surveys. They are most definitely worth doing, there are almost no other activities (other than the daily writs themselves) that are as efficient on a value/time ratio in the game.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    heh.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Then collect the surveys. They are most definitely worth doing, there are almost no other activities (other than the daily writs themselves) that are as efficient on a value/time ratio in the game.

I am doing them, as I said in my original post. I have done them in the past. I'm asking for a quality of life improvement. Who would argue against that?
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I like to do is farm chests in the area around the surveys, really helps break up the time.

But I feel the pain. I recently bought around 200 treasure maps, spent nearly 200K on them, and farmed them all. Took a long time. Especially longer since I was stopping from farming a location to pick up Ancestral Motif Leads when they dropped.

The game could definitely benefit from a number of things stacking and being "easier" to pick up. Treasure maps stacking and automatically refreshing to dig would be great too. As would Antiquity Lead stacking.

We already know that chests can spawn and despawn while you are looking at them, just make the maps and the surveys instantly respawn while you are there if you have another one in the inventory and complete one.
    Edited by jaws343 on January 13, 2021 10:19PM
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here's this one's current count. This one wishes that each stack would trigger all at once, if the surveys were in inventory.

surveys.png?width=770&height=738
    Edited by karthrag_inak on January 13, 2021 10:28PM
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's this one's current count. This one wishes that each stack would trigger all at once, if the surveys were in inventory.

Divines help you.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am doing them, as I said in my original post. I have done them in the past. I'm asking for a quality of life improvement. Who would argue against that?

I feel quality of life improvements should be for "pain points" in the game... not something that is already among the most efficient means for making gold... but I guess I'm in the minority, considering this isn't even the only thread on this on the front page of this sub-forum.

As I said, collecting surveys is just part of doing the "profit" of doing writs.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel that if ZOS makes any changes to the writ/survey mechanics it would not be to the benefit of players doing multiple toons worth of writs daily. The issue of having too many surveys to do would likely not be seen as an actual issue. If they "fix" anything, it might be to make daily writs an account daily instead of a toon daily to "fix" the problem.

Basically, complaining you have too much of a good thing can lead to ZOS taking away that thing as a result.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel quality of life improvements should be for "pain points" in the game... not something that is already among the most efficient means for making gold... but I guess I'm in the minority, considering this isn't even the only thread on this on the front page of this sub-forum.

As I said, collecting surveys is just part of doing the "profit" of doing writs.

Considering how expensive everything in the game is, from houses to furnishings, and given people's limited time, I don't see a problem with making gold. I mean, I don't care how much gold other people are making if I can do the same thing.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering how expensive everything in the game is, from houses to furnishings, and given people's limited time, I don't see a problem with making gold. I mean, I don't care how much gold other people are making if I can do the same thing.

MMOs are long-term commitment games. They aren't designed for instant gratification and the "quick" achievement of being able to purchase everything.

(You know that if you just pump a whole bunch of gold and value into a system... everything will lose value... and prices will go up... right?)
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

MMOs are long-term commitment games. They aren't designed for instant gratification and the "quick" achievement of being able to purchase everything.

(You know that if you just pump a whole bunch of gold and value into a system... everything will lose value... and prices will go up... right?)

Prices can go up on guild traders but people don't have to pay. I can be self-sufficient, which is why I'm trying to do my surveys. The guild trader doesn't affect anyone who can gather their own materials. Besides, those guild sellers probably use bots and they have all the mats and gold they need. I'm just trying to make my gear and get enough money to afford things on sale in the game in my limited time as a married man with children. MMOs shouldn't just be for the single people with no life offline.

Actually, guild traders offering mats for sale are more "instant gratification" than what I'm asking for.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on January 14, 2021 12:17AM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Prices can go up on guild traders but people don't have to pay. I can be self-sufficient, which is why I'm trying to do my surveys. The guild trader doesn't affect anyone who can gather their own materials. Besides, those guild sellers probably use bots and they have all the mats and gold they need. I'm just trying to make my gear and get enough money to afford things on sale in the game in my limited time as a married man with children. MMOs shouldn't just be for the single people with no life offline.

Actually, guild traders offering mats for sale are more "instant gratification" than what I'm asking for.

I never said they were just for single people with no life offline... but I'm sure people appreciate being insulted like that. (BTW, many people have much less outside life right now... because we're actually doing what we should be doing during this pandemic and keeping away from public places and lots of contact)

Curiously you had the time to do the daily writs that gave you all those surveys, so to say that you don't have time... :neutral:

Honestly, if they just gave you all the surveys when you got them, there would be no point to surveys... just change the drops from the writs to make it be about the same. But, they are designed as the "bonus" reward that you can choose to get.

I'd be 100% fine that you can trade in your survey to get the 15 max level materials and 10 of another random lower level material, which is the reward you'd get if you didn't receive the survey drop. But you don't get to refine, so no improvement mats from them.

Does that sound reasonable?
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I never said they were just for single people with no life offline... but I'm sure people appreciate being insulted like that. (BTW, many people have much less outside life right now... because we're actually doing what we should be doing during this pandemic and keeping away from public places and lots of contact)

Curiously you had the time to do the daily writs that gave you all those surveys, so to say that you don't have time... :neutral:

Honestly, if they just gave you all the surveys when you got them, there would be no point to surveys... just change the drops from the writs to make it be about the same. But, they are designed as the "bonus" reward that you can choose to get.

I'd be 100% fine that you can trade in your survey to get the 15 max level materials and 10 of another random lower level material, which is the reward you'd get if you didn't receive the survey drop. But you don't get to refine, so no improvement mats from them.

What I would like is what I asked for. And that's the ability to turn in surveys to my hirelings (which I'll put skill points into) and have them deliver the mats (as they already do deliver some materials). Nothing else needs to be said on that.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What I would like is what I asked for. And that's the ability to turn in surveys to my hirelings (which I'll put skill points into) and have them deliver the mats (as they already do deliver some materials). Nothing else needs to be said on that.

Then I 100% disagree with that proposition, for the reasons I stated.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no fool. I know that it really comes down to people trying to protect the status quo. If mats become easier to come by, the prices on the guild traders will drop. There won't be inflation if everyone is turning in there surveys and becoming more self-sufficient. Of course, those who don't want to do any crafting will still turn to the traders for the convenience of it.

Anyway, back to the grind.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy damn... That might maybe break the 2.1 billion gold limit hard-coded into the game if you collect and sell everything.

Luckily ZOS has accounted for the huge annoyance and time sink collecting survey is.

You are a great example of why they will probably never make them easy to get. I'm not even hard-code anymore and probably have 400 of them. If I need to upgrade some sets I get the most repeated one and collect only until I have enough to get gold mats.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calm_Fury wrote: »

Holy damn... That might maybe break the 2.1 billion gold limit hard-coded into the game if you collect and sell everything.

Luckily ZOS has accounted for the huge annoyance and time sink collecting survey is.

You are a great example of why they will probably never make them easy to get. I'm not even hard-code anymore and probably have 400 of them. If I need to upgrade some sets I get the most repeated one and collect only until I have enough to get gold mats.

It doesn't really come close to that.

Even if they were all Jewelry Surveys. The expected value of the materials from a single Jewelry survey is about 21k in value.

120 raw mats * 85% (refine rate) = 102 mats * 40 gold each ~ 4000 gold

12 refines * (15% chance of terne grain * 100 (value) + 12.5% chance of iridium * 1000 (value) + 7.5 % chance of zircon * 5000 (value) + 5% chance of chromium * 18000 (value)) ~ 17,000 gold

That's 21k gold total, so to get to the hard-coded max... they'd need to have 100,000 jewelry surveys. There are about 150 unique surveys, so they'd need over 650 at each location to hit the maximum. And that's just jewelry, with the lower values of the others, you're probably looking over 1000-1500 of each unique survey to hit that 2.1 billion number.

• Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've been doing my surveys off and on over the past couple of days and I still have 92 left in my inventory. I can't do this. I do not have time.

I've asked in the past if you could implement a way to help us deal with these surveys. We have hirelings. I don't know if anyone puts points into that perk but I don't. I would if I could give 1 - 3 surveys of each type to my hireling to retrieve the mats for each day.

I feel overwhelmed by the grind of this game. Everything is a grind. I can't spare the time to even simply play and enjoy the game.

Honestly, from looking at your other posts, i think your trolling us. Especially since surveys have a huge reward:time invested payoff ratio. This is also probably the least grindy MMO i have ever played, and definitely the least grindy in this MMORPG genre.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the official ESO forums - where some customers will routinely argue against sensible quality of life improvements.

Personally, I don't care one way or another on surveys, but it makes sense for our characters to be able to use our hirelings to collect surveys. They already collect bits and scraps, so why can't we tell them to also go to this spot and gather things? It would make sense.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if they were all Jewelry Surveys. The expected value of the materials from a single Jewelry survey is about 21k in value.

12 refines * (15% chance of terne grain * 100 (value) + 12.5% chance of iridium * 1000 (value) + 7.5 % chance of zircon * 5000 (value) + 5% chance of chromium * 18000 (value)) ~ 17,000 gold

That's 21k gold total, so to get to the hard-coded max... they'd need to have 100,000 jewelry surveys. There are about 150 unique surveys, so they'd need over 650 at each location to hit the maximum. And that's just jewelry, with the lower values of the others, you're probably looking over 1000-1500 of each unique survey to hit that 2.1 billion number.

r/theyDidTheMath

I was just joking!
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »

Welcome to the official ESO forums - where some customers will routinely argue against sensible quality of life improvements.

Personally, I don't care one way or another on surveys, but it makes sense for our characters to be able to use our hirelings to collect surveys. They already collect bits and scraps, so why can't we tell them to also go to this spot and gather things? It would make sense.

It's your opinion that they're sensible. Some of us are looking at the overall health of the economy of the game, and not just out for ourselves and our own niche playstyle.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

r/theyDidTheMath

I was just joking!

:smile: I mean... I teach math :tongue:
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's your opinion that they're sensible. Some of us are looking at the overall health of the economy of the game, and not just out for ourselves and our own niche playstyle.

I've already explained why the "economy" will be fine. If players want to gather their own materials, ZOS should help them. The only people who lose out are the sellers - sellers that might be using bots to gather mats - who can't jack prices up sky high because the demand MIGHT drop if everyone on ESO decided to gather their own materials. But we all know that many would rather depend on the convenience and the instant gratification of guild traders than to do writs and collect their materials. This hurts nothing. Give it up.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t know how many hundreds of surveys I have, but it’s many. A thousand? More?

I would pay an obscene amount of crowns for an assistant or hireling to do these for me. I
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've already explained why the "economy" will be fine. If players want to gather their own materials, ZOS should help them. The only people who lose out are the sellers - sellers that might be using bots to gather mats - who can't jack prices up sky high because the demand MIGHT drop if everyone on ESO decided to gather their own materials. But we all know that many would rather depend on the convenience and the instant gratification of guild traders than to do writs and collect their materials. This hurts nothing. Give it up.

Thank you for your opinion.

I've made my explanations too. This would hurt the economy. Give it up.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just tackle them a bit each time you play and eventually you will have it down to a more reasonable number. There are a few zones I’m still working to get caught up on, but more zones now for which I regularly do the surveys soon after I get them. :)
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just tackle them a bit each time you play and eventually you will have it down to a more reasonable number. There are a few zones I’m still working to get caught up on, but more zones now for which I regularly do the surveys soon after I get them. :)

When i need to clear surveys and treasure maps out of my bank, i do them all for a single zone while waiting for queues( usually BGs) to pop. Works great.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You... you do realize that caring so much about the alleged overall health of the economy of the game is also a niche playstyle, right? Trading is a totally optional activity in this game.