Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How important is your character’s appearance?

UGotBenched91
UGotBenched91
✭✭✭✭✭
How important is your character’s appearance to you?

For me it’s crucial to my enjoyment of the game. If I don’t like the way my character looks it bothers me to the point I don’t want to play the game. This includes the physical look of the character and the armor. This has caused me to create, delete, and recreate many different characters.

This is one reason that despite my liking of orcs I don’t play them in ESO. Because ESO orcs are the ugliest race I’ve ever seen in an MMO. All the unnecessary forehead wrinkles...

How important is your character’s appearance? 400 votes

Very important
71%
laurajfKikazaruGilvothvailjohn_ESOCaligamy_ESOamm7sb14_ESOdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOdcam86b14_ESOAnelliumKesstrylGlassHalfFullEsha76jPatton9b14_ESODarcyMardinHanokihsssewallb14_ESOxaraanNirntrotterFaulgorIruil_ESO 285 votes
Important
18%
tohopka_esoKalikiDanikatzariaCaehnmagnusthorekkari-pekka.hamalaineneb17_ESOmertustaVaxtinTheWolfpreeviousTandorJayleeTaleof2Citiescyclonus11Jeffrey530WeesacsMindcr0wHallothielDojohodaraaphor 75 votes
Neutral
5%
lolo_01b16_ESOEasily_Lostpod88kkEedatLady_Lindelpatrick_smythJaimehAnotherone773SeaGtGruffFatFredB0SSzombieThoragaalrpaBisDasBlutGefriertMelivarsvendfnesakintercaperbSDKTJnoneatza 21 votes
Less important
2%
ThunderclapAsysLettigallHaquorStytchFingalElectrone_MagnusjoergingerNightowl_74Pterion87Xiomaro 10 votes
Not important
2%
jedtb16_ESODaviiid_ESOfossoyerSylosiOlupajmibananccfeelingpelle412CE_NexSimon_111 9 votes
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    On a scale to 1-10.. "Never became a vampire" important.

Not all characters have a 'proper' outfit yet though. Slowly figuring those out with whatever I have. I spent hours in some character creators in an attempt to get an idea just right, after browsing all of the options.
    Edited by VaxtinTheWolf on December 20, 2020 4:49AM
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Essential. It’s part of how I chose which game I would play and what races and even what armor and abilities I will consider using. Not that I only use abilities that I think look cool, but I won’t morph into a monster or on some characters, even summon daedra.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Neutral
    Ill put a little effort into appearance but not much. Playing dress up just isnt my thing.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very important
    Important enough that I wish there was “barber shop” implemented in the game.

Stay safe and have fun :)
  • AinSoph
    AinSoph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    I race changed a Breton into a High Elf but she doesn't smile as prominently with the Cheerful personality as she did when she was a Breton and I am literally tempted to buy an appearance token just for that
  • Faiza
    Faiza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    I cured vampirism on my main, not because of the impending changes due to Greymoor, but because I despised the way vampirism changed her naturally bronzed, sun-kissed appearance that I spent a very long time in the character creator picking out haha.

Also, I'm very fond of my orc :( I don't think they're ugly at all.
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Faiza wrote: »
    I cured vampirism on my main, not because of the impending changes due to Greymoor, but because I despised the way vampirism changed her naturally bronzed, sun-kissed appearance that I spent a very long time in the character creator picking out haha.

Ha to each their own my friend. I grew up playing another game that had a far better visual for orcs and I’m use to that.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Very important
    This is one reason that despite my liking of orcs I don’t play them in ESO. Because ESO orcs are the ugliest race I’ve ever seen in an MMO. All the unnecessary forehead wrinkles...

Aww, you made Gar sad.
    Z25xhg8m.png?1

Seriously though, I really spend a lot of time to make my characters look right, and I have spent way too much time in front of the outfit station to get everything perfect. I actually am waiting right now to start another character because I can't decide on his hairstyle - I'd love Short Mussed Wave (if the ever would release it), but otherwise... I don't know. I also want to finish Gar's story first, but yeah, 70% of the reason I haven't started my next character is that I can't figure out what hairstyle to give him.

Of course there is the corollary that two of my character ideas are because I ended up making really awesome looking characters while I was making lowbies for testing/motif framing. It's kind of fun when you can build a whole story out of a character's look and a few plot bulletpoints.

And yeah, Orcs are awesome. ESO actually gave me a real appreciation for them, since I love that Gar is short for an Orc. I can't consider starting another Elder Scrolls game as any other race now.
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    I'm overjoyed they finally released those crown-change thingies!

Was told my perfectionism is so bad my NA account has over 200 deleted chars *blush*
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very important
    Very important. I’ve deleted an absurd amount of characters in this game just because they didn’t feel quite “right” to me.
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Stovahkiin wrote: »
    Very important. I’ve deleted an absurd amount of characters in this game just because they didn’t feel quite “right” to me.

I’m glad I’m not alone. Currently trying to make a stamsorc but can’t get past the character creation screen. I’ve tried orc, khajit, and for kicks an Argonian but nothing is jumping out.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    My over 100 costumes, ESO+ for costume dying, and crafting items in favorable motifs just to look fancy should tell you how much I value my character's appearance. It also sucks when we get outfits and stuff with undyeable parts that ruin the plans we had for them. Like the undyeable metal of the Dark Passion's Regalia...... Is still ticked off about that.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Very important
    If I am unable to embody some of who I am into my characters in a physical way that I feel represents part of me, I will not become as attached to the game. Games where I can customize my toon and express myself through their style, will keep me around longer. I have many issues with this game, character customization is not one of them (although I think 1500 crowns for a single outfit slot is UBER RIDICULOUS...1500 should be an account wide slot).
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Important
    I like having a consistent theme with my characters, but I am no elder fashion online player.
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very important
    Of utmost importance. Creating a character that I can enjoy living in a fantasy world with comfortably is essential to my enjoyment, and character creation in general is my favourite thing about an rpg if done well, which eso does. I only wish there were more character slots for my creations!
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • Scottfree2
    Scottfree2
    ✭✭✭
    Very important
    I find the insanely large range of options available in the outfits screen to be simply overwhelming, so i use costumes, which i usually dye to get a (hopefully) reasonably distinctive look.
  • CE_Nex
    CE_Nex
    ✭✭✭
    Not important
    I just wear skeleton or asylum polymorph on all my toons so it's not that big of a deal to me.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very important
    I'll spend a lot of time in create a character, and if it doesn't look right in the real game, I'll delete it and do it again.
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    Less important
    It's not very important to me, I would have chosen not at all but I do like to play around with character creation a little. I usually wear a costume because I find the outfit system annoying.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Took me a long time to create each character and then I had to find an outfit, mount and pet that fit the entire mystic.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Appearance is everything for fantasy characters. Gotta resonate with them! I race changed my char to look as close to me as possible. Race, gear, setup etc don't really matter when you're casually rp'ing your char, just looks and feel.

I've also changed name a few times to match my race and backstory. It's very important that I can get into my char's shoes, otherwise there's no point in playing for me! I've wasted several crowns, but I don't have any alts, only one main.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Important
    Some of my characters have a themed appearance and some are simply not naked. It depends on how often I play the game with the character on whether or not I bother with its appearance.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Every character is unique and has a given role. I spend time on their appearance as it heightens my enjoyment of the game.

I first got into the outfit station because of the horrible shoulder pieces ;)
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Neutral
    I can take ugly but uncanny I dislike. In ESO I do prefer anything that does not try to look human but all races are poor enough approximations to not bother me. As for outfits, I've been spoiled with better implementations elsewhere so I don't do that in this game. WW Hunter hat and Nordic Bath Towel suffice.
    Edited by rpa on December 20, 2020 10:19AM
  • Rasoma
    Rasoma
    ✭✭✭
    Very important
    How I look in game to myself and others is paramount - as it should be in any MMORPG.

I only have three characters...

The happy go lucky almost naive young sorcerer who dresses in fine clothing whilst blasting foes from afar and healing.

The noble knight in full armour with sword and shield who leaps into combat to protect the innocent.

The dark and dastardly rogue who wears soft and supple leather that makes no noise as he moves in to steal your undergarments without you noticing.
    @Rasoma - member since January 8th 2014
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    Faiza wrote: »

I agree with you on orcs, they look fine in ESO. However, while I understand your missing the naturally bronzed and sun-kissed appearance on your main character, isn't that a major part of what being a vampire is about?
  • faeeichenlaub
    faeeichenlaub
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Based on the amount of time and in game gold I spend on motifs for the outfit system. I will admit to it being more important than it probably should be.

But it is certainly a big part of my enjoyment of the game of the activities I do.
    "Azura give me strength, Let my voice change the world as long as I am in it."
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    I design my character's appearence alongside deciding things like their race, class and build and they all feed into each other. I also dress them up based on what they're doing, e.g. my main character is mostly wearing a formal dress right now for New Life but changes into something less restrictive for the Signal Fire Sprint. They all have personalised armour too, based on not just how they fight but where they live and their clothing preferences.

Although I don't want all my characters to look attractive, it's more important they look right for the kind of person I imagine. Two of them are grouchy old men, one is a cat, one's a lizard. Even the ones who could be considered attractive tend to have scars and questionable fashion sense.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Cactus_Back
    Cactus_Back
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Extremely important. My personal endgame is pretty much designing the perfect combinations of outfits and collectibles (adornments, skins, personalities, mounts, pets etc.) for all my characters. And all of that has to be lore-friendly and tie in with the characters' backstories.

I actually haven't managed to get the ideal result for any of my characters yet but I'm pretty close for two of them, only missing the right weapon for one and the right mount for the other.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    What good is having an effective character if they don't look good doing it?
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo