The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Any Addons Available to assist you in choosing which sets to use for your build

SteveyP777
Hi everyone,

I've had a look and I'm not sure an addon exists for exactly what I'm after here - but there is an ENORMOUS number of different possible sets available in the game, and to chose one, develop it to perfection then to ensure it works harmoniously with all other aspects of a build can literally take MONTHS so I'm looking for a comprehensive way to SORT between and CHOOSE which sets I'm most keen on based on my own criteria.

I cannot find an addon that does this - the SuperStar addon looks really good but that's just to help organise existing sets and doesn't compile and help you sort through all possible sets that exist.

I've checked out the ESO Academy build tool which is probably the closest thing to what I'm looking for but it's very linear (unless I've not given it enough of a chance) - it doesn't give a host of options as far as the different sets are concerned in the game - you cannot browse options based on chosen criteria.

The only way I've found to do what I'm after is to manually go through all the sets until I find a combination I like, or just play through the game until some great sets fall on my lap.

So I've started building a tool in Excel - which is laborious but potentially worth it if it can not just help me but others (couldn't find a way to attach it but I'm sure you get the idea from the above).

Thoughts? How do people intelligently and comprehensively find the best sets which work from them? Do most people rely on recommendations of others or tried/tested builds promoted by other players? Or do they go through the wikis and do it that way? Or just play the game till they find what works?

Thanks in advance,

SteveyP.
Edited by ZOS_Adrikoth on January 6, 2021 1:10PM
  • theCampeR_
    theCampeR_
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

https://eso-sets.com/

has all the sets in the game listed with all the set bonus info, where to find them etc with filtering tools.
    For an example, if you dont want to go to pvp or dungeon farming for sets, you can exclusively look for overland tradable sets.

If you want to figure out if a set works in a build in the way you want, I would use wiki build editor or play on PTS.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    now we use pts once new sets come out and try them on an put together an working build for them as for an program or add-on theres nothing like that yes we can do the math and all that but nothing that you put in i want to be x and it says wear x,y,and z
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact of the matter is, there are 431 sets in this game (473 if you count perfected sets separately from their normal counterparts), so you will get overwhelmed by the number of choices available, and there's no getting around that.

That said, I recommend Item Set Browser, which lets you search sets by their set bonuses. I've often used this to narrow down my options when I'm trying to come up with a new setup.

For example, here I'm searching for all the item sets that mention spell damage for the 5pc bonus:
    Screenshot_20210106_054215.png
    Edited by code65536 on January 6, 2021 10:42AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think most (including myself)use a combination of ESO https://eso-sets.com/
    And uesp build editor(Google it) it allows you to make a full build and see it purely from a numbers perspective. Like this:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=282444
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is, there are 431 sets in this game (473 if you count perfected sets separately from their normal counterparts), so you will get overwhelmed by the number of choices available, and there's no getting around that.

That said, I recommend Item Set Browser, which lets you search sets by their set bonuses. I've often used this to narrow down my options when I'm trying to come up with a new setup.

For example, here I'm searching for all the item sets that mention spell damage for the 5pc bonus:
    Screenshot_20210106_053021.png

thats cool i like the looks of that and cool way to use the add-on
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Screenshot_20210106_054215.png

This add-on together with 'Set Tracker', which is compatible with itembrowser. Set Tracker allows you to categorize and mark sets. One of the two add-ons needs a second version as well to work if I remember correctly, because the original developer stopped.
    Edited by caperb on January 6, 2021 11:25AM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    caperb wrote: »
    This add-on together with 'Set Tracker', which is compatible with itembrowser. Set Tracker allows you to categorize and mark sets. One of the two add-ons needs a second version as well to work if I remember correctly, because the original developer stopped.

Set Tracker was abandoned by its original author. Someone else picked it up, but they've abandoned it as well. Set Tracker is outdated and not compatible with Item Set Browser. With the new Item Set Collection system, there isn't as much point to Set Tracker anyway, and Item Set Browser 3 fully supports the new Item Set Collection system.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use the UESP build editor along with https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sets as as reference.

You could go on the PTS to try builds or - in the long term, like me - hoard x50 transmute geodes from PvP and buy / farm all sets on live. I have collected all overland sets at this point, mostly via guild stores and using the Awesome Guild Store addon to find uncollected items at reasonable prices.

The benefit of collecting all set items is that reconstruction cost is down to 25 transmutes, which you get back when you decon the item. This allows you to try sets without polluting your inventory. The main expense you're left with is (Hakeijo) runes and (gold) tempers. My inventory is starting to consist only of the expensive purple / gold jewelry and gold weapons I once used. Everything else I re-craft or reconstruct, as needed.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    caperb wrote: »

Set Tracker was abandoned by its original author. Someone else picked it up, but they've abandoned it as well. Set Tracker is outdated and not compatible with Item Set Browser. With the new Item Set Collection system, there isn't as much point to Set Tracker anyway, and Item Set Browser 3 fully supports the new Item Set Collection system.

That it is not compatible is not true, I've recently updated them and I can use Set Tracker in Item Set Browser. The sticker book and the functions of Item Set Browser are completely irrelevant for the usefulness of Set Tracker.

(Edit: I want to add to that that I've updated and downloaded new versions about a month ago, not sure if you or someone else released something new after that, but simply updating via minion hasn't broken the synergy for me.)

Set Tracker is a useful tool to mark sets with a colour, so that regardless of you having the item in your sticker book or not, you can see what to do with it (for example: sell merchant, sell trader, decon, keep good traits, keep all etc.).

At least, I use it in that way, and wanted to add that to your useful suggestion of Item Set Browser concerning the question of the OP.
    Edited by caperb on January 6, 2021 1:16PM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SteveyP777 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a comprehensive way to SORT between and CHOOSE which sets I'm most keen on based on my own criteria.
    .../...
    So I've started building a tool in Excel - which is laborious but potentially worth it if it can not just help me but others (couldn't find a way to attach it but I'm sure you get the idea from the above).

To be honest, no, I don't really get the idea.
    A build is a combination of gear sets + class + skill sets + CP which end up in a playstyle and a rotation.

Let's assume that "playstyle/rotation" equal to "your own criteria" then you'd have to fill in the other parts of the equation (skills, class and CP) in order to get some sort of idea of what gear sets could be useful to you. Else you'd get an unsolvable or a self-looping equation.

• SteveyP777
    To be honest, no, I don't really get the idea.
    A build is a combination of gear sets + class + skill sets + CP which end up in a playstyle and a rotation.

Let's assume that "playstyle/rotation" equal to "your own criteria" then you'd have to fill in the other parts of the equation (skills, class and CP) in order to get some sort of idea of what gear sets could be useful to you. Else you'd get an unsolvable or a self-looping equation.

@anitajoneb17_ESO - I think the short version of what you're saying is 'You have to look at your build as a whole', right?

True as that may be, the fact there are nearly 500 sets to choose from I think warrants a little question mark over whether any tools are available to help narrow the vast array of options down.

I've proven that myself by building a tool in excel which, based on chosen criteria, instantly narrows the vast number of sets down to ones which I would be interested in.

For example - the eso-sets wiki enables you to use certain filters which narrow options down. That's a great start - but there's so many other criteria I'd love to see available in a tool somewhere which helps you to at least view options in an order that makes sense.

I.e. if you want to prioritise stamina over magicka - to sort those which provide stamina boosts first.

Of course - set bonuses are not about mere stat boosts - but even set bonuses can be categorised into bonuses which provide buffs in one or other area (damaging enemies, healing allies, buffing physical/spell resistances).

It seems intuitive to me to ask whether a tool is available to help with the narrowing down of options and it seems, from people's responses, that there are.

But - of course - that does not go to say that what you're suggesting isn't exactly right, and a build needs to be considered as a whole, factors from other areas of your build will impact which sets you choose to use.

Hope that makes sense!
  • SteveyP777
    theCampeR_ wrote: »
    Hello,

https://eso-sets.com/

has all the sets in the game listed with all the set bonus info, where to find them etc with filtering tools.
    For an example, if you dont want to go to pvp or dungeon farming for sets, you can exclusively look for overland tradable sets.

If you want to figure out if a set works in a build in the way you want, I would use wiki build editor or play on PTS.

@theCampeR_ thanks for the above - eso-sets is actually the main site I'm using to create the tool I'm building in Excel... whilst it does provide some brilliant filtering options, I'm looking for something even more powerful with a greater array of criteria that you can input to help narrow the vast array of options down. But the eso-sets is definitely a fantastic start!
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set Tracker is a useful tool to mark sets with a colour, so that regardless of you having the item in your sticker book or not, you can see what to do with it (for example: sell merchant, sell trader, decon, keep good traits, keep all etc.).

SetTracker is buggy, includeds outdated libaries and lags the inventory at each open.
    If you want to stick to it, do it.
    If not, you can try other addons like FCOItemSaver to mark your items and sets with custom markers, and to be able to filter and protect the items.
    CustomItemNotes for free text at items e.g.
    WishList for a set item WishList.

There recently was released another addon that shows the purpose of sets in the tooltip, like "Stam DD", "Tank", etc. But I cannot find it anymore...
    Edited by Baertram on May 13, 2021 2:58AM
  • DarthFett
    DarthFett
    ✭✭✭
    @SteveyP777
    Are you still working on your Excel doc?
    If so, I'd love to take a look or help with it if you need.
    This one swears-by his life and his love of it-that this one will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for him.

Satoris Lightmane - Khajiit NB
  • NanoTechnicianHQ
    I remember using this to check if it could be used by Tank, DPS & Healer etc.

I wouldn't say its accurate, I use Tamriel Trade Center to price check if something innocuous is worth keeping.

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2725-MetaCheck.html
    My Twitch settings and ESO addons list: https://nanohq.wordpress.com/eso-addons/ better yet, follow me on Twitter: TechnicianNano
  • Neugeniko
    Neugeniko
    ✭✭✭
    ESO needs a decent build sharing in game like eveonline.

1) Then you could just grab a build into a buying list for crafted & Boe gear.
    2) compare to ttc availability.
    3) start hitting up harder content.

Most serious crafters will know some good setups to get you well and truly ready for farming up non dlc monster sets
    and then your gtg to farm up anything else in 4man that you need for trials. There are also some great setups for PVP amongst crafted sets. I store many setups for crafted gear in the lazy set crafting addon.

But a sharing addon would be the best. Even if it is something as simple as a list of uesp build editor htttp links.

• NanoTechnicianHQ
    SkillFactory has an addon that send your build to their website where you further customize it and share the url.

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2899-ESO-Skillfactory.comBuildExport.html
    https://www.eso-skillfactory.com/en/

My Twitch settings and ESO addons list: https://nanohq.wordpress.com/eso-addons/ better yet, follow me on Twitter: TechnicianNano
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There recently was released another addon that shows the purpose of sets in the tooltip, like "Stam DD", "Tank", etc. But I cannot find it anymore..

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2725-MetaCheck.html
    This was the one, thanks @NanoTechnicianHQ