The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How important is your character’s appearance?

• NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Very. I'm a picky person and I will remake characters several times over so I'm happy with how they end up in game. It's very frustrating notice something later on that annoys me regarding a character.

But the "appearance" doesn't always equal as hot as possible. It's more to fit the vision of the character I have as good as possible. Like I don't get why people dislike orcs because they are "ugly". To me, they aren't ugly, they are just different. I also despite it when people try make a non-human race look human to make them more attractive. It looks wrong to me, who likes to make them good looking or interesting in their own way.
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on December 21, 2020 1:13PM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very important
    Tandor wrote: »
    Faiza wrote: »
    I cured vampirism on my main, not because of the impending changes due to Greymoor, but because I despised the way vampirism changed her naturally bronzed, sun-kissed appearance that I spent a very long time in the character creator picking out haha.

Also, I'm very fond of my orc :( I don't think they're ugly at all.

I agree with you on orcs, they look fine in ESO. However, while I understand your missing the naturally bronzed and sun-kissed appearance on your main character, isn't that a major part of what being a vampire is about?

Skyrim did vampire skin better
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    I might like ESO’s orcs better if they felt more unique. For example, all their hairstyle choices are the same as humans/elves. Just seems odd they don’t have a couple specific race hair styles to choose from like Khajit/Argonian do. Also, it would be nice if we could edit their tusks/mouths more. Why does my mouth have to be open? I don’t want to be a mouth breather.

You could make your Orc look fierce in Skyrim. ESO make orcs walking around looking like they are missing half their brain and are constipated.
    Edited by UGotBenched91 on December 20, 2020 2:01PM
  • Nirntrotter
    Nirntrotter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Top priority for me. Can't help it. /shrug
    Grand Warlord Arodel, Gryphon Heart
    <Serenity>
    AD MagDK, *2014, PC-EU | 49k+ achievement points
  • Bobby's_UserID
    Bobby's_UserID
    ✭✭✭
    Important
    Important enough to grind Fire Walker for the black color and make the colors match my mount, but not so important that I would spend hours going through all my motives to get the perfect costume.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    The Outfit Station is the true Endgame.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    What good is having an effective character if they don't look good doing it?
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    The Outfit Station is the true Endgame.

Exactly.
  • ImSoPro
    ImSoPro
    ✭✭✭
    Very important
    “Look good, you feel good. You feel good, you play good. You play good, they pay good.” - Deion Sanders
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    [sarcasm] But remember kids, it's "just cosmetic" and cosmetics don't matter! It's totally okay for companies to remove content from the game and sell it back to the customer at a premium when it's "just cosmetic!" [/sarcasm]
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    important enough that I spent some crowns on hairstyle and adornment packs, just to have a facsimile of barbershop available. majority of my crown shop purchases are outfits, closely followed by pets and only then furnishings.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    what a silly question.
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Very important
    One of my favorite aspects of ESO is I easily can customize my character to a style I enjoy.

I don't have to compromise wearing the best gear but it's butt ugly....
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    what a silly question.

What a silly response.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Neutral
    It's what's on the inside that counts....like how much dps they can pull
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Very important
    On a scale to 1-10.. "Never became a vampire" important.

Not all characters have a 'proper' outfit yet though. Slowly figuring those out with whatever I have. I spent hours in some character creators in an attempt to get an idea just right, after browsing all of the options.

YES! In all other aspects of the game I'm a pretty hardcore min/max-er, but I refuse to become a vampire or play as an Altmer because of appearance.

No, skins don't properly hide Vampirism. And high elves are too... Tall.
    Edited by SidraWillowsky on December 20, 2020 5:20PM
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Very important
    Stovahkiin wrote: »
    Very important. I’ve deleted an absurd amount of characters in this game just because they didn’t feel quite “right” to me.

I’m glad I’m not alone. Currently trying to make a stamsorc but can’t get past the character creation screen. I’ve tried orc, khajit, and for kicks an Argonian but nothing is jumping out.

Most of my stam characters are cute, smol Bosmer. Dunmer are typically my second choice, and dark elf may fit better with the Daedric sorc theme. Maybe try that?
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Very important
    I'm really big into character design and story writing, especially with my TES OCs so appearance is as important as it can get.

I've spent crowns on appearance & name change tokens many times. Most of those though are for a ''single'' character whom I have three different versions of because I want to play her as 3 different classes (nightblade, templar, and necro). If I change her appearance/name title I kinda have to do it 3 times. It has only happened like three times itself thankfully. Wish I only kept her to one class though. I might get rid of the necro one day since it fits her the least most of the 3.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Orcs aren't ugly.... it's those Bretons that are hard to make look good.
    Edited by Starlight_Whisper on December 20, 2020 6:03PM
  • AlienMagi
    AlienMagi
    ✭✭✭
    Very important
    I'm just glad I'm not the only one.
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    duh. obvious
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    WeerW3ir wrote: »
    duh. obvious

Eh I’ve played long enough to see people who don’t care and to talk to people who only care about their numbers compared to appearance.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neutral
    It's important, but things like racial passives and backstories are also important, thus I have plenty of Orcs and my main is still a vampire. However, I do love the stage 2 vamp look, and I think my Orcs look great, so it wasn't a big compromise. The good thing is that there's always a few options that work well for a certain role, so there's some freedom in having a certain look that you like, and nice passives.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neutral
    I want to say somewhere between "Important" and "Neutral," but it sort of varies depending on my characters-- whether they're my main, my second, or "just alts," as well as what level they are.

Edit: Just have to insert this scene...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dwC7BtxD0k
    Edited by SeaGtGruff on December 20, 2020 7:17PM
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    love, the Only thing that matters is the way you look.
    allways ...

f438ebea83b93e850a51fe123676dc58.gif
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Fashion is endgame. :)
  • vibeborn
    vibeborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    Their appearances are important, but not very important. I like for them to look good (despite what other people might think) but I don't spend more than 5 minutes on them
  • Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Supremely, and it fills me with relief to see there are others as focussed, potentially as crazy, if not more than me.

Like some, I have also deleted fully mount trained, max level toons because I've realised X room, on y alliance with a specific name isn't fitting... And just deleted.

I have one of each class and made the hard decision to stick with just one, not two with a Magicka and Stam variant.

I take immense pride in my toons appearance, and relish when people message me telling how wicked my toons look.

I often get disappointed at the fashion threads in this game and think most people have taste in their *** and couldn't design some thing good/fashionable/tasteful if they tried.

I have multiple appearance slots per character and change between frequently.

My favourite would have to be this Alessian style Minotaur Gladiator look on my Templar, or the dark Reachman appearance I have on my DragonKnight.
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    Just as immersion is important in computer games (especially RPG's) so character appearance is an important part of immersion.

Not the be-all-and-end-all, but important nevertheless :)
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    What good is having an effective character if they don't look good doing it?
    As in an alt you don't like become an bank alt, only bis for them is maxed out inventory :)
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Appearance is MY meta. I always have a character in mind when I make a new toon, I know exactly how I want them to look, what race they will be and what gear I picture them with and roughly what skills I want to see them using. Because of this I've had some pretty bad combinations, like my Breton stamsorc DPS. I finally changed him over to magicka because the poor thing died all the time, but to console myself I made him a one-bar build and I've put his swords on the back bar so that when I want to see him with them I can just switch. That's how important appearance is to me.

I also have only one dark elf toon, because those forehead ridges are UGH. I hate them. I've hidden them fairly well on him with a coronet.

I could not make a bishie orc so I gave up. xD It just ain't happening with that jaw. They look so great from the neck down that it's disappointing but that's what I get for being picky. My friend has a lady orc that has a similar issue and we have been shamefully calling her Butterface because I'm bad and I should feel bad and I do.